PDA

View Full Version : Salmon cakes tonight...

W3MIV
10-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Used to buy either Bumble Bee or Rubenstein canned salmon. Decided to try Costco's house brand, Kirkland. Happy I did. Small cans, seven ounces, and the salmon is quite like faintly pink tuna -- it is a solid, boneless chunk (like white tuna in water) and has no bones or scales or slimy skin and fat.

Two cans salmon, drain and mash with a fork into small chunks...

1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs (or cracker crumbs)...

1/4 cup minced sweet onion...

1/4 cup minced sweet red bell pepper...

Two tablespoons Dukes Mayo...

Two medium or one extra large egg...

Tablespoon minced parsley (fresh is best)...

Tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning...

Two hefty squirts Lea & Perrins W'shire...

Mix well with a fork, breaking the salmon down a bit, but not into shreds and strings. Be gentle. Mix thoroughly.

Add oil to a skillet -- I use a Circulon electric job -- and bring the oil to 350 - 375° F. Form the mush into cakes about four inches round and half- or three-quarters inch thick. Thicker takes longer to fry. Fry to golden or a bit darker -- about six to eight minutes or so per side -- pans vary, so watch 'em and turn 'em when they are brown on the underside. Capisce?

They are good hot. Even better cold the next day. ;)

al2n
10-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Those are a regular on the menu at our house.

I like to use a splash of malt vinegar on mine, the wife likes a bit of lemon.

Serve with rice and a side of fresh greens and you have a fine meal.

kc7jty
10-28-2010, 11:13 PM
You have access to Dukes Mayo!!?? You lucky dog.
This is the best rice on the planet, grown in California:
http://www.haveariceday.com/application/www.haveariceday.com/asset/upload/image/19_480x310.jpg
has a tasty, sweet, fresh nut like flavor.
It's medium grain, and I like it al dente. Hard to stop eating once you start. Best with gravy, but I usually just use butter, tamari, some Tabasco, and fresh ground black pepper.
The salmon cakes sound great. Think I told you the best crab cakes I ever had were at that bar (lousy CCs now) across from the RR near the string of cabooses in Lansdowne, MD.

P.S. Looks like the "cabooses" are gone now. Can't find them on Google maps.

WØTKX
10-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Dukes is a gourmet influence on the Island. Tho I'm still a virgin.

I'm a fan of wasabi mayo, myself. Yumm!

kd8dey
10-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Tomato Soup with Jalapeno slices
grilled cheese (didn't have any gubmint cheese dagnabbit)

W3MIV
10-29-2010, 06:23 AM
I used to have to buy my Dukes in Wilderness, VA, at a Bloom (née Food Lion). Wasn't too bad while I owned a house there. Now, fortunately, there is a Food Lion not too far from me that stocks Dukes on a regular basis. I think Food Lion, like Dukes, is a NC outfit.

W3MIV
10-29-2010, 06:30 AM
The salmon cakes sound great. Think I told you the best crab cakes I ever had were at that bar (lousy CCs now) across from the RR near the string of cabooses in Lansdowne, MD.

P.S. Looks like the "cabooses" are gone now. Can't find them on Google maps.

I know just the place, Bill. I occasionally buy supplies at a gun shop just up Hammonds Ferry Road from that bar. They recently did a major repaving and street-widening through there, and I have not been down there in a while. Next time I am in need of powder, I will check to see if the cabeece have been evacuated.

I also keep meaning to spy out whether or not that rusting GG1 is still parked near Carroll Park on a siding just up the track from the bridge over Gwynns Falls that you admired. When I was a kid in the fifties that siding (about three tracks wide then) held a long lines of clapped out B&O steam locos that were awaiting the torch. Several of them were "Big Sixes."

kf0rt
10-29-2010, 06:36 AM
A clue for y'all: Duke's will ship. :yes:

http://www.dukesmayo.com/shop_online.asp?id=2

We buy the 4-quart packs and they seem to last 8-10 months. A steal at $20, shipped.

kc7jty
10-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Dukes is outta SC. If I could get someone here to go halfsies with me on the 4 qts it would work.

NQ6U
10-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Never even heard of Dukes before. Talk to me.

kc7jty
10-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Dukes mayo is THE BEST! you can buy commercially. Very very good, quality stuff.

kf0rt
10-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Dukes is outta SC. If I could get someone here to go halfsies with me on the 4 qts it would work.

I buy 4 quarts and usually give one away. Seems to work out, but find someone local to give it to; shipping will kill you otherwise. Seriously, for the $20 deal, over half that HAS to be postage. A gallon of mayo is pretty heavy and it comes in a heavy box. If you have to reship any of it, you'll be on the losing end of the deal.

kf0rt
10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Never even heard of Dukes before. Talk to me.

If you like mayo, you need to try this at least once. SRSLY. It's good stuff. I first heard about it here on our fair shores from Tom, WV6Z. Tried it, and there's no going back. You might be able to make better yourself, but for commercially made mayo, this is top-tier.

I used to work with a really pretty top-heavy blond girl whose New Years resolution was to eat her weight in mayonnaise. Gave her a quart of Duke's and she ALMOST kissed me after trying it.

True story. :yes:

NQ6U
10-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Sounds good. Too bad they don't sell it anywhere in California. The closest place is El Paso, TX, which is about ten hours from San Diego.

BTW, here's a page to help find the stuff in stores:

http://www.dukesmayo.com/stores.asp

On Edit: My XYL's business landlord makes regular trips to El Paso to visit his mother and will be going again in a couple of weeks. She's going to ask him to pick up a couple of quarts while he's there.

kc7jty
10-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I looked for it in a Giant in SE PA and they never heard of it.

W3MIV
10-29-2010, 06:36 PM
The Food Lion here that stocks Dukes is a fairly new store. Many of the older FLs here are being rebranded as Bloom. I found out that the grocery manager at the FL here that stocks it used to work in a FL in NC. He added the Dukes to his order list since it was already in the FL system, apparently. He said it is selling well here, and that he thinks some FLs in Southern MD may also be stocking it.

Strangely enough, the Dukes website lists Maryland as a market area, but does not list FL among the stores stocking it. They list Target, of all places, and I am going to have to check that out. They also list Martins, one of which is located close to one of my gun clubs.

A word of caution about buying a lot of stock in a distant store -- have the buyer make sure he or she carefully checks the dates. Nothing would be more heartbreaking than to lean on some poor bastard to go out of his way to buy a few quarts only to find that they won't last long enough to use them. This would not be a worry ordering from the maker, but I have seen many grocery articles stay on the shelf past their expiries. Better safe than...

KG4CGC
10-29-2010, 08:53 PM
You knew this was coming.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/001/c0745706.jpg

kf0rt
10-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Here's the factory-direct link:

http://www.dukesmayo.com/shop_online.asp?id=2

They'll ship to the lower 48, and it is worth it. :)

AA0CX
10-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Haven't been here in a day or two. Oh, My God, these sound just yummilishious! I love salmon loaf, and I've gotta try these!!!!!