PDA

View Full Version : UPS

kc7jty
10-15-2010, 03:18 AM
Ordered a wine bottle vacuum pump kit for $10 (total weight 1 pound) & it was shipped 10/12 via UPS $7.50 shipping charge. Just got word from UPS arrival is expected here the 21st.
WTF!
The post office would have had it here in 5 days for $5.

KC2UGV
10-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Yeah, I only use "other than USPS" for odd shaped packages USPS charges more for.

W3WN
10-15-2010, 08:07 AM
Ordered a wine bottle vacuum pump kit for $10 (total weight 1 pound) & it was shipped 10/12 via UPS $7.50 shipping charge. Just got word from UPS arrival is expected here the 21st.
WTF!

That's Brown for you.

They actually manage to make the Postal Service look good by comparison. Now THAT is scary.

w3bny
10-15-2010, 08:35 AM
WTF!

A "wine bottle vacuum pump"...from Sweden perhaps....groovy baby.

W3WN
10-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I've always wondered...

If you order one of, ah, those items, and they're damaged while being delivered... does someone actually have the nerve to report it and submit the package & contents for insurance inspection?

n6hcm
10-16-2010, 07:54 AM
I've always wondered...

If you order one of, ah, those items, and they're damaged while being delivered... does someone actually have the nerve to report it and submit the package & contents for insurance inspection?

hell, yah. it's only stuff.

similarly, i occasionally had to bring mac systems owned by one of my clients (a pr0n production company) to the apple store for support/repair. i just give the engineer a heads-up that the contents are not work-safe and the clue light came on.

having been on the other side of this picture (the sender of such materials) i can say we regularly had requests to minimize the impact if the package was opened inappropriately ... so we'd ship the dvds in small stiff white envelopes instead of the usual dvd case with the artwork. not sure how well that ever worked for the recipients.

n2ize
10-16-2010, 09:23 AM
That's Brown for you.

They actually manage to make the Postal Service look good by comparison. Now THAT is scary.

Actually the post office is pretty efficient considering some of the people who run things. Their on line tracking stinks but the service is generally quite good. Most shipments get here faster than the service I get from UPS, FedEx, etc.

ka8ncr
10-16-2010, 09:55 AM
USPS flat rate shipping kicks butt. And when I sell my books on Amazon at the end of a semester, the media mail is usually about $4 a book.

I tried to ship a $80,000 portable microwave transmitter by FedEx last summer. My boss gets a call from the FBI asking about me and what I might have tried to ship via FedEx in a large black case on wheels, and why it was over next to the entrance at Ford Field. He had no idea what I had shipped, but the FBI said that they were going to take it out to the airport and "open it" (I enjoy the little irony that the emergency plan here is to take suspected explosives TO the airport).

They finally get in touch with someone at work who looks up the shipping record (I'm in class, no way to read me as my phone is off) and sees where it's going. The FBI is reassured it's not going to go *poof*, opens it and then gets all worked up over the helically wound antenna and feed assembly (it looks like it could be a nice sized white pipe bomb). My boss assures them that it's no big deal, they'll send someone over to pick it up.

What happened is that the FedEx driver picked this up in the afternoon, drove around Detroit all day with it and at one of the stops, removed it to restack the truck. And left it or had it stolen. Knowing that no pawn shop in the world was going to buy this stuff, the person who acquired it ditched the whole kit next to Ford Field. FedEx's response was, "oh, sorry" and still tried to bill us for the whole adventure. Two days later, a bunch of Apple gear shows up via FedEx completely trashed. Gotta love 'em too.

N7RJD
10-16-2010, 01:29 PM
FedEx's response was, "oh, sorry" and still tried to bill us for the whole adventure.

FedEx Freight always tried to charge me over $200 if their driver used a lift gate during delivery.
They never collected but kept trying. I always found it a bit odd that I should pay that kind of
money for them using a common piece of machinery that makes delivery easier on their driver,
saving their hourly paid employee time and reducing risk of injury caused by breaking pallets
down and having to reach up and pull heavy items down from over their head to stack on the
ground and take in by hand truck.

I understand if we required them to do something outside the norm but considering that it had
nothing to do with our convenience and everything to do with theirs it seemed a bit out there.

W3WN
10-16-2010, 02:55 PM
The local UPS drivers have a nasty habit of simply leaving the "we tried to deliver" note on the door. They pulled that as recently as earlier this summer, when my Omni VI+ showed up on a day my wife was home. When I called and raised cain, the driver was sent back... in an earlier time frame than when we were told he'd be there... and left another note.

Fortunately, I know where the local depot is, so I went that evening to get it myself. Not exactly the best part of town, and they now have the former "customer service" area fenced off. You have to go to the security guard and explain why you're there. Nice.

FedEx freight is as bad in their own way. About 2 years ago at work, we were awaiting delivery of a rack-sized AC unit for our server room. The truck pulls up in the alley alongside the building, instead of pulling in the back by the loading area. Driver is asked to pull around back. Instead, he loads the crate onto the liftgate, carts it down the alley, and deposits it in front of the building -- uncrated. And leaves. KB3ERQ & I had loads of fun uncrating the thing with the few tools we had on hand (and I made a trip to Depot that night and bought what we had needed so we wouldn't get caught like THAT again!)

FedEx Freight refused to refund the cost charged for the driver to uncrate the unit, and tried to bill us for the driver using the liftgate.

I'd rather pay more upfront and get good service in return, but this is the price of cutting costs.

N5RLR
10-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Having professionally received FedEx and UPS, I won't trust either. The most glaring example was at a former employer where $20,000 worth of PC boards arrived with damage to just about every one. The QC manager was livid. And a build deadline was missed because of it.

Reputation or no, I've had good luck with USPS. ;)

n4aud
10-16-2010, 03:49 PM
The PO's tracking system doesn't work at all but otherwise I'm happy with them. I've had some issues with UPS but a couple of their drivers have gone out of their way to help me too so I can't dis them too much.

NQ6U
10-16-2010, 04:06 PM
My brother has worked for FedEx for many years. He's a customer service rep now so, one day, I got ahold of his direct phone number from my dad and called him up. When he answered, I said "I got a complaint." I could hear him sigh, then say "I'm sorry to hear that. What can I do for you?" I answered "It's your drivers. They keep blocking my driveway with their big, brown trucks." There was about five seconds of silence, then he said "Carl, you asshole..."

suddenseer
10-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Writing as the 'head VE' I have nothing but good to say about the usps. We would conduct a testing session on a Saturday morning. I would fill up a prepaid USPS (if it fits, it ships) with test session papers. The package would arrive at W1AW, or W5YI on Monday. The candidate could check the FCC data base on Tuesday, and be on the air with their new privileges (new hams). I am reffering to the period when the VEC could enter the data directly into the FCC database. I don't know what they do now. The USPS rules!!!! I had to wait 6 weeks.

KA5PIU
10-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Hello.

For years the USPS has had issues.
Now there is real effort being put forth to make it work.
Quite a few post offices have closed and the operation now has a lot of contractors doing the work, and a lot has streamlined.
But now we have a far better postal service than a few years back.

w3bny
10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
For coast-to-coast shipping you cant beat USPS. Stuff from Califas to the hutch is 3 days. UPS is about a week. FedEx is about a week and a half.

KG4CGC
10-18-2010, 02:29 PM
UPS is great for what the postal service won't touch, over 70#. I've had a great disdain over the years for UPS but they are improving.
What really got my butt hairs all caught up in a hackle was when for a time, they were delivering packages to me intended for a neighbor eight digits down from me. I called up UPS and told them of the problem and just what did the little PRICK on the other end have to say? "Why can't you take it down there to them?" What? Jebus, Josey and Mary! WTF do you think I am? Your F**k Up fixer? That someone would even say such a thing shows the level of mediocrity that is embraced not only by UPS, but by a great percentage of businesses.

I reminded the little PRICK that I could have simply not called and kept the item and that they would have now way to prove it. Within 10 minutes the driver returned and picked up his faux pas. Well golly Beave! How hard was that? Must have been pretty hard because a week later the exact same thing happened. Now this time, I was expecting an "Oh Sorry, We'll be right there" etc. Nope! same little PRICK answers the phone and says the exact same thing he said before, "Well can't you take that to them?" I reminded little PRICK that the same thing happened the week before and that one of their drivers could drop off a laptop or whatever intended for the neighbor and that they wouldn't be able to prove it since these were items that apparently required NO signature.

Driver shows up about 15 minutes later and this time I'm standing outside. I point out the name and the address and he apolizes for his mistake (twice) and then I let him in on what the little PRICK said and he went off! Little PRICK has apparently been trying to pull that shtick for a while and was tacitly approved to do so by his boss.

A few months go by and the same driver delivers something to me at my address (wow, unbelievable) and as it required a signature he had a chance to tell me that little PRICK and that whole management team that he was under had gone the way of the do-do. Fine business and good riddance to the foul smell of mediocrity.

kc7jty
10-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Tell 'em yeah, I'll take it down to them, for $7.50. Expected arrival date will be in 10 days.

KG4CGC
10-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Tell 'em yeah, I'll take it down to them, for $7.50. Expected arrival date will be in 10 days.
Clearly I must not have had anything better to do with my time since I was calling, THEM!

kf0rt
10-18-2010, 04:10 PM

:rofl:

I think this is one of those localized things. We seem to get excellent service from all three (knocking heavily on wood). I like shipping USPS Priority because it's cheaper/faster, but UPS works, too. Sent a package to a guy on the West Slope (other side of the mountains) once via UPS ground. Dropped the package off at about 6PM, just as the local mall shipper was closing. He got it at 10 AM the next morning. Denver seems to have a pretty kick-ass UPS crew. UPS from Dallas/Fort Worth to Denver is really fast, too -- I've had Mouser shipments in a day and a half via UPS ground.

My daughter (in Manhattan, KS) says USPS has a problem delivering packages to apartments there. Sometimes, they leave them at the door, sometimes deliver to the apartment manager, sometimes you gotta go tot the PO and pick it up. College town... No complaints since she left the apartment life.

W7XF
10-18-2010, 06:45 PM
You know what they say:

IF IT'S BROWN, FLUSH IT!!

;):shifty::-P:muhahaha:

w6tmi
10-18-2010, 08:46 PM
UPS ground from far away is slow. USPS quickly delivers my package... To my neighbors!

I'll take slow and accurate, thanks.

kc7jty
10-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I'll take slow and accurate, thanks.
I might not be getting even the accurate. Got another person's order in my mail box today. Now I'm thinking they will get mine.

Reminds me of the time I got a $50 order of custom made, organic, granola I knew nothing about. It sure tasted good though.

KG4CGC
10-18-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/113219/saturday-night-live-ups-1

n6hcm
10-19-2010, 03:52 AM
i watched fedex ground give a package for me to a passerby who happened to be in front of my house at the time of delivery. he never even rang the bell ...

i have a private mailbox because it's easier to get packages (i prefer not to have personal stuff delivered at the office). the private mailbox has their own problems--they don't require signatures (from the recipient) for any usps-delivered items (not even registered mail), and that's going to be a problem for them some day....

why is this so hard?

W3WN
10-19-2010, 09:42 AM
< snip > why is this so hard?

Because too many people don't give a ratz azz about doing their job, let alone taking pride in doing their job.

KG4CGC
10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Because too many people don't give a ratz azz about doing their job, let alone taking pride in doing their job.
Because we have been told to embrace The Mediocrity embraced by The Corporations and The Government. Like an Unholy Trinity, Mediocrity is the religion of Government Corporatism.

VK3ZL
10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
I had a heavy parcel, 53 pounds, sent from the US to Australia priority air mail..last November...It took 6 days from despatch to arrival here....Not bad considering it was handled by both USPS and Aus Post....Needless to say it cost US$275 postage..

Bob..VK3ZL..

KG4CGC
10-19-2010, 10:01 PM
US$275 postage..
CRYPS!

kc7jty
10-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Big Alpha Juicebox?

VK3ZL
10-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Big Alpha Juicebox?

Actually a 48 pound custom made Peter Dahl Hypersil transformer I had especially built for my 160 meter water cooled amp....All up cost was only $800 and that included postage 1/3 the cost...:cry:

Bob..VK3ZL..

kc7jty
10-20-2010, 02:09 AM
water cooled, that sounds interesing.

VK3ZL
10-20-2010, 03:09 AM
water cooled, that sounds interesing.

Have a look through Homebrew and Mods forum, June 27th, May 23 and May 16...I have some pics of some of my work there including a couple of water cooled amplifiers...

Bob..VK3ZL..

KA5PIU
10-20-2010, 05:55 AM
Hello.

Only $800?
Something that is usually up on a pole would look very attractive at that point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pylon_transformer
Most AM broadcast transmitters will tune 160 and getting one with under 10kw of power will leave plenty of reserve power.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_transmitter
Finding a BC transmitter is not all that hard as a lot of stations have switched to solid state with most having 2 or 3 generations available.
Shipboard equipment is another option.
2 MHz AM transmitters were the rule for a lot of years and most run 1kw.
Note that this is 1kw carrier, not swing, and none of this limited duty cycle, you can drop a brick on the key!
Local options are far cheaper.