PDA

View Full Version : Never too old to learn....more about "diet" drinks.

HUGH
10-02-2010, 03:16 PM
It seems that diet drinks with artificial sweeteners can successfully fool the taste buds but not the brain. For example, after drinking an original Coke with syrup the brain will detect sugar in the bloodstream and inform the body that it's not so hungry, thereby curbing the appetite.

Artificial sweeteners don't do this and the consumer will be just as hungry afterwards. Bearing in mind that when energy is required, the first things to be burnt up are the sugars, if you indulge in something hot and greasy (steady now!) after your diet drink, will you not put on more weight than if you've had the original syrup sweetend drink because fat is only used after carbohydrates to provide energy?

N5RLR
10-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Can't fool my taste buds. If it isn't sugar, they know it. :stirpot:

NQ6U
10-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Can't fool my taste buds. If it isn't sugar, they know it. :stirpot:

Same here. The XYL uses Splenda and claims it tastes just like sugar but it don't fool me. Crap, is more like it.

KG4CGC
10-02-2010, 04:38 PM
:Chili Cheeseburger plate half and half, large Diet Coke.
:Diet Coke?
:Yeah. It cleanses the pallet.
:Why bother?

kc7jty
10-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I've known a few people who drank a min of 12 to max of 24 12 ounce cans of diet Pepsi a day! Every one of them (male and female) had a gut like beriberi.

W4RLR
10-02-2010, 07:53 PM
I've known a few people who drank a min of 12 to max of 24 12 ounce cans of diet Pepsi a day!. Every one of them (male and female) had a gut like beriberi.I found it extremely difficult to do a morning radio show without downing a six pack of Coca-Cola during an air shift. It made staying under my weight limit that much tougher. But drinking the swill that passed for coffee at the station was not an option.

KJ3N
10-02-2010, 10:26 PM
It seems that diet drinks with artificial sweeteners can successfully fool the taste buds but not the brain.

Sorry, not fooling my taste buds. :yuck:

n0iu
10-03-2010, 09:20 AM
I found it extremely difficult to do a morning radio show without downing a six pack of Coca-Cola during an air shift. It made staying under my weight limit that much tougher. But drinking the swill that passed for coffee at the station was not an option.Your radio station has a weight limit for their on-air personalities? I thought one of the great things about radio was that you didn't have to be "pretty" like on TV, you just had to have a good set of pipes!

WØTKX
10-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Used to be, I could not wake up without a "DP" and a cigarette. Usually, a Marlboro Menthol.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2537/3889338193_a7356bd423.jpg http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk164/brokken-paul/Glass%20Cola%20Bottles/DrPepper16ozGlassBottlePaulBrokken.jpg

For years, I used to drink 12-24 cans/bottles of Dr. Pepper a day. Can't stand the fake stuff.

Rarely touch sodie-pop anymore, and when I do... it's usually a root beer float.

n0iu
10-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Rarely touch sodie-pop anymore, and when I do... it's usually a root beer float.
Reminds me of that old joke.... "How do you make a dead cat float?"

kf0rt
10-03-2010, 10:49 AM
I switched to diet about 25 years ago because the real stuff will rot your teeth in no time if you drink a lot of it. Took about three days to acclimate to the difference in taste and ever since, the stuff with sugar tastes funny. I try to keep it to 1-2 cans a day these days (seems that when it's done rotting the teeth, it moves on to rotting the stomach).

Never did develop a taste for coffee. Most of the coffee drinkers I know pour scads of creamer and sweetener into it (so it won't taste so foul?). I guess a glass of milk and two No-Doz isn't as socially acceptable. Amazes me that most workplaces still give coffee away for free.

NQ6U
10-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Reminds me of that old joke.... "How do you make a dead cat float?"

Put it in a glass, add a scoop of your favorite ice cream and pour 7-Up gently down the side.

KG4CGC
10-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I guess a glass of milk and two No-Doz isn't as socially acceptable.
Last employer: Guy comes into work every night on third shift. Has school age kids and a family life and all the responsibilities and expectations of being a father. An hour into the shift he would pop a couple of NoDoz, or a Vivarin or one of the many flavors of energy drink or one of the varieties of capsules by the company that made Stingers (forget the company but they are mainstream).

Legal, OTC, sold everywhere and the guy gets labeled as a druggie. Some of the pills were a combination of amino acids, vitamins and caffeine. All the higher ups see is drug addict. A couple of guys on the floor give him a hard time about it while they down Pepsi-Max, Jolt, Red Bull etc. Well naturally this turns into rumors of something much worse. Somehow if you drink caffeine it's OK but if you take it in pill form then you're using meth and all the talk of meth labs on the news didn't help because they used "pills" to make meth.

Educated morons started a policy of no "speed pills" but the liquid stuff was OK because they drank them too. Now understand that a couple of people tried to explain that these things are perfectly legal and even in some cases contained vitamins and such. No dice. Too close to being "drug like." Don't want a bunch of pill poppers out on the floor. A culture of finger pointers all taking their cue from the head finger pointer, the VP over manufacturing. A person who never ever ever takes responsibility for her failed management decisions.

Third shift dad is now labeled a loser, druggie, undesirable and is under very close scrutiny for using caffeine in a pill form. The guy who went to the mental masturbators to tell on pill boy? He has only one testicle and a very very small penis. He just had a knack for knowing who to tell on and who to tell to.

Is there a point to my story?
Hello.

ki4itv
10-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Is there a point to my story?
Hello.

Yes. If you're going to do drugs, choose the one's your boss is doing and make sure to bring it some at least once a week.
Otherwise, don't pop your pills on the workroom floor, legal or not.

w3bny
10-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Yes. If you're going to do drugs, choose the one's your boss is doing and make sure to bring it some at least once a week.

Try shooting up in the bathroom....ok its humulin but still worth a couple-o-lulz when you announce that your gonna go shoot up.

n6hcm
10-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Try shooting up in the bathroom....ok its humulin but still worth a couple-o-lulz when you announce that your gonna go shoot up.

i do that at my desk. hardcore!

(seriously ... once i started having to do this i took a much more critical look at the washrooms at the office ... would not want to put my pen on the edge of the sink, let alone an insulin pen!)

n2ize
10-05-2010, 10:46 AM

How do you "do drugs" ? In the old days we said "take drugs" ? "Do drugs" sounds strange.

KG4CGC
10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
How do you "do drugs" ? In the old days we said "take drugs" ? "Do drugs" sounds strange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpDAkOekBAM

n2ize
10-05-2010, 01:58 PM

With a mother like that I can understand why the daughter is on the fast track.