PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Cars

kd8dey
11-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I hate cars
replaced 1 tire (will pop not may pop) Used at a local mom and pop tire shop
look all over town for 15 inch 100mm rims
replace 3 rims.(Trip back to mom and pop)
had 1 tire,patched, balancing etc.
replaced front brakes/rotors

had oil changed at Midas.

Midas wants to do
power steering flush
tranny flush
exhaust
shocks/struts
Valve cover gasket
gas line.......

did I mention
I hate cars?

w3bny
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
News flash...

Midas ALWAYS wants to do all those flushes...It helps flush the cash from your wallet. Just tell em NO THANK YOU.

WA4TM
11-03-2010, 11:22 AM
News flash...

Midas ALWAYS wants to do all those flushes...It helps flush the cash from your wallet. Just tell em NO THANK YOU.

Agreed!!!!!!! 110%

N2CHX
11-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah, try walking into one of those places when you're a woman. They want to do all that AND about a dozen other things. Thankfully I did learn a few things from my father, seeing car repair cons for what they are being one.

K7SGJ
11-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Tell them you just had it done at Goodyear.

W3WN
11-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Many of your small, local mom-and-pop garages will change your oil at a competitive price with the chains, and they won't do any extra work or try to pressure you into it.

Both the Grease Monkey and Pennzoil Quick Change outfits down on State Route 88 run a little scam. During the oil change, they remove your air filter, show it to you, and offer to change it while they're working on the car. The filter itself you can buy at Advanced Auto Parts for about $9 to $12 depending on the car -- and that's where they get it at wholesale, incidentally. Fall for this, and they set you back $25 to $35 (which they claim is the cost, the work on the filter is "free" since they were already servicing the car). Decline, and they try to put you on a guilt trip, especially if you're female.

Well, I fixed their wagons the last time each tried this stunt. Before going for the oil change, I bought a new air filter for the car (either mine or my wife's, depending) ahead of time at Advanced. When they pulled out the filter and showed it to me, I smiled and said "Yes, I was aware of that, that's why I bought a brand new filter that I was going to put in when I got home. Would you mind, since you already removed this one?"

Gotcha! To date, they've put the new filter in without further fuss. What choice do they have? They can't very well say on the one hand that this is a "free" service that's included as part of the oil change, and then try to charge me for it...

Don't get mad. Get even.

kb2crk
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
one of the reason i change my own oil.

W1GUH
11-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Oh, thanks. Now I gotta go scrub all the oil and grease off my hands, something that always seemed to be the most difficult part of any car service...even changing the bulb in the dome light. Getting grease all over the keyboard. See? Just thinking of changing air filters, oil, or any of that is enough for all grease particles withing 5 miles to gravitate to my grubby hands!

Just kiddin'....but I grew to HATE car work. Some jobs were fun, but when I finally got to where I don't do anything except emergency repairs, I just don't miss it at all.

Read a humorous article in (I think) Car & Driver about how some mechanics can do the dirtiest job in a tux and white gloves and NEVER get dirty. While others can be a mess from just thinking about car work. I am definitely the latter!

kc7jty
11-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Midas is a Rip Off!

w3bny
11-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Oh, thanks. Now I gotta go scrub all the oil and grease off my hands, something that always seemed to be the most difficult part of any car service...

Some trick I heard....Rub hands down with non gel shaving cream. Seals pores and helps the grease/gunk from staining skin. Other trick...Nitrile gloves. Ok you loose tacticle touch but eh.. Or...just go down and get a tub of goop or scrubby orange and just do it! As for the final cleaning. I do it in the shower. I keep a nail brush in there and after I wash my hair, put a bit of shower gel on the nail brush and scrubbity...come out nice and clean.

N2CHX
11-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Obviously I'm a lipstick lesbian, because there's no eff'n way I'm going to change the oil in my car. I won't even change a flat tire. Much easier to stand there looking helpless and wait for a guy to come along and help.

suddenseer
11-03-2010, 03:37 PM
AAmco used to pull a nasty scheme. They will get you in the door with an automatic transmission service special. Change fluid, filter, adjust bands. The technician will show you metal shavings in the pan, or filter and try to get you to pay for a rebuild which can be thousands of dollars. Most normal functioning automatic transmissions will have some metal shavings. The best thing one can do is the fluid swap. The machine pumps all of the fluid out of the system when the vehicle is running. Keeping fresh fluid is vital. My 01 GMC Sierra had over 500K mikes when I traded it in on a new one. No transmission problems.

NA4BH
11-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Tell them you just had it done at Goodyear.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

w2amr
11-03-2010, 04:10 PM
You guys should try doing it it ever day. Right Luke?:lol:

w2amr
11-03-2010, 04:14 PM
News flash...

The best bet is to find a local mechanic you can trust. Yeah, I know it's not easy.

suddenseer
11-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I hate working on cars because when I was younger the car repair was usually performed on the side of the road, or a parking lot. Getting to class or work was fully dependent on my repairing success. It always seemed to be in the rain, or snow. I could never work on vehicles for a hobby.

KG4CGC
11-03-2010, 04:35 PM
LOL! Gotta love a vehicle that changes its own oil at the rate of a quart a week!

N2CHX
11-03-2010, 04:45 PM
LOL! Gotta love a vehicle that changes its own oil at the rate of a quart a week!

I've owned more than one car with the "Continuous Oil Change" feature.

kb2crk
11-03-2010, 04:52 PM

i have owned a few of those. change the filter once every 4000 miles. lol
rule of thumb. dont ever buy a mechanics daily driver.
i dont do just my own oil changes, i do all of my own work except for tire changes. i do not have the equipment to change tires when they wear out.
it has saved me a small fortune over the years. it also helps that i was a ASE certified mechanic for 10 years.

KA5PIU
11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Hello.

I am very good at automobile repair and can easily rebuild an engine.
I can also avoid a garage like the plague!
As a heavy equipment operator/truck driver I have to understand how my equipment works and how to maintain it, that is my job.
Tires? go to a junk yard and find a nice donor with 4 tires already on the rims and be sure to take the lug nuts and jack while you are at it.
A junk yard may charge $30 per wheel and another $10 for the tire tool and jack, under $150 total cash.
If you select good tires you can run for a year or 2 on your replacement wheels and have can always have a fresh spare or 2 on hand in your trunk.
Junkyards are also a good source for used tires and they go for under $20 but you will need to have them mounted and having tires balanced and mounted with a new valve stem can run $20 easy per tire.
Walmart will mount their tires for free and the minor extra charges are thus offset.
By having at least 2 good spares on hand you avert disaster.
By having a complete set, 2 at the house you can swap out at a moments notice, you buy time to go to the junk yard for that next visit. ;)
Oil changes are very important and walmart is as cheap as any.
Other things like fan belts you can change but should make it a point to carry a spare even if you will never change it.
An emergency fan belt is a nylon stocking but they do sell instant emergency belts, like the donut spare, just enough to get you home.
By carrying a minimal set of repair parts you can be better prepared.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/tires-auto-parts/auto-parts/roadside-emergency-kit-what-to-carry-with-you-1105/overview/index.htm
You may dislike cars but will find that it sure beats walking! ;)

N2CHX
11-03-2010, 05:45 PM
You may dislike cars but will find that it sure beats walking! ;)

Actually I like walking and riding my bike. I do both as often as possible.

kf0rt
11-03-2010, 05:51 PM
AAmco used to pull a nasty scheme. They will get you in the door with an automatic transmission service special. Change fluid, filter, adjust bands. The technician will show you metal shavings in the pan, or filter and try to get you to pay for a rebuild which can be thousands of dollars. Most normal functioning automatic transmissions will have some metal shavings. The best thing one can do is the fluid swap. The machine pumps all of the fluid out of the system when the vehicle is running. Keeping fresh fluid is vital. My 01 GMC Sierra had over 500K mikes when I traded it in on a new one. No transmission problems.

There's something to be said for that, but if you look at the sales literature for an ATF pumping machine, it'll tell you to park a bucket under the machine to catch all the money you'll make from it. It's a high profit biz.

suddenseer
11-03-2010, 07:40 PM
There's something to be said for that, but if you look at the sales literature for an ATF pumping machine, it'll tell you to park a bucket under the machine to catch all the money you'll make from it. It's a high profit biz.It is expensive. I did the atf fluid swap about every 40K miles. I did all of the routine maintenance (serpentine belts, synthetic oil, cooling system 2 x year, etc shocks) I had to replace exhaust system a couple of times. Tires about 12x. The only thing that broke was a tie rod, I replaced the other one too. I got half a million miles off that truck in 7 years. I bet it is still on the road. I had good luck with it.

W3WN
11-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Obviously I'm a lipstick lesbian, because there's no eff'n way I'm going to change the oil in my car. I won't even change a flat tire. Much easier to stand there looking helpless and wait for a guy to come along and help.

You? Helpless? I can't picture it.

W3WN
11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
There's something to be said for that, but if you look at the sales literature for an ATF pumping machine, it'll tell you to park a bucket under the machine to catch all the money you'll make from it. It's a high profit biz.
One of the aforementioned quick-change joints pulled that on my wife a few years back. The car she was driving at the time was starting to have some acceleration problems. I told her it was most likely a clogged fuel filter. She thought it just needed an oil change, which it did but that wasn't the problem. So she asked them to look at it when she took the van down for me for the oil change. They convinced her it was the transmission fluid, and charged her an extra $70 to flush and replace it.

Lo & behold, no change in peformance. So they wanted to do more repair work. That's when I got involved.

And sure enough, the problem was... a clogged fuel filter.

Fast forward to last December, her Olds (now my Olds) starts doing the same thing, about the time for the oil change. She panics. She's ready to sign off on gahd knows what (from the other place). I take it for a test drive... and go straight to our mechanic. Want to take a guess as to what it was?

ad4mg
11-03-2010, 08:31 PM
You guys should try doing it it ever day. Right Luke?:lol:
Damn right! Grease under your nails is considered a fashion accessory by the better mechanics!

suddenseer
11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
One of the aforementioned quick-change joints pulled that on my wife a few years back. The car she was driving at the time was starting to have some acceleration problems. I told her it was most likely a clogged fuel filter. She thought it just needed an oil change, which it did but that wasn't the problem. So she asked them to look at it when she took the van down for me for the oil change. They convinced her it was the transmission fluid, and charged her an extra $70 to flush and replace it.

Lo & behold, no change in peformance. So they wanted to do more repair work. That's when I got involved.

And sure enough, the problem was... a clogged fuel filter.

Fast forward to last December, her Olds (now my Olds) starts doing the same thing, about the time for the oil change. She panics. She's ready to sign off on gahd knows what (from the other place). I take it for a test drive... and go straight to our mechanic. Want to take a guess as to what it was?ATF swap is PM it won't fix anything. Let me guess....a clogged fuel filter?

ki4itv
11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Timely thread.
I dropped $963.00 on my truck today.
Not that I feel good about it or anything.

KA5PIU
11-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Actually I like walking and riding my bike. I do both as often as possible.

Hello.

I have a bike with an original whizzer engine.
http://www.whizzermotorbike.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whizzer_(motorcycles)
I have since added a hub drive electric motor and battery pack.
I fire up the engine when I am on the road, fully bored out so top end is around 25-30 MPH.
When I start out in the residence and in neighborhoods I run under electric power.
To start the gasoline engine I simply get the thing up to speed and engage the clutch, electric starter. ;)
I have 2 battery packs and take them inside to charge, wherever that may be.
5 miles on one battery and that can take me to my destination most of the time.

n2ize
11-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Remember this...

http://jalopnik.com/395384/meineke-molly-mashes-malaise-muffler-money

NQ6U
11-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Hello.

I have a bike with an original whizzer engine.
http://www.whizzermotorbike.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whizzer_(motorcycles)
I have since added a hub drive electric motor and battery pack.
I fire up the engine when I am on the road, fully bored out so top end is around 25-30 MPH.
When I start out in the residence and in neighborhoods I run under electric power.
To start the gasoline engine I simply get the thing up to speed and engage the clutch, electric starter. ;)
I have 2 battery packs and take them inside to charge, wherever that may be.
5 miles on one battery and that can take me to my destination most of the time.

Did you put playing cards in the spokes so you get that cool motorcycle noise, Rudy?

n2ize
11-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Did you put playing cards in the spokes so you get that cool motorcycle noise, Rudy?

I have an old Peugeot moped somewhere in my parents garage. Still runs last time I tested it.

K7SGJ
11-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Balloons sound even better than cards.

W4RLR
11-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Try owning a Ford F-250 with a Torque-Shift transmission. It uses nineteen quarts of synthetic transmission fluid and has two filters. All are changed every 30,000 miles. Did I mention the fluid is only available from Ford and runs $7.50 a quart wholesale?

Oil changes, fifteen quarts of Shell Rotella and a filter that runs $30, changed every 7500 miles. Two fuel filters that run $60 for the set, changed every 15,000 miles. Air filter gets changed every 50,000 miles, $75 a pop.

She's an expensive beast to maintain, but my truck will pull damned near anything. And I have to let my trusted mechanics do the work as I don't have a garage anymore and don't like laying in dirt.

WØTKX
11-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I used to wrench my brains out, just for the joy of it. Built the snot out of a couple of Opels and resurrected a bunch of motorcycles. And babied an old Mercedes 280SE for a lot of years. Toyota and Honda stuff however need very little, and now I usually pay a trusted mechanic for the regular stuff.

I'm a big fan of reliable now, instead of "interesting".

kc7jty
11-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Built the snot out of a couple of Opels

No chit. I had 3:

64 kadett
67 kadett wagon
70 GT

Always swapping engines, trannys, mods, you name it. Had a complete spare car for the 67 wagon for parts.
Drove the wagon all over the country numerous times. 1.1 liter. I remember 18 was top speed once in Colorado with a full load of camping gear and a skinny wife.

http://www.adclassix.com/images/67buickopelwagon.jpghttp://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/opel_gts.jpg
.................................................. .................................................. ..... the GT was that orange above.

n2ize
11-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Balloons sound even better than cards.

Yes, I remember kids would tie balloons around the fork so they flapped against the spokes. A lost art. Kids just don;t do that kind of stuff anymore.

ki4itv
11-04-2010, 01:37 AM
The Opal GT body styling is drop dead sexy.
I almost forgot how small they were, but the guy in the next commercial space is rebuilding one, Cool car.

kc7jty
11-04-2010, 03:36 AM
The Opal GT body styling is drop dead sexy.
I almost forgot how small they were, but the guy in the next commercial space is rebuilding one, Cool car.

Sexy looking mebbe, but a real POS. The 1.9 L 4 was sluggish at best, and it was the worst cornering car I ever drove except the VW beetle.

The Nissan Versa I now have corners like it's on rails without the slightest noise from the tires, and I've heard some say it doesn't corner well. Cars have come a long way.

w2amr
11-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Hello.

I am very good at automobile repair and can easily rebuild an engine.

Where do you keep your boring bar and crankshaft lathe? How do you check ring end gap? How do you check the clearance between the bearings and crankshaft? How do you check the clearance between the pistons and the valves? How do you check the thrust bearing clearance? Have you ever been inside a turkish prison?:chin:

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Hello.

No Turkish prison.
Babbitt bearings.
Send block out to machine shop.
Piston at TDC and depth gauge at spark plug opening.
Hone cylinder walls and measure with calipers being sure to clean up the ridge.
And I look carefully at the old parts and what I am replacing it with and as I assemble more than anything.
I align distributor and timing chain as per the manual and have it all running in short order.

w2amr
11-04-2010, 05:42 AM
Hello.

No Turkish prison.
Babbitt bearings.
Send block out to machine shop.
Piston at TDC and depth gauge at spark plug opening.
Hone cylinder walls and measure with calipers being sure to clean up the ridge.
And I look carefully at the old parts and what I am replacing it with and as I assemble more than anything.
I align distributor and timing chain as per the manual and have it all running in short order.
Plastigage to check the clearances between the crank and bearings.
Modeling clay can be used to check the piston to valve clearance.
Feeler gauges to check the thrust bearing.
Feeler gauges to check ring end gap.

Over and out.

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 06:02 AM
Hello.

I have never used modeling clay for anything on an engine.
Plastigage? afaik I have never seen one.
Remember that I can rebuild an engine but do not build engines, no changes whatsoever.
Again, I carefully look at the old parts and the new parts and if anything differs I find out why.
I have never had any desire whatsoever to "hop-up" an engine.

kf0rt
11-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Sexy looking mebbe, but a real POS. The 1.9 L 4 was sluggish at best, and it was the worst cornering car I ever drove except the VW beetle.

The Nissan Versa I now have corners like it's on rails without the slightest noise from the tires, and I've heard some say it doesn't corner well. Cars have come a long way.

Does the Versa have the CVT? Fluid for the CVT is $20 a quart and it takes 5 quarts.

kd8dey
11-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Remember this...

http://jalopnik.com/395384/meineke-molly-mashes-malaise-muffler-money

I havn't seen a Meineke commercial in a long time. are they still in business?

never mind I looked online.

BTW went past blockbuster and they have a BIG yellow store closing sign up. guess maybe they did finally go bankrupt

W1GUH
11-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Yes, I remember kids would tie balloons around the fork so they flapped against the spokes. A lost art. Kids just don;t do that kind of stuff anymore.

Trouble is....didn't last that long til they popped. Then they don't sound so good. Playing cards lasted longer, but not all that much longer and besides, the clothes pins we used to clip them to the fender usually busted, too. But it DID sound good, if only for a while.

W1GUH
11-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Seen a couple of these around lately. Forgot how good they looked.

http://www.sunsetclassics.com/1968-vw-karmann-ghia/images/1968-vw-karmann-ghia.jpg

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Trouble is....didn't last that long til they popped. Then they don't sound so good. Playing cards lasted longer, but not all that much longer and besides, the clothes pins we used to clip them to the fender usually busted, too. But it DID sound good, if only for a while.

Hello.

I had no desire whatsoever to do anything like that.
In fact I have sections of pipe added to my whizzer with glass fiber insulation inside to muffle the noise.
I was operating tractors since a small child and so already had my fill of noise.
In fact I absolutely hated the 8 track player and AM radio, FM radio and classical music for me.

N2CHX
11-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Hello.

I had no desire whatsoever to do anything like that.
In fact I have sections of pipe added to my whizzer with glass fiber insulation inside to muffle the noise.
I was operating tractors since a small child and so already had my fill of noise.
In fact I absolutely hated the 8 track player and AM radio, FM radio and classical music for me.

Oh dear amazing Rudy, is there anything you haven't done?

NA4BH
11-04-2010, 09:11 AM

Let me go out on a limb here..................... ANSWER: Told the truth?

W3WN
11-04-2010, 09:15 AM

With all due respect and no malice intended or implied (how's THAT for a legal disclaimer!), I do believe that our Cowthief is a legend in his own mind.

And rumor has it that his primary care physician wants a chat with him regarding his blood tests. His meds may need adjusted again.

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Hello.

Rebuilding an engine is something I learned early on.
I lived around machinery and with machine comes servicing and repair.
And to be blunt, nearly anyone can rebuild an engine given the correct tools and instruction.
This is by no means rocket science.
In fact things like cylinder boring tools and the like are sold at any well stocked automobile supply house.
Rebuilding an engine is just a matter of putting things back in working order.
I have never had any desire to do much more than keeping things running the way they need to be.

NQ6U
11-04-2010, 12:07 PM

That's true. I was very into sports cars back in the day and liked driving fast on winding roads. Thanks to a couple of good connections, I had the opportunity to drive some of the best-handling cars of the era, and I can say that pretty much any of the current crop of econo-boxes will out-handle most of of them. The only old car I can think of that might still beat a modern car when it comes to sheer cornering ability would be the Lotus Europa, which stuck to the pavement like an abalone.

And, of course, modern cars are far more reliable and require much less maintenance as well. On the other hand, when modern cars do need work, it's much harder for your average shade tree mechanic to work on one.

kb2crk
11-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Hello.

Rebuilding an engine is something I learned early on.
I lived around machinery and with machine comes servicing and repair.
And to be blunt, nearly anyone can rebuild an engine given the correct tools and instruction.
This is by no means rocket science.
In fact things like cylinder boring tools and the like are sold at any well stocked automobile supply house.
Rebuilding an engine is just a matter of putting things back in working order.
I have never had any desire to do much more than keeping things running the way they need to be.

in other words, you dont have a clue.
it was funny when you were asked what you used and you replied machine shop.
thats paying someone else to do it for you rudy.

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
in other words, you dont have a clue.
it was funny when you were asked what you used and you replied machine shop.
thats paying someone else to do it for you rudy.

Hello.

Yes, I will pull the engine and remove parts from the block and clean it to the point to where I can deliver it to a machine shop.
I may even opt for an out and out engine exchange as there is no advantage whatsoever in doing it any other way.
Remember that the goal is to rebuild an engine so that it runs correctly.
At other times, like in the case of a tractor, this may not be an option.

kb2crk
11-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Hello.

Yes, I will pull the engine and remove parts from the block and clean it to the point to where I can deliver it to a machine shop.
I may even opt for an out and out engine exchange as there is no advantage whatsoever in doing it any other way.
Remember that the goal is to rebuild an engine so that it runs correctly.
At other times, like in the case of a tractor, this may not be an option.

pulling the engine and sending it to a machine shop is not rebuilding it rudy.
patching up a tractor engine also does not qualify as rebuilding.
the black helicopters are circling again rudy..

w2amr
11-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Hello.

Hello NAPA. Could you send over one of those 1500 LB Rottler boring machines ASAP? Be here in 5 minutes? Great. :rofl:

W3MIV
11-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Hello NAPA. Could you send over one of those 1500 LB Rottler boring machines ASAP? Be here in 5 minutes? Great. :rofl:

NAPA no longer stocks that item. You gotta go to Manny, Moe and Jack for that now.

NA4BH
11-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Can you use the modeling clay on APU's? :roll:

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 04:01 PM

Hello.

Somebody caught that! ;)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?viewItems=96&keyword=cylinder+hone
I go as far as pulling the pistons out and honing the cylinders as well as replacing bearings and seals.
Things like heads and the like always go to a machine shop.
I have rebuilt simple carbs before but stopped at fuel injection.
If this is throttle body I send it out as a unit and only if I can not find a good used junker.
I have rebuilt alternators before but now simply send them out.
Again, I look at the junkyard as my first line source of parts.
The goal here is to get things running correctly at the lowest cost.
There is never any effort expended to make things "better", no performance upgrades whatsoever.
Remember I am the guy who goes to junkyards shopping for tires.
I am the guy who will mix and match Collins KWM-2a parts with the Soviet equals to reassemble a radio and than paint it blue.
Rectifier tubes? no, diodes! cheaper.
Whatever is the most cost effective.

kc7jty
11-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Does the Versa have the CVT? Fluid for the CVT is $20 a quart and it takes 5 quarts.

got the 6 speed manual.

w2amr
11-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Can you use the modeling clay on APU's? :roll:or ABNS'S

kb2crk
11-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Hello.

Somebody caught that! ;)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?viewItems=96&keyword=cylinder+hone
I go as far as pulling the pistons out and honing the cylinders as well as replacing bearings and seals.
Things like heads and the like always go to a machine shop.
I have rebuilt simple carbs before but stopped at fuel injection.
If this is throttle body I send it out as a unit and only if I can not find a good used junker.
I have rebuilt alternators before but now simply send them out.
Again, I look at the junkyard as my first line source of parts.
The goal here is to get things running correctly at the lowest cost.
There is never any effort expended to make things "better", no performance upgrades whatsoever.
Remember I am the guy who goes to junkyards shopping for tires.
I am the guy who will mix and match Collins KWM-2a parts with the Soviet equals to reassemble a radio and than paint it blue.
Rectifier tubes? no, diodes! cheaper.
Whatever is the most cost effective.

there is a difference between running and running right.
i buy new tires and yes i check the date code on them before i purchase.
it is cheaper to buy new tires once then to have a used one leave you stranded or have to repair the body damage when one shreds.
fuel injection is easier to deal with than carbs. a parts changer can fix fuel injection.

NQ6U
11-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Can you use the modeling clay on APU's? :roll:

Only on the APUs that come off of helicopters that don't have an APU.

suddenseer
11-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Oh dear amazing Rudy, is there anything you haven't done?I would think some of the things he has done should not be disclosed until the statute of limitations expires.

N2CHX
11-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I would think some of the things he has done should not be disclosed until the statute of limitations expires.

Probably yeah.

NQ6U
11-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Cut Rudy some slack. He don't need no fancy borin' machine or nothin', he rebores engine cylinders with a rattail file and the wooden ruler he got when he graduated from the third grade. He can get 'em to a quarter of an inch or so that way and that's good enough.

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Hello.

Actually running to original specs is fine for me.
Most people who "rebuild" engines try and improve them, something I have no interest in.
And yes, that was my point, throttle body injection is a bolt off, bolt on project, nothing to adjust as the computer takes care of everything.
Yes I look at the date codes on tires I select but see nothing wrong with used mounted tires.
Prior to whatever went wrong with that vehicle most people would not think twice in driving it, used tires and all.
But all of a sudden it is a junk car, and the tires are no good?
At one time I was very picky about tires, bought the best, Firestone 500 radials.
A company car I drove had brand new Firestone 721 tires, and I mean brand new.
The Ford pickup I was driving had Firestone tires on it.
Each and every blowout I have ever had was with nearly new if not new tires.
Now I shop the junkyards. ;)
I Much prefer to drive/operate than to work on that motorized contraption.
With that in mind I think of reliability and cost more than anything else.
The pontiac days are long gone, and that was about as performance as I ever was.

NA4BH
11-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Hello.

Actually running to original specs is fine for me.
Most people who "rebuild" engines try and improve them, something I have no interest in.
And yes, that was my point, throttle body injection is a bolt off, bolt on project, nothing to adjust as the computer takes care of everything.
Yes I look at the date codes on tires I select but see nothing wrong with used mounted tires.
Prior to whatever went wrong with that vehicle most people would not think twice in driving it, used tires and all.
But all of a sudden it is a junk car, and the tires are no good?
At one time I was very picky about tires, bought the best, Firestone 500 radials.
A company car I drove had brand new Firestone 721 tires, and I mean brand new.
The Ford pickup I was driving had Firestone tires on it.
Each and every blowout I have ever had was with nearly new if not new tires.
Now I shop the junkyards. ;)
I Much prefer to drive/operate than to work on that motorized contraption.
With that in mind I think of reliability and cost more than anything else.
The pontiac days are long gone, and that was about as performance as I ever was.

That's just like NASCAR. Let the tires go through a heat cycle, they last longer.

suddenseer
11-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I work in a metrology lab an a well equipped model shop. I would only attempt that on our CNC lathes, or mills. The only thing I have ever done was faced my brake rotors. I took them .005" beyond spec limits to get them to clean up. I noticed the newer vehicle's rotors only have enough stock to face them off one time. I remember facing brake rotors over 20 years ago twice. I can operate a Sunnen hone, and many basic machine tools, but I would leave the boring, and honing cylinder walls, new snap rings, etc to an automotive machine shop. They have specialty machines. We do have a 5 axis milling center that could do a car engine, but I am not allowed to even think about touching that machine.

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I work in a metrology lab an a well equipped model shop. I would only attempt that on our CNC lathes, or mills. The only thing I have ever done was faced my brake rotors. I took them .005" beyond spec limits to get them to clean up. I noticed the newer vehicle's rotors only have enough stock to face them off one time. I remember facing brake rotors over 20 years ago twice. I can operate a Sunnen hone, and many basic machine tools, but I would leave the boring, and honing cylinder walls, new snap rings, etc to an automotive machine shop. They have specialty machines. We do have a 5 axis milling center that could do a car engine, but I am not allowed to even think about touching that machine.

Hello.

There are 2 lines of thought.
One is to try and do everything "In House", working on every part of the automobile to get it "perfect".
The other end says let people who are good at it do the best job.
I sit somewhere in the middle, used factory will work but failing that a there is nothing like a long block. ;)

KG4CGC
11-04-2010, 08:28 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/AHHHRRRGGGHHGG.jpg

w2amr
11-05-2010, 03:43 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/AHHHRRRGGGHHGG.jpgExactly.:roll:

w2amr
11-05-2010, 03:51 AM
Cut Rudy some slack. He don't need no fancy borin' machine or nothin', he rebores engine cylinders with a rattail file and the wooden ruler he got when he graduated from the third grade. He can get 'em to a quarter of an inch or so that way and that's good enough. 1/4" + or - huh?:lol:

w2amr
11-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Hello.

Plastigage? afaik I have never seen one.
Here, live and learn.
http://www.plastigaugeusa.com/how.html

KA5PIU
11-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Hello.

I did look up plastigage but have been doing the old way for so long that I doubt I will change.
But as of late I no longer even try to rebuild engines but select from the number of vendors who can provide me with a complete engine under warranty and even that is becoming rare as engines last much longer before major repairs.

NQ6U
11-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Rudy, Plastigauge has been around for at least forty years now. I used it while assembling engines back in the 70's and it was a well-established technique even then.

KA5PIU
11-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Rudy, Plastigauge has been around for at least forty years now. I used it while assembling engines back in the 70's and it was a well-established technique even then.

Hello.

It may have been around since day one but I was never introduced to it and have never seen it used.

w2amr
11-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Damn right! Grease under your nails is considered a fashion accessory by the better mechanics!So is all the scar tissue.:(

suddenseer
11-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Hello.

It may have been around since day one but I was never introduced to it and have never seen it used.If you don't like that method you can order one of these to measure your engine work. This is what I use when i measure engines, you need to learn solid edge, or solid works CAD software first. http://www.wenzel-cmm.com/wpgroup/200_en/15_products/productlineMythos.php

KA5PIU
11-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Hello.

A micrometer to ten thousands and calipers are what I use.
If the surface is not flat enough I have a problem but that would mean I already have a problem.
Since I will not replace a cam or crankshaft it is pretty much a non issue.

kc7jty
11-06-2010, 01:29 PM
All micrometers measure down to at least ONE thousandth of an inch. Where did you get yours, at the dollar store.

NQ6U
11-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Okay, Rudy, explain to me how you use your micrometer to measure the clearance on crankshaft bearings.

N2CHX
11-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Wow, guys arguing about who has the smallest, daintiest tools. This is a first.

NQ6U
11-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Wow, guys arguing about who has the smallest, daintiest tools. This is a first.

It's the same thing as arguing who has the biggest...hammer, only in reverse.

kb2crk
11-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Okay, Rudy, explain to me how you use your micrometer to measure the clearance on crankshaft bearings.

hello
well first you must crush such micrometer so it fits between said bearings and crankshaft. then you put the impact wrench on it and tighten until the bolts are stretched. then you take it all back apart and shitcan the whole deal because it is fubar.

kb2crk
11-06-2010, 01:36 PM
It's the same thing as arguing who has the biggest...hammer, only in reverse.

i have a 20 lb sledge.... lmao

suddenseer
11-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I thought those micrometers were C clamps. Those dial calipers are fancy torque wrench.

N2CHX
11-06-2010, 01:41 PM
C clamps, sledge hammers, torque wrenches... It all sounds so kinky.

suddenseer
11-06-2010, 01:48 PM
C clamps, sledge hammers, torque wrenches... It all sounds so kinky.Tools, it's a guy thing. You wouldn't understand.

kb2crk
11-06-2010, 01:48 PM
i have a very large torque wrench and multiplier to go with it..........

NQ6U
11-06-2010, 02:28 PM
i have a very large torque wrench and multiplier to go with it..........

You must drive the women crazy! ;)

w2amr
11-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Hello.

If the surface is not flat enough I have a problem but that would mean I already have a problem.
I'll buy that.

KA5PIU
11-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Hello.

1/10k.
And you use the mic as a reference.
I remove the cam or crankshaft and measure the bearings and shaft, this gives me a baseline.
If the bearings look good I do not disturb them.
If the cam or crankshaft needs any machine work I stop there and go for a rebuilt engine.
If the bearings look a little worn I will replace them as a set.
I use a dial caliper and create a baseline measurement from the original and work from there.
This is the same process that would have been used in the 1950 era.
There is no effort to control temp and accuracy is not perfect but this is production quality.
An engine run 5k will have this level of clearance after break-in, not that it matters, the engine will run well and that is what matters.
Remember that the effort is in producing a good repair at the lowest reasonable cost.
I buy junkyard engines and wheels and anything else that is useful.
I like factory radios as they tend to be durable and cheap and think nothing of mixing brands, OEM means nothing to me.
Read the title of this thread.
I do not hate cars but am not all that excited about them.
It runs good and gets me from point A to B and I am happy.
If it sounds like I have an almost I do not care 'tude it is because I really am that way. ;)

And I want a taco.

kb2crk
11-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Hello.

1/10k.
And you use the mic as a reference.
I remove the cam or crankshaft and measure the bearings and shaft, this gives me a baseline.
If the bearings look good I do not disturb them.
If the cam or crankshaft needs any machine work I stop there and go for a rebuilt engine.
If the bearings look a little worn I will replace them as a set.
I use a dial caliper and create a baseline measurement from the original and work from there.
This is the same process that would have been used in the 1950 era.
There is no effort to control temp and accuracy is not perfect but this is production quality.
An engine run 5k will have this level of clearance after break-in, not that it matters, the engine will run well and that is what matters.
Remember that the effort is in producing a good repair at the lowest reasonable cost.
I buy junkyard engines and wheels and anything else that is useful.
I like factory radios as they tend to be durable and cheap and think nothing of mixing brands, OEM means nothing to me.
Read the title of this thread.
I do not hate cars but am not all that excited about them.
It runs good and gets me from point A to B and I am happy.
If it sounds like I have an almost I do not care 'tude it is because I really am that way. ;)

And I want a taco.

how do you check clearances between a machined shaft and a babbitt bearing with a micrometer or a caliper? the tolerance is too tight for a feeler gauge and accessibility is at a minimum so how the hell would you use either of those tools to do the job rudy???? do i have to post pictures of said tools and then of a crank sitting in a main journal so yo can show us? inquiring minds want to know.......

suddenseer
11-06-2010, 07:07 PM
i have a very large torque wrench and multiplier to go with it..........Sounds like a man on a mission.

kb2crk
11-06-2010, 07:13 PM
always on a mission.......lmao

KA5PIU
11-06-2010, 07:42 PM
how do you check clearances between a machined shaft and a babbitt bearing with a micrometer or a caliper? the tolerance is too tight for a feeler gauge and accessibility is at a minimum so how the hell would you use either of those tools to do the job rudy???? do i have to post pictures of said tools and then of a crank sitting in a main journal so yo can show us? inquiring minds want to know.......

Hello.

Think about this for a moment.
You have a half circle with a section of removable metal.
The top of this half circle is flat.
Use a dial micrometer and measure from the center to the edge of the circle.
This assumes that the original bearings were not damaged and that the cam/crankshaft was not damaged.
If they were I simply stop.
This will match the original measurements, the only thing I am after.
Frequently I simply leave the original bearings in if they look good.
I am more concerned about the ring seal and main bearing seals than anything.
If the heads are slightly warped I use thicker gaskets.
But normally I leave the cam and crankshafts in and do a quick hone job and ring replacement and clean up the head(s).
The goal is to get that engine running, and when I am done things like oil burning and loss of power will be addressed.
And again you miss the point, I want this to be done with the least cost or effort.
That is the full extent of an engine rebuild for me, above that it comes in a box or out of another car.

kb2crk
11-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Hello.

Think about this for a moment.
You have a half circle with a section of removable metal.
The top of this half circle is flat.
Use a dial micrometer and measure from the center to the edge of the circle.
This assumes that the original bearings were not damaged and that the cam/crankshaft was not damaged.
If they were I simply stop.
This will match the original measurements, the only thing I am after.
Frequently I simply leave the original bearings in if they look good.
I am more concerned about the ring seal and main bearing seals than anything.
If the heads are slightly warped I use thicker gaskets.
But normally I leave the cam and crankshafts in and do a quick hone job and ring replacement and clean up the head(s).
The goal is to get that engine running, and when I am done things like oil burning and loss of power will be addressed.
And again you miss the point, I want this to be done with the least cost or effort.
That is the full extent of an engine rebuild for me, above that it comes in a box or out of another car.

ok rudy. i still dont understand how you could figure out a clearance by doing that but that could explain why you have better luck with junk yard parts than you do when you rebuild them.

suddenseer
11-06-2010, 08:49 PM
One could measure the OD of the piston, and the ID of the bore. The problem with micrometers, or calipers is that a 2 point diametric measurement does not detect form, or roundness deviation. Most turned, or milled circular features are 3 lobed. In theory one could get acceptable diametric readings, and the piston will not fit in the bore due to roundness deviation. One must consider the cylindricity of said features.

NA4BH
11-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Rudy uses roller bearings at the crank and rod. :roll:

KA5PIU
11-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Hello.

To detect something that is out of round you simply take several measurements from a common central point.
But again, this would show up as irregular wear on the bearing surface.
A plastigage would not normally detect this.
But again I am not going to expend effort on what I see as being a non issue.
I have yet to have trouble with this.