PDA

View Full Version : Skoal

n2ize
10-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Skoal... how can anyone stand that stuff. My local distributor was out of "Red Man" chew. So I bought a cannister of Skoal Wintergreen. That stuff is horrible. It has no taste. Real chew or plug has a nice sweet rich fruity taste. Sort of like raisins and molasses. Skoal is bitter, salty and tasteless and biting. I threw it out.

NQ6U
10-30-2010, 10:02 PM
I've never been either a smoker or a chewer but someone once gave me a bit of Red Man and, you know, if I was going to use tobacco, that's how I'd do it.

al2n
10-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Never tried a chew I liked. Always made me sick when I tried it.

Cigars, pipes, or nasal snuff are my vice.

WX7P
10-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Skoal... how can anyone stand that stuff. My local distributor was out of "Red Man" chew. So I bought a cannister of Skoal Wintergreen. That stuff is horrible. It has no taste. Real chew or plug has a nice sweet rich fruity taste. Sort of like raisins and molasses. Skoal is bitter, salty and tasteless and biting. I threw it out.

Used to use Copenhagen back in the college days, 30 years ago. Nasty, disgusting habit.

It got so bad, I pretty much had to dip to get my heart beating in the morning. Quitting was even worse. I didn't feel normal for about a year, and I was only 23 when I quit. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

KG4CGC
10-30-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi John, they make a Red Man in the little can like Skoal, and it is sweet too, or salty. Whatever you choose.

KG4CGC
10-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Used to use Copenhagen back in the college days, 30 years ago. Nasty, disgusting habit.

It got so bad, I pretty much had to dip to get my heart beating in the morning. Quitting was even worse. I didn't feel normal for about a year, and I was only 23 when I quit. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Back in high school, there was a group of athletes that for a long time, tried to outdo each other with Cope consumption.

n2ize
10-31-2010, 05:46 AM
When it comes to chewing tobacco I am a very light user. A single pouch of Red Man might last me months. I might chew some one day then not chew any for weeks. And even when i do chew the stuff it;s for 5-10 minutes at most.

n2ize
10-31-2010, 06:04 AM

Back in those days I used to use "Happy Days" mint tobacco. I tried Copenhagan but it was way too strong, burning, and bitter tasting for me. If I left it in my mouth more more than a minute I'd start feeling sick. I wound up throwing it away. Nasty stuff. Nothing like real chew.

They must add nicotine to that stuff. In any event the nicotine content of Cope or Skoal has got to be much higher than for regular leaf chew. I can put a large plug of Red man in my mouth and leave it there and I won;t notice any ill effects. yet I'll start feeling sick from a tiny pinch of Cope after only a minute or so. That stuff is just too bitter and way too strong for me. I can understand how hard it must be to quit if once you get used to it.

n2ize
10-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Hi John, they make a Red Man in the little can like Skoal, and it is sweet too, or salty. Whatever you choose.

Yeah, I know but I've never tried it. Round these parts chewing tobacco isn't very popular. And stores that do carry it don't stock much in the way of variety.

W3MIV
10-31-2010, 06:10 AM
The obligatory scold: :naughty:

KG4CGC
10-31-2010, 06:12 AM
You can extract the nicotine from 2 cans of Cope and have enough of it to kill several people. Or so they tell me. After high school, my friends at Georgia Tech extracted everything in the chem lab. They even made powdered caffeine from a couple of pounds of coffee. Good god that stuff was nasty strong!

n2ize
10-31-2010, 11:13 AM
You can extract the nicotine from 2 cans of Cope and have enough of it to kill several people.

I belive it. The nicotine in one small PINCH of Cope is enough to KILL me. or at least thats how it felt when I tried it.

Or so they tell me. After high school, my friends at Georgia Tech extracted everything in the chem lab. They even made powdered caffeine from a couple of pounds of coffee. Good god that stuff was nasty strong!

Yes, you can extract almost anything with some good lab apparatus, and some know how. Pure caffeine is strong. of course too much can kill. I remember trying a few No-Doz when I was in my last year of HS (those days I would try almost anything)... I didn't sleep for at least two days. That is nasty strong stuff.

W1GUH
11-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I had some fun with No-Doz 'way back when ('61). I'd gotten a little packet from a sample pack my Uncle gave each of us when we visited. The drive home from there (Des Moines to Detroit) was going to be an all-nighter, so sometme in the wee hours I tried sucking on one. (NOT the way to do NO-DOZ!!!) At first there's a nice minty taste, like a mint. But then in a flash it turns into one of the bitterest, nasty tastes ever. I quickly took it out and decided I didn't like them.

So when school got back in session, I gave one to a friend of mine. He'd started sucking on it when I gave it to him, and soon thereafter he was making lots of noise about the AWFUL taste in his mouth. Well, we both learned that you're supposed to SWALLOW, not SUCK!!!

WX7P
11-01-2010, 10:38 AM
So when school got back in session, I gave one to a friend of mine. He'd started sucking on it when I gave it to him, and soon thereafter he was making lots of noise about the AWFUL taste in his mouth. Well, we both learned that you're supposed to SWALLOW, not SUCK!!!

Dios Mio!

NQ6U
11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Well, we both learned that you're supposed to SWALLOW, not SUCK!!!

I wouldn't touch that line with a ten-foot pole. Not even a six-foot Czech.

w3bny
11-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Skoal...lol... enjoyed by all you Rexall types.

Days work FTW!

W1GUH
11-01-2010, 03:12 PM
And then there the baseball players with that huge wad in their cheek up at the plate. Gotta love 'em! Who can forget Lenny Dykstra in the '86 world series? Or even A-rod recently?

n2ize
11-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I don;t understand how anyone could chew Skoal or Cope when Beech Nut, Red Man, Levi Garret, Union Station, Day's O Work, Wrigley's etc are so much better tasting. Chew is supposed to have a nice, rich, fruity taste not a bitter salty burning taste. Skoal tastes like your chewin on parts of a burned automobile....uggghhh.

P

W1GUH
11-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Hey!!!! C'mon...nobody's mentioned the iconic old favorite....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_shgHP-5-o6E/SQJm0dXWLoI/AAAAAAAAASc/SWMIzIbRpeg/s400/mail+pouch+1.JPG

n2ize
11-02-2010, 02:45 AM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_shgHP-5-o6E/SQJm0dXWLoI/AAAAAAAAASc/SWMIzIbRpeg/s400/mail+pouch+1.JPG

Not to mention Lorrilards Climax Plug, Apple Jack, JG Dills...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3327/3224130899_e63dc17ddd.jpg?v=0

W3MIV
11-02-2010, 12:09 PM
When it comes to plug, gimme a Brown's Mule any day of the week. 'Course, I no longer chew, so it's academic.

n2ize
11-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Just curious... do you chew tabackky ?

n2ize
11-02-2010, 04:55 PM
When it comes to plug, gimme a Brown's Mule any day of the week. 'Course, I no longer chew, so it's academic.

Wish I could get a good selection of brands around here. But I'm thankful we have anything at all. I used to chew quite often. These days I limit it to maybe a couple times a week or so. The other issue is that chew is very expensive these days. A pouch of Red Man loose leaf costs close to 6 bucks. A tin of Skoal 5 bucks and change. I remember when i could get the stuff for under a buck. Guess part of it goes to nanny's "sin tax" which is probably not the worst thing in the world.

n2ize
11-02-2010, 04:57 PM
And then there the baseball players with that huge wad in their cheek up at the plate. Gotta love 'em! Who can forget Lenny Dykstra in the '86 world series? Or even A-rod recently?

I used to like to hang a huge plug in there every now and then. These days it's too expensive to stuff in a golf ball sized plug. Gotta go with a pea sized plug nowadays. I don;t make Dykstra's kind of money... LOL

Incidentally, when I think back to baseball and tobacco I think of left hand reliever Sparky Lyle with that huge plug in his mouth. It was his trademark. he used to advertise Levi Garret. I remember one time when the Yanks had to pull a pitcher from the game. Rumor was that he aaccidentallly swallowed the plug and was feelin mighty sick. Last thing you want is to swallow that nicotine plug.

W1GUH
11-03-2010, 07:38 AM
Just curious... do you chew tabackky ?

No...never could take it. That experimentation with Day's Work and Apple 'way back when was enough!

" Last thing you want is to swallow that nicotine plug. "

Yea...that's why it's sometimes disturbing to watch a ball player with a big wad. Always afraid that there'll be a freak play that causes that to happen. Guess, tho', they're all pros & it can't happen.