PDA

View Full Version : TO W3MIV reference N4NW in his QRZ logbook

KØWVM
10-27-2010, 11:28 PM
Happened to parouse through some QRZ logbooks and came across this one

2006-03-19 12:06:00 W3MIV 80M 0.000 SSB FM19oh Albert J Schramm

Did not know you had made contact with N4NW back in 2006. I know Tom Gregory and lived about a mile from his house in Stafford, Virginia. Also went to high school with his daughter although we only had US government together as it was our senior year back in 1992.

Small world eh?

W3WN
10-28-2010, 09:02 AM
I didn't know that the QRZ logbooks could be perused by anybody.

So much for the illusion of privacy.

WX7P
10-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Funny how that works, Chad.

On the same vein, I was calling CQ on 10 yesterday and K4UUG answered. He used to be N1OBN on the zed and we used to fight constantly and furiously. He's the guy that posted those really disgusting pics of people jumping out of the World Trade Center and calling the Zookster the "C" word, which only earned him a temporary ban. I just assumed the guy lived in a cave somewhere in South Carolina and stored his urine in jars a la Howard Hughes. I had him pegged as a serial asshole.

Damned if he wasn't a nice guy on the air. He remembered me after I gave him my old callsign and ragged on him for his 'zed postings. I COULD NOT believe it. I'm starting to think the internet really sucks ass.

NQ6U
10-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Damned if he wasn't a nice guy on the air. He remembered me after I gave him my old callsign and ragged on him for his 'zed postings. I COULD NOT believe it. I'm starting to think the internet really sucks ass.

It's this at work:

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215499488_8pSZr-L-2.jpg

KØWVM
10-28-2010, 03:52 PM
I didn't know that the QRZ logbooks could be perused by anybody.

So much for the illusion of privacy.

Only the first 5 - 10 or so entries Ron. The rest cannot be seen unless the person who "owns" that log makes the changes in their logbook control panel. I knew the whole privacy thing would not happen going in since it's nice to have a backup to my hardcopy logs. Any plans for the Island to have a logging system like this unless they already do and I am just not seeing it?

NQ6U
10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I don't even use the QRZ logbooks but stuff has shown up on my page there anyhow. Kind of ticks me off, really. In fact, the whole QRZ logbook thing itself ticks me off--it's nothing more than an attempt to hurt eQSL.

KG4CGC
10-28-2010, 04:00 PM
it's nothing more than an attempt to hurt eQSL.
RAAAWRRR! Fred Smash!

W3MIV
10-28-2010, 04:11 PM
I do not object to anyone viewing my logbook. In fact, I encourage it. While the bulk of my logging is now done automatically (rig control and logging with HRD makes it easy to get accurate call, time, frequency and mode entries with the click of die Maus) I did not always do so. I used to log in paper -- using those ubiquitous ARRL spiral bound logs.

I am not embarrassed to admit that sometimes the DX is such that a form of "buck-fever" snaps attention faster than a pheromone -- Peter I Island, for example, when I heard my call come back after calling relentlessly, barefoot, through an incredible pileup. Errors, like shit, happen. For some of us, more errors than shit sometimes. Having anyone vet their calls in my log and point out a potential variation is useful, and I encourage it. I am not much of a QSL collector, but I do prize a reasonable state of accuracy.

Not to press the point too far, but this is ONE area where the internet is really beneficial to us all.

W3MIV
10-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I don't even use the QRZ logbooks but stuff has shown up on my page there anyhow. Kind of ticks me off, really. In fact, the whole QRZ logbook thing itself ticks me off--it's nothing more than an attempt to hurt eQSL.

I use eQSL as a courtesy to those who want it. I have set the logger to upload to eQSL automatically as each entry is logged. Gets it out of the way. To the extent that I endorse the highest degree of integrity on that system, I am registered as "Authenticity Guaranteed." I don't know, however, how valid is their system of verification. I trust that most hams who use it are honest.

I do not particularly value eQSL, however, being an inveterate Logbook of the World user. Fortunately, LoTW is growing fairly well, and it is attracting furriners steadily -- and for them, it is a real PITA. I am not, however, an "award gatherer," as are some folks who chase after DXCC or WAS avidly. I have worked all fifty states, but a few remain unconfirmed -- ironically, DE -- right next door -- is one of them that is unconfirmed on LoTW, though I have QSL cards from DE hams that I could shag along to "the fat guy" who always works cards at hamfests here. I probably have enough in both LoTW and cards to qualify for WAS, but have not bothered with it. I know I am short a few DXCC credits -- I have sixty-eight confirmed on LoTW, and a bunch of cards here that are from entities not confirmed there -- including China and Taiwan. All of these would be "mixed," of course.

I stopped using the Bureau; it became too much of a PITA sending off stamped envelopes only to receive a load of dreck interlarded with SWLs, Now, if anyone wants a real card, they can send direct and I will be happy to oblige, paying full postage -- no greenstamps required.

W3MIV
10-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Happened to parouse through some QRZ logbooks and came across this one

2006-03-19 12:06:00 W3MIV 80M 0.000 SSB FM19oh Albert J Schramm

Did not know you had made contact with N4NW back in 2006. I know Tom Gregory and lived about a mile from his house in Stafford, Virginia. Also went to high school with his daughter although we only had US government together as it was our senior year back in 1992.

Small world eh?

Interesting sidelight on my comments above. I looked up the log entry and find no frequency logged -- only says 80m SSB. That's the kind of tiny detail that now bugs me about my previous attempts at loggging, whether by 'puter or paper. In '06 I was definitely using the 'puter, but I don't now remember what program it might have been. I've tried a bunch, and I've lost logs moving from one to another to another. That's the real value of keeping copies in the clouds. When I was recently having trouble with cloning and replacing a HDD on this computer, the existence of the LoTW files became more important than their mere QSL value.

As it is, I have just under 2,900 entries in my current log. There are still a bunch -- a few hundred at least -- on paper that have not yet been transcribed. Mañana. Maybe. ;)

ki4itv
10-28-2010, 05:59 PM
It's this at work:

The gift.
That's out of this world funny.:lol:

KØWVM
10-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Funny how that works, Chad.

On the same vein, I was calling CQ on 10 yesterday and K4UUG answered. He used to be N1OBN on the zed and we used to fight constantly and furiously. He's the guy that posted those really disgusting pics of people jumping out of the World Trade Center and calling the Zookster the "C" word, which only earned him a temporary ban. I just assumed the guy lived in a cave somewhere in South Carolina and stored his urine in jars a la Howard Hughes. I had him pegged as a serial asshole.

Dave,

It's amazing those you know and who you run across here, qrz or elsewhere that also have some connection with those you know. Internet does things whereas doing things in person are at times two completely different creatures. As they say, what goes on here, qrz or some other internet posting area is not necessarily we should rely upon when dealing with our day to day lives and who we deal with.

On a side note, I had reality smack me square in the face with people I have reunited with after no contact for nearly 20+ years on Facebook. Some people I truly did not get along with back during our Jr. high and high school days. BUT! I have become very close friends with a lot of them nowadays. I figure it's a mix of maturing and real life molding people's character that has made us stop and pause to see we've had/having our own difficulties. It's literally forced me to drop my grudges and bittnerness I have held for all these years against many of them. I went through a lot of emotional pain in dealing with many of them in the past. Some of them physically assaulted me, I said nothing but the scars remained and anytime I had a flashback those wounds would reopen.

Most of that was being mistreated and shunned by some of them who wanted to be a part of the more popular crowd. Thusly it created anger, grudges and unhealthy bitterness for several years for me as I usually became a loner throughout those years. When we did PM's behind the scenes a lot of apologies/forgiveness happened between each other and I had to apologize for holding my bitterness in. We have come to a clear understanding and have pressed on all the better for sharing experiences and realizing what things that have impacted each other have done.

There are some though that do remember/know me and still for some reason refuse to acknowledge that I exist or refuse to acknowledge my PM's. I have only sent only one and see if they would respond but nothing for months now. I have reached out by simply sending a simple "hello and how are you these days" message. For those people I have no explanation but I am moving beyond that petty stupidity they want to continue to display now as they are into their mid 30's and having families of their own. It just might be lots of reasons and thusly I am sure in time things will rectify themselves between us. Time usually does that.

Many of those folks have asked me when I am coming back to visit there in SE Ohio. I told them I really want to but I don't know when that might be...

This is the first time I have actually opened up about my high school years with anyone outside my wife and immediate family. It wasn't necessarily my best one's on this life journey I am on. Something I don't think I could have done on QRZ with posting it. Don't think they really care and as some of the mods I think are truly heartless people and would probably lock the thread.

KØWVM
10-28-2010, 06:56 PM
Interesting sidelight on my comments above. I looked up the log entry and find no frequency logged -- only says 80m SSB. That's the kind of tiny detail that now bugs me about my previous attempts at loggging, whether by 'puter or paper. In '06 I was definitely using the 'puter, but I don't now remember what program it might have been. I've tried a bunch, and I've lost logs moving from one to another to another. That's the real value of keeping copies in the clouds. When I was recently having trouble with cloning and replacing a HDD on this computer, the existence of the LoTW files became more important than their mere QSL value.

As it is, I have just under 2,900 entries in my current log. There are still a bunch -- a few hundred at least -- on paper that have not yet been transcribed. Mañana. Maybe. ;)

All I know is I saw the contact and went, "Wow!" "He chatted with Tom and I am going to have to talk to MIV about this."