PDA

View Full Version : Fax Software

n2ize
10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
What type of fax software do you use ? At one point \I thought that the need to fax stuff would become obsolete. However, after a lull of about 12 months, of late I find myself sending several faxes per month. As a fax server I use a program called "Hylafax" which runs on an ancient Compaq server chugging away day after day in my basement running Fedora 5. This server takes care of http requests, DNS, mail, web proxy, ftp, a host of other stuff, and of course hylafax.

In the future I plan to be upgrading the server to more modern hardware and a newer version of Linux or Unix. Any good recommendations for fax services ? Or, should I stick with "hylafax" ?

W4GPL
10-06-2010, 06:26 PM
I still use Hylafax in combination with Asterisk & IAXModem.. Short of the native fax stuff in Asterisk, I don't know of anyone using anything else on a wide spread scale.

n6hcm
10-08-2010, 02:56 AM
fax *software?* hahahah! for outgoing faxes i have all-in-one devices. for incoming faxes i have one of those fax-to-email services.

ad4mg
10-08-2010, 07:36 AM
fax *software?* hahahah! for outgoing faxes i have all-in-one devices. for incoming faxes i have one of those fax-to-email services.
Yup, the KISS principle. I have an HP OfficeJet 7310xi all-in-one. Has a duplexer, sheet feed scanner, NIC, and memory card reader. Great for the occasional outgoing fax. Works gangbusters with Windoze or Ubuntu Linux.

KC2UGV
10-08-2010, 08:32 AM
The last fax software I used was Hylafax... Never really a huge need for one, but I installed and maintained it for a client who sent like 5000 faxes a month :O

n2ize
10-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Hylafax works fine for what I do here. Guess I'll stick with it.

N2CHX
10-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I use myfax.com for incoming and outgoing faxes. I don't have the time or energy to screw around trying to get an old faxmodem to work.

W3MIV
10-13-2010, 08:10 AM
Got rid of fax software long ago. Found that a dedicated fax machine on a dedicated fax line to be far more efficient, especially if it uses a laser engine and plain copy paper.

n2ize
10-15-2010, 04:13 PM
I've got a fax going out via Hylafax right now as I speak

NQ6U
10-15-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm sending my Filofax to Halifax.

W3MIV
10-15-2010, 04:30 PM

I'll send Joe Friday along to check.

n6hcm
10-17-2010, 06:25 AM

now there's a blast from the past ... the first firm i worked for here in ca would reimburse its salaried staff for the annual filofax refill. never did use it, tho.

WØTKX
10-17-2010, 09:31 AM
No POTS at the house, so I use my neighbor's all-in-one HP to send or receive FAX... for the rare occasions I have to work with Luddites that don't grok email.

My little Brother MFC-255CW scanner/fax/printer was about the same price as what some FAX software costs. It's not fast, but it's handy and wireless... the printer does a damn good job for an inkjet. Sells for $99, was $69 on sale at Best Buy this summer. Prints photos better than the HP did, compared with photo inks and papers.

http://www.pcdistrict.com/modules/productcatalog/product_images/127091-brother-mfc-255cw-3130.jpg

I ordered $30 worth of paper and ink online with a coupon... so I could do all the damn paperwork for my accident. Turns out I'm stocked with consumables for at least two years, this thing does not use up ink as fast as my older HP inkjet. Use the scanner more than anything, to have my medical stuff saved where I can find it. I hate filing papers.

n2ize
10-18-2010, 05:46 PM
No POTS at the house, so I use my neighbor's all-in-one HP to send or receive FAX... for the rare occasions I have to work with Luddites that don't grok email.

A lot of companies, banks, etc. still require faxes. I don't have POTS but I send FAX via VOIP.

kf0rt
10-18-2010, 06:11 PM
We have a Xerox machine at work that does it all. You can stack papers in it and it will scan to a PDF file and email the file to you. Fax, no problem.