PDA

View Full Version : Gonna have to see a doctor....

al2n
10-25-2010, 09:07 PM
I hate doctors. But I have little choice.

Been having a pain in my upper abdomen the last few days. Directly below the sternum and to the right a bit sometimes. Thinking my gall bladder is trying to tell me something, but I better go and let the professionals tell me what is going on.

I may get lucky and just be having a bout of indigestion or something like that, but this is pretty localized so I fear that I am slowly turning into an old fart.

Did I say that I hate doctors? To the point of near phobia?

Man I hate this.....

KG4CGC
10-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Get a picture if it's gall stones.

NQ6U
10-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Good luck, Mike. I wouldn't even wish gall bladder trouble on a Republican like you! ;)

NA4BH
10-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Does it flare up after a meal?

kc7jty
10-25-2010, 09:25 PM
I fear that I am slowly turning into an old fart.
welcome to the club, it only gets worse, for one day you'll be sure you are there.

GL with the medical industry, may your encounter with them be only a glance.

K7SGJ
10-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Hope you get to feeling better. Would Gretchen help?

W4GPL
10-25-2010, 09:35 PM
Mike, going thru something very similar myself right now. And I can't tell you how much I hate doctors too. Best wishes and I'll go if you go. :)

al2n
10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Does it flare up after a meal?

For the most part, yes. Lasts for up to 4 hours after eating. Started off as rather severe pain the other day, but now is just a dull lingering pain. Enough to bother me into looking for a doctor.

NA4BH
10-25-2010, 09:38 PM
5 bucks says gall bladder. It is day surgery now. In at 7am out at noon. You will do just fine.

VE7DCW
10-25-2010, 09:52 PM

Been having a pain in my upper abdomen the last few days. Directly below the sternum and to the right a bit sometimes. Thinking my gall bladder is trying to tell me something, but I better go and let the professionals tell me what is going on.

I may get lucky and just be having a bout of indigestion or something like that, but this is pretty localized so I fear that I am slowly turning into an old fart.

Man I hate this.....

Bob ...... if we don't hear about it on 75 meters ....... then it's not really happening! :agree:

KG4CGC
10-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Good Luck and keep us posted.
http://www.gallbladderattack.com/gallbladdersymptoms.shtml

kd8dey
10-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Bad thing about doctors is once they get ahold of you (and your insurance if your lucky enough to afford it) they don't want to let go.
They surgically turned me into a freak during my illness in 07, And now diabetes is slowly affecting my sight for lack of treatment.

VK3ZL
10-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem Mike and I hope it can be diagnosed and fixed right away for a full recovery....

I'm like you, I hate doctors....

Bob..VK3ZL..

N1LAF
10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
Hope you feel better soon

W3WN
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Hang in there Mike.

VE7DCW
10-25-2010, 10:39 PM
.... indeed Mike, I'm hoping it's not serious and everything turns out well!

n2ize
10-26-2010, 04:23 AM

Man I hate this.....

Yeah, I have a fear of doctors, hospitals, examinations, etc. But once I am there I quickly calm down and it doesn't bother me. its more of an anticipation thing. Nobody looks forward to examinations, tests, etc.

N2CHX
10-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Feel better quickly!

N2CHX
10-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Double post

KC2UGV
10-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Man, that sucks Mike. Hope whatever it is is easy, simple, a quick healing (If any), and not too expensive.

suddenseer
10-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Don't let that go Mike. I did, and paid dearly. Damn near killed me.

N2NH
10-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Hope you are feeling better soon Mike. Had diabetes that went untreated for a couple of months and nearly went blind. Don't be afraid of doctors, be afraid of what you don't know.

W5GA
10-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Sorry to hear it Mike, hope all is well.

Could be worse, you could be having to go see a lawyer!

W3WN
10-28-2010, 10:02 AM
Hope you are feeling better soon Mike. Had diabetes that went untreated for a couple of months and nearly went blind. Don't be afraid of doctors, be afraid of what you don't know.
redacted

al2n
10-28-2010, 06:00 PM
I go to see the Doc at 1:30 on Monday.

Pain has been giving way to discomfort the last couple days, but it is still bugging me enough to remind me not to let it go. Will see what the Doc says about it. Hoping I get lucky and just have something simple rather than the pain and expense of something major.

n2ize
10-28-2010, 06:25 PM

Pain has been giving way to discomfort the last couple days, but it is still bugging me enough to remind me not to let it go. Will see what the Doc says about it. Hoping I get lucky and just have something simple rather than the pain and expense of something major.

It could be indigestion... which can cause all sorts of bizarre sensations and pains. I remember once day in college a professor had to be taken from the classroom and was rushed to the hospital for what was thought to be a heart ailment. Turned out it was indigestion.

In any event I wish you luck. I am sure you'll be okay. But definately let them check it out.

NQ6U
10-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Once again, Mike, good luck.

KC2UGV
10-28-2010, 07:43 PM
Glad to hear the pain is easing. Still hope it's nothing, but glad to hear you're getting it checked out.

al2n
11-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Well I survived my visit to the doc. New doc, pretty cute.

She suggested that I may be suffering from some kind of reflux or more likely a build up of stomach acid and that my esophagus is fighting to keep it down. Gave me some super strength acid reducer and we will see if it helps out. I have been out of pain since Friday, so she is not betting on the gall bladder just yet. She wants to start cheap and then move on to the expensive stuff only if needed. She also suggested that all the stress I have been under lately may be a factor.

Going to schedule an upper GI test as well as a full lab report on my blood to cover those bases.

KJ3N
11-01-2010, 09:05 PM
She also suggested that all the stress I have been under lately may be a factor.

"Blücher!!"

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/fraubluckerxn3.jpg

:rofl:

Seriously, though, hope you feel better.

kc7jty
11-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Took Tagamet (over the counter now) for bad heartburn that bothered me for weeks when I was under a lot of stress years ago. Cleared it right up.
GL.

suddenseer
11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I take Protonix, or Nexium. Those 2 are the only ones that work for me, or i am bleeding internally. Funny you mention doctors. I have to go back to the oncologist this week. I have that post 6 month screening. I am a bit nervous, but I know I will be ok.

K7SGJ
11-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Well I survived my visit to the doc. New doc, pretty cute.

She suggested that I may be suffering from some kind of reflux or more likely a build up of stomach acid and that my esophagus is fighting to keep it down. Gave me some super strength acid reducer and we will see if it helps out. I have been out of pain since Friday, so she is not betting on the gall bladder just yet. She wants to start cheap and then move on to the expensive stuff only if needed. She also suggested that all the stress I have been under lately may be a factor.

Going to schedule an upper GI test as well as a full lab report on my blood to cover those bases.

It is good you like the new qwack. It goes a long way toward quickly building a solid doctor-patient relationship. Lotsa trust and confidence is good too. I am glad you are being proavtive and that thus far it looks like a quick fix/manage/monitor. Hope it continues on this road to total recovery. best-o-luck

NQ6U
11-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Glad to hear that that's all it is, Mike. Now we can go back to arguing politics! ;)

n2ize
11-02-2010, 02:26 AM
When you get the bill from the doctor that will give almost anyone indigestion. :)

al2n
11-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Glad to hear that that's all it is, Mike. Now we can go back to arguing politics! ;)

Sorry, I am taking a few weeks off from the political forum.

al2n
11-02-2010, 06:17 PM
When you get the bill from the doctor that will give almost anyone indigestion. :)

Just a 35 dollar co-pay for doc visits with my insurance.

kf0rt
11-02-2010, 06:37 PM

You're a wise huck, Mike.

For stomach pills, I've used the generic Prilosec stuff. Seems to work. Should we start a ham health forum? We could call it "75 meters" and it's never been done before. ;)

al2n
11-02-2010, 06:49 PM
The samples the doc gave me are Dexilant. Never heard of it before. Started taking it today so we will see if that does the trick.

KC2UGV
11-03-2010, 09:39 AM

Good idea :)

But, I'm glad to hear your Doc isn't betting on anything serious. Good news, if it's the gall bladder, it's not life-threatening unless you let it sit too long, and you're all on top of it.