PDA

View Full Version : Red beet pickled eggs

n4aud
10-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Love'em. We usually have them at family gatherings, picknicks, etc. I understand they aren't a common food. Anybody else had them?

W5RB
10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
I've seen 'em around here , never ventured to try one though .

KG4CGC
10-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Do you mean that they are picked in red beet juice or that they are beet red? There are pink ones here but I bet the beet juice would be good.

n4aud
10-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Do you mean that they are picked in red beet juice or that they are beet red? There are pink ones here but I bet the beet juice would be good.

Yeah, the ones pickled with beet juice, they're bright red. Sweet tangy flavor, not like some of the nasty pickled stuff you see in convenience stores. I've never seen these in a store. They are dead simple to make.

KG4CGC
10-16-2010, 03:13 PM
I bet they would be a great homemade project. I personally would use free range eggs because they don't feed them recycled egg shells. That is what makes most regular eggs taste like sulfur bombs. The first time you bite into a boiled egg from cage free or even vegetarian chickens, you will never go back to the sulfur bombs!

al2n
10-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Mmmmm pickled eggs.

kc7jty
10-16-2010, 03:23 PM
The bars in rural Idaho (the gourmet state) all have a gallon jar with a varying amount of pickled eggs in it sitting somewhere in plain site. They are usually yellow not red.
I swear about 10% of the population there lives on these things, cheap beer, and (at least 10 years ago) cigarettes.

n4aud
10-16-2010, 03:28 PM
I found a bunch of recipes online for the beet eggs, all about the same. Water, beets, sugar, vinegar and the eggs, and sometimes onions. If you can boil water you can fix them.

kd8dey
10-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Wifiod 1.0 loves them. Been a while since I fixed a batch. Plenty of eggs on hand along with some generic beets that are a little tough for her to gumm. Dunno if I have any vinegar around.....

kc7jty
10-16-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/v3/06-06-2007.nf_07eggs.G9M25L88N.1.jpg

I'll take these puppies over those slimy things any day.

kd8dey
10-16-2010, 05:41 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/v3/06-06-2007.nf_07eggs.G9M25L88N.1.jpg

I'll take these puppies over those slimy things any day.

Those look good too BUT I doubt if they pack as much room clearing "Firepower"

ki4itv
10-16-2010, 06:17 PM
I sat at the end of a bar one night in extreme Lower Alabama and watched in awe as a fellow patron devoured a whole gallon jar of pickled pigs feet.
Think it was Foley, AL. but can't be sure of anything other than the gross factor.

n4aud
10-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Like I said, these aren't ordinary pickled eggs which I've never cared for.
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/pickled-red-beet-eggs/Detail.aspx
http://bountifulhealing.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/red-beet-eggs-and-other-things/
My mother didn't put onions in hers but I've had them that way. The beet juice makes them sweet.

kc7jty
10-16-2010, 07:35 PM
I can tell you right now, almost anything Pennsylvania Dutch will be LOADED with sugar.

W3MIV
10-16-2010, 07:36 PM
I found a bunch of recipes online for the beet eggs, all about the same. Water, beets, sugar, vinegar and the eggs, and sometimes onions. If you can boil water you can fix them.

Leave the onions in coarse rings, and yellows are better than sweets. Add a few Chinese dried red peppers per gallon jar when you put them up. A half-dozen is a good start for most folks -- add more if you are looking for hair on your chest. I also add some pickling spice.

W3MIV
10-16-2010, 07:39 PM
I sat at the end of a bar one night in extreme Lower Alabama and watched in awe as a fellow patron devoured a whole gallon jar of pickled pigs feet.
Think it was Foley, AL. but can't be sure of anything other than the gross factor.

I like pickled pigs' feet, but we sophisticates call them "trotters." ;)

al2n
10-16-2010, 08:05 PM

Pigs feet are actually quite good. Although I cannot fathom eating a whole gallon of them in one sitting. That would be a bit much for most mortals.

AA0CX
10-17-2010, 06:42 PM
I've seen the beet juice/pickled eggs in small town bars around here. You know, they sit on the bar in a big clear-glass crock...about 2 dozen of them in there, in these little taverns where there are three or four people around a table drinking in the back, and when you walk in (if you're a stranger) all conversation stops, and everyone stares. Then the barkeep puts down her cigarette, walks up behind the bar, and says "can I help you?" She's not smiling, and no one else is, either. You ask for a draw and three eggs, eat them, and get the hell out. More than a few times I experienced that -- probably less than 40 miles from Fargo. Reminds me always of the Wild West. Anyway, I digress. I only found them in small town bars, and I don't mind risking the stares and silent treatment to have a few eggs and a beer, and then scram.

kc7jty
10-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Hi Mark,
I know exactly what you mean. It's like walking into a stranger's house unanounced.

I was traveling Acadiana by car once and stopped into this rather large divey bar (shack is more like it) in Crowley only to ask directions. The place was PACKED with Cajuns (half male/half female) all eating, drinking, playing cards for money, and having a raucous good time.
It was like I was invisible. I finally got the bar keep to come over to me and asked for directions. Right away he says "did you wander off the interstate?"

I'll never forget that place, and have been intending to return for some eats there ever since.

If you ever get to Butte, MT. stop into a neighborhood bar there. The locals are so friendly and trusting it makes you wonder if you are on the same planet. In 30 minutes you'll know everybody in the place on a personal level.

W3MIV
10-18-2010, 08:09 AM
If you ever get to Butte, MT. stop into a neighborhood bar there. The locals are so friendly and trusting it makes you wonder if you are on the same planet. In 30 minutes you'll know everybody in the place on a personal level.

If I recall correctly, sMarty was from Butte.