PDA

View Full Version : SDR Reciever (Or transciever)

KC2UGV
10-18-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm looking for a good SDR rig for a person just getting into SDR. There was one company that has a USB sized single-band unit. Can't fin them anymore, but I'd like to get a multi band one.

Now, I know there is the Perseus line, and a few others, but bottom end is around $500. Not looking to dump that much into it until I've gotten my feet wet so to speak.

Is there any multi-band SDR's that run under $200? I'm open to kits, but can't have SMT's (I don't have the gear to mount them). Does this animal exist?

W3MIV
10-19-2010, 06:31 AM
I have seen nothing in that price range, and I, too, have been interested in moving to SDR to "spearmint" with it. I periodically consider buying a Flex -- then I grab myself by the shirt-front and slap some sense into my retired head. Their little 1500 is interesting, but life is too short for QRP -- especially in these uncertain solar times.

KC2UGV
10-19-2010, 06:52 AM
I have seen nothing in that price range, and I, too, have been interested in moving to SDR to "spearmint" with it. I periodically consider buying a Flex -- then I grab myself by the shirt-front and slap some sense into my retired head. Their little 1500 is interesting, but life is too short for QRP -- especially in these uncertain solar times.

Well, I just found this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=200474060158&Category=4673&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

For 40 and 30 (=/- 25KHz from center freq), and it's under $100... Hm... Maybe I'll hold out for a Genesis rig though.

N8YX
10-19-2010, 09:19 AM
A used WinRadio card is another option.

W3WN
10-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Have you looked into the SoftRock units? There's a SoftRock40 group on Yahoo that has a lot of stuff about them.

I have a SDR rx semi-assembled kit that I picked up over a year ago, although I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. There are also T/R single band units that are being talked about on there. And they all run on the same open software that the Flex's use.

Food for thought.

KC2UGV
10-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Have you looked into the SoftRock units? There's a SoftRock40 group on Yahoo that has a lot of stuff about them.

I have a SDR rx semi-assembled kit that I picked up over a year ago, although I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet. There are also T/R single band units that are being talked about on there. And they all run on the same open software that the Flex's use.

Food for thought.

Oh, that was the first one I looked at. Sadly, it appears they are out of stock, and have been for about 6 months now :( I was looking forward to getting a SoftRock Ensemble RXTX, even if I had to go and buy the tools to work on SMT stuff.

KC2UGV
10-19-2010, 11:15 AM
AS an aisde, I just checked the yahoo group. Seems a few people with units for sale there, and Tony has some kits for sale there as well.

KG4CGC
10-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Isn't it still possible to build one with non SMT components?

W3MIV
10-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Isn't it still possible to build one with non SMT components?

I guess you could make your own board. Way too many components for dead-bug, I would think.

To me, SMT demands a watch-maker's eyes and size .02 fingers, neither of which I possess. I bought a glass board (the size of a postage stamp) and parts kit to do an in-shell CI-V level converter for a DB-9 COMM connector. All SMT components, as you would imagine. What a major PITA. Even with a 3-diopter headset, it was impossible to read some of the labels -- thank God I have a 10x loupe, as well. Had to file down the tip on an Ungar iron to ophthalmological dimensions to avoid bridges. Somehow I did it.

Never again.

KG4CGC
10-19-2010, 01:38 PM
There are a couple of assembly methods that require either an over or a heating plate.
Tin the surfaces that will parts on them. With a little flux as an adhesive, mount the parts with tweezers and proper optics.
Place board in oven, I believe the temp is 375 degrees F. Or place on heating plate, watch until solder flows. A little harder to do in an oven.
Allow to cool completely before moving.
I still like old school parts though and the parts count would not be heavy and the entire project does not have to be the size of a credit card to work in my shack. A couple of chips and a few caps and resistors with a diode or 4?

KC2UGV
10-19-2010, 08:27 PM
I found it!

http://www.tentec.com/index.php?id=15

Ugly thing, but it came out a few years ago. This might be the winner :) Unless of course, I end up finding something better :lol:

NQ6U
10-20-2010, 12:56 AM
I didn't mention this before because it was out of the price range you mentioned but instead of the Ten-Tec, how about the RF Space SDR-iQ (http://www.rfspace.com/RFSPACE/SDR-IQ.html)? QST reviewed it a few months ago and it's performance pretty much knocked their socks off. I've been thinking about selling my Icom IC-R75 to help finance one.

HRO is selling it for $399.

KC2UGV
10-20-2010, 06:36 AM
Hmmm... Yeah, I said "circa $200", until I really got to looking into it. I don't think the animal exists (Other than the softrock kits). I like the iQ, looks a lot nicer than the Ten Tec.

W3WN
10-20-2010, 12:18 PM
AS an aisde, I just checked the yahoo group. Seems a few people with units for sale there, and Tony has some kits for sale there as well.

The SoftRock I have I got direct from Tony, well over a year ago. It got sidetracked during the Shack Reconstruction Project, but I know where it is, at least... and I've gotten the bulk of the year's Honeydew time using projects done, finally. (Anyone want to come over and help me seal a concrete porch?)

What I got was an almost-ready device. I have to put a few connectors on it, but that's about it.

I need to pay more attention to my emails (I get the daily digest from the Yahoo group right now), the next time one of the 40 and/or 30 meter SDR transceivers become available, I want to get one and see what I can do with it.

What's going to be fun is that I have an older laptop (running W2K right now) that would be perfect for a SoftRock. Talk about a compact portable radio...

NQ6U
10-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't know how the Ten-Tec compares performance-wise but it does have the advantage of being built in the U.S. The RF Space unit is built in Italy, I believe.

KG4CGC
10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
A used WinRadio card is another option.
What are your experiences with WinRadio? Should we start a separate trad for that? I do about 98% monitoring.

KC2UGV
10-20-2010, 12:42 PM
What are your experiences with WinRadio? Should we start a separate trad for that? I do about 98% monitoring.

Nah, I'm curious too. From the looks of it, it's tailored for surveillance, so it must be good?

KC9ECI
10-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I had one of the 80M softrock receiver kits a while back. Never did get around to building it. Passed it on to another local ham a few weeks back. The Flex 1500 arrived Saturday. The adapter end I ordered for my Heil headset was faulty so it went back and the new one is supposed to be here tomorrow. So far it's a fun rig to band surf with and pretty nice for CW. I think it might be tough to go back to knob and button radios. I think I'm going to pick up an Elecraft T1 autotuner to use with it. At the moment I'm running it on an Acer One netbook running XP. I'd really like to see a Linux port of the PowerSDR software.

KA9MOT
05-21-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm a little late on this one (old thread) but I just got one of these....------> http://zao.jp/radio/soft66ad/ . It works good with Windoze7 Home 32 bit and there is some Linux Software available for it (That I haven't figured out how to install yet in Ubuntu). I paid $90 for mine assembled, and there doesn't seem to be much to it, but it works well.

I'm a Linux Newbie since 1998.....Just can't get allot of stuff to work.

KI6LWI
05-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Wow that's a pretty cool kit, and at a great price! I'm rather tempted to pick one up and string up some wire or a couple slinkys in the attic to see what I can hear...

KG4CGC
05-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Too bad M0GLO had to commit forum seppuku. He was into that stuff heavy.

WØTKX
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
I :heart: my Flex 3000. :mrgreen:

Now that I have the Virtual Audio Cable thingies working right! Now, to get MultiPSK running with it, for those weird digital modes besides just the Ham Radio stuff via HRD.

NQ6U
05-25-2011, 01:20 PM

But, but...it ain't got no knobs!

KG4CGC
05-25-2011, 01:39 PM
But, but...it ain't got no knobs!

Kind of like a Ken doll.

KI6LWI
05-25-2011, 02:11 PM
OMG you can't say knob on teh internets :omg:

N8YX
05-28-2011, 07:32 AM
Nah, I'm curious too. From the looks of it, it's tailored for surveillance, so it must be good? Sorry I'm late to this one!

Got to play with a few versions of the WinRadio setup at Dayton last year and the year before. Interface is very nice, and a lot of 3rd-party rig-control software supports the devices.

I'm thinking about picking up one of these to evaluate:

http://www.winradio.com/home/g315i.htm

What I would like to do is to build a rack setup which can accommodate 6-10 in total, with enough computer power to manage them effectively. Maybe set up a VM host and control the receivers remotely.

As soon as I get any "in-shack" run-time on one I'll post an update to the thread.

KC9ECI
05-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Now that I have the Virtual Audio Cable thingies working right! Now, to get MultiPSK running with it, for those weird digital modes besides just the Ham Radio stuff via HRD.

I'm amused by my Flex 1500, but I'm not impressed. Overall, my IC-703+ provides me with a more satisfying user experience. Biggest reason the Flex isn't my favorite rig is that it's a kludge. There is no reason that the virtual com ports can't be a part of the overall software rather than a lame 3rd party application. There is no reason that PowerSDR can't have built in support for digital modes, even if it were in the form of software plug ins. The virtual audio cable system is awkward and non-intuitive. Flex radio is one competitor who gets it away from total disaster. All the world needs is for one company to put out a comparable product, release the source code to the open source crowd and Flex is finished. I asked the powers that be at Flex about getting a UK version of the firmware for the 1500 so I could take it to the UK with me and couldn't get a straight answer out of them. I finally told them to forget it, I'd take my Icom. Their big innovation at Dayton this year was a $129 knob that comes with 3 buttons. Seriously? I have to spend $129 to add a VFO knob to the bleeding edge of radio technology? I think not. While I plan to keep my Flex and will continue to use it, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one for casual operation quite yet.

KG4CGC
05-28-2011, 01:24 PM
I'm amused by my Flex 1500, but I'm not impressed. Overall, my IC-703+ provides me with a more satisfying user experience. Biggest reason the Flex isn't my favorite rig is that it's a kludge. There is no reason that the virtual com ports can't be a part of the overall software rather than a lame 3rd party application. There is no reason that PowerSDR can't have built in support for digital modes, even if it were in the form of software plug ins. The virtual audio cable system is awkward and non-intuitive. Flex radio is one competitor who gets it away from total disaster. All the world needs is for one company to put out a comparable product, release the source code to the open source crowd and Flex is finished. I asked the powers that be at Flex about getting a UK version of the firmware for the 1500 so I could take it to the UK with me and couldn't get a straight answer out of them. I finally told them to forget it, I'd take my Icom. Their big innovation at Dayton this year was a $129 knob that comes with 3 buttons. Seriously? I have to spend $129 to add a VFO knob to the bleeding edge of radio technology? I think not. While I plan to keep my Flex and will continue to use it, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy one for casual operation quite yet.

That's a shame too. When I read something like this, I come to the sometimes hasty conclusion that the only way to get the point across is to hit them in the wallet. Word of mouth is not taken seriously by some companies, then they wonder why they have a poor reputation. Sometimes they need to be reminded who actually butters their bread and that word of mouth is real. While this may have little effect on large corporations, it most definantly can have a strong effect on a small niche company.

WinRadio huh? Sounding more and more interesting.

KG4CGC
05-28-2011, 03:59 PM
http://www.elecraft.com/
KX3, check out the specs. Says can be used like SDR too.

KC9ECI
05-28-2011, 07:47 PM
http://www.elecraft.com/
KX3, check out the specs. Says can be used like SDR too.
I was looking at this at Dayton and the Icom 703 group in yahoo had a good long exchange about it. I seriously think my next new radio is going to be the Elecraft KX3. I mean Jeebus on a pogo stick, this thing can operate PSK/RTTY without the freaking computer and the ultra modern Flexible radio has to have 3 different programs running to do that. PowerSDR, Virtual Audio Cables, and something like MixW or MMTTY.

NQ6U
05-28-2011, 07:53 PM
If you're interested in VHF and above (64 to 1.7 GHz), check out this little guy (http://www.funcubedongle.com/?page_id=2). About $150 U.S., including shipping from the U.K. They were designed for use with satellites but can be used for other things as well. The things are so popular that they can't keep them in stock.

KA9MOT
05-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Sorry I'm late to this one!

Got to play with a few versions of the WinRadio setup at Dayton last year and the year before. Interface is very nice, and a lot of 3rd-party rig-control software supports the devices.

I'm thinking about picking up one of these to evaluate:

http://www.winradio.com/home/g315i.htm

What I would like to do is to build a rack setup which can accommodate 6-10 in total, with enough computer power to manage them effectively. Maybe set up a VM host and control the receivers remotely.

As soon as I get any "in-shack" run-time on one I'll post an update to the thread.

I use WinRadio with my little receiver. It is a sweet program and it is fairly easy to learn. The only problem I have so far is my soundcard sucks and makes allot of noise.

KA9MOT
06-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I use WinRadio with my little receiver. It is a sweet program and it is fairly easy to learn. The only problem I have so far is my soundcard sucks and makes allot of noise.

DOH!!!! I meant Winrad........

I put my receiver up for sale it is in the For Sale section with a special price for Islanders.