PDA

View Full Version : Candy Bandits

N8GAV
10-31-2010, 07:25 PM
had over 200 trick or treeters tonight. And 10lbs of candy went fast but enjoyed seeing the little guys and gals the 2-6 year olds they were so into it.

NQ6U
10-31-2010, 08:04 PM
Anyone else out there a big fan of carving jack-o-lanterns? I look forward to it every Halloween.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/jack-o-lantern.jpg

W3WN
10-31-2010, 10:41 PM
We had 15. Including Little Miss Field Day & a friend from school who went out together.

Part of the reason was recent news reports that some person has been trying to lure kids into his white mini-van over the last two weeks. There have been about a dozen reported incidents (one of which turned out to be a hoax), one of which happened in another community in LMFD's school district, and two of which happened in neighboring communities.

So the 2 hour trick-or-treat window saw several fire trucks and police cars (all with lights a'blazin') patrolling the local streets every 10 minutes or so.

Most of the groups of kids we see every year never materialized. Even the older kids had their parents trailing them. (LMFD doesn't know that Lucy Furr and I, ah, tailed them. Officially I was walking the dog... at the boss's rather insistent request)

Nothing like a little fear courtesy of a misbehaving adult to ruin a good time for the kids.

VE7DCW
10-31-2010, 10:42 PM
Halloween is getting quieter around here year by year....... the municipality enacted a bylaw outlawing fireworks 2 years ago....the bastards.....taking the fun out of it around here!!! :angry:

W2NAP
11-01-2010, 01:43 AM
didnt see any here.

N2CHX
11-01-2010, 05:53 AM
D handed out all six bags of candy I bought. It was busier here this year than last year. This neighborhood is crazy. Our house doesn't get as much traffic as many around here because we have an empty lot next door and the houses aren't close together at our end anyway, so a lot of kids don't bother coming to this end of the block. 100 feet away at Elm Cross though, there are literally hundreds. The Elm Cross kids go together and three or four of us parents go together with them. I think our group was about 15 this year, even with my son missing (he was at his friend's house in another neighborhood).

NA4BH
11-01-2010, 08:27 AM
We had 596 kids here. I am glad they stopped, we only had 600 pieces of candy. Kinda cut that one close. All the kids said we had the best candy (that makes 5 years running).

WX7P
11-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Our neighborhood is on the good side of the tracks from crappy areas of Rio Linda and Sac County.

There's not a lot of children in this neighborhood, yet last year we had tons of Trick or Treaters, most from out of the area. The ones that I didn't like were older teenage boys who made a minimal effort at dressing up and kicked off this "Trick or Treat, Pal" attitude. Too many of those types, so this year, I moved the cars out of the driveway, shut down the lights and we watched the Giants roll the Rangers. No one even knocked.

BTW, Ron, I see why you were pissed when the Pirates traded Freddy Sanchez. That guy is intense and hustles on every play. I hope the Giants re-sign him. Did see that look on Sanchez' face when Aubrey Huff hit the home run? Priceless.

W3MIV
11-01-2010, 09:56 AM
We may have had fifty or sixty here last night. Lot of candy left. This neighborhood is now over twenty-two years of age. Still a high percentage of the originals, and most are now empty-nesters. Plus, the asshat who used to show up on a big lawn tractor pulling a series of carts -- each loaded with urchins -- from neighborhood to neighborhood, has not made an appearance. I suspect the county cops might have nailed him for pulling all those kids on public streets with an unlicensed (and virtually unlighted) vehicle.

N8YX
11-01-2010, 10:09 AM
There were two or three around my neck of the woods.

Living on the really bad side of the tracks has its advantages.

WX7P
11-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Living on the really bad side of the tracks has its advantages.

I didn't get that impression...

WX7P
11-01-2010, 10:37 AM
We may have had fifty or sixty here last night. Lot of candy left. This neighborhood is now over twenty-two years of age. Still a high percentage of the originals, and most are now empty-nesters. Plus, the asshat who used to show up on a big lawn tractor pulling a series of carts -- each loaded with urchins -- from neighborhood to neighborhood, has not made an appearance. I suspect the county cops might have nailed him for pulling all those kids on public streets with an unlicensed (and virtually unlighted) vehicle.

Maybe he had a few beers before venturing out, so they got him for DUI...

Being the professional crank I tend to be on that kind of thing, I probably would have phoned that clown in.

N8YX
11-01-2010, 10:52 AM
I didn't get that impression...
You shoulda been around on Saturday afternoon/evening - right about the time the trick-or-treaters were cruising the neighborhood.

The bunch which lives one house north of me got into it. Something about "that's MY friend!" and a huge amount of raspy, shrill female screaming. "You're gonna get the cops called!" (...but not by me, sh!t-head - I'm holding out for the meat wagon...) and eventual fisticuffs.

Yesterday afternoon saw the remains of the carnage. In true WWE style, someone picked up a kitchen chair and had broken it over someone else. The chair lay discarded on their front sidewalk.

I stay out of such goings-on. Suffice it to say that it would be in the entire neighborhood's best interest to keep their affairs (and their fights) away from me and mine.

Still, the shenanigans are amusing. Our local gendarmes have a low tolerance for repeat offenders, especially when they're called to the same set of residences for the same set of issues multiple times a week for weeks on end.

Take away from that what you will.

WX7P
11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
You shoulda been around on Saturday afternoon/evening - right about the time the trick-or-treaters were cruising the neighborhood.

The bunch which lives one house north of me got into it. Something about "that's MY friend!" and a huge amount of raspy, shrill female screaming. "You're gonna get the cops called!" (...but not by me, sh!t-head - I'm holding out for the meat wagon...) and eventual fisticuffs.

Yesterday afternoon saw the remains of the carnage. In true WWE style, someone picked up a kitchen chair and had broken it over someone else. The chair lay discarded on their front sidewalk.

I stay out of such goings-on. Suffice it to say that it would be in the entire neighborhood's best interest to keep their affairs (and their fights) away from me and mine.

Still, the shenanigans are amusing. Our local gendarmes have a low tolerance for repeat offenders, especially when they're called to the same set of residences for the same set of issues multiple times a week for weeks on end.

Take away from that what you will.

AAH! Now I remember you telling me about that bunch. I've had neighbors like that before. They usually end up arrested or evicted.

My comment was directed at the overall look of the neighborhood.

N8YX
11-01-2010, 11:26 AM
My comment was directed at the overall look of the neighborhood.
Overall it isn't bad. The problem lies with the fact that every darned house in the area (save mine) is a "gimmee!". Someone's parents or friends are subsidizing the residents' stays, and said residents are free to blow their money on party favors with little fear of being tossed out.

In light of the fact that there have been a number of meth houses popping up around the city, Council passed so-called "Nuisance tenant" laws. That is, you (the landlord) are responsible for who resides in your house and what goes on there (if illegal). The property can be seized if it is deemed a perpetual nuisance.

I try to make my views on substance trafficking well-known to any prospective and new neighbors: Smile, a$$holes - you and your buddies start that stuff up and you (along with your vehicles) WILL be on Candid Camera...be that infrared, visible light, UV, whatever. When confronted with that line, it's simply amazing how some people will suddenly avoid you like the plague.

NA4BH
11-01-2010, 11:28 AM
We had several people bring their 6 month old babies trick or treating. I really wanted to ask them to feed the baby some candy. We also had one kid ask for some candy for his little brother. I asked him where his brother was...... He said, "I don't know"......... My reply, "well, I don't know where his candy is".

WX7P
11-01-2010, 12:08 PM
We had several people bring their 6 month old babies trick or treating.

That's intensely WEAK. Can't afford 85 cents for candy bar, Junior Samples?

Some people should refrain from breeding.

w3bny
11-01-2010, 12:10 PM
I asked him where his brother was...... He said, "I don't know"......... My reply, "well, I don't know where his candy is".

Freeken sweet...

WX7P
11-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Freeken sweet...

No pun intended, of course...

N8GAV
11-01-2010, 12:29 PM
We had 15. Including Little Miss Field Day & a friend from school who went out together.

Part of the reason was recent news reports that some person has been trying to lure kids into his white mini-van over the last two weeks. There have been about a dozen reported incidents (one of which turned out to be a hoax), one of which happened in another community in LMFD's school district, and two of which happened in neighboring communities.

So the 2 hour trick-or-treat window saw several fire trucks and police cars (all with lights a'blazin') patrolling the local streets every 10 minutes or so.

Most of the groups of kids we see every year never materialized. Even the older kids had their parents trailing them. (LMFD doesn't know that Lucy Furr and I, ah, tailed them. Officially I was walking the dog... at the boss's rather insistent request)

Nothing like a little fear courtesy of a misbehaving adult to ruin a good time for the kids.

Police and fire dpt. were patroling here too in fact they stoped by because Bonnie (XYL) always makes popcorn balls so they have to get their 'fix" for the year :) I always sit out side as well as a few others and keep our eyes out for any trouble and the night went paceful. Sad as you say Adults have to ruin a good time for the children.

W3WN
11-01-2010, 01:00 PM
< snip >BTW, Ron, I see why you were pissed when the Pirates traded Freddy Sanchez. That guy is intense and hustles on every play. I hope the Giants re-sign him. Did see that look on Sanchez' face when Aubrey Huff hit the home run? Priceless.
There's a reason why Freddy Sanchez and Jack Wilson were the best double-play combination in the National League if not MLB. The Giants are only now finding out what we knew for years. But they were traded for kibble & bitz for financial reasons... the Pirates ownership didn't want to pay them anything close to what they were worth, and their agents (as is their job) wouldn' let them sign for peanuts.

And Jack has had a bad year due to injuries. I suspect his career doesn't have much longer to go; I hope I'm wrong on that.

But things happen for a reason. Had Freddy stayed with the team, we would never have found out how good Neal Walker was at 2nd base (they'd still be trying to figure out what to do with him, at the wrong position yet, at AAA -- or would have released him outright). Neil is a worthy successor to Freddy.

But we miss Freddy.

And we no longer have a shortstop you can count on.

But we should discuss that in another thread.

Now back to your Halloween Candy thread, already in progress.