PDA

View Full Version : Bedbugs

W5GA
10-15-2010, 08:57 PM
Food for thought, I got this via email and have no idea if it's true or not.

Date: Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 7:01 AM
Subject: Bed Bugs
To:

Hi All: A bit of information that you might like to know about. We have friends here in our community and one of their sons is an entomologist (insect expert), and has been telling them that there is an epidemic of bed bugs now occurring in America . Recently I have heard on the news that several stores in NYC have had to close due to bed bug problems, as well as a complete mall in New Jersey .

He says that since much of our clothing, sheets, towels, etc. now comes from companies outside of America, (sad but true), even the most expensive stores sell foreign clothing from China, Indonesia, etc. The bed bugs are coming in on the clothing as these countries do not consider them a problem. He recommends that if you buy any new clothing, even underwear and socks, sheets, towels, etc. that you bring them into the house and put them in your clothes dryer for at least 20 minutes. The heat will kill them and their eggs. DO NOT PURCHASE CLOTHES AND HANG THEM IN THE CLOSET FIRST. It does not matter what the
price range is of the clothing, or if the outfit comes from the most expensive store known in the U.S. They still get shipments from these countries and the bugs can come in a box of scarves or anything else for that matter. That is the reason why so many stores, many of them clothing stores have had to shut down in NYC and other places. All you need is to bring one item into the house that has bugs or eggs and you will go to hell and back trying to get rid of them. He travels all over the country as an advisor to many of these stores, as prevention and after they have the problem.

NQ6U
10-15-2010, 09:20 PM
I think it's mostly, but not entirely, BS. There has been an increase in bedbug infestations over the past few year but they were already here, not shipped from overseas. Also, I could find no reports of stores or malls being closed due to them.

w3bny
10-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Lemme guess...if I cash there check, they will take the bed bugs back

KC2UGV
10-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Bed bugs live in beds. The reason? They can not tolerate light very well. It's also why you don't usually see them, unless you snatch up the bedspreads.

Seeing as clothing tends to be hung on racks, I don't think this is feasible. Coupled with the customs requirements for cargoes, I don't think it's likely.

W5GA
10-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Coupled with the customs requirements for cargoes, I don't think it's likely.
Which is why Guam has a Brown Tree Snake problem.

VK3ZL
10-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh, I am always in favor of having multiple companions in bed..:stirpot:....Nothing better than having a good scratch...After all, I bet all our ancient ancestors never worried about a few bugs and the occasional flea ridden dog to keep themselves warm at night...Trouble these days, is people have this idea of being super clean and sterile is better for their well being...That's why there are so many health problems rife in the community...

Go outside and roll in the dirt with the dogs and encourage your kids to do the same...Toughen up the immune system a bit and share a few germs around...Hell, I was brought up with my weekly bath in the laundry trough after mum had washed all the clothes every Saturday morning...Never killed me...Hard to escape Jeannie's eagle eye these days though, as she counts the jocks and socks each washing day and gives me hell if any are missing...I'm great to be around on a 40C day though..:yuck:

Modern living ?? Bah, bunch of wimps....:rant:

Bob..VK3ZL..:yuck:

KC2UGV
10-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Which is why Guam has a Brown Tree Snake problem.

And we have problems with boa's as well here.

I'm saying the two facts combined (Not individually) make it unlikely that the root cause is importation.

n2ize
10-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Food for thought, I got this via email and have no idea if it's true or not.

I think its largely false. While its true that the bugs and their eggs can be carried from place to place on clothing I have never heard or have been able to find any reference to the notion that they come in on new clothing from places like China. Nor have I heard of stored closed due to the bugs. In NYC there is an issue with bedbugs in some hotels, including one or more fancy high priced hotels. This seems to indicate that they could be carried on clothing of hotel patrons but not nessesarily new cloths made in China. Other listed causes of increased bedbugs appear to be a buildup of resistance to pesticides, carried by animals, pets, and, the insects themselves moving from one location to another.

N8YX
10-16-2010, 08:12 AM
One may also help prevent the spread of bedbugs simply by not stealing the hotel linens.

Simple, wasn't it?

ki4itv
10-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Probably more related to packing way too many young men in a single residence. You know... to do those jobs that many claim we won't do for ourselves around our own homes and businesses.
But nobody will come right out and say that... will they?
I certainly wouldn't.

NQ6U
10-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Probably more related to packing way too many young men in a single residence. You know... to do those jobs that many claim we won't do for ourselves around our own homes and businesses.
But nobody will come right out and say that... will they?
I certainly wouldn't.

The bigotry of this post is only surpassed by the sheer ignorance displayed by the poster.

ki4itv
10-16-2010, 12:59 PM
The bigotry of this post is only surpassed by the sheer ignorance displayed by the poster.

Sorry you feel that way. I work in the remodeling/construction industry. I see the properties, deal directly with the property owners, and have hundreds of stories involving the conditions these properties are left in by the time I get there. That observation is a fact derived from actually having been on-site and witnessing the increasing frequency of what must have been unbelievable living conditions. I did not enjoy putting it out there.
You'll notice that I was very specific in who (young men living in tight quarters).

Ignorance? Bigotry? Hardly, and I assume you must be speaking directly to race.
If you don't wish to believe the people who are closest to actually seeing what is going on under the radar and behind the scenes, then none of us can have an honest discussion about what the real problems are.

In other post, I have been saying that the vast majority of Americans don't have a clue how bad it has become. And frankly I'm sorry for even assuming that anyone would understand that I am specifically addressing "conditions" that low wage workers are placed in while trying to make it on sub-standard wages.
You'll see what you wish to see. I guess.

NQ6U
10-16-2010, 05:20 PM
The bigotry comes from blaming immigrants for what's actually a home-grown problem. The ignorance is evident from the fact that your post shows you know nothing about the nature of the current problem with bedbug infestations, which are not the result of the squalor you attribute them to. In fact, the problem is mostly seen in hotels--often even the very fanciest hotels--but is just as common in upscale suburbs as it is in poor neighborhoods.

ki4itv
10-16-2010, 06:04 PM
I would say that it's only "news" now because it has recently shown up in the very fanciest hotels.

You may not notice, but, I usually only post to topics from my own personal experience. It's all I feel comfortable with when adding to a conversation.
No doubt, I chose a provocative way to say what I said. Sorry if I offended you.
No offense intended. I chose a poor way to divert a thread to something I feel is being missed in the general conversation.
peace.

n2ize
10-16-2010, 06:35 PM
Ypou are probably more likely to see bedbugs in crowded low income residences for the same reasons you might find them at an exclusive Manhattan hotel. Namely, differnt people traveling and using a common location transport the eggs and possibly adult insects which then take residence. Due to the nature of the insect and their resistance to insecticides the problem becomes apparent. It is as common among the exclusive as it is among the crowded dwellings of the poor.

kb2vxa
10-17-2010, 04:21 PM
"You are probably more likely to see bedbugs in crowded low income residences for the same reasons you might find them at an exclusive Manhattan hotel."
There you go, infestations know no bounds and being small and in hiding the critters are awfully hard to spot unless you know just where to look for them so are easily transported. The "plague" started ages ago and when it became epic the song was written. You don't think that "uptown" refers to Harlem now do you? I have serious doubts the Stones shacked anywhere but in a five star hotel when they played New York.

Don't you know the crime rate is going up, up, up, up, up
To live in this town you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough!
You got rats on the West Side
Bed bugs uptown
What a mess this town's in tatters I've been shattered
My brain's been battered, splattered all over Manhattan.

What bugs me (pun intentional) is the state recently issued a notice regarding the wing of a local hospital run by a major hospital "chain" where group therapy sessions are held. According to the state it's infested up the wazoo yet outpatients are still meeting there and bringing critters home with them infesting their places of residence. Now there's a twist, even if they get rid of them in the home they'll keep coming back as long as they continue to attend until and unless the facility is completely rid of them. I feel the building should be vacated and fumigated but the facility continues in operation, oh well.

Oh and BTW, Ozzies may be tough but do you really like being bitten by disease carrying miniature vampires? Yeah mate, they consider you lunch!