PDA

View Full Version : Apple make inroads into Microsoft's territory

KØWVM
10-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Not sure what you all think of Kim Komando, but she mentioned in a quick radio blurp that if Microsoft doesn't get it in gear they will be the next IBM.

I have tried their computer's out a little in the stores as well as a co-worker showing me the difference between his Apple laptop and MS ran desktop. Apple seemed to run better...

My hold up is the fact I use a lot of MS products (ie MS office pro & Outlook) the MS version for Apple isn't getting very good reviews due to compatibility issues. Plus their computers are much more expensive which leaves me with MS ran puters as the only choice.

W4RLR
10-28-2010, 10:23 PM
The new Microsoft Office for Mac is supposed to be 100 percent compatible with the Windows version. For example, the Mac version now has Outlook instead of Entourage.

NQ6U
10-28-2010, 10:59 PM
On an interesting and slightly related note, today Apple reported it's financials for the last quarter. It has now passed Microsoft in gross revenue (although not in profit margin, which you would expect since MS sells mostly software).

Funny how, not all that long ago, people were giving up Apple for dead.

WØTKX
10-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Microsoft has got clouds in their eyes.

w6tmi
10-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Probably won't be a serious contender for the desktop until they allow OSX to run on general PC hardware

kf0rt
10-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Probably won't be a serious contender for the desktop until they allow OSX to run on general PC hardware

That would make Ballmer crap his pants.

KG4CGC
10-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Komando's show is crap. Nuff said.

NQ6U
10-29-2010, 07:58 AM

That will never happen. Remember that Apple is a hardware company, not a software company like Microsoft. OS X is what differentiates Apple's products from generic PC hardware. Eliminating that distinction would kill their Mac business.

KC2UGV
10-29-2010, 08:17 AM
On an interesting and slightly related note, today Apple reported it's financials for the last quarter. It has now passed Microsoft in gross revenue (although not in profit margin, which you would expect since MS sells mostly software).

Funny how, not all that long ago, people were giving up Apple for dead.

Apple would have died had Jobs not stepped back in, and turned the company around. While, I harbor not much love for Apple (Due to their proprietary nature), they surely know how to design products people want, as long as they have the right leadership.

Wont happen. The thing that makes Apple so successful is their complete control over the experience. Which is why everything "Just works". They control the hardware and software. It's the same reason Windows and Linux have compatibility issues with hardware and software: Neither control the stack from top to bottom. Oracle is learning this quickly. They now control the hardware, the OS, and the database stacks, which if done right, will quickly prop Oracle into THE database solution, killing MSSQL (And, unfortunately, MySQL).

KA5PIU
10-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Hello.

Yes, Jobs is a critical player in the success of Apple.
Frequently we get way overpriced executives who do little or nothing for the company.
GM was a classic example, several key people simply had to go.
The Dallas Cowboys was another example, Tom Landry was no longer a viable solution to the problem but the way he was cut leaves questions however you or I can expect to be cut in just this manner.
Hardware is now produced where it is cheapest to produce and once China and the rest of the world get their synergy you will see another Apple and another IBM.

n6hcm
10-30-2010, 02:55 AM
The new Microsoft Office for Mac is supposed to be 100 percent compatible with the Windows version. For example, the Mac version now has Outlook instead of Entourage.

right. however, mac users care most about compatability with existing macosx tools, and the new version of office breaks a whole bunch of crap that just started working again after office 2008 for mac broke everything.

the new icons are prettier, though. i haven't given the software a serious workout yet.