PDA

View Full Version : Halladay throws no hitter against Reds.

w2amr
10-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Phillies ace joins Larsen as only pitcher to toss no-no in postseason

The Reds led the NL in average (.272), homers (180 and runs (790). But they couldn't do anything against Halladay, who won 21 games and is a strong candidate to win his second Cy Young Award.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/39546597/ns/sports-baseball/

W3WN
10-07-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm still going to root for the Reds, even though I suspect the Giants will defeat the Phillies in the NLCS.

w2amr
10-07-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm still going to root for the Reds, even though I suspect the Giants will defeat the Phillies in the NLCS.
And I suspect you are a delusional Pirate fan.:-P

NQ6U
10-07-2010, 02:29 PM
The Giants barely beat out San Diego for the NL West championship; if the Padres hadn't flopped over the last six weeks of the season, San Francisco wouldn't even be in the playoffs. Assuming that they manage to get by Atlanta, which I wouldn't bet on, the Phillies will wipe the floor with with the them. This comes from someone who grew up as a Giants fan and who would like to see them in the World Series, but doesn't expect it.

W3WN
10-07-2010, 02:30 PM
And I suspect you are a delusional Pirate fan.:-P

No need for name calling. Especially not when you consider that convicted felon QB'ing the Eagles right now.

Besides, we've been over this before. I may live here now, and root for the Pirates to keep peace in the house, but they are at best my #2 team.

And the Yankees will cream the Phillies... presuming that the Giants don't knock off the Phillies first.

w2amr
10-07-2010, 02:59 PM
No need for name calling. Especially not when you consider that convicted felon QB'ing the Eagles right now.

Besides, we've been over this before. I may live here now, and root for the Pirates to keep peace in the house, but they are at best my #2 team.

And the Yankees will cream the Phillies... presuming that the Giants don't knock off the Phillies first.
Now now, no need to get testy, I was just teasing. Besides , the low life dog killer is hurt.
BTW, All the pieces are in place, I think we are going to win it all.
Do you honestly think the the Yankees or anyone else can match our 3 starting pitchers? The only thing that can stop the Phils are injury problems, or one of those team batting slumps they get in from time to time.

W3WN
10-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Now now, no need to get testy, I was just teasing. Besides , the low life dog killer is hurt.
BTW, All the pieces are in place, I think we are going to win it all.
Do you honestly think the the Yankees or anyone else can match our 3 starting pitchers? The only thing that can stop the Phils are injury problems, or one of those team batting slumps they get in from time to time.
He is? Really? Aw.

Even the best pitchers give up hits and runs. Even the best teams go into hitting slumps. And in a short series, anything can happen.

I understand the Giants have left Barry Zito off the NLDS roster. That says something about their confidence level.

My prediction is the Yankees take the Giants in 6 in the Series. But I've been known to be wrong.

w2amr
10-07-2010, 03:32 PM
He is? Really? Aw.

Even the best pitchers give up hits and runs. Even the best teams go into hitting slumps. And in a short series, anything can happen.

I understand the Giants have left Barry Zito off the NLDS roster. That says something about their confidence level.

My prediction is the Yankees take the Giants in 6 in the Series. But I've been known to be wrong.
And I'm just the guy to remind you if you are.:mrgreen:

suddenseer
10-07-2010, 03:54 PM
I stopped rooting for the Red's about the 8th inning. Watching a true master at his craft is a privilege I don't take lightly. Now go Red's. Comparing him to Don Larsen would be an insult. Larsen pitched that record breaking game, he was lackluster as a big league pitcher otherwise. This guy is in the same class as John Smiley, Glavin, Smoltz, Nolan Ryan, to name a few.

w2amr
10-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I stopped rooting for the Red's about the 8th inning. Watching a true master at his craft is a privilege I don't take lightly. Now go Red's. Comparing him to Don Larsen would be an insult. Larsen pitched that record breaking game, he was lackluster as a big league pitcher otherwise. This guy is in the same class as John Smiley, Glavin, Smoltz, Nolan Ryan, to name a few.It doesn't get much easier. After Halladay you have Oswalt and Hamels to deal with. I just hope Cole doesn't get mental on us again if he gets a couple of bad calls.

suddenseer
10-07-2010, 06:09 PM
It doesn't get much easier. After Halladay you have Oswalt and Hamels to deal with. I just hope Cole doesn't get mental on us again if he gets a couple of bad calls.I agree partially. Oswalt is problematic considering he is well rested, tested, adjusted. Hamels & Cole ....naaaah.

W3WN
10-07-2010, 07:28 PM
And I'm just the guy to remind you if you are.:mrgreen:

I'm sure you will.

Now, how many World Series Trophies do the Philliez have? How many Super Bowl trophies do the Eaglez have? Or Stanley Cups for the Flyerz?

suddenseer
10-07-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm sure you will.

Now, how many World Series Trophies do the Philliez have? How many Super Bowl trophies do the Eaglez have? Or Stanley Cups for the Flyerz?damn. I cant refute that.

W3WN
10-07-2010, 10:43 PM
It could be worse. After all, we're not talking about Cleveland.

It has been a little strange, the last 28 years. I'm acclimated, but I'm still not a native. Call them Yinzers, these restless natives, but do so politely. They nod politely when I call a Coke a Soda, not a Pop. That I don't understand the mystery of chipped ham... or chipped anything else. That a Klondike should be served in an Isaly's, not out of the freezer in the supermarket. Or that I still tend to pronounce "North Versailles" like the French do, not "Ver sales" like everyone else does.

My love of the Yankees and, as Myron Cope would put it (with an exagerrated Brooklyn accent yet) "The New Yawk FOOTBALL Giants" are tolerated... after all, that's the AL & the NFC. They don't understand why I root for the Knicks, and not the Nets (the Nets were still on the Island when I moved away), but then, pro basketball never took hold here. Nor do they understand why I think of the NJ Devils as carpetbaggers... of course, all I have to do is ask them if they really want me to root for a team originally from Cleveland, and they understand.

I am a Penn State'r married into a family of Pitt alumni. Somehow, my wife loves me anyway, I just have to be careful which college football game I watch on any given Saturday.

Hmmm. No wonder I feel so comfortable on this, ah, Island of Misfits.

W3WN
10-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Unbelievable.

Freddy just came to bat for the Giants, and the TBS announcers pronounce his last name as "san Chez"

I guarantee you that there are several thousand Pirates fans screaming at the set "It's prounced SAN Chez you morons!"

w2amr
10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm sure you will.

Now, how many World Series Trophies do the Philliez have? How many Super Bowl trophies do the Eaglez have? Or Stanley Cups for the Flyerz?
Sorry Ron, but I'm I'm not an Eagles fan or a Flyers fan. Nice try though.
Your World Series Trophies ? I didn't know we were talking ancient history here.:mrgreen:

W3WN
10-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Sorry Ron, but I'm I'm not an Eagles fan or a Flyers fan. Nice try though.
Your World Series Trophies ? I didn't know we were talking ancient history here.:mrgreen:

Lois, Pulitzer Prizes are like Academy Awards, nobody remembers what you got one for, just that you got one. . . .