PDA

View Full Version : I might be absent for a while...

KC2UGV
10-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Due to a critical event in my life.

I think I may be falling in love with the crystal radio craze as much as my son (Who, BTW, thinks I'm Maguiver. He thought I made the crystal headphone out of a light bulb :lol:)

So, I may go dark for a while due to coil winding, op amp construction, and other assorted tinkering :) Now I know why there are still tons of SWL's out there :yes:

So, now I have a two-fold goal here: Start work on the front-end of my homebrew transceiver (I figure it'll take about 5 years from design to completion), and build a "steampunked" crystal set for both home and office (Brass components, etc).

W1GUH
10-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Crystel Set? Op amp construction?

KG4CGC
10-26-2010, 12:52 PM
21st century crystal radios use op amps.

N8YX
10-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Real Men Of Genius use germanium transistors as audio amplifiers in their crystal sets. They build batteries to power the transistors from discarded pill bottles, lemon juice, copper and lead wire.

I have a sheet-load of NOS small-signal germaniums. Will throw a handful in with the diodes and the -232 if you wish.

NQ6U
10-26-2010, 12:57 PM
As Charles will tell you, real men build their crystal radio sets out of dirt and save the rocks to eat later. Right, Charles?

KC2UGV
10-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Real Men Of Genius use germanium transistors as audio amplifiers in their crystal sets. They build batteries to power the transistors from discarded pill bottles, lemon juice, copper and lead wire.

I have a sheet-load of NOS small-signal germaniums. Will throw a handful in with the diodes and the -232 if you wish.

Sure, just let me know what my tab ends up being before you ship it :lol:

KC2UGV
10-26-2010, 12:58 PM

Yup. This is a "building block" on my way to a fully home brewed transceiver. Trying to "get back to our roots" in ham radio stuff :)

W3MIV
10-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Wish I still had the one I built as a kid in the Scouts. Genuine cat whisker and crystal glued in a tiny cup. We still used the Quaker Oats box, though. Can't stand oatmeal, but the xyl loves the stuff, and I still can't look at a QO box without it bringing up memories of those bakelite USA surplus cans with the two "meter" plugs on the fabric-covered leads. Wish i still had them, too.

Alas, the homestead was sold whilst I was still in my Uncle's employ in Northern Bavaria. Seems everything was given away, not only stuff like that, but also two entire Lionel o-27 trains sets, one American Flyer O-gauge set (from the 1930s!) and a Hallicrafters S38 -- or thrown out. I didn't find out about any of it until I returned to the Land of the Round Doorknob in 1967.

:cry::cry::cry:

W1GUH
10-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Wish I still had the one I built as a kid in the Scouts. Genuine cat whisker and crystal glued in a tiny cup. We still used the Quaker Oats box, though. Can't stand oatmeal, but the xyl loves the stuff, and I still can't look at a QO box without it bringing up memories of those bakelite USA surplus cans with the two "meter" plugs on the fabric-covered leads. Wish i still had them, too.

Alas, the homestead was sold whilst I was still in my Uncle's employ in Northern Bavaria. Seems everything was given away, not only stuff like that, but also two entire Lionel o-27 trains sets, one American Flyer O-gauge set (from the 1930s!) and a Hallicrafters S38 -- or thrown out. I didn't find out about any of it until I returned to the Land of the Round Doorknob in 1967.

:cry::cry::cry:

Ouch!!!! That last paragraph hurts real bad -- almost brings tears to my eyes. Sympathies for that one, Albi.

N2CHX
10-26-2010, 01:22 PM
So you're saying you surf the web and build crystal radio sets at work?

WØTKX
10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I recommend playing with a regenerative and super-regenerative designs soon.

Got your head stuck in a magic (radio) box, time to get busy with your hands... :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMWxa8PwJsA

Recommend the giant underpants for your head gear, Jambi. :snicker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAunpaO6XE0

W3MIV
10-26-2010, 01:25 PM

No, I think he means that, until recently, he only surfed the web at work. ;)

KC2UGV
10-26-2010, 01:26 PM

More or less :) I call it "Mind Exercise", and they seem happy with it. For now :lol:

W3MIV
10-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Ouch!!!! That last paragraph hurts real bad -- almost brings tears to my eyes. Sympathies for that one, Albi.

Yeah, me mum was a tough one; tough as horseshoe nails, in fact. She needed to fit into an apartment, so she just gave most of it away. She was the product of a different time and place, for sure.

KG4CGC
10-26-2010, 03:34 PM
As Charles will tell you, real men build their crystal radio sets out of dirt and save the rocks to eat later. Right, Charles?
There are rocks involved. That's a given.