PDA

View Full Version : Photo Printer Recommendations?

NQ6U
11-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Anybody care to recommend a color printer strictly for digital photos?

I have a laser printer for B&W work, I'm looking for something that's not too expensive (up to $200, but less would be better) and does an excellent job with photos. 8x10 format is large enough, needs to have a driver for Mac OS X; Windows and Linux drivers would be a bonus.

KG4CGC
11-04-2010, 04:35 PM
It's MUCH cheaper to take them to your local camera services store. I quit printing years ago. I get real photo-prints too. Hell even those little photo kiosk deals do a decent job and are uber cheap.

Sorry I couldn't help. I've been out of the printer loop for about 4 years. Had some nice printed work fade off the paper after 6 months, some after 2 years. Too many variables and I don't want to waste time, ink and paper figuring it out for the tweaks of the Nth degree.

NQ6U
11-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I hear what you're saying, Charles, and I'd just as soon not be bothered with printing color at all but what happens here is that the Mother-in-Law will want one on short notice after seeing pictures of the grandkids (her great-grandkids) on my laptop. I'm not worried about top quality or archival permanence; if they last a couple of years, that's good enough.

kf0rt
11-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Was just looking at printers on Newegg recently. I've got an "old" HP 8250 here that gets used mostly for office-type printing, but occasionally gets pushed into service for photo prints.

Being the lazy bastidge that I am, I rely a lot on user reviews of gear and right now, Canon printers are getting the nod among Newegg users. (I'm starting to feel like a Canon shill here!). Printers are cheap (but ink is expensive) -- buy what's popular and be done with it if you just need it occasionally.

If I ever have to print a bunch, I think I'm going to try Charles' approach. Never done that before, but my daughter says she can get good prints from China cheaper than doing it herself.

KG4CGC
11-04-2010, 05:02 PM
If I go to Wolf Camera, I put the files I want in .tiff format and put them on a CD. In this scenario I probably started out in RAW and saved in Adobe .PSD and .tiff.

KJ3N
11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
It's been several years since I've bought a color printer, but my Canon i960 is still giving me very good prints. If I were looking for a newer model, I think I would tend to go with Canon again.

K7SGJ
11-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I had one of the Canon Pixma series printers awhile back. It used six or so print carts. The photos were nice but kinda expensive. Now we use an HP ink jet when we need to print in color. Although not really a photo quality printer, it does okay for the occasional pix. Not much family left to share photos with anymore, so most of our photography is just for our own fun.

WØTKX
11-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I got a little Brother MFC-255CW (http://alatest.com/reviews/printer-reviews/brother-mfc-255cw/po3-82843388,31/) fax/print/scanner/copier that does well on photos, and it's cheap.

W1GUH
11-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Probably any Canon or HP photo ink-jet will do a wholly satisfactory job. My HP's vintage 2002 and it's still going great. Amazingly so - it's been dropped and kicked around and the ink cartridge door is held shut by tape. But..it still keeps going.

Ink's expensive, unless you consider that each ink cartridge comes with a new printing head. Probably why these things keep on printing wonderfully.

The big problem with ink jet prints is they aren't waterproof...any moisture will result in a smudge on the image. That's a strong argument for getting real prints from a photo-finishing shop. Or....if you can live with 4x6, one of those "Dye Sub" printers by Canon. Here's Adorama's listing. (http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Computer%20Systems&cat2=Inkjet%20%26%20Dye%20Sub%20Printers%20and%20A ccessories&cat3=Dye%20Sub%20%26%20Thermal%20Printers) They do an excellent job, even printing right from the camera, and those prints ARE waterproof, right from the printer. But...you're limited to 4x6.

kb2vxa
11-05-2010, 06:20 PM
For what it's worth I use an HP J4580 and 8 X 10 on plain paper behind glass looks pretty darn good, as good as a framed glossy.

NQ6U
11-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Or....if you can live with 4x6, one of those "Dye Sub" printers by Canon. [...] They do an excellent job, even printing right from the camera, and those prints ARE waterproof, right from the printer. But...you're limited to 4x6.

I could live with 4x6. How expensive are the consumables for a dye sublimation printer?

kf0rt
11-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I could live with 4x6. How expensive are the consumables for a dye sublimation printer?

They're expensive.

My Dad has a Canon "Selphy" printer that does the 4x6's and the paper/ink all comes in a cartridge -- there are no separate ink cartridges. As I recall, the printer is pretty cheap ($100 or less), but the cartridges run about $20 and only have paper for about 20-30 prints. This may have changed.

It's weird to watch one of these printers operate. They print one RGB layer at a time and you get to watch each layer as it prints (they're slow). Good photo quality and it's more "archival" but I don't think the quality is noticeably better than a good ink-jet. I wouldn't buy one unless the archival quality was a big issue, and even then if cost is an issue, you can upload your files to a place that has good pro gear and will do your prints for a lot less.

Dye-sub is a non-starter here, but as usual, it depends on what you're after.

n0iu
11-07-2010, 03:59 AM
I am in the same camp as those who say let someone else do the printing. When we have stuff to print, we stick it on a thumb drive and take it to the kiosk at Wally World! Its not that either of the printers we have don't do a good job of printing pictures, but holy shit, have you seen the price of color cartridges???

n6hcm
11-07-2010, 04:04 AM
usedta be that there were ways of getting free/discounted prints at walgreens/costco/... but i never make prints so i don't track this anymore.

n0iu
11-07-2010, 04:10 AM
...but what happens here is that the Mother-in-Law will want one on short notice after seeing pictures of the grandkids (her great-grandkids) on my laptop.
I think it was the late great Rodney Dangerfield who said, "I just got back from a pleasure trip. I took my mother-in-law to the airport!"

kb2vxa
11-07-2010, 11:28 AM
ERNIE K-DOE
"Mother-In-Law"

(Mother in Law) Mother In Law
(Mother in Law) Mother In Law

The worst person I know
(Mother-in law, mother-in law)
(Mother-in law, mother-in law)
A she worries me, so
If she'd leave us alone
A we would have a happy home
Sent from down below

Mother in Law, Mother in Law

Satan should be her name
To me they're bout the same
Every time I open my mouth
She steps in, tries to put me out
How could she stoop so low

Mother in law

[Instrumental Interlude]

I come home with my pay
She asks me what I made
She thinks her advice is the constitution
But if she would leave that would be the solution
And don't come back no more

Mother in law
My......mother in law, ah
Oh yeah

W1GUH
11-08-2010, 09:46 AM

Here's Adorama's current prices. (http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Computer%20Systems&cat2=Inkjet%20%26%20Dye%20Sub%20Printers%20and%20A ccessories&cat3=Dye%20Sub%20Ribbons%20And%20Media) YMMV

Good photo quality and it's more "archival" but I don't think the quality is noticeably better than a good ink-jet.

I agree. It's not better photo-quality, except the prints are waterproof. "Ya pays your money and ya takes your choice!"

And the fact that the Canon printer is portable and battery powered means you can make your own custom postcards anywhere -- for whatever that's worth.

n2ize
11-09-2010, 04:31 AM
Probably any Canon or HP photo ink-jet will do a wholly satisfactory job. My HP's vintage 2002 and it's still going great. Amazingly so - it's been dropped and kicked around and the ink cartridge door is held shut by tape. But..it still keeps going.

Ink's expensive, unless you consider that each ink cartridge comes with a new printing head.

Not all printers have the print head contained in the ink cartridge. There are many ink cartriges which are nothing more than a plastic enclosure containing a sponge soaked with ink and a "smart chip" located somewhere to count how many pages it has printed so it can give an ink level estimate and the print head is separate.

For example most of my older HP printers are the type with the print head built into the cartridge. But on my newest one they are not. The print head is a separate unit that can be removed for cleaning or replacement.

W1GUH
11-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Not all printers have the print head contained in the ink cartridge. There are many ink cartriges which are nothing more than a plastic enclosure containing a sponge soaked with ink and a "smart chip" located somewhere to count how many pages it has printed so it can give an ink level estimate and the print head is separate.

For example most of my older HP printers are the type with the print head built into the cartridge. But on my newest one they are not. The print head is a separate unit that can be removed for cleaning or replacement.

That's good to know, thanks, John.

KG4CGC
11-09-2010, 07:20 PM
That's good to know, thanks, John.
Yeah. Thanks, John.

n2ize
11-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah. Thanks, John.

Thank Jane. She pointed it out to me when she examined the print cartridge and noticed there was no print head attached. She also tracked down the continuous flow ink system i am now using. So far I haven't had to buy cartridges in many months. All I do not is add ink to the reservoirs when it is running low.

KG4CGC
11-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Is Jane the one who posted pictures somewhere of an ink cartridge system that resembled a professional hydroponic layout??

W1GUH
11-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Thank Jane. She pointed it out to me when she examined the print cartridge and noticed there was no print head attached. She also tracked down the continuous flow ink system i am now using. So far I haven't had to buy cartridges in many months. All I do not is add ink to the reservoirs when it is running low.

Are the headless cartridges cheaper then the other one?

n2ize
11-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Are the headless cartridges cheaper then the other one?

yes, I think so. Although not by much,

n2ize
11-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Is Jane the one who posted pictures somewhere of an ink cartridge system that resembled a professional hydroponic layout??

Maybe. She might have pointed it out to me and then I might have posted it. if you're referring to the continuous flow ink sytem it works So far I've been using it for several months and have yet to have to replace a cartridge..