PDA

View Full Version : Skyline - Independence day meets V

KØWVM
10-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Who is going to go and watch this movie for curiosity sake. I myself might go but may wait to see if it's worth the money.

NQ6U
10-25-2010, 01:18 PM
I know nothing about the movie of which you speak but since I didn't care for either Independence Day or V, I'll have to thank you for warning me off.

Here's the capsule review of Independence Day I wrote for Netflix:

"Hey, I've got it! I'll write a computer virus that runs under a completely unknown operating system written by an extraterrestrial intelligence I know nothing about and which, in turn, runs on an alien hardware technology I've never even seen. Then, when I'm done, I'll just hook my laptop up to that alien hardware (which, conveniently, just happens have compatible I/O hardware) and upload to it! Give me a couple of hours..." Oh, yeah, for sure...

W3WN
10-25-2010, 02:28 PM
But he used a Mac! Don't you believe in his holiness Steve Jobs?

NQ6U
10-25-2010, 04:38 PM
But he used a Mac! Don't you believe in his holiness Steve Jobs?

Independence Day was released in 1996--before the Second Coming of Steve. Back then, Macs had only a RS-422 serial port that wasn't even directly compatible with the slower RS-232 port on a PC let alone alien hardware.

W5GA
10-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Didn't you know....serial ports are "universal". As such, it's the only thing the aliens COULD have developed.

suddenseer
10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
It was a good reason to keep the code requirement! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.:lol::evil:
hey if repubs can use the tv show 24 as a good example of allowing torture......

kb2vxa
10-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Independence Day meets V... where the computer eats the mouse!

KØWVM
10-25-2010, 07:16 PM
I know nothing about the movie of which you speak but since I didn't care for either Independence Day or V, I'll have to thank you for warning me off.

Here's the capsule review of Independence Day I wrote for Netflix:

You can see the preview on Yahoo video or even Youtube I believe to seal the deal of probably not going,

Actually this looks to me a combining of ID, V, Close Encounters and the recent remake of War of the Worlds all wrapped up into one movie.

W7XF
10-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Didn't you know....serial ports are "universal". As such, it's the only thing the aliens COULD have developed.

Hell, even I have a universal cereal port :stirpot:

KA5PIU
10-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Independence Day was released in 1996--before the Second Coming of Steve. Back then, Macs had only a RS-422 serial port that wasn't even directly compatible with the slower RS-232 port on a PC let alone alien hardware.

Hello.

Even the very first Mac has a RS-422/RS-232 port.
You simply need to go from the mini-DIN connector to a DB-9 connector.
Adding five 22 ohm resistors will greatly help range as RS-422 is rated for well over 3000 feet and RS-232 is doing good with 50 feet.

W3WN
10-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Hey, if Jeff Goldblum can survive dinosaurs, he can figure out how to hook a laptop up to the computer network of an alien space ship.

The man IS from Pittsburgh, you know...

W4RLR
10-26-2010, 08:28 PM
It was a good reason to keep the code requirement! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.:lol::evil:
hey if repubs can use the tv show 24 as a good example of allowing torture......You laugh, but many hams made comments to the FCC saying the code should be retained in case of attack by a foreign or even alien power....

KA5PIU
10-26-2010, 09:55 PM
Hello.

Speaking drum code!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talking_drum
To do this correctly you need 2 carrier frequencies and there are several ways of doing this.
One way is with 2 master oscillators in common with a buffer circuit and just key one as needed.
The other and far more common is to use FSKing.
This is nothing more than an adaptation of a means of communications that by far predates Morse code however it might as well be encryption.
And that is here on earth. ;)