PDA

View Full Version : Daylight savings time?

kc7jty
11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
All this clock crap is nothing but a Royal PITA.
It's ALWAYS daylight when I get up, and Always night when I go to bed. These gifted assoles are going to have to shift the time more than 3 hours to offset that fact for me.

ki4itv
11-07-2010, 09:48 PM
well, it buys me an hour because I always get up with the sun.
Last few weeks have been close.

n2ize
11-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I like eastern Standard time. I wish we could stay on this time sked all year round.

KG4CGC
11-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Like like Daylight Savings. I think we should stay on the DST sked all year round.

KA5PIU
11-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Hello.

why not Zulu time and we simply adjust events around that?

N5RLR
11-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Why not just leave well enough alone? Back in the day when the US had a more agrarian economy, DST made sense.

There is no savings in/of electricity; businesses run 24-7 nowadays. And don't get me started on car dealerships that run their lot lighting all night long; an energy hog if ever I saw one. :rant:

NQ6U
11-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Feh. The heck with this base-12 time system. I say, let's go decimal!

kc7jty
11-07-2010, 11:32 PM
I like eastern Standard time. I wish we could stay on this time sked all year round.

It has been decreed the clocks shall twitch twice per annum, the penny will always remain in use, and marijuana will NEVER be permitted by those in position to do so.

WØTKX
11-08-2010, 03:06 AM
Errr, did you miss yer fruit cup again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RblbZQth0KE

W4GPL
11-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Why not just leave well enough alone? Back in the day when the US had a more agrarian economy, DST made sense.

There is no savings in/of electricity; businesses run 24-7 nowadays. And don't get me started on car dealerships that run their lot lighting all night long; an energy hog if ever I saw one. :rant:Now-a-days, it costs money. The technological concerns are massive. If you ever want a good laugh, pull up the changelog for tzdata in Linux.

You see stuff like.. "Jackfuckistan suspends DST for 2 weeks to observe King Allahbahbahusami's birthday August 1st thru 5th." :wall:

Daylight savings time, standard time.. I don't care. Pick one. Stick to it.

VK3ZL
11-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Down under DST is a bloody pain in the proverbial...In the summer it messes up my dxing...Can't burn the candles at both ends I'm afraid...Worse still, with that extra hour of sunlight the curtains are fading faster...Only the dairy farmers are happy as that extra hour of daylight allows the cows to gain another pint of milk..Bloody politicians should leave us alone, worse still VK4 doesn't have DST...I know that they are backward up there, but that is the only cunning move they have ever made...I think it's because that extra hour of sunlight would fry their small brains completely....

Now, bugger off and leave me alone....:rant::rant::rant:

Bob..VK3ZL..

Bob..VK3ZL..

N2NH
11-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Sorry, but changing the clock twice every year means little except to confuse the circadian rhythms and drive cats and dogs crazy when they don't get fed at the usual time. It's pretty much like the guy that walks into a Pizza Parlour and orders his pie to be cut 6 ways instead of 8 because he's not that hungry today.

DST works fine by me and would be great the whole year.

W4GPL
11-08-2010, 04:30 AM
:lol: Funny you say that. The dog was pestering me at 8pm to feed her. Always usually feed her around 9pm (just before I eat).. I didn't comply, she has to get on the same schedule as the rest of us. It will only take a day or two for her to figure it out. Amazing creatures of habit, eh?

n2ize
11-08-2010, 05:19 AM
But you folks don't understand. Daylight savings Time saves lamp oil. After I come in from my chores I have an extra hour of daylight before I go to bed at 6:00pm. Now that it gets dark at 4:00 pm I have to fill and light the lamps and burn them at full brightness for two hours before turning down the wicks and going to sleep. This means I burn up more lamp oil which means I have to hitch up the team to the wagon and ride into town to buy lamp oil and wicks at the general store. At that point my team is too tired to do the chores and I have to water them and feed them more oats.With DST I save lamp oil, save my team, and save money.

You guys must either be rich and are able to afford lots of lamp oil or else y'all must be using them new fangled electric lights.

n2ize
11-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Now-a-days, it costs money. The technological concerns are massive. If you ever want a good laugh, pull up the changelog for tzdata in Linux.

You see stuff like.. "Jackfuckistan suspends DST for 2 weeks to observe King Allahbahbahusami's birthday August 1st thru 5th." :wall:

Daylight savings time, standard time.. I don't care. Pick one. Stick to it.

I think standard time is adequate. In the summer months the days are long enough. What difference is it that we change the hours so that summer days seem longer. matter of fact summer days are too darned long as it is. takes forever to get dark and no sooner does the sun set its back up again.

The problem with DST year round here is that in the winter, when people normally get up to go to work, and kids to school, it is pitch black outside. I remember when Nixon set up DST all year round I was getting up to go to school and waiting for the bus or walking to school in the dead of night. This wasn't so bad for me as a high school kid but a lot of parents were apprehensive about sending their young children out into the streets in the dark, going to school in the dark and coming home as the sun was setting. Not to mention going to work and coming home in the dark.

I think regular standard time year round makes more sense. Days are long enough in summer. Why do we really need to make them appear longer when they are already very long ? And in the winter at least you get that extra hour of light in the morning when you're driving to work, walking , or sending the kids out to school.

n2ize
11-08-2010, 06:18 AM
DST is also discriminatory to those of us who use sundials or measure time by the position of the sun. How do you move the sun one hour back into the sky.

KC2UGV
11-08-2010, 10:40 AM
Screw this time system of DST and EDT... We should just use UNIX Epoch time... Right now it's 1289230813...

W1GUH
11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
We got some unexpected snow in CT this morning. Yep, there it was falling right outside the train window. Probably caused by the "new" DST/EST switchover Saturday night. Put a small rip in the space-time continuum & Mother Nature just HAD to get back at us.

NQ6U
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
"Jackfuckistan suspends DST for 2 weeks to observe King Allahbahbahusami's birthday August 1st thru 5th."

I hear Jackfuckistan is nice this time of year.

W3MIV
11-08-2010, 11:36 AM
How do you move the sun one hour back into the sky.

Ask me nicely.

ki4itv
11-08-2010, 11:48 AM
DST is also discriminatory to those of us who use sundials or measure time by the position of the sun. How do you move the sun one hour back into the sky.

Give the base of the sundial a little twist.
to the left-spring forward
to the right- fall back

Hope that helps. ;)

WØTKX
11-08-2010, 12:18 PM
The Shadow Knows. :snicker: