PDA

View Full Version : Stun gun countermeasures.

KA5PIU
11-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Hello.

The TASER has been billed as a "Less Than Lethal" solution.
However there are also firearm rounds billed as less than lethal
http://www.lamperdlesslethal.com/
Some feel that simply by using a different round this will render the weapon safe.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/lessthanlethal-ammo
Yet we have had a security guard state that he was confused and shot someone with a pistol and not a TASER, yet we are expecting someone to be able to keep rounds segregated?
Anyhow, it was decided that if the Republicans or Tea Party take over Texas the schematics and technical drawings of the very much lethal TASER countermeasures device would be published.
This is 100% based on the device that some USA personnel in Iraq were Using on the Civil population.
Again, the device can be used for torture and to stun but really is built to kill.
This was not my decision and I am against this.

Thank you.

ki4itv
11-03-2010, 08:46 AM
My main countermeasure is to maintain a rather large and safe distance from any LEO who looks stressed in any way.

N8YX
11-03-2010, 09:02 AM
If you are doing nothing wrong, Citizen, you have nothing to fear - or to hide.

ki4itv
11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
If you never look like you're doing anything wrong, Citizen, you have nothing to fear - or to hide.
fixed;)

Perception is 9.9/10ths of probable cause.

W3WN
11-03-2010, 10:36 AM
If you are doing nothing wrong, Citizen, you have nothing to fear - or to hide.

I know a pizza shop owner in Mt. Lebanon who would disagree with you.

He was having an argument with a cop in front of his store regarding a disagreement over use of a parking space in front of his shop. The cop ended the argument by zapping the guy with his Taser. Put the guy in the hospital for a few days.

If I recall the newspaper account correctly, this cost the municipality (and it's insurance carrier) several million dollars.

N8YX
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I know a pizza shop owner in Mt. Lebanon who would disagree with you.

He was having an argument with a cop in front of his store regarding a disagreement over use of a parking space in front of his shop. The cop ended the argument by zapping the guy with his Taser. Put the guy in the hospital for a few days.

If I recall the newspaper account correctly, this cost the municipality (and it's insurance carrier) several million dollars.
Guy should show deference to The Man. After all...they're always correct in what they say and do.

W3WN
11-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I don't recall the full story, I'd have to look it up. As I recall, though, the pizza shop owner wasn't in the wrong, he was just getting animated and worked up.

That being said... zapping someone with a heart condition with a Taser because (and only) he won't shut up when he's asked to by a cop is wrong. Cite him for disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct, place him under arrest, all sorts of other options weret availble.

Reaching for the Taser FIRST is way over the line. And I don't care if there was provocation, the cops are supposed to be trained to know better -- and I was told THAT by a Whitehall (PA) cop we know socially (best man at my son's wedding, for one)

w3bny
11-03-2010, 12:49 PM
And what the police tell the public and what they actually do are two different animals! Like in P.G county here in MD. Guy hung himself in his cell with his shoe laces. Too bad no inmate is issues laces or shoes with laces. Lets go to the video...OOPS...seems the recorder in his cell mysteriously went tits up 15 minutes before the "suicide" and came back on after he did the deed.

riiiight.

On edit...

I dont get animated, upset, uptight, or anything with any LEO. Especially if its in the line of duty. All I gotta do is flail arms and say 110Mph..are you crazy..next thing the radio call for crazy meskin with a gun goes out and I get triple tapped to the melon and earn a rusty .38 in my left hand.

N8YX
11-03-2010, 12:52 PM
And what the police tell the public and what they actually do are two different animals! Like in P.G county here in MD. Guy hung himself in his cell with his shoe laces. Too bad no inmate is issues laces or shoes with laces. Lets go to the video...OOPS...seems the recorder in his cell mysteriously went tits up 15 minutes before the "suicide" and came back on after he did the deed.

riiiight.
"When good tune-ups go bad!"

Isolated incident.

w3bny
11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
"When good tune-ups go bad!"

Isolated incident.

in PG county...not really. Folks die in the back seat quite regularly here. And not to mention UMD rt.1 head hockey. Happens every Duke vs. UMD b-ball game.

N8YX
11-03-2010, 12:57 PM
in PG county...not really. Folks die in the back seat quite regularly here. And not to mention UMD rt.1 head hockey. Happens every Duke vs. UMD b-ball game.
That''s the state where the off-duty gangbanger (ooops; I meant 'officer') shot and killed someone for groping his girlfriend outside a night club....right?

w3bny
11-03-2010, 01:01 PM
That''s the state where the off-duty gangbanger (ooops; I meant 'officer') shot and killed someone for groping his girlfriend outside a night club....right?

pretty much...yep

Busted melons..all over MD.

W3WN
11-03-2010, 01:12 PM
In all fairness, the vast majority of these dirty deeds are done by a few rogue police officers. Sadly, too many of their buddies cover for them. They may call it the "thin blue wall" but we should call it what it is: Corruption.

I've been pulled over by off-duty Pittsburgh cops for daring to blow my horn when they've cut me off in traffic or ran a red light when I had the right of way. And never mind that had I not been driving carefully ("defensively" being the PC term), there would have been a collision. Without witnesses (or even with them) who do you think would have gotten the ticket?

You think I argue with them? I keep my mouth shut.

Setting aside some of the other corruption... traffic court is a real nightmare, especially when the local magistrate refers to the officers as "his" cops working for "him," and never mind what the law says on the matter... there's an ongoing matter in the city right now over three cops who beat the hell out of a teenager who was walking down the street one evening.

Their story was that he ignored their orders to stop and had a weapon, or something that looked like it. His story was that they jumped him without warning (I am glossing over the details, obviously) and that he wasn't doing anything. Kid ended up in the hospital, and was pretty banged up; even some of his hair was pulled out of his scalp. Three grown men against one teenager? Oh, I should mention that the kid wasn't a gangbanger, it was his neighborhood, and that he was an honor student at the city's CAPA school for creative and performing arts. The cops are on (paid) suspension right now, and they are refusing to cooperate with the toothless Citizen's Review Board. But their union is sticking up for them.

n2ize
11-03-2010, 03:33 PM
fixed;)

Perception is 9.9/10ths of probable cause.

It's very hard because if you "never look like you are doing anything wrong: then you are suspicious of trying not to look suspicious.

It's like the criteria I heard for looking for suspicious people at airports..

1) If they dress too warm they are probably hiding something.
2) if they don;t dress to warm then they are trying not to look suspicious and therefore are suspicious.
3) If the person shuins crowds they are suspicious
4) if they stay in crowds they are suspicious and are deliberately trying to blend in.
5) If they seem nervous they are suspicious
6) if they appear too calm and relaxed they are suspicious
7) if they appear neither nervous or to calm they are suspicious
8) if they are acting strange they are suspicious
9) If they are normal they are suspicious and deliberately trying to divert attention.
10) walk too fast...suspicious
11) walk too slow... suspicious
12) Walk at medium...normal speed...suspicious.

In short...you can't win.

KA5PIU
11-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Hello.

Since it is out.
The way a lethal stun gun works is quite simple.
There are actually 3 levels of voltage.
The first is the primary voltage and this is the battery voltage that can be anywhere from 6 to 18 volts.
The next voltage generated is anywhere from 100 to 400 volts or more and the final voltage is what you see flashing across the air gap.
This site depicts my thoughts on the subject.
http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Stun-Gun-3/Stun-Gun-3.htm
With a correct stack of diodes one can couple the output of the second stage HV to the output without trouble.
The output HV breaks down resistance than the second stage takes over providing a high enough current level to paralyze the heart and lung muscles.
The ideal frequency for this is around 50 to 60 Hz, the same as line current.
Switches that trigger HV triacs are what control this.
And by splitting the device into 2 parts it can be made very easy to wear.
In fact I have seen it built into a very much standard western belt and buckle and look in no way unusual, even with the belt off!
The average jean jacket can disguise this to the point to where it is "lost" from view even with the jacket removed.
One can be built as a leather tab strapped to a boot.
But in every case they can be very much deadly.
The easiest switch by far is to use the springs from ball point pens and mount the probes to this in such a way that depressing the probes fires the device.
In this manner a quick slap or kick delivers the stun and than holding it causes the death.
Silent with no outward signs of trauma.

WØTKX
11-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Another reason to just stay home. The terrorists have won.

kc7jty
11-04-2010, 12:38 AM
but Obama says we're not going to let the terrorists change the way we live.

WØTKX
11-04-2010, 12:40 AM
http://hotbeans.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/mustache-_0006_ned-flanders.jpg

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 05:54 AM
Hello.

But who are the terrorists?
Something like 70% of all Americans do not trust the police.
Does that mean 70% of America is doing something wrong?
Or is there something wrong with the police?
The Tea Baggers want less government, but why?

kb2crk
11-04-2010, 01:12 PM
an answer to the original question. chainmail would work by channeling the power around the body instead of though it. might be kind of obvious and slow the average person down some..

KA5PIU
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Hello.

Chainmail will work but so will conductive cloth.
And this does not work by channeling around the body but by providing a more direct path of lower resistance than the body.
TASER proof clothing does this by this very means.