PDA

View Full Version : Quitting The Coffee

KG4CGC
10-31-2010, 05:35 AM
Well, I have to say, I wonder what life will be like without it. Stuff keeps me awake 17 hours after drinking it. Two cups and I guess my CNS (central nervous system) is over reacting.

Guess I'm going to waste a lot of daylight today. I haven't been to sleep yet. I have to get some sleep. I'm not one of those who functions without sleep. Not anymore anyway. In high school it was not unusual to stay awake a couple of days and nights and think nothing of it. All the years working second and third shift is not helping I'm sure.

Down to 8 smokes a day though. Bet I could cut that down to 3 without coffee.

W3MIV
10-31-2010, 05:56 AM
I feel your pain. I have some friends who suffer the caffeine blues. Can't walk into a room where there is a coffee pot without losing a few hours sleep. I am the opposite. For years I would have a last cup of coffee before turning in for the night; I no longer drink the stuff all day long, which I did when I was working and there was a big ol' Corey coffee maker through which a Missouri of water was turned into java daily.

Now I am strictly a morning coffee drinker. Got a cup in hand right now as I type this drivel. Sixteen ounce. I brew twelve cups in an auto (set it up the night before) and I make it strong. I was raised on the stuff. As a kid I was always amazed at how lots of parents forbade coffee as though it were cocaine or something. Addiction? Possibly.

ad4mg
10-31-2010, 05:59 AM
Well, I have to say, I wonder what life will be like without it. Stuff keeps me awake 17 hours after drinking it. Two cups and I guess my CNS (central nervous system) is over reacting.

Guess I'm going to waste a lot of daylight today. I haven't been to sleep yet. I have to get some sleep. I'm not one of those who functions without sleep. Not anymore anyway. In high school it was not unusual to stay awake a couple of days and nights and think nothing of it. All the years working second and third shift is not helping I'm sure.

OMG! Life without coffee? :shock:

I guess it affects everyone differently. Until I 'discovered' coffee, I never could get out of bed on time. Nowadays, I wake up at around 4:00 am every day without an alarm clock. I drink pretty much a full pot of coffee by the time I step on the jobsite. It never keeps me awake at night, and I'm never jittery from the caffeine, but I do have a slight coffee 'crash' around 11:00.

Sleep isn't a problem for me, either. It's all I can do to stay up later than 9:00 or 9:30 at night ...

W7XF
10-31-2010, 06:00 AM
MUST...........HAVE........COFFEE!!!!!!

ad4mg
10-31-2010, 06:02 AM
MUST...........HAVE........COFFEE!!!!!!
No chit! I'm like an addict when I wake up!

There is one additional benefit to coffee ... it has the amazing ability to "get things going" in the morning. There are few things in life better than being "regular"!

KG4CGC
10-31-2010, 06:04 AM
I guess I'll need to load up on fiber before bed since there won't be that morning, um, rush after the caffeine hits.

W5GA
10-31-2010, 07:16 AM
Nothing but decaf here, although I don't do the grocery store can. All our coffee comes from coffeebeandirect.com, they sell really good stuff. The family knows to not even talk to me until I have a cup in hand.

N2CHX
10-31-2010, 07:17 AM
Herbal tea here, when I drink caffeine. I rarely drink coffee. Good for you for lettin' go of it Charles.

suddenseer
10-31-2010, 08:29 AM
MUST...........HAVE........COFFEE!!!!!!Whoa to anyone who gets between me & my morning coffee. I am an addict. I will have a severe headache after being up 6 hours without it.

N8YX
10-31-2010, 09:12 AM
One cuppa instant on weekday mornings...20oz mug size, when I get to the office. Then I switch to tea for the remainder.

Might have another mug full with dinner.

Currently on my second mug of the weekend day. I'll switch to tea after this and probably not drink any more coffee until tomorrow morning.

Have gotten to the point that I absolutely cannot stand our cafeteria's brewed coffee. Headache central every time I consume the stuff. :yuck:

kb2crk
10-31-2010, 10:29 AM
quit coffee? not me. gave up the smokes back in the beginning of august and that was easy. i read a book.. now i cant get a good nights sleep without my nightly pot.

n2ize
10-31-2010, 11:08 AM

I have to be careful with coffee. Most of the time I seem to tolerate it okay but, if I have too much I'll get extremely jittery, nervous, unable to relax. I try not to make it too strong and/or I'll use 50% caffeine. The thing is that I like some caffeine but not to the point where it starts giving anxiety...

Speaking of which I wonder whow much longer it will be before Nanny bans caffeine. Nanny has banned almost everything else, so it seems natural that Nanny will eventually ban caffeine. Nanny has banned smoking almost everywhere (you might be able to sneak a quick smoke when nanny isn't looking shhhhh), Nanny won;t even allow terminally ill people in agony to have any pot or too many pills (better your pain and suffering says Nanny) so I guess nanny should have her sights set on alcohol and caffeine too.... Do it for the children Nanny.

NQ6U
10-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Speaking of which I wonder whow much longer it will be before Nanny bans caffeine.

Not gonna happen--they'd have a revolution on their hands. Sure, the revolutionaries would be too jittery to be able to aim their rifles, but still...

w2amr
10-31-2010, 12:00 PM
I've been drinking this stuff for the past year or so.
http://www.amazon.com/Maxwell-House-caffeine-33-Ounce-Plastic/dp/B001EPQTBO

ad4mg
10-31-2010, 12:05 PM
One cuppa instant on weekday mornings...20oz mug size, when I get to the office. Then I switch to tea for the remainder.

Might have another mug full with dinner.

Currently on my second mug of the weekend day. I'll switch to tea after this and probably not drink any more coffee until tomorrow morning.

Have gotten to the point that I absolutely cannot stand our cafeteria's brewed coffee. Headache central every time I consume the stuff. :yuck:

INSTANT?!?!?

My God, would you feed a starving dog a rubber bone? :shock:

My favorite is a medium, premium blend from the Coffee Fool, named "Hawaiian Kona Extra Fancy", but it's quite pricey at $26 per 12 oz of whole bean:

http://www.coffeefool.com/v/vspfiles/templates/CoffeeFool/images/clear1x1.gifNo coffee aroma can compete with Extra Fancy Hawaiian Kona - it'll waft through your entire house. And if you think the aroma is inviting, wait until you taste it. This coffee has a light to medium body with a crisp taste. Expect the best Kona you've ever tasted if you buy this one.http://www.coffeefool.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1020

I treat myself to this 2 or 3 times a year. Otherwise, it's the brand name stuff for convenience, mostly Folgers or Maxwell House.

KA5PIU
10-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Hello.

Tea makes me pee. ;)
Coffee, Turkish or Arabic, cola, whatever it takes.
And yes, around 11ish I need another hit of the java, and I do not mean something from the computer. ;)

KG4CGC
10-31-2010, 01:58 PM
Today was not a cold turkey day. I had half a cup. Let's see how that flies. :)

kc7jty
10-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Absolutely love coffee but can't drink it. Decaf seems to be the same. One 12 oz Coke classic screws me up for 3 days.
I think my meth use late teens caused this. If I eat a small snack before bed I can't get to sleep.

kf0rt
10-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Absolutely love coffee but can't drink it. Decaf seems to be the same. One 12 oz Coke classic screws me up for 3 days.
I think my meth use late teens caused this. If I eat a small snack before bed I can't get to sleep.

That might be a sugar reaction as opposed to caffeine. I've got the same problem (with sugar) and never did meth, thank Jeeebus. I can drink Diet Coke, but if I ingest more than 50-60 grams of carbs in one sitting (easy to do), it messes me up for several hours. Precursor to Type II diabetes.

kc7jty
10-31-2010, 03:06 PM
That might be a sugar reaction as opposed to caffeine. I've got the same problem (with sugar) and never did meth, thank Jeeebus. I can drink Diet Coke, but if I ingest more than 50-60 grams of carbs in one sitting (easy to do), it messes me up for several hours. Precursor to Type II diabetes.

Not sugar. I drink regular caffeine free Coke classic with no problema.

kf0rt
10-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Not sugar. I drink regular caffeine free Coke classic with no problema.

Old age, then? Well hell, maybe it WAS the meth? :dunno:

n2ize
10-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Meth will mess you up for life even if you do it once. I knew a guy who used to do cocaine for years and he could quit for a year or two and he was fine. But then he made the mistake of doing meth just once and whammo... he never felt the same again. There is something in that stuff that messes up brain chemistry. It's not like any other drug.

Some people seem to do coffee and caffeine but they can't do sugar. I can do both provided that the coffee isn;t too strong.

WØTKX
10-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Wonder about my coffee consumption, but I sure like it. 4-6 cups a day all morning... usually via french press using "just ground" beans. Like Luke, I do the good stuff, and currently have a sack of Jamaican Blue, mon!

http://www.jamaicans.com/bm%7Epix/the-worlds-finest-book-review%7Es600x600.jpg

w2amr
10-31-2010, 05:18 PM
I worked shift work in a factory, Drink lots of coffee or die.

NA4BH
10-31-2010, 06:09 PM
I have tasted coffee once. :yuck:

N1LAF
10-31-2010, 06:13 PM
NO COFFEE??? Are you Nutz??

There are upsides to coffee drinking...
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food

Coffee may taste good and get you going in the morning, but what will it do for your health?

A growing body of research shows that coffee drinkers, compared to nondrinkers, are:

* less likely to have type 2 diabetes, Parkinson's disease, and dementia
* have fewer cases of certain cancers, heart rhythm problems, and strokes

“There is certainly much more good news than bad news, in terms of coffee and health,” says Frank Hu, MD, MPH, PhD, nutrition and epidemiology professor at the Harvard School of Public Health.

n2ize
10-31-2010, 07:31 PM
best results. Do a good coffee and do a breakfast. I'm going to do some dinner now.

N8GAV
10-31-2010, 07:35 PM
I was going through 3-4 pots a day now cut that bact to just 1 pot in the AM

w2amr
11-01-2010, 03:29 AM

Coffee may taste good and get you going in the morning, but what will it do for your health?

A growing body of research shows that coffee drinkers, compared to nondrinkers, are:

.Geez, that's almost as bad as being a republican.

PA5COR
11-01-2010, 07:00 AM
1/2 a gallon during the day..

But, if we all start drinking coffee, what do we have left yapping about on 80/75 when we get older?????

Inquiring minds want to know.....;)

“There is certainly much more good news than bad news, in terms of coffee and health,” says Frank Hu, MD, MPH, PhD, nutrition and epidemiology professor at the Harvard School of Public Health.

KA5PIU
11-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Meth will mess you up for life even if you do it once. I knew a guy who used to do cocaine for years and he could quit for a year or two and he was fine. But then he made the mistake of doing meth just once and whammo... he never felt the same again. There is something in that stuff that messes up brain chemistry. It's not like any other drug.

Some people seem to do coffee and caffeine but they can't do sugar. I can do both provided that the coffee isn;t too strong.

Hello.

Since I had trouble with the parents it was decided to try speed with me, dextroamphetamine.
I did not care for it but the "mother" got into it big time.
She could not get speed from the pharmacy, Doc decided it was not working for me, so she took to the streets.
She hit the crystal meth and could never get off, withdrawing from all of society.
When she died she had gained over 90 pounds in 30 days since the last hospital stay.
The only thing she understood was the dope, nothing else mattered.

w3bny
11-01-2010, 12:27 PM

C-C-C-C-C-COCAINE

KG4CGC
11-01-2010, 12:45 PM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/political-pictures-reagan-zombie-1.gif

NA4BH
11-01-2010, 01:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MdJcjl42D0