PDA

View Full Version : LMAO

kf0rt
11-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Getting ready to sell an older G4 Mac Mini on eBay. Haven't powered it up in over a a year and forgot the password. (And I don't know Macs).

Web research says I can power up in single-user terminal mode, blah, blah, I'll get there.

When it powers up this way, it says:

If you want to make modifications to files:
/sbin/fsck -fy

Who says Apple doesn't have a sense of humor? :rofl:

NQ6U
11-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Unless there is stuff on the drive you want to save, the best thing to do is boot it from a system CD, then reformat and reinstall the OS.

kf0rt
11-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Unless there is stuff on the drive you want to save, the best thing to do is boot it from a system CD, then reformat and reinstall the OS.

That's what I was trying. From what I can tell, it won't boot the system CD and wants the password to even run it. Hints?

If I start the system with the install CD in the drive, it appears to ignore it, but I can get to the CD and run "Install OSX" then it demands credentials.

NQ6U
11-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Put the CD in the drive, then reboot. Press the "C" key as soon as you hear the startup tone and hold it down until you see the splash screen. It will boot from the CD. You can also put the CD in, then go to Control Panels:Startup Disk and choose the CD. If you do it that way, though, you'll have to reset it later.

kf0rt
11-04-2010, 05:12 PM
Think I'm "in" on the old install... Hang on a sec... :)

kf0rt
11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
That worked. New User ID: Administrator, p/w is admin. Delete the .applesetupdone file and it comes up like a new machine, complete with ugly intro and a demand for your name, address, rank and serial number.

It's now pulling in OS updates from the 'net.

I'd done a fresh format/install before I set this thing aside about a year ago, just forgot the password. Know I wrote it down, but a bit of hacking seemed faster than tearing this place apart to find a scrap of paper. The 'C' key rings a bell, now that you mention it.

Thanks for your help, Carl. If anyone here wants it, I'll post an ad before it goes to eBay... ;)

NQ6U
11-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I've got one of those little G4 minis hooked up to my stereo system so I can play from my iTunes library. Works great for that and has been running 24/7 for close to five years now without a hitch. Really reliable computer.