PDA

View Full Version : WSPR -- Anybody interested?

W3MIV
10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Did any of you see the article on WSPR in the November issue of QST?

Now before any of you succumb to vapors over seeing a reference to the ARRL, let me point out that the WSPR program is not a League function, but one being carried out by a group from Princeton.

WSPR = Weak Signal Propagation Reporting, which seems just the sort of thing we need given the probable state of the Sun for some time to come.

I plan to re-read the article more carefully and look into downloading the software. Given that we cannot operate the type of transmission called for unattended, taking part in the program may require more of a time commitment than I can now afford to make.

So, philanthropists that I know lurk here on these fora, what say ye? Anybody out there interested in doing something for the betterment of our Service (that always wows 'em when some ham talks of "The Service" -- as though we really are!)?

NQ6U
10-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes, I've even played with the software a bit. Pay careful attention to the instructions because it's really easy to make transmissions in places where you shouldn't. Ask me how I know this.

W3MIV
10-20-2010, 11:47 AM
:hand: I fear asking.

KC2UGV
10-20-2010, 12:48 PM
I didn't see the QST article, but I've been looking into it. One reason I'm hunting for my next piece of gear (SDR radio).

ki4itv
10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes, I've even played with the software a bit. Pay careful attention to the instructions because it's really easy to make transmissions in places where you shouldn't. Ask me how I know this.

I suffered that too. Especially when trying to choose the even or odd transmission interval. Seemed somewhat counter intuitive to me, depending on which minutes the other op was transmitting.
You should also make sure your computers clock is dead on every time you fire the program up for an new session. If it's off at all, it can be a great source of frustration.

N8YX
10-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Got the issue - have yet to read that particular article. Will do so this weekend.

KJ4FEL
01-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old message threat but...

Got to talking online with some other hams on another forum... no not that one :-) and got interested in WSPR last night.

Downloaded it to my desktop running Windows XP and couldn't get it to run. Kept getting run time errors and the program would close. Loaded it onto my laptop running Windows 7 this afternoon and it's running fine. Here's a couple of screen shots. The first one shows the list of stations that I received...

This second shot is the map showing the stations that heard me...

It seems like this is going to be something fun to play around with.

Thanks for letting me share :)

KC9ECI
01-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Give JT-65 a try.

Software: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jt65-hf/
PSK Reporter that will show you who's hearing your signal: http://pskreporter.info/pskmap.html
Andy, K3UK's Bozo's Guide to get you up and running: http://www.zs2ez.co.za/WSJT/jt65a%20bozo%27s%20gude.pdf

I'll be up to my neck in RTTY this weekend, but will be going back to JT-65 after Sunday when I'm not trying to work the K3Y stations.

KC9ECI
01-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Oh yes, timing is important to these modes, you need to make sure your system clock is synced. Simple enough to do with WWV, but this is the popular software amongst the JT65 crowd for syncing your computers clock: http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

N8YX
01-06-2012, 06:53 PM
I recently got a Signalink USB interface for the '940 - might have to revisit this subject and load the software onto one of the shack's rig-control computers.

Hopefully it'll function in XP/SP3, as a wholescale Windows 7 upgrade is a ways off.

KC9ECI
01-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Works fine on my XP system with a SignalinkUSB.

ad4mg
01-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Hope you don't mind me resurrecting an old message threat but...
Nope, not at all!

Thanks for letting me share :)
Hey, thanks for sharing! That's why we're here!