PDA

View Full Version : Cuba on 20 meters PSK

KC2UGV
10-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Cuba is booming in right now on 20 meters :) Logged two Cuba stations in about 10 minutes :)

NQ6U
10-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Cuba is booming in right now on 20 meters :) Logged two Cuba stations in about 10 minutes :)

Yeah, I see those guys all the time out here on the Left Coast. I think there's a couple of Big Gun club stations there because they really put out some signal.

Right now I'm trying to land a Venezuelan station on 20m PSK31.

KC2UGV
10-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I see those guys all the time out here on the Left Coast. I think there's a couple of Big Gun club stations there because they really put out some signal.

Right now I'm trying to land a Venezuelan station on 20m PSK31.

YV1PX? I see him on there, and I'm trying to do the "watch and pounce" thing. He seems to not be hearing me.

NQ6U
10-10-2010, 06:08 PM
YV1PX? I see him on there, and I'm trying to do the "watch and pounce" thing. He seems to not be hearing me.

Yeah, that's the guy. He seems to have disappeared from my waterfall at the moment but he's been up and down for the last couple of hours.

NQ6U
10-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Never got YV1PX but I did land UA0ZK from Asiatic Russia. Only the second one of those I've got.

KC2UGV
10-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Never got YV1PX but I did land UA0ZK from Asiatic Russia. Only the second one of those I've got.

Yeah, PX vanished from mine as well. I couldn't quite make out the whole call for UA0ZK, so never tried :( Maybe next time.

NQ6U
10-10-2010, 06:39 PM
20m seems to be opening up to South America and the Caribbean right now. I've seen Martinique, Dominican Republic, Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina all in the last few minutes.

W3MIV
10-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Seventeen and twenty and thirty were hot for much of today, so I am not surprised it would continue. Lots of QSB and overlapping traces, though. I have already shut down for the day; but I'll be back on tomorrow, though, and I will post where I squat.

Lots of Eastern Europe, including two oddities for me: Bulgaria and Uzbekistan. I had worked a couple of Bulgars before, but this was my first Uzbek -- and it turned out he was a Russki name of Alex.

Most of my day was occupied by reinstalling software and re-establishing a routine. PITA when you've been out of the loop as long as I have -- a review of my logs revealed that my last upload to LoTW was early in 2007. How time flies.

Now have the full DX Labs suite installed, MixW 2.2x and its related gateway up and running. Also paid Fred the QRZ AH thirty bucks for his on-line data lookups -- worth every penny of it -- and I think I'm good to go. DXKeeper was always an excellent logger, but it has been improved incredibly. For contests, I prefer N3FJP, whose programs work fast and well. His state QSO software is a significant help in managing fast paced QSOs without blowing it with errors or dupes. For general logging and mangement, though, I prefer the full DXLabs suite which handles spotting, propagation, multiple lookup sources, a comprehensive mapping view with gray line, and full rig control. Something, of course, will go on the fritz; it always does. :(

BTW, around here, Cubans are ALWAYS hot on PSK on twenty especially, and often very, very sloppy. There's one guy in Habana -- I can't now remember his call, but I worked him time and again before I lost my wire -- who runs an FT-101, and I'm sure he runs it wide open, balls-to-the-wire on PSK31, which would not be too bad if he could only learn to manage his ALC. As it is, he can be six or seven hundred Hz wide with more sidebars than than a divorce court.

ciao

KC2UGV
10-10-2010, 08:59 PM
...clip...

he can be six or seven hundred Hz wide with more sidebars than than a divorce court.

Now that was hilarious :)

w3bny
10-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Hate to pee on your parade...Cuba is always booming on 20m. Takes forever to get a qsl. But you cant swing a dead cat on 14.070 and not see a CO station.

KC2UGV
10-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Hate to pee on your parade...Cuba is always booming on 20m. Takes forever to get a qsl. But you cant swing a dead cat on 14.070 and not see a CO station.

Well... I guess I should be in no rush to tack up that Cuba card lol

But, then again, I know now they're common. Thanks :)

w3bny
10-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Well... I guess I should be in no rush to tack up that Cuba card lol

But, then again, I know now they're common. Thanks :)

Dont get me wrong. They respond...eventually. Ive sent IRC's...green backs...hell next is M&M's and Irish Spring. Dont know what to do to get them to answer up.