PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving menu?

al2n
11-15-2010, 10:41 PM
What are you guys doing for turkey day this year?

We are going to commit the gravest of sins and will order one of those heat and eat meals this year. I am working till 3am Wednesday night/Thursday morning and will have to be back at work at 3am on Friday morning.

Given the need to sleep we decided to forgo the customary family pig out and have a quiet day by ourselves. Going to order a turkey dinner from Safeway. $45 for a bird, stuffing, mashed taters, gravy, cranberry sauce, rolls and a pie. All cooked and ready to go.

We will add sweet taters, salad, and the infamous green bean casserole to round out the feast.

kd8dey
11-15-2010, 10:44 PM
canceled....

NA4BH
11-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Heading to the in-laws for the feast. I love turkey (the bird, not so much the country), anything that died for me and had bread stuffed up it's ass has to be good. :lol: :lol:

NQ6U
11-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm tellin' yah, I wish I could order one of those heat and eat meals. Unfortunately, we care for the mother-in-law who, for health reasons, has to keep to a pretty strict diet regimen--no sodium, limited refined sugars, minimum fat. Also, she grew up during the Great Depression on a farm in Mississippi eating mostly bland stuff that her father could grow and so doesn't much care for highly-seasoned foods. That gives you an idea of what the food is like here most of the time. Feh. The XYL and I sometimes fantasize about a meal of brown sugar glazed salt pork with habañero chiles...

KG4CGC
11-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I suggested that this year, we stuff the bird with rolled grape leaves. The grape leaves are rolled (or stuffed) with you choice of slightly fatty meat and rice.

WØTKX
11-15-2010, 11:10 PM
With a turmeric and curry rub?

(dolmades very tasty)

KA5PIU
11-15-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm tellin' yah, I wish I could order one of those heat and eat meals. Unfortunately, we care for the mother-in-law who, for health reasons, has to keep to a pretty strict diet regimen--no sodium, limited refined sugars, minimum fat. Also, she grew up during the Great Depression on a farm in Mississippi eating mostly bland stuff that her father could grow and so doesn't much care for highly-seasoned foods. That gives you an idea of what the food is like here most of the time. Feh. The XYL and I sometimes fantasize about a meal of brown sugar glazed salt pork with habañero chiles...

Hello.

If she were here she would be dead in a week!
I had somebody explain that they and their kid needed this special diet or they would die, screaming at me!.
This was when Orange Texas was hit Katrina and I was working to help rebuild.
I would spend the night in the sleeper of the semi tractor at the job site.
The rest, including little mess screech, were temps and pretty much had no place to go but the tents.
Since they had little in the way of food I would bring food from Houston as I made that trip every night to bring supplies and take salvage.
I would bring stuff that was easy and cheap, like a case of saltines and graham crackers and a can of instant coffee.
If I made 2 runs I would bring baloney and bread and a jar of mayo, just enough for a quick snack for 30 people.
I finally said the hell with it and kept away from the temps altogether.

KG4CGC
11-15-2010, 11:43 PM
With a turmeric and curry rub?

(dolmades very tasty)
Turmeric maybe but not with the grape leaves. Curry? There is a place here called The Pita House that made pretty decent Middle Eastern food. They are located close to the community college and over the years, more people from India and Pakistan went to school there and came to The Pit House for lunch. The Pita House changed the menu to suit their tastes. In other words, they added curry and ruined everything. Who the h3II eats curry on spinach?
The style of grape leaves I am familiar with are closer to Greek I guess.

kc7jty
11-16-2010, 12:30 AM
It's in the Salvation Army's hands, and they DEFINITELY frown on bringing your own wine, even if it's (white wine) camo'ed in a (plastic) bottled water bottle.

WØTKX
11-16-2010, 01:16 AM
A little curry goes a long way, I like it best when it's subtle.

This year, I might get some fancy seafood for thanksgiving. King Crab would make for a fine feast to give thanks for.
Maybe have a live lobster shipped overnight, as I've done that for New Years festivities. But crab is tastier, IMHO.

KG4CGC
11-16-2010, 02:56 AM
A little curry goes a long waySingapore Chow Mai Phun:

1 (6 ounce) package skinny rice noodles (py mai phun)
1/2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
cooking spray
1 tablespoon peanut oil, divided
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1/2 cup red bell pepper, cut in strips
1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced (I used 8 more oz of shrimp, you could also use cubed tofu)
1 tablespoon curry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry) powder
8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup sliced green onion (1-inch slices)
1/2 lb snow peas, sliced thinly
1/2 lb mung bean sprouts

Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 25 mins

1 Cook rice noodles according to package directions, leaving out any fat or salt that may be called for.
2 Combine broth, soy sauce, sugar and salt, and stir together till sugar dissolves.
3 Heat large nonstick skillet over med-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray.
4 Add 1 tsp oil.
5 Add egg; stir-fry 30 seconds or until soft-scrambled, stirring constantly.
6 Remove from pan, and set aside.
7 Wipe down pan with cloth or paper towel.
8 Heat remaining oil (about 2 tsp) in pan over med-high heat.
9 Add bell pepper, ginger, red pepper, and garlic; stir-fry 15 seconds.
10 Add snow peas, bean sprouts, curry, and shrimp; stir fry two or three minutes, until shrimp is nearly done.
11 Stir in egg, noodles and broth mixture; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
12 Sprinkle with green onions.

W3MIV
11-16-2010, 07:20 AM
I am still juggling the "guest" list, so do not yet know the final number of vandals and visigoths from the xyl's family who are planning to descend upon me. Generally, I do the turkey with *my* traditional stuffing; mashed whites, mashed yams (sweetened); sauerkraut (something Billhelm will understand -- it's a regional thing) and either green beans or mixed greens done "Suthron." I make a real gravy from scratch, which the v and v gobble in gallons, and finish with some real pumpkin pies if I feel like making the crust -- which is a sweetened mix containing real butter, soft flour and both buttermilk and cornmeal (don't laugh, it's the best pie crust I have ever tasted!).

I don't mind the cooking; I luv the eating. The PITA is rolling up the newspapers I spread under the dining table after the meal.

In-laws! Who needs 'em?

kc7jty
11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Pie dough:
Flour
salt
water
leaf lard

kf0rt
11-16-2010, 05:30 PM
We'll probably do the standard stuffed turkey fare this year. Wife, me and my 84-yo Dad. The other side of the local family has opted out of this round; first time in forever, literally (was it something I said?). I think they want bigger and we're into smaller, so we all win.

If this continues to next year, maybe we'll get away from the turkey.

ETA: Will be looking forward to Albi's post-holiday report. I'd ask for pictures, but that might be a bit too much. :snicker:

AA0CX
11-16-2010, 06:28 PM
I'll do like I usually do: Turkey breast, homemade dressing (in a crockpot, onion, celery, salt and pepper and chicken broth) mashed taters, gravy, pumpkin OR mincemeat pie, special salad my late mom would always fix for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and a glass or two of Bailey's after dinner. An evening in front of the fireplace, maybe some ham radio if I'm not blitzed, and later "A Christmas Story" on tv if I can find it.

WØTKX
11-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Don't shoot yer eye out, Ralphie. :mrgreen:

kc7jty
11-16-2010, 09:07 PM
sauerkraut (something Billhelm will understand -- it's a regional thing)

Sorry, I'm lost on this one. Most exotic turkey stuffing ingredient I ever heard of was oysters that this black family I knew always used on Turkey Day.
I would always hang around with big smiles that time of year hoping to get an invite but it never materialized.
Friend of mine had to marry the daughter to get any of that oyster stuffing.

WØTKX
11-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Oyster or crab stuffed salmon... :agree: There's some interesting recipes on the net.

http://visualrecipes.com/recipe-details/recipe_id/142/Crab-Stuffed-Salmon/

http://www.bbq.co.uk/bbq-recipes/seafood/bbq-oyster-stuffed-salmon-fillets-recipe.htm

W3MIV
11-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Pie dough:
Flour
salt
water
leaf lard

Yup, that's the traditional recipe -- and it's a good one. Many object to all lard as shortening (for some strange reason lard has gotten a bad rap in some circles), so I used to try to find the cheap brands of vegetable shortening that contain some animal fat; now I will use sweet or salted butter (but not oleo). I have even tried bacon drippings once to make a pot-pie crust. It had a pronounced flavor, and handled like an oil crust -- which I don't particularly like.

For fruit pies, I prefer to use "soft" or cake flour (1 3/4c), corn meal (1/4c), 2-3 tbs sugar, one stick butter, 1/2 tsp salt and substitute buttermilk for the water -- generally around 1/3c more or less depending upon the amount of moisture in the flour. I use a Cuisinart to cut in frozen butter. Don't overwork it, of course; ball it in wax paper, and let it rest in the fridge for about thirty minutes prior to rolling. If you can find it, sprinkle the top crust with turbinado to finish.

You can use all-purpose flour (and I often have to), but the crust will not be quite so short as with soft flour -- gluten is the enemy of a good pie crust. I luv short pie crust. I use a stone-ground corn meal that a friend in Louisiana sends me when she has hers ground locally; it is very moist (unlike the stuff in the round paper box). The buttermilk I make up from a commercial powder since small quantities of buttermilk are hard to find hereabouts, and I would not drink the stuff if you held a gun to my temple.

Try it, Billhelm, be adventuresome; you might like this crust.

W3MIV
11-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Sorry, I'm lost on this one.

I'm surprised. It is not used as a stuffing, but as a normal side for Thanksgiving. The tradition invaded Maryland from Pennsylvania, crossing the M-D Line sometime before the Revolution. My Virginia-born xyl thinks it a primitive Yanqui peculiarity, ergo I balance it with some mixed greens (collard, kale and turnip) or green beans simmered for six months (or so it seems) with ham hocks or smoked neck bones.

WØTKX
11-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Yea, lard works good for pie crust. So does suet. Nice and flaky, but sturdy. :yes:

I've used a little hazelnut or almond butter mixed in too, that's real tasty.

NA4BH
11-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Yea, lard works good for pie crust. So does suet. Nice and flaky, but sturdy. :yes:

I've used a little hazelnut or almond butter mixed in too, that's real tasty.

Should you desire a very tasty pie crust (homemade) crush pecans and mix with the dough before you form the crust.

EDIT TO ADD: Should you be frying chicken, use crushed potato chips in the coating instead of bread or cracker crumbs.

KG4CGC
11-16-2010, 09:42 PM
use crushed potato chips in the coating instead of bread or cracker crumbs. Used panko and crushed Doritos once on a camping trip. Excellent.

NQ6U
11-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Don't shoot yer eye out, Ralphie. :mrgreen:

I actually have a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. Haven't shot my out with it yet.

kc7jty
11-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Try it, Billhelm, be adventuresome; you might like this crust.

The buttermilk sounds interesting. Plenty of store packaged buttermilk here for making biscuits.
It was a friend's wife here that sold me on the pie dough. She was from rural Indiana and baked all the pies (from scratch) for a local restaurant.
Super good all. She told me a real pie NEVER uses sweetener in the dough. There should be a contrast between the tart, flaky dough and the sweetness of the filling.

Often lard has a heavy, piggy, farmyard characteristic to it that turns people off. That and the fact it's animal fat. Quality leaf lard has no off flavors.

kc7jty
11-16-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm surprised. It is not used as a stuffing, but as a normal side for Thanksgiving. The tradition invaded Maryland from Pennsylvania, crossing the M-D Line sometime before the Revolution. My Virginia-born xyl thinks it a primitive Yanqui peculiarity, ergo I balance it with some mixed greens (collard, kale and turnip) or green beans simmered for six months (or so it seems) with ham hocks or smoked neck bones.

Collards & ham hocks done right are divine, as are Chinese mustard greens with oyster sauce.
How big is scrapple there? That's a Pennsylvania "Dutch" thing. This old couple I knew from the dutchy country called it "Panhouse."

My mother always made scrapple. The right way. I later came to find about 90% of Philadelphia scrapple lovers don't have a clue how to make it right.

Ma also made sauerkraut with pork in the pressure cooker. I took some left overs, that I made, to work once and gave this snobby German woman some.
Real gruff as she tried it for she knew it wouldn't be good. I was standing next and slightly behind her as she sat. I'll never forget, with a real surprised look she turns to me and says "This is really good!"

Maybe some spice in the kraut, and with pork, sausage, or old fashioned franks, mashed taters, and beer. That's it!

KG4CGC
11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Collards & ham hocks done right are divine, as are Chinese mustard greens with oyster sauce.
How big is scrapple there? That's a Pennsylvania "Dutch" thing. This old couple I knew from the dutchy country called it "Panhouse."

My mother always made scrapple. The right way. I later came to find about 90% of Philadelphia scrapple lovers don't have a clue how to make it right.
The mention of scrapple reminded me that I am only an hour or so drive away from the liver mush capital of the US.

WØTKX
11-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Pork and sauerkraut in the pressure cooker was how we always ate it... great smell.
With potato pancakes and a sour cream based green herb sauce on the side.

Good stuff. Excellent farts. :lol:

W3MIV
11-17-2010, 07:44 AM
I don't like my 'kraut cooked long (in fact, I luv the stuff raw). I don't wash it or pour off the liquor. For a two-pound bag of kraut (I won't use canned kraut), I put the meat season in the pot first (could be neck bones, smoked pork chop, ham hock, etc), then a medium onion I have cut into quarters, four or five dried juniper berries, a heaping tsp of caraway seeds (I know you hate them, Billhelm) and finally the kraut on top of all. I use all the liquor. If the batch is too dry, add either water or a very dry white wine and salt. Medium heat until the kraut comes just to the simmer, then turn the fire back to keep it at serving temperature.

One of the real treats when I was a kid -- we had huge T'day dinners back in the fifties, sometimes as many as thirty people -- was when the ol' lady would make drop dumplings in the kraut liquor next day (the First Day of Leftover) -- that was never a Black Friday!

W3MIV
11-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Scrapple? I love scrapple, but the xyl is a savage from Virginia to whom scrapple is some sort of greasy offal to be avoided. I don't get to eat it often; never make my own, buying prepackaged. I used to like Rapa, which came out of DE. Haven't followed the scrapple market for a while -- though many trap clubs here offer it as a normal breakfast component with eggs.

When I was in Germany, I had a regular butcher who made fresh scrapple every Thursday (he butchered a hog every Wednesday). He absolutely refused to reveal his recipe, but the stuff was very spicy (not "hot" spicy) and divine. It was very much pinker than the stuff I get here, and I believe that was from pork blood.

kc7jty
11-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Rapa is one of the better supermarket pre packaged brands. Berks from Reading, PA isn't bad either. The best is fresh from the farmer's market although a lot of it is too bland for me.
True German style sauerkraut is over cooked to mush and too bland. I don't like it your way either. Somewhere in between for me.
Ma never made scrapple, she prepared it. Takes at least an hour to cook it right.

KA5PIU
11-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Hello.

This is the Anglo version of the Mexican thanksgiving.
http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/introtomexicanfood/tp/topthanksgiving.htm
http://www.saveur.com/article/-/Mexican-Style-Thanksgiving-Ideas
This is what Mexicans prefer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchilada
And please remember, Do feed the Mexican. ;)

KG4CGC
11-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Pork and sauerkraut in the pressure cooker was how we always ate it... great smell.
With potato pancakes and a sour cream based green herb sauce on the side.

Good stuff. Excellent farts. :lol:Do you fart in a wine glass or just bend straight forward to sniff them?

N8GAV
11-19-2010, 05:05 PM
Well I know that this year I can't help the XYL"s Church group fixing dinners for the SR. citizens and the poor because of my knee. I enjoy doing that, so I will be doing a Turkey and all the trimming's with help from one of my daughters and sister in law.

NQ6U
11-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I ordered an fresh (not frozen) free-range turkey for pickup the Wednesday before T-day. He/she is probably still walking around right now.

kc7jty
11-19-2010, 09:14 PM
http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/California+Turkey+Farm+Raises+Mainstay+Thanksgivin g+p0gTPTgb9wKl.jpg

KG4CGC
11-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Mmmm! Deep fried gizzard chips.

W3MIV
11-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Mmmm! Deep fried gizzard chips.

Yum, a fowl chitt'in'! Or, would you call it a fowl "cracklin'?"

KG4CGC
11-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Beard Meat! LOL!

n2ize
11-22-2010, 09:09 PM
This year will be a traditional Thanksgiving. I'll be spending it with my folks. My brother and my nieces will be over, probably will spend the night. My Mom bought a fresh turkey and will be preparing the traditional dinner. Roast turkey with stuffing, gravy, yams, sweet potatoes, cranberry, corn, and other good stuff. After dinner I'll talk with my eldest niece about her first semester in college, her calculus class, her physics courses, etc. As the evening wears on I'll retire for sleep and think sadly about the girl I met 20 years ago on black Friday who passed away 10 years ago, and I'll reflect on the wonderful conversations we once had. God willing I'll awaken the next morning and get dressed for work and start looking forward to Christmas and the future and be thankful for another year gone by.

Holiday's are a time for happiness, sadness, reflection on the past and hope for the future.

kd8dey
11-22-2010, 11:56 PM
I ordered an fresh (not frozen) free-range turkey for pickup the Wednesday before T-day. He/she is probably still walking around right now.

I used to get mine from here
http://www.bowmanlandes.com/
Only a 20 min drive from the QTH.

This year maybe I'll try a Bologna "Rolled Roast"

W3MIV
11-25-2010, 07:11 AM
So, it is here and I have to cook for savages. Arrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh! Twenty-two pound boid. "Casting pearls... etc."

I am hard bent on doing things the easy way today. Pray for me. Hope I avoid divorce court. Ah, the evil of it all...

kf0rt
11-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Can we get pictures, Albi? Your descriptions of Thanksgiving are now part of MY tradition. ;)

Cooking for one 84-year old man today, and he's the perfect guest. This'll be easier than the norm, no matter how the boid is sliced.

W3MIV
11-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Can we get pictures, Albi? Your descriptions of Thanksgiving are now part of MY tradition. ;)

Cooking for one 84-year old man today, and he's the perfect guest. This'll be easier than the norm, no matter how the boid is sliced.

Wish I were with you and your dad, Rob. Hope you and your family enjoy the day. I shall endeavor to survive it.

kf0rt
11-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Wish I were with you and your dad, Rob. Hope you and your family enjoy the day. I shall endeavor to survive it.

You'd enjoy each other, Albi. He's got a PhD in American History and is well read, even if he's right-of-center these days (that acorn fell far from the tree).

Boid's in the oven; almost time to start thinking of booze or something.

May you MORE than survive. ;)

NQ6U
11-25-2010, 12:23 PM
9:23 AM PST, starting in on the giblet stock for the gravy...

ki4itv
11-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Just got my hands on the gravy boat, and the gods have blessed the gravy boat with its bountiful goodness.

kf0rt
11-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Just got my hands on the gravy boat, and the gods have blessed the gravy boat with its bountiful goodness.

:agree:

About time to check the boid here. And, find out from the YF if I'm in trubble for not doin' enuff.

NQ6U
11-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Stock is simmering, cranberry sauce (whole berry) is done and cooling, croutons for stuffing/dressing are toasted. I can take a breather for a while now.

WØTKX
11-25-2010, 03:10 PM
I will have my crab stuffed salmon for supper, but I couldn't stand the idea of not having "soup for days".

It smells great here... turkey thighs and roast pork chunks cooked together all night... and I just tasted the results while fixing breakfast. :drool:
Turned down the heat and added veggies and pressed some garlic in... this will be a "chemistry creation". No salt. Will add more seasoning later.

Baking some bread in a few hours, the frozen dough defrost trick.

kf0rt
11-25-2010, 03:17 PM
'Boid about done, everything on schedule.

ki4itv
11-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Damn, you guys out west eat late.;)

al2n
11-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Dinner is in about three hours here. Bird is in the oven and we are busy munching on olives and cheese till then.

WØTKX
11-25-2010, 03:43 PM
For Albert, and anyone else that can appreciate:

http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/35/25/48a39bf5dae106af93d6e696144ea518.jpg
http://5.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/59/15/0b4c9346147a5940451ad35aaa22ec27.jpg

W3MIV
11-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanx for the thought, but my in-laws eating chart would resemble something put together by Charles Darwin and Margaret Mead.

WØTKX
11-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Oh.

Instead of being presented with stereotypes by age, sex, color, class, or religion, children must have the opportunity to learn that within each range, some people are loathsome and some are delightful. ~ Margaret Mead

kf0rt
11-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Done here; guest just left and I'm almost still sober.

al2n
11-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Just finished the meal here and am enjoying a nice adult beverage while watching the kids play on the Wii.

That heat and eat meal we bought from Safeway was not too bad.

kf0rt
11-25-2010, 09:19 PM
That heat and eat meal we bought from Safeway was not too bad.

What'd you get and what'd it cost, Mike? Might have to try that next time.

We cooked the typical boid here. 18 lbs, stuffed (love the in-bird stuffing -- wife makes it just like Mom). Mashed taters (wife needs to add more milk and "whip it" better), salad, crescent rolls out of the exploding tube. Appetizer o' shrimp in a bed of lettuce. Dad brought a bottle of rhubarb wine (really) from (I think) the Amana Colonies in Iowa. Not horrible, but a bit sweet. And a mixed berry pie from Village Inn. We sent half of the leftovers home with Dad, and a doggie bag of dark meat for his dog, and I'm sure I left something out.

Almost a trailer trash affair, but that's just how we like it. Too old for seconds here; five hours of cookin' for 30 minutes of eatin', but there's a few turkey sammiches left for the rest of the weekend.

Oh, and in and out of the "shack" today; got the scanner on -- pretty quiet. Heard one stolen car recovery and an intrusion alarm at Victoria's Secrets (no joke). Couldn't wait for the Black... Oh, nevermind.

W3MIV
11-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Whewww. Survived another year. Six braceros still working in the dining room with brooms and shovels. The guy with the Bobcat is just loading to leave, and ServiceMaster is due here in the morning to put the finish on it. Could've been worse. Used to be, in fact. Light load of vandals and visigoths this year, and they are getting older and have fewer teeth.

The two Chinese students were an interesting addition to the usual grunting-mix of in-laws. Husband and wife, both here studying project management. Both supported by "private" Chinese firms, and not the government. He in construction, engineering degree, here doing post-grad-level courses for a year, then home again. Not sure of her field, but also project management and logistics of some sort. Interesting to hear their views on our crumbling infrastructure, filthy urban surroundings and unsafe streets. Yan (the guy) could not understand why so many people here are out of work while there is so much repair and renovation work that needs doing. Bridges, roads, railways, airports, port facilities -- just this guy's bailiwick -- coming apart at the seams, and the government sits with thumb planted in asses rather than get a public-works program underway. Needless to say, I had no answer for him; I wonder the same damned thing.

Apparently, China is steadily loosening the constraints on public opinion and access to opinion beyond the Chinese borders. Everybody understands the changes that have been made since Tienanmen Square, but few of us outside know how much progress has been made in just the past few years. Like Russia, they apparently still have a problem with rogue "capitalists" -- for example, the guys who cut milk with melamine to give a false protein reading -- and are having some trouble balancing their desire to foster more entrepreneurship and worry about killing start-ups by over zealous regulation. Interesting concept, in my view, that keeping milk safe may be considered "over zealous." I guess they have Republicans in China, too.

Oh, well, it's a wrap for another turkey day. Won't need the help of a single malt tonight. ;)

NQ6U
11-25-2010, 09:38 PM
T-day is a wrap here, too. Mostly successful except for the slightly overcooked dressing.

So...anyone up for some radio time? 40m digital is callin' to me.

kb2crk
11-26-2010, 10:12 AM
T-day is today here. the turkey is in the oven. a pumkin and mince meat pie are on the counter. the stuffing and other sides will be going up in a little bit.... i cant wait til it is time for the meal.