PDA

View Full Version : The SSTVers are really torqued today.

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 02:50 PM
A25MB on 14.222, listening 5-10 up. The jamming of the DX is comical. :lol:

W3WN
10-25-2010, 03:14 PM
And I'll betcha anything the frequency was more or less clear when he started, and IF he asked if the frequency was in use, nobody replied.

Frakin' turf wars.

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 03:17 PM
And I'll betcha anything the frequency was more or less clear when he started, and IF he asked if the frequency was in use, nobody replied.

Frakin' turf wars.

The really sad part is that these dummies don't seem to understand that if they jam the pile-up / DX, it only prolongs the pain; it doesn't stop it. :roll: :wall:

W3WN
10-25-2010, 03:30 PM
During the Pa QSO Party, there was a station on 75 SSB from a county I needed to work. Had a nice pile-up going that he was quickly & efficiently working through -- until the jamming started.

After a few comments from a loud signal that did not identify, the station was informed that HE was interferring with a QSO in progress and that he was in the AM Window. Which was a reserved frequency (didn't you know that?). Oh, and there were PLENTY of open frequencies to use, so "please" (not said very nicely) vacate this one.

The county station apologized and disappeared. And I never worked him (although I got someone else from that county later).

No other QSO on that frequency was heard, including an alleged AM signal. Although it's possible that I couldn't hear it due to propagation shifts.

Someone also tried that shnike on me that same evening. I was on 3794 ... yes, in the "DX Window" but I asked several times if the frequency was in use, never heard a thing... when some yo-you ordered me to move & then started calling CQ DX 2 kc above me, then accused ME of interferring with him. I had a few choice words for him. First I worked through the pile-up (hard to believe I had one, but that's beside the point) after saying I was going to go to CW at the top of the hour or the end of the calls, whichever came last.

When I was done, I told him a few words on delilberate interference, on sharing the frequency, on respect, and telling him that if had simply ASKED me to move, not jammed me and interferred with me in violation of Part 97, I would have gladly done so.

Jacka$$ sent me an email overnight (I still have it) with a half-a$$ed apology followed by a rant on how he was right, I was wrong, and didn't I know that we "only" have 10 kHz to work DX?

Some people couldn't find their anal oriface if you put both of their hands on the cheeks of their gluetus maximus and told them to bring their fingers together.

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I would have been a little upset myself, Ron. I spent a lot of time in the 75m DX window.

That being said, I think a polite and gentle reminder of the DX window is all that was needed. Apparently your antagonist doesn't have that much tact.

NQ6U
10-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Instruct this relative noob here: You aren't supposed to call CQ DX in the DX window? If not, what's it's purpose? Not criticizing anyone here, just looking for the skinny.

N8YX
10-25-2010, 04:03 PM
IBT3LA (In Before The 3-Land Apologista).

...puff...puff..."Well, you youngsters (no-code, non-FCC-examined Extra Class wonders) should by golly well know to stay away from the SSTV allocation...puff puff...regardless of the FCC's position on the matter because it's a damn GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT!!!"

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Instruct this relative noob here: You aren't supposed to call CQ DX in the DX window? If not, what's it's purpose? Not criticizing anyone here, just looking for the skinny.

It's considered "bad form" to have domestic Qs in the 75m DX window (approx. 3.785 to 3.800). Nothing absolutely wrong with it, just not very welcome. If you're working the PA QSO Party, that's typically considered domestic operation.

Everywhere else in the world, the 75m band stops at 3.800, so that's were the DX tends to gather. It's pretty hard to hear a station in Australia or Japan underneath a domestic NA QSO.

With the expansion of the SSB section down to 3.600, there's even less of a reason to carry on domestic Qs there, IMO.

NQ6U
10-25-2010, 04:16 PM
Okay, so it's for DX stations to call CQ, not for domestic stations to call for a DX QSO then? Got it, and thanks.

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Okay, so it's for DX stations to call CQ, not for domestic stations to call for a DX QSO then? Got it, and thanks.

No, it's fine for NA stations to call CQ DX in the window. It's not considered OK to just call CQ and then start carrying on a domestic QSO between 2 NA (or USA, if you prefer) stations.

NQ6U
10-25-2010, 04:21 PM
No, it's fine for NA stations to call CQ DX in the window. It's not considered OK to just call CQ and then start carrying on a domestic QSO between 2 NA (or USA, if you prefer) stations.

But isn't that what Ron said he was doing, and what you said would have upset you a little? Now I'm really confused. Glad I've never done anything but listen on that segment of the band.

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
But isn't that what Ron said he was doing, and what you said would have upset you a little? Now I'm really confused. Glad I've never done anything but listen on that segment of the band.

Ron was working the PA QSO Party. That would probably be considered domestic operation, not DX. I don't believe that Ron was calling CQ DX, but I could be wrong.

I'll grant you it's a subtle difference.

NQ6U
10-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Ron was working the PA QSO Party. That would probably be considered domestic operation, not DX. I don't believe that Ron was calling CQ DX, but I could be wrong.

I'll grant you it's a subtle difference.

Okay, I checked--you're correct. I misread his post; I thought he said that he was calling CQ DX but that wasn't the case.

Bad Ron--bad! ;)

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 04:38 PM
Okay, I checked--you're correct. I misread his post; I thought he said that he was calling CQ DX but that wasn't the case.

Bad Ron--bad! ;)

Ron, at best, made a faux pas. The asshole who proceeded to yell and scream at him, QRM him, and then send a nasty email, was out of line.

suddenseer
10-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I think AM'ers should retake 75M.:stirpot:

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 05:07 PM
I think AM'ers should retake 75M.:stirpot:

They can have anything they want .......... above 3.800..... :rofl:

suddenseer
10-25-2010, 05:15 PM
The whole phone portion....give ssb/digital 20 khz.

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 05:16 PM
The whole phone portion....give ssb/digital 20 khz.

:lame:

KA5PIU
10-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Hello.

I run 160 and 10 almost as an exclusive.
Very few can even get on 160 leave alone give me a hard time.
10 is so wide in relation to the other HF bands that it does not really matter.
And yes, a "Calling frequency" is normally vacated (QSY) once the conversation starts (QSO).
But it is all about being social if not friendly.
I always have a plan for moving, for whatever reason, I am very well versed in countermeasures.
Anti-jam exercises, nothing more. ;)

suddenseer
10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
:lame:The last time i listened in, there was so much qrming they sounded like cbers. Make it AM at least there will be lots of hetrodyne it will sound exactly like da superbowl, or channel 19. When my wire was up, i rarely ventured above 3.550

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 05:38 PM
The last time i listened in, there was so much qrming they sounded like cbers. Make it AM at least there will be lots of hetrodyne it will sound exactly like da superbowl, or channel 19. When my wire was up, i rarely ventured above 3.550

I always hear these stories, but I can never confirm them. Must be because I stay below 3.800. :chin:

suddenseer
10-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I always hear these stories, but I can never confirm them. Must be because I stay below 3.800. :chin:Ifn I get my wire back up (I need to borrow a crossbow) And Iffn I can find my mic, I will have to do a sked with you & Fred. I did hear that stuff. I used to check into the BBC about 3950 mostly because the very first 20M contact I made many moons ago convinced me to check in. i came home early one night and turned on the rig. I was curious as to what went on there before 04:00 E. I could not believe what my radio was saying.

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 06:05 PM
I did hear that stuff.

Not saying you didn't.

I used to check into the BBC about ->3950<- mostly because the very first 20M contact I made many moons ago convinced me to check in. i came home early one night and turned on the rig. I was curious as to what went on there before 04:00 E. I could not believe what my radio was saying.

And this is what I'm pointing out to you. Not one of these stories ever seems to involve a frequency lower than 3.800. :whistle:

suddenseer
10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
So ya never go above 3.800? I just did not do alot of ssb. I would go chat up local club members, esp if they just upgraded to general. I would also sked with the occasional upgrade candidate when I was a VE. It was hard to find civil ops in the general portion of the band. I have not been on that band since they added phone spectrum. When did they do that?

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 06:44 PM
So ya never go above 3.800?

Only when some of the Islanders insist on not upgrading. :stirpot: Makes me feel dirty, but I like you guys.

I have not been on that band since they added phone spectrum. When did they do that?

February 23, 2007. Same day they eliminated the CW requirement. Advanced phone now extends to 3.700 and Extra phone extends to 3.600.

Ya need to crawl out from under yer rock once in a while. :stickpoke:

VE7MGF
10-25-2010, 07:11 PM
gee wiz i use 3500 to 4000 for am
you guy's down south are soo hard done by;)

W3WN
10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
The DX window (and AM window and SSTV window and PSK31 window etc. & so forth ad infinitum ad nauseum) is a "gentleman's agreement" and a courtesy. It is not law, it is not carved in stone by a chisel that is controlled by a burning bush with fire and brimstone and thunder. (Not even if Mel Brooks is there in a white beard holding three tablets)

The frequency was not in use; I asked. I was only there for about 15 minutes. And I was not causing QRM.

The irony is that according to the DX cluster, as I recall, there was plenty of SSB DX activity further down the band, as the Scandanavian Activity Contest had moved it's phone weekend back 2 weeks. If the jack@$$ had simply scanned the ban, he would have found plenty of DX.

Frankly, the location of the DX window on 75 became obsolete when the phone band was expanded down to 3600 kc, and if it is still needed, it should be moved.

The issue was not that the jack@$$ called CQ DX. It was that he deliberately chose a frequency 1 kc above me to try and drive me off, rather than simply ask me to move. He assumed that I wouldn't be courteous, so he chose to be rude... and violate FCC rules regarding deliberate interference.

W3WN
10-25-2010, 07:36 PM

Bad Ron--bad! ;)
Well, I will admit that I wasn't paying attention to the specific frequency; I was not thinking of the DX Window at the time. I'm more a CW op these days anyway.

What had happened is that I saw a spot for a county I needed, and right after I worked him, the station told me he was taking a break and offered me the frequency. (That is considered normal practice in Pa QSO, BTW; I know it's unheard of in most other contests)

So I will accept 1 lash with a wet noodle for wandering into the window. And had I simply been reminded, I would have immediately moved. All he had to do was ask me nicely.

But my small faux paus does not justify his name calling, jamming, throwing a carrier, sending a string of dits on top of me, and finally calling CQ DX 1 kc above me.

I made an inadvertent error in procedure & good operating practice. He violated Part 97. There's a big difference.

NQ6U
10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Well, I will admit that I wasn't paying attention to the specific frequency; I was not thinking of the DX Window at the time. [...] I made an inadvertent error in procedure & good operating practice. He violated Part 97. There's a big difference.

RR on that, OM. I'm with you 100%.

KJ3N
10-25-2010, 10:05 PM
But my small faux paus does not justify his name calling, jamming, throwing a carrier, sending a string of dits on top of me, and finally calling CQ DX 1 kc above me.

No, it does not. He's an asshole.

I made an inadvertent error in procedure & good operating practice. He violated Part 97. There's a big difference.

:agree:

KC2UGV
10-26-2010, 08:24 AM
I made an inadvertent error in procedure & good operating practice.

A sure fire sign of a fine ham operator. You admitted a mistake :) +1000 internets to you, good sir.

n2ize
10-26-2010, 03:03 PM

I just scan for a quiet freq where my privileges allow me to operate. I throw the toggle switch, the Dow keys clack and I ask if the freq is in use. If no response after several queries I might drop a CQ... with full carrier 100% modulated AM. Not sure if I ever wound up in a so called "DX Winder" but never had a problem. I've always found the best approach is to first listen, and, then ask. Courtesy and careful listening always seems to work well. Listening includes not just phone but anything using the freq.

KG4CGC
10-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Charts! I needs charts!

http://w5ias.com/icom.pdf

Yeppers, PDF.

kf0rt
10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
That chart's way outta date. :(

KG4CGC
10-26-2010, 04:27 PM
That chart's way outta date. :(
Sorry. Know where an up to date one is?

ETA: Another one that does not include 60m.
http://www.arrl.org/band-plan-1

kf0rt
10-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Here's the ARRL chart, but it doesn't have the gentleman's agreements on it:
http://www.arrl.org/graphical-frequency-allocations

kf0rt
10-26-2010, 04:31 PM
And here (the courtesy stuff):

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/conop.pdf

KG4CGC
10-26-2010, 04:32 PM
THANK you :)