PDA

View Full Version : radios....

W2NAP
11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
So anyway im building a new site on localhost. it will be somewhat ham radio related i guess. one thing i decided to do was add radio user manuals, service manuals, schematics, ect ,ect...

never really noticed untill now, but god there is alot of f'n radios that were made.

so far in the manuals downloads i have 261 total... and im not out of the A's yet... i could see that category put the 3,000 to 5,000 limit easy. once i make my way to the Icom,Kenwood, and Yaesu it should be real real fun.

W3WN
11-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Just be wary of copyrights.

For example, some yo-yo bought the rights to the Heathkit manuals, and now threatens to sue anybody who posts a scan of a manual online that he gets wind of.

Don't get your a$$et$ sued off.

kb2vxa
11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
There's a whole lot of Heath stuff on line free for the download so if his lawyer is on the ball they both stand to get awfully rich. Get it while you can before it becomes another RIAA style crusade.

W2NAP
11-01-2010, 04:18 PM
There's a whole lot of Heath stuff on line free for the download so if his lawyer is on the ball they both stand to get awfully rich. Get it while you can before it becomes another RIAA style crusade.

yea. to bad the piss poor RIAA is just making themselves look like a major asses, which i guess is good as it dose push the P2P community into developing newer P2P technology like Anon P2P (which you will prob see soon with what happened to limewire)

Dude who got the heathkit name sounds like one of them assholes who buys a domain name and just squats it, but dont dare grab the .net or .org or he gonna sue you.

W3MIV
11-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey, lookit, scumbag lawyers gotta live too, y'know?

NQ6U
11-01-2010, 07:01 PM

I beg to differ...

n2ize
11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
yea. to bad the piss poor RIAA is just making themselves look like a major asses, which i guess is good as it dose push the P2P community into developing newer P2P technology like Anon P2P (which you will prob see soon with what happened to limewire)

Dude who got the heathkit name sounds like one of them assholes who buys a domain name and just squats it, but dont dare grab the .net or .org or he gonna sue you.

Sadly there is a lot of scum out there that will stoop to any level to get money. Nothing new. One time is was land rights, cattle rights, water rights, etc. These days it's copy-rights, patent-rights, and always some guys or gals willing to assume "rights" and then get some dirt bags to defend those..."rights".

Remember when SCO was gonna sue the pants off Linux users. ? Till the developers said, "take your code and shove it".

KA5PIU
11-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Hello.

The trouble is that Microsoft sold SCO "exclusive" rights to the Unix that they bought a part license from AT&T.
AT&T was required to divest themselves from some functions.
Microsoft sold the rights with the understanding that they would not reenter the Unix market.

N8YX
11-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Hello.

The trouble is that Microsoft sold SCO "exclusive" rights to the Unix that they bought a part license from AT&T.
AT&T was required to divest themselves from some functions.
Microsoft sold the rights with the understanding that they would not reenter the Unix market.
Microsoft didn't sell anyone anything.

They bought "Linux licenses" from SCO.

KA5PIU
11-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Microsoft didn't sell anyone anything.

They bought "Linux licenses" from SCO.

Hello.

Totally incorrect.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix
http://www.zdnet.com/news/fact-and-fiction-in-the-microsoft-sco-relationship/139743
In fact it was in part on the basis of the contract between SCO and microsoft that the federal antitrust suit was filed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft
Finally the federal court had ruled that AT&T gave up rights to Unix and put it in the public domain but allowed that upgrades to some versions to be valid copyright material.

N8YX
11-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Unix/Xenix =! Linux, which has been proven time and again by a number of developers who are familiar with the internals of both - and was the primary reason why SCO's litigation crashed and burned. Microsoft "bought" symbolic licenses from SCO early on in the McBride tenure, ostensibly for purposes of FUD generation. The entire case (from start to finish, including the MS 'license' purchase) was laid out on Groklaw.

W3WN
11-02-2010, 10:33 AM
The UNIX copyright issue is a lot more complicated than can be summed up in a brief post, Cowthief.

And which litigation are you talking about? The one I recall involved the sale of UNIX from AT&T to Novell (remember UnixWare? Nah, neither does anybody else), who in turn eventually sold... well, something, IANAL... to SCO.

Regardless... all I can tell you is that what is left of the old Heath Company sold their Heathkit manual library and copyrights therein to some schmuck who started suing people who had posted scanned manual PDF's online. The Boat Anchor Manual Archive, for one, pulled their Heathkit stuff, at least for awhile.

Whether or not this schmegeggi actually does own the rights to the manuals that have been scanned is something only the lawyers can answer... I just don't want to see anyone else sued over this nonsense.

W3MIV
11-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Whether or not this schmegeggi actually does own the rights to the manuals that have been scanned is something only the lawyers can answer... I just don't want to see anyone else sued over this nonsense.

If he filed and won a single suit that question is answered. If he filed suits without actually owning the copyright, he would be guilty of frivolous law suits and fined accordingly. Safe policy says don't post Heath manuals unless and until you are sure the "schmegegge" (heh, heh, LUV that term) is just a run-of-the-mill goniff trying to scarf a few bucks by threat.

W2NAP
11-02-2010, 06:51 PM
and around and around where dose it end? nobody knows

N7RJD
11-02-2010, 11:09 PM

Why?

N7RJD
11-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Sadly there is a lot of scum out there that will stoop to any level to get money.

Why drag me into this? Years ago I even tried to sell my virginity. Seems they figured me out after I ran the ad for the forth time with a new ending date for
bidding. :rofl::rofl:

w6tmi
11-03-2010, 12:04 AM

Dick Cheney would like a word with you.

W2NAP
11-03-2010, 03:44 AM
lol,

well anyway so far 424 manuals added. still have alot to go. I did manage to get my submit downloads working. So when it opens People will be able to submit manuals

Hope i can have this all done up before the end of the year love to have this opened on New Years Day.

total size of the site atm is 1.1GB