PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: Post Season Scenarios and Nightmares

N2NH
10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
This is how it shapes up.

If the Yankees win and the Rays lose, Yanks are Divisional Champs and Rays the Wild Card. If the Yanks lose and the Rays win, the reverse is true.

OTOH, if they both win or both lose, most likely there will be a one game playoff to determine the Divisional Champ.

Now, in the NL it is even worse. If the Pods win and the Braves win, a one game playoff to determine the Wild Card. Same thing if they both lose. If the Pods win and the Giants lose, a one game playoff to determine the NL West Champs. But, if the Pods win, Giants lose and Braves win, they have to play for NL West Champs and the loser will have to play the Braves for Wild Card team. There's more, but this is bad enough...

The Situation Now... (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/?tcid=nav_mlb_standings)

n2ize
10-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Remember when there were no playoffs and the baseball season was over in September ?

suddenseer
10-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I was 2 years old when that expansion. I do remember when the american league played real baseball.

W3WN
10-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Remember when there were no playoffs and the baseball season was over in September ?
Yes. I remember when the American League played real baseball as well.

But there's too much money involved these days. We're never going back to those days.

But the Giants won, so at least we can root for Freddy Sanchez. And the Yankees are in the playoffs, even if it is as the Wild Card. Unfortunately, the Braves are in as the Wild Card. Nutz.

suddenseer
10-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Go Reds ( division winners who would not be wild cards otherwise)

NQ6U
10-03-2010, 07:39 PM
As I predicted, the Padres folded in the last few weeks of the season, going from first place to being eliminated from the playoffs by losing to the Giants this afternoon. Same old story, in other words. Being a Padres fan is a very frustrating endeavor.

KA5PIU
10-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Hello.

Baseball, a game where the players wear tights and play with a stick and balls and run around chasing each other trying to touch each other with a ball.
If there is any sort of argument whatsoever the pair have to go to this secluded spot known as a "dugout" and kiss and make out or up, or something. ;)
Damn, and this has been going on long before the gay rights movement! ;)

n2ize
10-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Hello.

Baseball, a game where the players wear tights and play with a stick and balls and run around chasing each other trying to touch each other with a ball.
If there is any sort of argument whatsoever the pair have to go to this secluded spot known as a "dugout" and kiss and make out or up, or something. ;)
Damn, and this has been going on long before the gay rights movement! ;)

What about football ? Where a bunch of guys chase each other and grab each other and pile on top of each other. Then the same bunch of guys head into the locker room together.

NQ6U
10-03-2010, 10:17 PM
What about football ? Where a bunch of guys chase each other and grab each other and pile on top of each other. Then the same bunch of guys head into the locker room together.

They pat each other on the butt a lot too. How gay is that, honey?

suddenseer
10-04-2010, 02:28 AM
They pat each other on the butt a lot too. How gay is that, honey?Now you know why I watch. I am totally unimpressed with basketball. When I was a kid, I played 2nd base. and full back, or tackle.

w2amr
10-04-2010, 03:49 AM
Go Reds ( division winners who would not be wild cards otherwise)
Don't you worry, We gonna take care of the Reds.:mrgreen:

suddenseer
10-04-2010, 05:18 AM
3358I'm not worried. I went on strike back in 1995. I have not stepped into a major league park since. until last month, I had stopped watching, or listening. I do attend minor league games. I do always root for the NL in the WS.

ad4mg
10-04-2010, 05:37 AM
Granted, they backed into the playoffs, and will likely make an early exit, but why do so many of you guys dislike Bobby Cox and the Braves? If anyone has a reason to hate them, it's me, as they pulled their AAA team out of Richmond.

I'm puzzled ...

w2amr
10-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Granted, they backed into the playoffs, and will likely make an early exit, but why do so many of you guys dislike Bobby Cox and the Braves? The same reason they hate the Yankees, they won too much. The Phillies will be next on the list.:-D

KA5PIU
10-04-2010, 06:57 AM
Hello.

American Football, baseball, it is all the same to me.
Football to me is what the American population calls Soccer.
Basket Ball? somebody took a peach basket and a Football (Soccer) ball and created a rainy day game for thugs.

W1GUH
10-04-2010, 08:06 AM

Not to mention all the tight ends and wide receivers (and I don't mean 15kc selectivity)!

W1GUH
10-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Well, it's set -- the Yanks play the Twins in the first round. Even tho' I hate Twins -- they've pretty much been the dominant team in that division over the years -- I also fear and respect them. Let's hope the Yanks' pitchers have the right stuff.

And, yea, the World Series is supposed to be played in the afternoon of golden September days!! Sigh...I HATE the BS of worrying about snow for the WS. But even when there's no snow, watching the WS when you can see the players breath (yuck!) and fans huddled in winter jackets? And, in Minneapolis with that new outside field? Brrrrrrrr....not baseball! :cry: Couldn't the at least play day games on the weekend? Sob!!!!!

But...money talks, and if it says to trash a grand tradition, well, there are plenty who will listen.

W3WN
10-04-2010, 09:31 AM

We shall see.

The Reds are proof that the Pirate's plan can work. The difference is that Cincinnatti actually puts money into acqurining, nuturing, and keeping young talent. Whereas the Pirates give lip service but put the money into the owner's pockets.

W3WN
10-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Granted, they backed into the playoffs, and will likely make an early exit, but why do so many of you guys dislike Bobby Cox and the Braves? If anyone has a reason to hate them, it's me, as they pulled their AAA team out of Richmond.

I'm puzzled ...
If you really want to know, ask my wife. It's a good thing her aim was off, or her shoe would have gone right into the TV's CRT.

ad4mg
10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
If you really want to know, ask my wife. It's a good thing her aim was off, or her shoe would have gone right into the TV's CRT.
I'm thinking the 1992 NLCS? :lol:

If I'm right, tell her I said, "Neener, Neener!":rofl:

Somewhere in this dump, I have that entire series on VHS video tape ... 8)

suddenseer
10-04-2010, 05:34 PM

Somewhere in this dump, I have that entire series on VHS video tape ... 8)It's that mother grizzley Bucos fan thing, you wouldn't understand. I have ducked a few shoes in my day.;)

W3WN
10-04-2010, 08:02 PM

* sigh * That's the one.

The ownership at the time was already preparing to dismantle the team. That was our last shot. Who knew it would be followed by 18 years of misery?

Incidentally, management fired John Russell today. They put him out of his misery after 3 years. Management even admitted that they didn't give him the tools (ie players) to win, and that he had no real chance... but, well, it's time to go in another direction. Horse pucky. This is exactly what they did to Jim Tracy... and we all saw what a ROTTEN manager he turned to be with the Rockies...

ad4mg
10-05-2010, 05:05 AM

* sigh * That's the one.

The ownership at the time was already preparing to dismantle the team. That was our last shot. Who knew it would be followed by 18 years of misery?

Incidentally, management fired John Russell today. They put him out of his misery after 3 years. Management even admitted that they didn't give him the tools (ie players) to win, and that he had no real chance... but, well, it's time to go in another direction. Horse pucky. This is exactly what they did to Jim Tracy... and we all saw what a ROTTEN manager he turned to be with the Rockies...

I have to assume that you didn't show my post to Mrs. Ron? A wise decision ... :lol:

Let me leave her with just two words, but you might consider donning a catcher's mask before telling her ...

Sid Bream.

:rofl:

Mercy!

W3WN
10-05-2010, 07:51 AM
I have to assume that you didn't show my post to Mrs. Ron? A wise decision ... :lol:

Let me leave her with just two words, but you might consider donning a catcher's mask before telling her ...

Sid Bream. :rofl:

Mercy!
No, I didn't. We were too busy talking about #7. Well, both of them, actually.

Believe it or not, nobody blames (blamed) Sid Bream. For one thing, and this was admitted, it's the Pirate's own fault he went to Atlanta. He was a free agent, the Braves made him an offer, Sid asked the Pirates to at least match it -- and he set a deadline because he had to give Atlanta an answer. The Pirates botched it by waiting too long to make the counter offer.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Leaving the starter in too long. Using the reliever one time too many (he never was forgiven). The pre-steriod jackass in left field, already planning to leave after the playoffs no matter what, with a lame throw home -- a hard throw on the money would have prevented the winning run from scoring in the bottom of the ninth, even though the game would have been tied (Bream wasn't fast enough, he would not have beaten a good throw home). To say nothing of the statistical fluke of a nobody journeyman making that one hit at the right time.

But nobody blames Bream for getting a hit and running his heart out. (Do you know he still lives in the Pittsburgh area?) That's his job, after all. Like I said before, Pirates management was already in the process of planning to break the team up, as they were running up debts. But that's another story as well.

Winning the pennant, or even the Series, in 1992 would not have saved the team or started a Pirates dynasty. It was the last hurrah, the last best chance, for the team that Syd Thrift built. And we knew it. But it was not to be.

NQ6U
10-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, if anything, the Padres 2010 season has put to rest once and for all the old baseball truism that "Good pitching beats good hitting." Not in the long term, it doesn't. If you don't score any runs, you ain't gonna win.

NQ6U
10-05-2010, 02:30 PM

I'm puzzled ...

I hate them because, as you may remember, for a long time they were in the NL West and kept beating my teams (Giants and Padres), winning a division title, then blowing it in the playoffs.

W2NAP
10-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Basket Ball? somebody took a peach basket and a Football (Soccer) ball and created a rainy day game for thugs.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

suddenseer
10-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I have never seen the Reds no hit before. That was amazing! 1 ball away from a perfect game. I root for the Reds now, but it is still awesome to see a a no hit game. I was in the park the night Tom Browing threw a perfect game for the reds. It was cold, and raining. They kept stopping for a raiin delay. I went home. Went to bed pissed off. I woke up to discover I missed out on perfect game history.

W3WN
10-06-2010, 09:17 PM
No hitters are nerve-racking, but fun to watch.

We were in the stands the night the Pirates had a 10 inning 2 pitcher no-hitter against the Astros. What I remember most about it is not realizing what was going on until about the 4th inning; I was running around getting stuff for everyone...

12 July 1997. 3 Rivers Stadium was a sell-out. The NAACP convention was in town, so most of the delegates came to the game. Only they bought their tickets right at the game, so there weren't enough concession stands open, which meant long lines and long waits. Meanwhile, we'd invited the whole family to see the game with us, so it fell on me to run around and play host. FINALLY got to sit down, look at the scoreboard, and said a big silent OH SHNIT to myself.

I still have the ticket stubs from that game, and the newspaper articles from the next morning. One of these days, when we get the basement finished, I'm going to get those framed and hung up.

The irony is that Little Miss Field Day was there for the whole game... and had no clue as to what was going on, which is funny considering what a baseball fan she is. Of course, she was a touch over a year old at the time, spent the whole game in either her mother's or her grandmother's arms. Slept a lot.

And to see Mark Smith (in the highlight of his career) break up the Astro's shutout with a 3 run pinch hit home run in the bottom of the 10th... One of these days, I'm going to have to find someone with a tape or DVD of the game and get a copy (it was broadcast on FSN Pittsburgh, but it's been a long time since they've replayed it)

I'm no fan of the Phillies, but when something like this happens, all you can do is tip your hat to the pitcher. Even if it is Roy Halladay...

W1GUH
10-08-2010, 08:28 AM
Well, about now I can FINALLY get excited about the Yanks. They've proved their mettle agains the Twins, a very strong team. But it appears, for now, that the Yanks are finally back to their rightful post-season form. Andy pitched a great game & the bats were alive.

OTOH...they are also capable of legendary collapses....like against the Red Sux a few years ago. Still...it's good to be proud to be a Yankee fan again!

W5IEI
10-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Rangers!!!

w2amr
10-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Rangers!!!They could be the surprise team in the post season.

W3WN
10-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Remember the plot of Damn Yankees?

Keep in mind... the Twinkies are the original Senators, the Rangers are the replacement Senators.