PDA

View Full Version : Ballz!

KC2UGV
11-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Well, the order came down from the Commander In Chief (aka My wifey), that I need to get my office/ham radio station out of the living room, to make room for the tree.

So, we settled on a new, permanent location for it. Bad thing? All my antenna leads came into my living room.

So, here I sit, broken hearted. Almost... Wait, wrong story there. Now, comes the time to re-run all the antenna feeds. Wondering if I should do it now, or wait until I get some respectable feed line (I was using Belden 8241). It's going to be a bit of work just re-running the old line to it's new location, but a spool of cable needs to wait until after the holidays...

I'm already getting antsy. The shack isn't set back up yet, just enough space for my remote office (Desk space for paper, and keyboard). Not seeing FLDigi running makes me sad :( And not seeing my Heard List on 2 meter packet :(

But, gotta keep the Commander in Chief happy, right? And, I now have my out of the way space in the deal.

N8YX
11-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Get new feedline.

When I wired up my station in its new location in our living room, I had to drill a pair of 2" diameter holes through a cement foundation wall with a hand sledge and a concrete chisel. Put a pair of ABS pipes through the holes, cemented them in place. All the feed lines, ground cables and whatnot run through a pair of pipe caps which are drilled to pass each line individually. The centers of each pipe are stuffed tightly with steel wool to further discourage critters from using them as an ingress point, and the metallic wrapping acts as an RF choke of sorts.

PA5COR
11-05-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't need a stinking tree in the house.
My station is also in the living room, nobody will get it away from there.
I made a nice computer room for the wife upstairs, she can put a tree up there for all i care.
;)

KG4CGC
11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I made a nice computer room for the wife upstairs, seh can put a tree up there for all i care.
;):clap::clap::clap::giggity:

kb2vxa
11-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Just reroute the coax and worry about replacing it later. If space is at a premium something like VK2TV Ray's setup just might fit.

N2NH
11-05-2010, 11:48 PM
I keep forgetting how lucky I am. The Boss is also a ham and loves the hobby.

WØTKX
11-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Keep looking for a gracefully aging 'ol hippie chick ham radio lovin' ski bunny . Non existent species. About 4-6 times a year, I get out there and date. I seem to be too active for most of my age group, or something, and I don't appreciate young silly girls. Maybe I'll look for a reformed nun. :dunno:

Oh, and I don't ride a Harley. Maybe that would help. Naa, that's shallow.

http://www.boxofmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/hal2.jpg

W3MIV
11-06-2010, 06:46 AM
... I don't appreciate young silly girls.

Ohhh, they have their uses. :yes:

NQ6U
11-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Ohhh, they have their uses. :yes:

I know what you mean, Albi, but the problem is that you have to talk to 'em when you're done.

PA5COR
11-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Pretend you fell asleep.... works for me :lol:

I know what you mean, Albi, but the problem is that you have to talk to 'em when you're done.

NQ6U
11-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Pretend you fell asleep.... works for me :lol:

Actually, Cor, most of the time I don't have to pretend! :lol:

N2CHX
11-06-2010, 11:05 AM
OMG you guys are pathetic :rofl:

NQ6U
11-06-2010, 11:10 AM

Just old, Kelli. It happens to the best of us.

W3WN
11-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Well, the order came down from the Commander In Chief (aka My wifey), that I need to get my office/ham radio station out of the living room, to make room for the tree.

So, we settled on a new, permanent location for it. Bad thing? All my antenna leads came into my living room.

So, here I sit, broken hearted. Almost... Wait, wrong story there. Now, comes the time to re-run all the antenna feeds. Wondering if I should do it now, or wait until I get some respectable feed line (I was using Belden 8241). It's going to be a bit of work just re-running the old line to it's new location, but a spool of cable needs to wait until after the holidays...

I'm already getting antsy. The shack isn't set back up yet, just enough space for my remote office (Desk space for paper, and keyboard). Not seeing FLDigi running makes me sad :( And not seeing my Heard List on 2 meter packet :(

But, gotta keep the Commander in Chief happy, right? And, I now have my out of the way space in the deal.
Options:
(1) Discretely run temporary extensions from the existing coax to the new location.
(2) Run ONE temporary extension and use a remote controlled antenna switch for HF. Run a second one for V/UHF.

Either way, this gets you back on the air temporarily and with a relative minimum of fuss and expense. And ask around, I'm sure some of your friends can loan you or trade you some short coax lengths.

Then once you've got things set up, you have plenty of time to plan out the final shack. And that includes getting new coax runs from the shack to the new location.

But leave the existing runs into the living room where they are; at worst, shorten them when the weather permits outside and seal. You never know when you might need one!

N2CHX
11-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Just old, Kelli. It happens to the best of us.

Yeah, you're not that old and I love ya anyway.

N2CHX
11-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Plan C: Buy a house in Lancaster so we can be neighbors.

N5RLR
11-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Plan C: Buy a house in Lancaster so we can be neighbors.
If I were to come into money [or hit the lottery] I'd consider moving to the Buffalo area, especially since my son is there. :)

N2CHX
11-06-2010, 05:47 PM
If I were to come into money [or hit the lottery] I'd consider moving to the Buffalo area, especially since my son is there. :)

Cool. It's nice here. A little frustrating with jobs right now, but it's that way everywhere.

PA5COR
11-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Please, have mercy, i'm 58 and my wife 46....:roll::lol:

W4RLR
11-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Please, have mercy, i'm 58 and my wife 46....:roll::lol:Cradle robber! :rofl:

PA5COR
11-07-2010, 06:16 AM
We started dating at 16 and 28 years of age...
Most people we knew told us it would not last long.... they are devorced now and we still are together ;)

Cradle robber! :rofl:

N2CHX
11-07-2010, 09:04 AM
Please, have mercy, i'm 58 and my wife 46....:roll::lol:

Nothing wrong with that. Older men are teh sex.

kb2vxa
11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Actually the other way round, why do you think the pool boy was invented?

PA5COR
11-07-2010, 12:57 PM
I resent that! ad we don't have a pool either....;)

Actually the other way round, why do you think the pool boy was invented?

WØTKX
11-10-2010, 03:13 AM
Older balding guys have more testosterone...

NQ6U
11-10-2010, 01:32 PM
We started dating at 16 and 28 years of age...

You could have gotten arrested for that in most U.S. states. Except perhaps in Arkansas, where it's not only legal, but encouraged. There, a 16 year-old is considered an old maid.

PA5COR
11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
We're sexually liberated here since the 1960's. ;)
WE got our son when she was 23, and (i) were sure the relation could have a good chance to survive.
Proof, we're still married and a couple together.

I had my relations before, but always knew i would not bind permanently at an early age, too mant wild hairs and all that ....
Hair in decline now, and grey...
There's always Ham radio ;)