PDA

View Full Version : Topaz DC supplies...anyone ever hear of them?

W1GUH
10-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Bought one in Wallingford a couple of weeks ago. It was labeled "KWM-2 Power Supply" and has all the usual voltages for that class of transceiver. I've asked about it over on the 'zed and as of now nobody's replied about it. I was sure at least one of the Collins fans over there would have.

It's very compact and extremely well-built. I'll take some pictures over the weekend. So far I've only managed to get the top cover off, and it doesn't come off very far 'cuz it's wired into the guts. And while the side label says it has variable bias, I've so far not found anything that looks like a bias adjustment control.

It looks built to almost military standards. The wires from the guts to the connector are very well laced, so about now I'm guessing that it was probably priced like it was gold-plated, hence the "KWM-2 Power Supply" that's written on the side. Maybe that's why they're so rare? I think I remember seeing them once or twice in QST ads...I'll have to look through some of my handbooks to see if I can find anything. So far, google-fu has failed me. I see references to Topaz supplies, but nothing near what this is. The fun of the stuff you can find at hamfests!

And isn't it ironic? One week I get that and that'll get the TR-3 going in the car for mobile AM...the very next week I get the Multi-Elmac to get plate-modulated-AM in the car. Yikes!

n2ize
10-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Heck, we'll have to work some AM. I've got to get my new antenna up soon. I've ordered the open wire line. I hope your mobile will STRAAAAAAP !

W1GUH
10-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Heck, we'll have to work some AM. I've got to get my new antenna up soon. I've ordered the open wire line. I hope your mobile will STRAAAAAAP !

It will if I park in your driveway or in the street in front of your house!

n2ize
10-19-2010, 05:07 PM
It will if I park in your driveway or in the street in front of your house!

Well, it depends on the band and the time of day.

W1GUH
10-20-2010, 02:05 AM
Well, if 75's dead, we can try 160. I got a hamstick for that band up in Deerfield. All of 12 kc wide....but.....mobile plate modulated AM on 160? Should be fun1

kb2vxa
10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm just a piss weak little mobile,
I've got those piss weak mobile blues.
My mobile rig's so yellowy,
I can't even blow a fuse.

I call CQ to my YL
So we could take a ride
She couldn't hear my signal
And I was sitting just outside.

I'm just a piss weak little mobile,
I've got those piss weak mobile blues.