PDA

View Full Version : $$$$

W3WN
11-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Well, I just blew about $6000. And I didn't even get a decent radio out of it...

The wife has been bugging me for months about remodeling the kitchen. So I figured I'd put an end to it tonight. Made an appointment with my friend Arnie; he works in Kitchen Design at Home Depot 4176. Granted, he's the best... I figured that a proper remodel would cost too much for now, and that would be that.

I was wrong. Arnie found a way to make it work.

$2700 and change for the cabinets. (I'm rounding numbers here). Including a few for free as part of the special -- cabinet hardware (the ever infamous knobs) are included too.
About $1000 for the counter top.
Figure another $1000 for the basic cabinet install, allow another $1000 for related expenses -- removal of the old kitchen, some rewiring, and so forth. And that includes a new sink and faucet.

$5700 right there. Figure another $300 for the new dishwasher on top of that, if we get the one on sale right now (and we will...).

$6000. And there's a $10,000 limit on the Home Depot Credit Card. Did I mention that it's in her name? So I can't stop her. Of course, even though the card is in her name, guess who pays the bill?

Damn. I could get two Omni VII's for that. Or a new Eagle and a linear. But noooooooooo...

W5RB
11-16-2010, 11:19 PM
Well , at least get the electricians to run you a 240 circuit for an amp while they're there . That's practically free when they're there already , right ?

KG4CGC
11-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Well , at least get the electricians to run you a 240 circuit for an amp while they're there . That's practically free when they're there already , right ?There's a bright idea! She doesn't even have to know about it and a kvetch free weekend when the time rolls around!

KA5PIU
11-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Hello.

I can not understand why a woman needs a new kitchen when the old one works just fine. ;)

KJ3N
11-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Damn. I could get two Omni VII's for that. Or a new Eagle and a linear. But noooooooooo...

Or two K3 kits each with 100 watt PA, 2nd RX, 400 Hz CW filter, 1.8 Khz SSB filter, and IF out / transverter / RX ant board.

kc7jty
11-17-2010, 12:15 AM
$6k is a bargain. A complete kitchen redo is over double that.

NQ6U
11-17-2010, 01:11 AM
What the hell--you would have just spend it all on hookers and blow anyhow.

KG4CGC
11-17-2010, 01:17 AM
What the hell--you would have just spend it all on hookers and blow anyhow.
He has a good point.

W4RLR
11-17-2010, 04:36 AM
What the hell--you would have just spend it all on hookers and blow anyhow.And any spare change he would have squandered.

N8YX
11-17-2010, 07:23 AM
And any spare change he would have squandered used to bid in true "rat bastard" fashion on eBay.
Fixed, because someone else ALWAYS wins most of those auctions... :whistle:

PA5COR
11-17-2010, 08:35 AM
^If he doesn't drop off in a sudden sleep that is...;)

W1GUH
11-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Six grand'll get you a beautiful S-Line station....

K7SGJ
11-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Ya just can't put a price on peace and harmony, and six grand for a new kitchen is way cheap.

KA5PIU
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Ya just can't put a price on peace and harmony, and six grand for a new kitchen is way cheap.

Hello.

One of the reasons I have never married is that I have yet to find the right one.
I want one that can cook, and I will make sure she gets a nice kitchen, in the restaurant she will be working at. ;)
I want one that thinks remodeling is just peachy, and can do carpentry with the best of them. ;)
I want one that thinks chores are something she has to do. ;)

ka8ncr
11-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Home improvement projects are an open capital budget opportunity, if you know what I mean. I figure your wife is smart enough to know that you can't create great 90 degree cuts with an Icom anything, she might not know all the great uses for a new radial arm saw, a compound miter box, portable table saw, perhaps a couple great Bosch cordless drills. An air nail gun is great for putting up new trim pieces.

I can't push through much on my accountant wife, but the second she wants a remodeling project done, I somehow find the means to get some great new tools.

K7SGJ
11-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Home improvement projects are an open capital budget opportunity, if you know what I mean. I figure your wife is smart enough to know that you can't create great 90 degree cuts with an Icom anything, she might not know all the great uses for a new radial arm saw, a compound miter box, portable table saw, perhaps a couple great Bosch cordless drills. An air nail gun is great for putting up new trim pieces.

I can't push through much on my accountant wife, but the second she wants a remodeling project done, I somehow find the means to get some great new tools.

Boy, that's a true story. I got all the good tools when we built this place, 20 years ago. Now it's time for some new kitchen cabinets, and naturally, that can't be done well with old tools. Besides, even when a few new tools are factored in with the wood, hardware, etc., it really doesn't jack up the price anywhere near what store bought costs. Plus, I enjoy making sawdust.

NA4BH
11-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Hello.

One of the reasons I have never married is that I have yet to find the right one.
I want one that can cook, and I will make sure she gets a nice kitchen, in the restaurant she will be working at. ;)
I want one that thinks remodeling is just peachy, and can do carpentry with the best of them. ;)
I want one that thinks chores are something she has to do. ;)

Rudy, you always have your best friends

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/shanghailaine/hand_sanitizer.gif

W7XF
11-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Rudy, you always have your best friends

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/shanghailaine/hand_sanitizer.gif

TMI!!!

KG4CGC
11-18-2010, 07:15 PM
TMI!!!
TMI is hearing about what he does with the other hand.
Now that's what I call, 511!

KA5PIU
11-18-2010, 07:18 PM
TMI is hearing about what he does with the other hand.
Now that's what I call, 511!

Hello.

If you only knew. ;)

NA4BH
11-18-2010, 07:31 PM
http://www.puppetsbypost.com/image/products/large/Finger_Puppet_Emmerald_Hummingbird-pc002140-1L.JPG.jpg

W3WN
11-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Boy, that's a true story. I got all the good tools when we built this place, 20 years ago. Now it's time for some new kitchen cabinets, and naturally, that can't be done well with old tools. Besides, even when a few new tools are factored in with the wood, hardware, etc., it really doesn't jack up the price anywhere near what store bought costs. Plus, I enjoy making sawdust.
Can we talk about your old tools? I could use a new (to me) belt sander, miter saw...

W3WN
11-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Six grand'll get you a beautiful S-Line station....
Yes, but for that money, I want a rig that works, not a museum piece.

(That's not a knock on Collins, that's a knock on the way so many of those S-Lines got abused)

W3WN
11-18-2010, 08:55 PM
I figured it was going to be over twice that -- just for the cabinets. But you have to keep in mind I have a tiny kitchen. 8 x 8 foot. Not a lot of counter or cabinet space, especially when you leave room for the stove & fridge.

They haven't even come out for the official measure yet (tomorrow at 2200 Z) and already she's second guessing the design...

N7RJD
11-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Hello.

I can not understand why a woman needs a new kitchen when the old one works just fine. ;)

At one time my wife wanted a dishwasher. She said we didn't have one.
I told her I have one, it just doesn't work very well. While still recovering
and on pain meds I seem to have signed a check to pay for a new
dishwasher.:rofl::rofl:

N7RJD
11-18-2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.puppetsbypost.com/image/products/large/Finger_Puppet_Emmerald_Hummingbird-pc002140-1L.JPG.jpg

An illustrated view of why humming birds hum.

W3WN
11-18-2010, 11:28 PM
At one time my wife wanted a dishwasher. She said we didn't have one.
I told her I have one, it just doesn't work very well. While still recovering
and on pain meds I seem to have signed a check to pay for a new
dishwasher.:rofl::rofl:
Funny how that happens.

I still maintain that we don't need a dishwasher. Not while we have a dog. When Lucy Furr is done, the plate is clean... well, at least there's nothing on it...

KA5PIU
11-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Hello.

I can just see it now.
Why the hell do we need a dishwasher? just eat out of the damn TV dinner tray! ;)

kf0rt
11-19-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm thinking of ordering some of these and doing it myself:
http://www.instockkitchens.com/

If that don't put the fear into her, nuthin' will... :lol:

W3WN
11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
The dirty deed is done. Charged the card Saturday afternoon, and things are rolling.

Right now, the toll stands at ~ $6100. That includes the new dishwasher & OTR microwave (which we got at $200 off each, part of the "pre-Black Friday" special), countertop, and so forth. Does not include the cabinet installation cost, or the sink & faucet, which we have to pick out between now and roughly the end of December. Oh, and she now wants to add a garbage disposal, so figure in another ~$100 for an Insinkerator (of course, not the cheapest one!), plus some electrical and plumbing work for that...

So... consider this advance notice of an invitation to destruction. We figure that the installation will be mid-January, considering the lead times and the upcoming Christmas break (most manufacturers take a 2 week break at the end of the year). We're going to try and get it scheduled for a Monday morning start.

Thus, the plan is to dismantle as much of the kitchen cabinetry as possible prior to the scheduled install, hopefully that Sunday, saving the installers the time (and cost to us) to do it. Whatever can be salvaged will end up relocated to the garage for future storage use.

We'll have pizza. And I'll have some cold beer in the fridge...

KJ3N
11-21-2010, 10:59 PM
We'll have pizza. And I'll have some cold beer in the fridge...

What? No hookers and blow? :wtf: :lame:

Count me out. :irked: :hand:

:rofl: :rofl:

KG4CGC
11-21-2010, 11:02 PM

:rofl: :rofl:Doesn't go with the pizza.

KA5PIU
11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Doesn't go with the pizza.

Hello.

Everything goes with Pizza!

W3WN
11-22-2010, 09:55 PM

:rofl: :rofl:
Those come later.

KJ3N
11-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Those come later.

I thought the customer always came first... :rofl:

ki4itv
11-23-2010, 12:37 AM
Hookers never really come (sic). It's an advertising ploy.
Both the strippers I dated told me so.

W3WN
11-23-2010, 09:48 PM
Those come later.I thought the customer always came first... :rofl:
Do I really have to explain this one? If the customer comes first, then by extension...

Aw, you're a smart --guy, you'll figure it out.

NA4BH
11-23-2010, 09:55 PM

You are my new hero.

VE7DCW
11-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Hookers never really come (sic). It's an advertising ploy.

Frank: "Horatio.... the victim was found lying on the floor with semen in her ear"

Horatio Caine: (putting on his sunglasses) "Well Frank ....it's obvious our victim saw her killer coming....." :rofl: