PDA

View Full Version : I Give Up

W3WN
11-07-2010, 04:00 PM
So, the boss has been bugging me for months to "do something" with the VCR, since it's been acting up... and frankly has been cranky for awhile.

Finally gave in to the nagging. Shopped around, saw that Best Buy & WallyWorldMart only have VCR/DVD combo units. Found a decent one, went online, found it for less on Amazon -- and then used a $50 gift card that was an '09 Christmas gift, so that I didn't pay more than a couple of bucks, plus tax and shipping.

Unit arrives Friday. Boss asks what's in the box. I show her. I get a strange look.

Hook it up Saturday morning. Works like a champ, better than the old one. Still get the strange look, so obviously I've done something wrong.

"I can't believe you bought a new VCR!"
"I don't understand; you've been asking me for months to do just that!"
"Yes, but we need to remodel the kitchen!"

I do as I'm asked. I spend less than $40. And I'm in trouble because I didn't put that towards a $12,000 kitchen remodel.

I give up.

PA5COR
11-07-2010, 04:12 PM
1st mistake.
Try to find logic in your wife's demands. ( i gave up decades ago)
2nd mistake, no kitchen is worth 12 K, a new Yaesu FT 5000 is.
( I settled for a MFJ 998 1.5 Kw auto tuner...)
Compromise, compromise...;)

W3WN
11-07-2010, 05:48 PM
That's probably my mistake. I keep applying logic.

But a Yaesu? No, thanks, but no. Never been a Yaesu fan.

Besides, for that money, I could buy a fully equipped Orion II -- plus an Omni VII & an Eagle, AND have $$ left over.

suddenseer
11-07-2010, 05:55 PM
A question for married men (they ALL understand this)
If a tree falls in the forest, and your wife is not there to hear it fall, are you still wrong?

You married guys always supply the same answer.

WX7P
11-07-2010, 06:06 PM
MY wife just spent $500 on "crash covers" at the local stamp show this weekend.

A crash cover is postal mail that survives a plane crash. It's usually burnt. The holy grail is mail from the Hindenburg.

How weird is that?

WX7P
11-07-2010, 06:09 PM
If a tree falls in the forest, and your wife is not there to hear it fall, are you still wrong?

Depends on the wife, Tim.

The first two, yes, I would have been wrong.

Not with the current, and final wife.

VE7DCW
11-07-2010, 07:45 PM

It's the first question on the first exam you take in the course "being married 101"..... and every married man gets it right first time ..... :squint:

kf0rt
11-07-2010, 08:03 PM

A crash cover is postal mail that survives a plane crash. It's usually burnt. The holy grail is mail from the Hindenburg.

How weird is that?

Shit. You've finally rendered me speechless, Dave.

I'm unqualified to render either condolences OR congrats. Let us know how it turns out, willya?

kd8dey
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Just get a firm grip
stand up and show her who's in charge
look her straight in the feet and say
"Yes Dear"

K7SGJ
11-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Move the new VCR/DVD to the kitchen.

kc7jty
11-07-2010, 08:15 PM
How weird is that?

depends on how close to exponential the future profit is.

suddenseer
11-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Depends on the wife, Tim.

The first two, yes, I would have been wrong.

Not with the current, and final wife.Dave, you are the first husband to have a different answer. You stand in smaller company sir. My poll is unscientific.

KG4CGC
11-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Move the new VCR/DVD to the kitchen.
Problem solved!
NEXT!

K7SGJ
11-07-2010, 09:43 PM
And after you move it to the kitchen, tell her you needed to do it first so you can document the upcoming remodel on video for future reference, or the DIY channel, or..................... you get the idea.

KA5PIU
11-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Hello.

Rule number 1, mancave, there is NO kitchen.
Rule number 2, remodel means buying a new refrigerator and perhaps a toaster oven and microwave.
Rule number 3, do not get married.

W4RLR
11-07-2010, 11:07 PM
My first wife was married to me for just over two years. It's been twenty eight years since the divorce, my former in-laws are distant but civil, but the first wife still wouldn't piss on me if I were on fire.

Second wife and I will be married twenty-two years this week. She's a keeper, I brought up her two kids from a previous marriage and we had two of our own, all now grown and the youngest two in college.

As was said before, it depends on the woman. But my grandfather, a very wise man told me "Son, always treat your wife like a thoroughbred. That way she will never grow to be an old nag!"

KB3LAZ
11-08-2010, 02:47 AM
You have a VCR? o0

VK3ZL
11-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Women's fault's are many..
Men have only two..

Everything they say,
and everything they do..

Gotta luv em though....:heart::heart::heart:

Bob..VK3ZL..

n2ize
11-08-2010, 06:25 AM

How weird is that?

Its a historical event. Guess people see sentimental value in it. People will collect almost anything. People will hike miles and miles into rugged and barely accessible wilderness just to visit the remnants of a crash that may have happened 50+ years ago.

kb2crk
11-08-2010, 07:42 AM

with the first wife i would have been wrong if i was standing in the rain and said it was raining.
with the present wife i have no such issue. i gots myself a good one this time.

N2CHX
11-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Well this thread is lulzy :)

W5RB
11-08-2010, 08:38 AM

How weird is that?

Hmmm. My philately has been in remission for over 35 years , but this is intriguing . Sounds like something Hearst would have done .

N8YX
11-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Hmmm...around our place it seems I'm the one doing the bugging about remodeling our bathroom. 'DSG, on the other hand, wants a new gun safe...and more guns to put in it.

W5RB
11-08-2010, 08:49 AM
That's probably my mistake. I keep applying logic.

But a Yaesu? No, thanks, but no. Never been a Yaesu fan.

Besides, for that money, I could buy a fully equipped Orion II -- plus an Omni VII & an Eagle, AND have $$ left over.

Back on topic , remind her that it was likely your last opportunity to buy a new one , as that market is all but gone . Then go here : http://www.jennair.com/flash.cmd?/#/page/home
and get the info to start a conversation about the kitchen .

W3WN
11-08-2010, 11:57 AM

How weird is that?
Very.

W3WN
11-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Back on topic , remind her that it was likely your last opportunity to buy a new one , as that market is all but gone . Then go here : http://www.jennair.com/flash.cmd?/#/page/home
and get the info to start a conversation about the kitchen .
That was a motivating factor. The last time I looked, you could still get a "traditional" VCR for about $50, and that should have been a warning sign. I considered buying the more expensive unit -- a combo VCR & DVD recorder -- and I probably will very soon, that will allow me to transfer some stuff from tape. Nothing important, just things like our wedding...

As far as the kitchen goes, I have two friends (don't say it) who work in kitchen design at Home De$pot, one at 4115, one at 4176. I'm going to take some measurements and then have a talk with one or both of them, get some preliminary numbers, and then bring her down for a consult. Of course, the day I do that she'll be ready to commit, but that's another story as well.

W5RB
11-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Given that building , and thus building supply , is definitely an "off" market right now , you may be able to bargain for a nice discount on the package .

n2ize
11-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Girlfriends are even tougher than wives. Unmarried guys have it tougher than married guys.

WX7P
11-08-2010, 06:27 PM
That was a motivating factor. The last time I looked, you could still get a "traditional" VCR for about $50, and that should have been a warning sign. I considered buying the more expensive unit -- a combo VCR & DVD recorder -- and I probably will very soon, that will allow me to transfer some stuff from tape. Nothing important, just things like our wedding...

As far as the kitchen goes, I have two friends (don't say it) who work in kitchen design at Home De$pot, one at 4115, one at 4176. I'm going to take some measurements and then have a talk with one or both of them, get some preliminary numbers, and then bring her down for a consult. Of course, the day I do that she'll be ready to commit, but that's another story as well.

Wow, that's all? Our kitchen in Tule cost over $17K. I don't think I'd nitpick too much.

W5GA
11-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Hmmm...around our place it seems I'm the one doing the bugging about remodeling our bathroom. 'DSG, on the other hand, wants a new gun safe...and more guns to put in it.
Sounds to me like she's the one with the correct priorities.

W5GA
11-08-2010, 08:31 PM

How weird is that?
Worked any DX with the crash covers?

NQ6U
11-08-2010, 08:57 PM
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/image014.jpg

WX7P
11-09-2010, 03:00 AM
Worked any DX with the crash covers?

Actually, yes. She's got about 75 of them, and some are Euro.

kc7jty
11-09-2010, 03:34 AM
Girlfriends are even tougher than wives. Unmarried guys have it tougher than married guys.

Haha, not so.

n6hcm
11-09-2010, 04:09 AM
How weird is that?

oddly, it makes perfect sense to me. if the provenance is certain then rarity is assured and you have a unique piece of history. i'm not sure i'd be interested in stuff from random plane crashes--i'm assuming these items come from well-known events and/or are between well-known correspondents.

but i'm a numismatist so i collect stuff too ...

KC2UGV
11-09-2010, 07:37 AM
You have a VCR? o0

That's what I was wondering...

W3WN
11-09-2010, 09:05 AM

Only if you have both at the same time.

And as I'm watching the train wreck that my sister-in-law's marriage has turned into, I'm glad I'm not her philandering husband.

W3WN
11-09-2010, 09:10 AM
You have a VCR? o0That's what I was wondering...

It's cheaper to buy a new VCR than to replace all the Disney videos with DVD's. And let's not even discuss blue-ray.

That said, again, I am planning to buy a VCR/DVD RW combo for the basement, soon. I don't know if I'll be able to transfer those commercial videotapes to DVD, though it would be nice.

What was that line of Tommy Lee Jones' from Men In Black?
Looks like I'm going to have to buy the White Album again

W3WN
11-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Wow, that's all? Our kitchen in Tule cost over $17K. I don't think I'd nitpick too much.

Ah, 4115 and 4176 are the Home De$pot store numbers.

W3WN
11-09-2010, 09:13 AM
I knew I liked that woman.

You better hang on to her. She ever gets loose on the open market, she's going to have all sorts of suitors!

KC2UGV
11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
It's cheaper to buy a new VCR than to replace all the Disney videos with DVD's. And let's not even discuss blue-ray.

Yeah, I just bit the bullet and did it, and didn't bother replacing the VCR. I just put about 300 VHS tapes out to the curb, and an ad on craig's list to come and get them.

They were gone before I went back outside about an hour later to walk the dog... Somebody got a gold mine, and I hope they don't just hand the bag to the kids. There was some pr0n in there as well.

That said, again, I am planning to buy a VCR/DVD RW combo for the basement, soon. I don't know if I'll be able to transfer those commercial videotapes to DVD, though it would be nice.

Oh god yeah... I just got done ripping about 400 vinyls for my mom, as well as 150 cassettes, and and 30 or so 8-tracks. Now, comes the reel-to-reel recordings. Those should be fun, as I can't even find a reel-to-reel anymore :(

n2ize
11-09-2010, 11:26 AM
I have a box of about 100 VCR's of all sorts of stuff I taped over the years. I keep telling myself that one day I'll review them and copy anything worthwhile to DVD or video file format. Now, we all know that will be the day, right ? The other option is to bin them. Figure I haven;t looked at any of them in over a decade then there is nothing on them that I need. Plus, some of the more significant things that were on them I have better copies of, on modern day formats.

n2ize
11-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Oh god yeah... I just got done ripping about 400 vinyls for my mom, as well as 150 cassettes, and and 30 or so 8-tracks. Now, comes the reel-to-reel recordings. Those should be fun, as I can't even find a reel-to-reel anymore :(

I have two reel to reel machines. One is my old Tandberg reel to reel recorder (with a real magic eye tube) + built in tube amp, probably dates back to the early 1960's. . Last time I tested it it still worked, records and plays back. The other machine is a TEAC reel to reel (vintage 1970-72) that was once part of a state of the art stereo system of that era. It sort of still works but it needs some fixing. I still have some old tapes that I recorded way back in the 60's and early 70's. Some of them still sound remarkably good. Others have deteriorated and have a lot of muffled fade outs, blank spots, and spots where the tape has physically broken.

I'd like to get some blank reels of tape and mess around with the stuff a bit. I believe that the tape can still be bought, although I don;t think they make it anymore... Just like certain vacuum tubes, it's all old stock.

KC2UGV
11-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I have two reel to reel machines. One is my old Tandberg reel to reel recorder (with a real magic eye tube) + built in tube amp, probably dates back to the early 1960's. . Last time I tested it it still worked, records and plays back. The other machine is a TEAC reel to reel (vintage 1970-72) that was once part of a state of the art stereo system of that era. It sort of still works but it needs some fixing. I still have some old tapes that I recorded way back in the 60's and early 70's. Some of them still sound remarkably good. Others have deteriorated and have a lot of muffled fade outs, blank spots, and spots where the tape has physically broken.

I'd like to get some blank reels of tape and mess around with the stuff a bit. I believe that the tape can still be bought, although I don;t think they make it anymore... Just like certain vacuum tubes, it's all old stock.

Next time in NYC, I might pay you a visit :)

kf0rt
11-09-2010, 11:40 AM

eBay always has tons of r-r gear for sale, a lot of it in excellent condition (but remember that the belts don't always age well).

KC2UGV
11-09-2010, 11:41 AM
eBay always has tons of r-r gear for sale, a lot of it in excellent condition (but remember that the belts don't always age well).

Belts can be mended, amirite?

kf0rt
11-09-2010, 11:48 AM

You probably made the right choice sticking with the VCR. (Overall less brain damage...)

We went through the "replacement" thing a few years ago and replaced most of our tapes with DVD's, but bought the DVD's used on Amazon -- that's really a pretty good deal. With postage running more than most DVD's, the typical movie runs about $5 delivered.

My guess is you'll have mixed luck recording commercial VC tapes to DVD, and for the price of a used DVD, it's probably not worth your time.

Oh, and Netflix rules. :lol:

kf0rt
11-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Belts can be mended, amirite?

Not usually. They lose their stretchiness over time and have to be replaced. I think it's still possible to get a lot of the old r-r and turntable belts, pinch rollers and idler wheels, though.

KC2UGV
11-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Not usually. They lose their stretchiness over time and have to be replaced. I think it's still possible to get a lot of the old r-r and turntable belts, pinch rollers and idler wheels, though.

BAM!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Akai-Reel-Reel-Tape-Recorder-Model-m-10-/200538892752?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2eb10ca9d0

Found one that looks just like the one my mom had... She'll be thrilled (Adding to christmas shopping list)...

W5RB
11-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Dunno why I remember this old source , but a cursory search shows that they still list some belts and rollers . Used to be first rate service , if it was 25 years ago .

http://www.dalbani.com

K7SGJ
11-09-2010, 12:26 PM
My wife sells PRB. They always had a large cross ref for belts, rollers, tires, etc for tape decks and turntables. I think Russell Ind. bought them. You might want to check them out as they are pretty much the only game in town any more with a good selection.