PDA

View Full Version : Quick - Get a Blanket: RC Turbine on Fire!

ka8ncr
11-13-2010, 11:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVMJBLy-UU

The humor is hidden in this video...

kc7jty
11-13-2010, 11:51 PM
What was that worth a couple $k? Why use the fire extinguisher when you have kool aid?
Maybe the fire extinguisher was used up previously?

Saw an rc glider modeled after the stealth fighter that was about 30" wing span stay in the air 20 mins in a 25 mph wind. It was probably doing 50 mph or better at the bottom of it's many dives. Amazing to watch.

N2NH
11-14-2010, 12:59 AM
The hobby that requires that you have more money than brains. JEEZ.

Kinda makes you wonder why wee willie ain't in it doanit?

n2ize
11-14-2010, 04:09 AM
The hobby that requires that you have more money than brains. JEEZ.

Kinda makes you wonder why wee willie ain't in it doanit?

Why would you say the rc hobby requires more money than brains? .Actually these days the hobby is not as expensive as many people imagine it to be. You can get started in it at the basic level for as low as < $100. $100 - $300 can by you a pretty decent and fully outfitted aircraft (of all different kinds) these days. Of course like anything else, the more you spend the bigger and more elaborate and sophisticated things can get. In recent years electric power has become a dominant force in the hobby. With the advent of newer high current density batteries, and motors that are small but extremely powerful. In many cases this has helped bring costs down significantly.

I've been involved in various aspects of the hobby on and off for decades. Much like any hobby the majority of people are normal and take pride in what they do and, over time acquire a wide ranging skill set And, like any hobby there are a few fanatics, lids, and people who take things too seriously. But they are generally the minority.

Now, as far as the video goes, why nobody used the extinguisher that was sitting on the bench is beyond me. They probably didn't notice it was there. The real question I have is why the guy didn't have his own extinguisher on hand ? Most of the guys pack an extinguisher along as part of their gear. While rare, every now and then an equipment failure of one type or another can cause fire. Most people are aware of that and come prepared.

W5IEI
11-14-2010, 07:34 AM
When I used to build them,I'd fold up a trash bag and tuck it in the fuselage.
When I got to the crash site,I'd have something at the scene to put the pieces in.

KJ3N
11-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Why would you say the rc hobby requires more money than brains? .Actually these days the hobby is not as expensive as many people imagine it to be. You can get started in it at the basic level for as low as < $100. $100 - $300 can by you a pretty decent and fully outfitted aircraft (of all different kinds) these days. Of course like anything else, the more you spend the bigger and more elaborate and sophisticated things can get. In recent years electric power has become a dominant force in the hobby. With the advent of newer high current density batteries, and motors that are small but extremely powerful. In many cases this has helped bring costs down significantly.

Case in point, I'm looking at this (http://www.rc-fever.com/walkera-dragonfly-v200d02-4ch-fp-cnc-metal-flybarless-rc-helicopter-rtf-24ghz-w-wk2403-tx-3-axis-gyro-stablizing-sys-p-11226.html) as my first foray into RC helicopters. At $140, I don't think that's even remotely expensive.

Here's a video review of it. The transmitter has a couple of switches where you can cut down the amount of servo travel and throttle so you don't overdo it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JolTNzWbiM4

W5GA
11-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Case in point, I'm looking at this (http://www.rc-fever.com/walkera-dragonfly-v200d02-4ch-fp-cnc-metal-flybarless-rc-helicopter-rtf-24ghz-w-wk2403-tx-3-axis-gyro-stablizing-sys-p-11226.html) as my first foray into RC helicopters. At $140, I don't think that's even remotely expensive.
Let's revisit this after you've gone through 6 or 7 of them.

n2ize
11-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Here's a video review of it. The transmitter has a couple of switches where you can cut down the amount of servo travel and throttle so you don't overdo it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JolTNzWbiM4

It looks nice. I'm not familiar with that particular model so i can;t say for sure how it is for beginners However, ... you might want to check out these forums if you haven't already.

http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-helis-217/

If you haven't already done so. In general single rotor heli's are more difficult to fly than coax types... However, single rotors are more maneuverable, can fly faster, do true banked turns, etc.

The thing is some models are easier for beginners and some are not. Two things you want to look for are, something that is relatively stable on which you can get used to the feel of the controls, orientation, etc. without the thing running away from you. The other thing is availability of replacement parts. Most major brands like Walkera, Esky, etc have replacement parts readily available from numerous vendors. This is important because you will crash now and then while learning and you will be spending at least some time ordering parts and making repairs. The easier it is to get parts the better...obviously.

One good thing is that it is a fixed pitch heli. That is good as in crashes there are less intricate parts to break and they are easier and cheaper to repair. Collective pitch helis are more intricate and crashes are much more expensive. However, if you do get good at it and decide you want to stick with the hobby you'll probably want to graduate to a full collective pitch heli some ways down the line.

In my cases I started learning on this coax heli..

http://site.xheli.com/LamaV3-24ghz_2.jpg

http://www.xheli.com/colav3corche.html

The thing I liked about this heli is that it was very stable for learning and flexible, I can fly it indoor in the bedroom or living room or outside over the yards if it's calm. It was great for learning basic orientation and stuff. Still runs too although its down for repairs at the moment.

When I got reasonably good with it I bought one of these.

http://site.rctoyz.com/Xheli/EskyHeli_HoneyBee4-V2-GreenF-1.jpg

http://www.xheli.com/4ches2grhobe.html

It's a single rotor fixed pitch Esky Honeybee (Version 2). It's not flybarless. Rather it uses a 90 degree flybar and some people claim it is hard to fly. But in my case within a week I was hovering it a couple feet of the ground in my living room (although I don't recommend it for indoor use) and when the weather got warmer was flying it around the yard. Haven't had any major crashes with it yet. Most hard landings suffer no damage. Only part I ever broke on it after flying it almost a year of flying was a 50 cent dog-bone link. easy to repair and lots of replacement and upgrade parts are available for it.

W5IEI
11-14-2010, 06:34 PM
That's the problem with the small electrics,they can't handle wind.
That's why in these MOST impressive videos,they're always indoors.

n2ize
11-14-2010, 06:51 PM
That's the problem with the small electrics,they can't handle wind.
That's why in these MOST impressive videos,they're always indoors.

To handle real wind with an rc heli you need at least a 450 size electric collective pitch heli, like a Trex 450 or larger. Or at least a .40 or larger gas heli.

Although they are best in calm or low wind conditions the nice thing about the smaller electrics (250-350 size) is that they can be flown in more places, like backyards, parks, unused playgrounds etc. Under those circumstances they are quiet, don't attract much attention and, they are not nearly as dangerous as the bigger stuff. They are also a relatively inexpensive starting point for beginners coming into the hobby. Of course once you get the experience it's nice to graduate to the bigger stuff... Like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYk2h79T7Vg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGzL50OXh6A&feature=fvw

N2NH
11-14-2010, 10:06 PM
If this hobby only cost them a nickle, it's still a case of more money than brains.

KA5PIU
11-14-2010, 11:22 PM
If this hobby only cost them a nickle, it's still a case of more money than brains.

Hello.

The same can be said of nearly all hobbies by people who are not involved.
Look at Amateur Radio, think most people will agree in the level of expense that this hobby can cost?
But this is a hobby some enjoy and there is nothing wrong with that.

n2ize
11-14-2010, 11:24 PM

I don't understand your point. if you are arguing that people who go into rc are stupid then the same can be said for any hobby, including ham radio, car racing, motorcycles, stamp collecting, guns, etc..I know plenty of people who think hams are idiots and consider talking on an expensive radio a first class waste of time. If you think rc is a waste of time then so be it. Nobody is forcing you to join the sport. But by making such an ignorant statement you are only putting down people on this board and elsewhere who engage in this hobby and find it very interesting and find it a rewarding experience.

KG4CGC
11-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Is the humor in the video where they look like they are using the sleeping bag to keep it warm? Almost even looks like they are trying to feed it the sleeping bag.

n2ize
11-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Is the humor in the video where they look like they are using the sleeping bag to keep it warm? Almost even looks like they are trying to feed it the sleeping bag.

Or maybe the fire extinguisher sitting in the foreground.

NQ6U
11-15-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't understand your point. if you are arguing that people who go into rc are stupid then the same can be said for any hobby, including ham radio, car racing, motorcycles, stamp collecting, guns, etc..I know plenty of people who think hams are idiots and consider talking on an expensive radio a first class waste of time. If you think rc is a waste of time then so be it. Nobody is forcing you to join the sport. But by making such an ignorant statement you are only putting down people on this board and elsewhere who engage in this hobby and find it very interesting and find it a rewarding experience.

I think what he was trying to say was that when in comes to the people in the video, a nickel would amount to a case more money than brains. Of course, since we don't know the whole story (maybe the fire extinguisher was empty), it's unfair to make that sort of judgment.

KG4CGC
11-15-2010, 01:50 AM
Or maybe the fire extinguisher sitting in the foreground.
Ah, subtle. Maybe they didn't want to deal with cleaning the mess it leaves behind. I was told once not to use extinguishers on molds or ovens.

n2ize
11-15-2010, 02:04 AM
I think what he was trying to say was that when in comes to the people in the video, a nickel would amount to a case more money than brains.

maybe so., but his comment seemed more general.

Of course, since we don't know the whole story (maybe the fire extinguisher was empty), it's unfair to make that sort of judgment.

Good chance that everyone there was looking at the fire and nobody noticed the extinguisher sitting right there. It was not prominently displayed. I've seen it happen. A fire started everyone starts running will nilly trying to put it out in all sorts of makeshift ways that aren't working.. I pick up the extinguisher located only a couple feet away and give it one blast and its out.

w2amr
11-15-2010, 06:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVMJBLy-UU

The humor is hidden in this video...Geez. How many RC enthusiast does it take to screw in a light bulb?

n2ize
11-15-2010, 11:38 AM
The way the smarter people do it is to have the extinguishing system (Usually a CO2 system) installed in the plane itself.such that it can be either manually triggered or automatically triggered by heat, smoke, etc. True it adds weight so all you do is compensate with a larger / stronger power system.

N2NH
11-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I think what he was trying to say was that when in comes to the people in the video, a nickel would amount to a case more money than brains. Of course, since we don't know the whole story (maybe the fire extinguisher was empty), it's unfair to make that sort of judgment.

it's exactly what I meant. AFAIC, if there's a fire extinguisher, it should be used. And if one's not enough, then that's piss poor planning. That only assures piss poor performance. Result = Same.

n2ize
11-15-2010, 02:34 PM
it's exactly what I meant. AFAIC, if there's a fire extinguisher, it should be used. And if one's not enough, then that's piss poor planning. That only assures piss poor performance. Result = Same.

Most of the guys do bring extinguishers with them. And most clubs keep several oils (fire extinguishers) on hand. Usually the chalk, halon, or CO2 kind. Why there was only one oil at this club and why nobody used it is beyond me. If the operator had his own extinguisher on hand he probably could have put it out quickly and, could have saved his own aircraft.

In this case I agree. It was very poor planning. The very nature of the equipment used makes the possibility of fire an issue. On at least 2 occasions when I was into gas planes I had engine fires. Each time I had an oil on hand to put it out quickly.

Even the newer electric stuff can, and occasionally does, catch fire. The batteries used are high capacity lithium polymers. When the motors are running on full there is a huge amount of current draw. At those currents any poor connection can easily overheat and start burning. And if those batteries short or get punctured in a crash they can rapidly overheat, smoke, and burst into flames. All circuits must be carefully maintained and properly fused.

The majority of people I've seen involved in this hobby do plan ahead and take precautions to prevent and / or quickly mitigate such problems if they should arise. For the majority of RC'ers safety and safe operation is the primary concern. That includes their own safety and the safety of the public. Most RC'ers frown upon operators who are careless, who don;t plan ahead who operate haphazardly and, who do not operate with regards to safety.

kf0rt
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
Most of the guys do bring extinguishers with them. And most clubs keep several oils (fire extinguishers) on hand. Usually the chalk, halon, or CO2 kind. Why there was only one oil at this club and why nobody used it is beyond me. If the operator had his own extinguisher on hand he probably could have put it out quickly and, could have saved his own aircraft.

In this case I agree. It was very poor planning. The very nature of the equipment used makes the possibility of fire an issue. On at least 2 occasions when I was into gas planes I had engine fires. Each time I had an oil on hand to put it out quickly.

Even the newer electric stuff can, and occasionally does, catch fire. The batteries used are high capacity lithium polymers. When the motors are running on full there is a huge amount of current draw. At those currents any poor connection can easily overheat and start burning. And if those batteries short or get punctured in a crash they can rapidly overheat, smoke, and burst into flames. All circuits must be carefully maintained and properly fused.

The majority of people I've seen involved in this hobby do plan ahead and take precautions to prevent and / or quickly mitigate such problems if they should arise. For the majority of RC'ers safety and safe operation is the primary concern. That includes their own safety and the safety of the public. Most RC'ers frown upon operators who are careless, who don;t plan ahead who operate haphazardly and, who do not operate with regards to safety.

Same deal with most 'hazardous' hobbies (including ham radio). I've seen this with firearms, too, and bet it plays well with the motorcycle and car groups as well. Just about everybody is safety conscious, but there's always a few....

I once taught a guy how to handload pistol ammo. I was pretty meticulous in my training too, but he didn't seem to be paying close attention. His attitude was that this process was too simple for mistakes. When done manually with a simple press, you HAVE to pay attention to a few quality checks. Dump measured powder into 50 rounds and then visually check that each and every cartridge has the same amount of powder BEFORE you cap it with the bullet. First time he did this on his own and we went to the range, things went well until he hit that one round that had no powder. The primer was strong enough to lodge the bullet mid-barrel and if he'd fired again, things might have gotten ugly.

This is what I call living on the edge of natural selection.