PDA

View Full Version : Olbermann speaks out on suspension

w2amr
11-10-2010, 04:15 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/vp/40099422#40099422

kc7jty
11-10-2010, 04:30 AM
That guy's just another talking head aimed at pleasing certain elements in the mainstream.

What this chicken shit country needs is a completely no holds barred, with no consideration given to political correctness, highly intelligent, satirical commentator who has absolutely no qualms with the truth. The way Howard Stern could sometimes be when he wasn't being stupid.
Never fly though, 85% would be either offended or too dense to grasp any of it.

W4GPL
11-10-2010, 04:32 AM
Bill, I don't say this in a confrontational way, but is there anything you're not angry about? I mean, from roasted chickens to Ann Curry and beyond. Tell us, what do you like?

w2amr
11-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Bill, I don't say this in a confrontational way, but is there anything you're not angry about? I mean, from roasted chickens to Ann Curry and beyond. Tell us, what do you like?he likes this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDowTz8-Vno

kc7jty
11-10-2010, 04:50 AM
Jeff I believe it is, we're not all the same, and yes there are many things I like. Good food and wine come to mind.

Most seem perfectly content consuming the sweet nothings prescribed for them, which are found everywhere. The internet for me can be a place away from the perfect little plastic box of shut up and eat your pablum.
What is your preference?

kc7jty
11-10-2010, 04:52 AM
he likes this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDowTz8-Vno

Be careful George, it may be discovered you like it too.

W4GPL
11-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Hell, I'm the guy who is usually pissed off that people aren't pissed off enough. My impression based on your postings is that just about everything makes you angry, but that's only a perception. I'm happy to hear you do actually find some happiness in some things. I can't know someone beyond what I see on this text based Internet-thingie.

I think we can both agree that 'AMR's avatar is hilarious, eh? :)

kc7jty
11-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Hell, I'm the guy who is usually pissed off that people aren't pissed off enough. My impression based on your postings is that just about everything makes you angry, but that's only a perception. I'm happy to hear you do actually find some happiness in some things. I can't know someone beyond what I see on this text based Internet-thingie.

If your leading sentence was accurate we'd be brethren.
Were you a fan of Peter Jennings? He also manifested the current, correct, manipulative use of words like anger and hate.

I think we can both agree that 'AMR's avatar is hilarious, eh? :)
Hooray! I was in fear liking it might make me a racist.

Oh...I also like Emily Dickinson:

I died for beauty, but was scarce
Adjusted in the tomb,
When one who died for truth was lain
In an adjoining room.

He questioned softly why I failed?
"For beauty," I replied.
"And I for truth,--the two are one;
We brethren are," he said.

And so, as kinsmen met a night,
We talked between the rooms.
Until the moss had reached our lips,
And covered up our names.

As well as Wolfgang Amadeus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df-eLzao63I

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."

Volraire is pretty cool too.

W4GPL
11-10-2010, 05:18 AM
:roll: I guess if I can make (likely accurate) judgments about you, you're allowed to do the same about me.

kc7jty
11-10-2010, 05:25 AM
:roll: I guess if I can make (likely accurate) judgments about you, you're allowed to do the same about me.

I enjoy your likely. I on the other hand won't use that descriptor.
I enjoy immensely, sparring mentally with worthy opponents. It usually gets me into trouble though.

Not only you but everyone, yes it is a most enjoying study.

w2amr
11-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Be careful George, it may be discovered you like it too.No, I love it.

kc7jty
11-10-2010, 05:34 AM
No, I love it.

Easy for you to say. You're not the racist firebrand.

w2amr
11-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Easy for you to say. You're not the racist firebrand.It does make life a bit easier.:lol:

WX7P
11-10-2010, 07:00 AM
That guy's just another talking head aimed at pleasing certain elements in the mainstream.

What this chicken shit country needs is a completely no holds barred, with no consideration given to political correctness, highly intelligent, satirical commentator who has absolutely no qualms with the truth. The way Howard Stern could sometimes be when he wasn't being stupid.
Never fly though, 85% would be either offended or too dense to grasp any of it.

Howard Stern?

You can't be serious! The guy is a 150 million dollar doofus, crude and completely full of shit.

N8YX
11-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Howard Stern?

You can't be serious! The guy is a 150 million dollar doofus, crude and completely full of shit.
Correctamundo.

Was funny for the first week or so. After that...not so much.

W3WN
11-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Howard Stern? Funny? Nah.

Getting back to Oberdoperman: He knew the rules. He broke them. He paid the price. End of story.

WX7P
11-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Getting back to Oberdoperman: He knew the rules. He broke them. He paid the price. End of story.

What?

Olbermann, correct spelling for the learning impaired, did the same thing his co-workers did. BFD.

Do you have to clear a contribution to a political candidate to your employer?

You'd be screaming like a stuck pig if you did.

W3WN
11-10-2010, 02:48 PM
What?

Olbermann, correct spelling for the learning impaired, did the same thing his co-workers did. BFD.

Do you have to clear a contribution to a political candidate to your employer?

You'd be screaming like a stuck pig if you did.
Nope. Sorry. No sale.

I'm no longer in broadcasting. I don't put my face and my political opinions in front of millions upon millions (he hopes) every night. More importantly, I never signed a contract that includes a stipulation that I am not permitted to make contributions to political candidates -- ANY political candidates -- to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Operdoperman signed said contract and agreed as a condition of hire and/or continued employment to abide by those conditions.

He didn't. Therefore, he broke his contract and his word.

Now, that all being said... if you want to argue that those conditions should not be imposed on him, especially because he is hired to voice his opinion and not be an allegedly impartial journalist, fine. If this was a debate, I could probably argue either side, both for and against the schmuck. Nevertheless, he agreed to the conditions.

Nor did he request an exemption from management, that we know of. They might have granted it. Then again, maybe he did make the request and it was turned down.

This has nothing to do with the opinions of the schmuck. (And he is a schmuck, but that's another story). It has everything to do with him breaking his word and his contract.

kf0rt
11-10-2010, 02:53 PM

I'm still trying to figure out the price he paid... What was it...? A three-day weekend and more advertising than money can buy?

I wish I could get some punishment like that.

W4GPL
11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the price he paid... What was it...? A three-day weekend and more advertising than money can buy?

I wish I could get some punishment like that.I enjoyed his opening statement.. something like (paraphrasing here) "Some people claim this was a publicity stunt, it wasn't. And if it was, don't you think I would have done it years ago?" :) I'm glad to have him back and I think the whole thing was just silly. He violated the terms of his contract and they have every right to punish him as they see fit, but I think a mea culpa and a donation to the United Way (or the like) would have been more than fine. :dunno: Whatever, it's over. I'm sure both MSNBC and Keith Olbermann would do things differently if they had the ability to turn back the clock.

kf0rt
11-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I enjoyed his opening statement.. something like (paraphrasing here) "Some people claim this was a publicity stunt, it wasn't. And if it was, don't you think I would have done it years ago?" :) I'm glad to have him back and I think the whole thing was just silly. He violated the terms of his contract and they have every right to punish him as they see fit, but I think a mea culpa and a donation to the United Way (or the like) would have been more than fine. :dunno: Whatever, it's over. I'm sure both MSNBC and Keith Olbermann would do things differently if they had the ability to turn back the clock.

You gotta love the "show" no matter how it plays out these days. It's pretty obvious that no matter how it's sliced or diced, the dollar comes up King. :lol:

W3WN
11-10-2010, 03:13 PM

I wish I could get some punishment like that.
An indefinite unpaid suspension.

It must have been agony for the schmuck to keep his mouth shut for three days until the suspension was lifted.

N2NH
11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I really enjoy Olbermann. The show is sometimes funny and no, I don't always agree with him. Much of the time, yes. When he's on the soapbox, it is usually a bit much. Don't like it when O'Reilly, Beck and Hannity does it either.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if he was suspended on the 5th and came back on the 9th, wouldn't that be a 4 day suspension?

Two if you're counting work days.

He claims that his contract had no such provision. If so, someone's head is going to be on the chopping block. And isn't that kind of provision against the first amendment? Seems like the kind of thing (like 'circumstantial evidence') that is eventually going to be overturned in someone's courtroom.

kc7jty
11-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Howard Stern?

It's true he is an ass most of the time (after all even he must appeal to the masses)

The truth can be seen as crude by many, his searing use of truth, especially taboo truth is what makes him unique. Stern is the only person I've seen David Letterman fear not to provoke.
All the PC, urban legend, and other assorted bravo sierra melts to nothing the instant he decides to attack it.

KC2UGV
11-11-2010, 09:06 AM
An indefinite unpaid suspension.

It must have been agony for the schmuck to keep his mouth shut for three days until the suspension was lifted.

I'm sure it was. But, Olbermann is a smart cookie. He knew it would play out in one of a few ways:

* Short term suspension, just to "ring some bells"
* Contract re-negotiation to make MSNBC more lucrative for the upcoming sale
* Termination

Either way, it's not too big a deal.

KG4CGC
11-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm sure it was. But, Olbermann is a smart cookie. He knew it would play out in one of a few ways:

* Short term suspension, just to "ring some bells"
* Contract re-negotiation to make MSNBC more lucrative for the upcoming sale
* Termination

Either way, it's not too big a deal.
Oh, will Murdoch be looking to purchase MSNBC?

KC2UGV
11-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Oh, will Murdoch be looking to purchase MSNBC?

No, Comcast.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-07-22/comcast-s-nbc-purchase-may-mean-selling-stations-or-arbitration.html

KG4CGC
11-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Who owns Comcast?

KC2UGV
11-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Who owns Comcast?

Comcast. It's not a subsidiary of anyone, AFAIK.

kf0rt
11-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Evil Public Corp, traded on NASDAQ.

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/quickchart/quickchart.asp?symb=CMCSA