PDA

View Full Version : Good DX from over the Pacific!

NQ6U
09-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Went to bed at 23:30 local time and stared at the ceiling for ninety minutes, so I got up and went to the radio shack. Worked a few stations in the Eastern U.S. and was just about to shut down when I started picking up strong signals from across the Pacific. Worked several stations in Japan and Australia! If you need JA or VX VK, now is the time to give it a try.

N7YA
10-01-2010, 04:53 AM
Im a night owl, i stay up until the sun comes up so i can catch those openings on 40. The advantage to that is when 40 is closing, 20 and 17 are waking up with europeans! I like catching 40 in the early evening, thats when the really good stuff to the east is strongest into the desert here. Lots of EU and AF on 40 in the late afternoon/early evening until about 0600z lately...nice, strong signals too. Later in the night on 40 is when the other, less common AS stations to the west are lurking about but my pissant signal has trouble raising them on that noisy band. My goal is to make HR with only qrp to 100w and wire antennas...mixed mode/band, of course. ;)

NQ6U
10-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I've come to the conclusion that, with only 100w and a wire antenna at 30', I'm never going to be able to work Europe much until I get my CW skills in order.

N7YA
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Nah, you can get them. EU is easiest in the early evenings from the left coast, and send however fast or slow you want to. Ive gotten all sorts of great stuff from AF and EU using only 100w and wire, nothing else. One day ill have a nice ant farm and a KW, but for now, its been just fine with the little pistol station. Go get em!

VK3ZL
10-02-2010, 07:12 PM
I am always around from 08:30Z until 1200Z on 160 meters and can also work 40 at this time...Email me if you would like a 40 meter contact at that time, I know, it's very early in the mornings for US....I can put a very good signal on 40 SSB....It would be great to contact an Islander, Hi....

Bob..VK3ZL..

W3MIV
10-03-2010, 09:46 AM
I've come to the conclusion that, with only 100w and a wire antenna at 30', I'm never going to be able to work Europe much until I get my CW skills in order.

Never say never. I have worked VK and JA from the East Coast with 100w and a wire at the same height -- actually, a bit lower and buried in leaves and branches -- so you can likely make the voyage to EU (if the damned sun ever gets its act together).

N7YA
10-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Its been picking up on the low bands lately, especially into VK/ZL and PAC. A couple of those KH6's are blowing out the front end of the rig lately too. Bob, i would enjoy a qso with you, but i can only do CW because of the setup at the house here (wife sleeps in the same room as the shack for now).

NQ6U
10-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I am always around from 08:30Z until 1200Z on 160 meters and can also work 40 at this time...Email me if you would like a 40 meter contact at that time, I know, it's very early in the mornings for US....I can put a very good signal on 40 SSB....It would be great to contact an Islander, Hi....

Bob..VK3ZL..

Bob, I'll come looking for you next time I have a sleepless night! I can't do top band but I get out okay on 40m.

KC2UGV
10-03-2010, 06:34 PM

I have an attic fan dipole, and I've gotten Europe. On PSK, not phone, however :)

NQ6U
10-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I have an attic fan dipole, and I've gotten Europe. On PSK, not phone, however :)

Yeah, but you live 2000 miles closer than I do!

KC2UGV
10-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Yeah, but you live 2000 miles closer than I do!

Yeah, but you stand a chance in hell of getting the Aussies :) :neener:

N7YA
10-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Its all about the windows and gray line terminators...and conditions, of course.

NQ6U
10-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Never say never. I have worked VK and JA from the East Coast with 100w and a wire at the same height -- actually, a bit lower and buried in leaves and branches -- so you can likely make the voyage to EU (if the damned sun ever gets its act together).

Looks like you were right, Albi. I worked a station in France on 40m PSK31 tonight.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/TPJPBHL10611.jpg

VK3ZL
10-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Its been picking up on the low bands lately, especially into VK/ZL and PAC. A couple of those KH6's are blowing out the front end of the rig lately too. Bob, i would enjoy a qso with you, but i can only do CW because of the setup at the house here (wife sleeps in the same room as the shack for now).

Hi Adam....I can work CW any time as well...If you are ever around in my time window email me and I am certain we can make it.....

Bob..VK3ZL..

N7YA
10-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Absolutely, Bob! I would enjoy that. With my work hours, i am usually relaxing until i go to bed about 6 am local...perfect time for VK/ZL and JA on 40. I am usually a CW guy, im not the cleanest fist on the air, but i have good spacing and rhythm...in other words, you would understand what im trying to send. I never use keyers or puter code, only old bugs and straight keys. Im sure we would have a good, clean qso if you can pull my pissant sig out of the mud. In the coming weeks when the dust settles around here, we should set something up, it would be fun.

VK3ZL
10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Absolutely, Bob! I would enjoy that. With my work hours, i am usually relaxing until i go to bed about 6 am local...perfect time for VK/ZL and JA on 40. I am usually a CW guy, im not the cleanest fist on the air, but i have good spacing and rhythm...in other words, you would understand what im trying to send. I never use keyers or puter code, only old bugs and straight keys. Im sure we would have a good, clean qso if you can pull my pissant sig out of the mud. In the coming weeks when the dust settles around here, we should set something up, it would be fun.

Ok Adam, Best send me an email the day before and give me a time and freq +/- .....I am used to pulling signals out of the noise on Topband so 40 meters should be a breeze....Perhaps I should make up an award for Islanders who are able to work me....Say a day's free drinks at the Island bar.:agree:

BTW during September I worked 367 US and VE contacts on Topband with a few JA and other country's tossed in for good measure...Many of these stations are first Zone 30 contacts and I always have a demand for a QSL card....I often have to work a weak call for 5 minutes to complete the contact...Not everyone has a "big gun" station there...I always get a note of thanks for persistence from those stations....That's Ham Radio for me....:yes:

Bob..VK3ZL..

N7YA
10-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Me too! Sounds great, Bob, you should be just the guy for the job. Ill set it up with you soon, maybe be the first islander for your Bar award. :) I just nailed down Market Reef for a new one early this morning so im riding high!:agree:

VK3ZL
10-05-2010, 03:15 AM
Me too! Sounds great, Bob, you should be just the guy for the job. Ill set it up with you soon, maybe be the first islander for your Bar award. :) I just nailed down Market Reef for a new one early this morning so im riding high!:agree:

Ok....I'm always available.....Bob..