PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the stroking going on on the bands?

W1GUH
11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
When and why did hams start saying "stroke", as in "portable" or "mobile?" I operated a special op station last year when it became 100 years old and the ID was [station call] "stroke" 100. And a couple of weeks ago in the mobile someone called W1GUH stroke mobile. Felt like telling him to keep his strokes to himself.

WTF? How come all the stroking? If I want a "stroke", I will definately NOT be on the radio!!!! Maybe the internet, but then, the internet uses the proper term, "slash", forward or backward.

W5RB
11-10-2010, 09:46 AM
When and why did hams start saying "stroke", as in "portable" or "mobile?" I operated a special op station last year when it became 100 years old and the ID was [station call] "stroke" 100. And a couple of weeks ago in the mobile someone called W1GUH stroke mobile. Felt like telling him to keep his strokes to himself.

WTF? How come all the stroking? If I want a "stroke", I will definately NOT be on the radio!!!! Maybe the internet, but then, the internet uses the proper term, "slash", forward or backward.

Dunno. If you use the one that slants the other way , is that a "backstroke" ?

K7SGJ
11-10-2010, 09:49 AM
It's an old military designator. ie pistol stoke 45 stoke semiautomatic Dunno why they never used slash, other than that was something else.

w3bny
11-10-2010, 09:50 AM
It's an old military designator. ie pistol stoke 45 stoke semiautomatic

Even older...

<drum>STROKE<drum>STROKE<drum>STROKE

W5RB
11-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Even older...

No comments from the galley.

:-P

N2CHX
11-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Hams have a long history of coming up with terms and euphemisms that sound really retarded to the rest of the population.

N8YX
11-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Even older...

...it's a conscious failure, just doin' da stroke...

W3MIV
11-10-2010, 10:41 AM
It iis a fetish that originated in Brit-envy. Much as it has become fashionable to use "zed" in lieu of "zulu," the proper phonetic for a US ham. "Stroke" is bullshit for "slash," which probably sounds far too US pedestrian for social-climbers seeking to sound urbane and sophisticated. In the US military parlance, it became fashionable to use "carry on" (Brit-speak) instead of "as you were" (US standard) after an officer entered a venue and sought to return the room or group to duty.

In other words, it is mere bullshit and so should be avoided.

KC2UGV
11-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I wonder if people would appreciate my IT lingo of "whack" the designate "/"...

W5RB
11-10-2010, 10:52 AM
It might get ya banned on some boards....

KA5PIU
11-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Hams have a long history of coming up with terms and euphemisms that sound really retarded to the rest of the population.

+1000

ki4itv
11-10-2010, 11:13 AM
I bet Clarence Carter knows...

I'm strokin', that's what I'm doin', I be strokin'
I stroke it to the east
And I stroke it to the west
And I stroke it to the woman that I love the best
I be strokin'

Over. :lol:

KG4CGC
11-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Who really gives a shisto? People just trying to sound clear on the air.

W1GUH
11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I wonder if people would appreciate my IT lingo of "whack" the designate "/"...

Well, "whack" DOES resonate with "stroke."

KG4CGC
11-10-2010, 11:24 AM
http://www.autocompletefail.com/google/671/

N2NH
11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
It might get ya banned on some boards....

It's a knobby situation.

W7XF
11-10-2010, 04:46 PM
+1000

Methinks Cowthief's account has been hacked!!!!!!! Something's missing in that message!!!!!!!!

N2CHX
11-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Methinks Cowthief's account has been hacked!!!!!!! Something's missing in that message!!!!!!!!

Hello.

Hacked account is hacked.

n2ize
11-10-2010, 04:54 PM

I remember that stupid thing they did in which you upgrade your license you pass the tests and you would identify with something like "N2IZE/AG" or "N2IZE temporary AG" which would mean "
N2IZE - awaiting general" so you could operate with the new priviledges even though you haven;t yet received the new copy of your license. I always thought that sounded dumb.

n2ize
11-10-2010, 05:04 PM
It iis a fetish that originated in Brit-envy. Much as it has become fashionable to use "zed" in lieu of "zulu," the proper phonetic for a US ham. "Stroke" is bullshit for "slash," which probably sounds far too US pedestrian for social-climbers seeking to sound urbane and sophisticated. In the US military parlance, it became fashionable to use "carry on" (Brit-speak) instead of "as you were" (US standard) after an officer entered a venue and sought to return the room or group to duty.

In other words, it is mere bullshit and so should be avoided.

When I am on the ray-dee-oh I try and avoid all these new ham euphemisms and feelgood jargon. I stick to plain and proper English for the simple reason that it sounds normal.

kb2vxa
11-10-2010, 05:11 PM
"...N2IZE - awaiting general" so you could operate with the new privileges even though you haven't yet received the new copy of your license. I always thought that sounded dumb."
Maybe to you but it should avoid attacks by anal, class conscious individuals too dumb to check the FCC database.

n2ize
11-10-2010, 05:45 PM
"...N2IZE - awaiting general" so you could operate with the new privileges even though you haven't yet received the new copy of your license. I always thought that sounded dumb."
Maybe to you but it should avoid attacks by anal, class conscious individuals too dumb to check the FCC database.

Like when i got a OO notice warning me that I had a carrier on my signal. Yeah... I sure did, I was operating AM...quite deliberately and as permitted for my class of license.

W2NAP
11-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Like when i got a OO notice warning me that I had a carrier on my signal. Yeah... I sure did, I was operating AM...quite deliberately and as permitted for my class of license.

lol

KA5PIU
11-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Hello.

I was running DSRC when an OO decided to give me a warning.
VSRC really drives them nuts. ;)
As a Novice I was not allowed AM but could run SSB and I saw this as a chance to be creative.
How far down does the carrier need to be?
How far down does one sideband need to be?
If I drop drop one sideband down 3 dB and the carrier 6 it is a SSB signal, but has all the elements of AM.
SSB-SC is very easy to implement at high level.
A good CW carrier, easy to produce, an audio amplifier, and the modulator are the primary parts and this can all be done in class C.
Take an amplifier intended for CB service and add the required filtering and it takes little more to add an AM modulator.
350 watt amplifier derated to 200 and add a car audio amp and the filtering and you have it, for under $200.
Full legal limit 10 meters for a novice that works like AM but meets the legal requirements for SSB at 28.385 MHz.
2 antennas on a semi-truck and you have it.
There are tons of old HF AM marine rigs floating around for the old 2 MHz band that work perfect on 160.
Prior to GPS LORAN was used to get a fix on big trucks and sent back on 44.34 MHz as part of a tracking system nationwide.
The trancevers were all commercial grade and of the correct split for 6 meters.
Cut both antennas down and you have 160 and 6 meters.
I must have a dozen of the old trastrac units that were pulled and simply thrown away.
At first I would simply bypass the RF amplifier and run them at 49.830 MHz under part 15 but have upgraded and now have added 52.525 MHz and a PIN diode selector for the RF section.
The omnitraxs worked at 27.255 MHz with 25 watts of power under the R/C rules and they are also common surplus.
Most hams will look at you strange if you tell them that this is what you want to do and none of this is very hard at all.

suddenseer
11-10-2010, 07:52 PM
There is a 2m fm repeater here in Dayton where most of the users would recite their call sign followed by "fridee"

w6tmi
11-10-2010, 10:19 PM
I remember that stupid thing they did in which you upgrade your license you pass the tests and you would identify with something like "N2IZE/AG" or "N2IZE temporary AG" which would mean "
N2IZE - awaiting general" so you could operate with the new priviledges even though you haven;t yet received the new copy of your license. I always thought that sounded dumb.

/agree

KA5PIU
11-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Hello.

Break 19, I want a taco.

w6tmi
11-12-2010, 12:41 AM
Hello.

Break 19, I want a taco.

l2cook.
:lol:

WØTKX