PDA

View Full Version : Some Great Wedges.

n2ize
09-29-2010, 09:38 PM
On the way home I picked up a couple of wedges, (aka sandwiches, hoagys, grinders, etc..) from a nice small family owned Italian restaurant not far away. I ordered a sausage and pepper Parmesan and an eggplant parm wedge... Awesome. Served on a loaf of Italin bread, plenty of sauce, cheese and sausage, eggplant. Absolutely delicious. The guy uses a good bread and makes an excellent sauce. It's not a big or fancy restaurant. Just one of those small, little neighborhood type places that makes some great food. It's small quality neighborhood places like this that really make the experience of ordering out worthwhile.

kc7jty
09-29-2010, 10:00 PM
If that place was around here they'd go out of business in a week if they didn't "improve" their sandwiches according to the recommendations of the ass gourmets that are the norm here.

KG4CGC
09-29-2010, 10:03 PM
ass gourmets :bbh::bbh::bbh::bbh::bbh:

n2ize
09-30-2010, 10:31 PM
If that place was around here they'd go out of business in a week if they didn't "improve" their sandwiches according to the recommendations of the ass gourmets that are the norm here.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some people are so used to lousy food or, ass-gourmet food that they don't know good quality even when it's sitting on a plate right in front of them. Fortunately this guy has a lot of old time customers from the neighborhood who grew up on the good stuff.

kc7jty
10-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Fortunately this guy has a lot of old time customers from the neighborhood who grew up on the good stuff.

It's your only hope.

N9FE
10-01-2010, 12:38 PM
You all have lobster rolls on the east coast. I'd just about kill for one. Lobster is so damn expencive here theres no way we'll ever have em..

w3bny
10-04-2010, 01:40 PM
You all have lobster rolls on the east coast. I'd just about kill for one. Lobster is so damn expencive here theres no way we'll ever have em..

Let you in on a little secret...they aint that much cheaper over here either! Well...unless you live in Maine on the off season then yeah, get 2 and 3 for 1 lobster dinners.

kc7jty
10-04-2010, 11:38 PM
chix

n2ize
10-05-2010, 10:32 AM

When I used to go fishing off Long Island I used to see the lobster boats heading out early and heading in in the evening with their catch. They knew us so well they would blow their horn and wave to us. And even with all that local lobster fishing, lobster is still pretty expensive round here.

n2ize
10-05-2010, 10:35 AM
It's your only hope.

Yeah, fortunately there are still a lot of old timers and a lot of younger folk who were brought up on the good cooking around here. They recently opened a coal fired brick oven pizza resturante. If you are ever in Yonkers check out Pepe's pizzeria on Central Avenue for great... awesome... coal fired brick oven pizza or, Capri Pizzeria on Lockwood Ave for some great Italian wedges and dishes. Also, Dom and Vinnie's for some great Italian food. And, if your in the Bronx (da Bronx) check out The Pine tavern... If they still make a "Zuppa di Pesce" like they did years ago it's out of this world. Also, If you're in Brooklyn or Manhattan check out Totonnos for an awesome coal fired brick oven pie. There are still some really great Italian resturants out here, still making stuff like they did in the old days. And guaranteed, no ass-gourmet's in the places I mentioned.

W4RLR
10-07-2010, 12:06 AM
What I would do for a roast beef grinder from a little shop down the street from my fraternity house in West Hartford. There's just something about that toasty bread, the melted cheese, and the hot roast beef.

I could also go for a Sonny's cheese steak hoagie. Sliced steak grilled in oil and sauteed onions. Sonny's is a little hole in the wall in Hollywood, Florida that is about three blocks from where I used to live. It's been there about as long as I have been alive. Sonny's son John runs the place now, when they did a tease for the shop during "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives", I knew it had to be Sonny's before Guy Fieri mentioned it.

N2CHX
10-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Now these..... These are great wedges.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/wendicsm/AldoWedges.jpg

WØTKX
10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
http://0.tqn.com/d/figureskating/1/0/o/W/-/-/wedge9.jpg

kc7jty
10-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I can hear the fingers working all the harp strings...

kc7jty
10-07-2010, 03:34 PM
In the 60s & early to mid 70s we used to get hoagies in the Delaware county area of suburban Philadelphia. They always conformed to very strict ways of making with some variations in the cheese (either white square American, or provolone) Salami (cooked, or dry Italian) and ham (boiled, pepper, or Italian, which was Cappacola, or sometimes Prociutto). Lettuce, onion, fresh sliced tomatoes, and olive oil with dried oregano rounded out the bill.
Nowadays you can't get a real hoagie there to save your @ss.
There might be a few places in the entire metro Philly area where they still make them but who has the years to find them?

The most common hoagie now is turkey breast or roast beef with mayo and maybe mustard. Everything has gone to hell.

I sometimes purchase the ingredients, at at least 5 or 6 different sources, and make the old fashioned hoagies when I'm there. To make 4 the ingredients cost about $30/35.

They are so good with a few Pilsners.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/5775/24336219.png

n2ize
10-07-2010, 07:01 PM
In Philly they are hoagies. Around here they are wedges. Upstate they are grinders. In some places they are subs. And, in some places they are still called sandwiches.

n2ize
10-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Now these..... These are great wedges.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/wendicsm/AldoWedges.jpg

And, if caught underneath them they are called "grinders"... LOL

kc7jty
10-07-2010, 08:41 PM
I've seen them called zeppelins & torpedos. Only the original Philly hoagie uses oil and oregano.
Another excellent item is the Muffaletta in New Orleans with the olive tapenade.

W1GUH
10-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Careful, John. Don't let mayor mike hear you say stuff like that. Don't you realilze that those are the shops that are no longer welcome in NY? For gopod's sake, they don't have the deep pockets of the national chains to line hizonnor's pockets with. That place should be turned into a Subway or Quizno's.

All sarcasm, of course. Not only do those shops sell outstanding food at really nice prices, the people working there become like family after a few visits!

W5GA
10-14-2010, 08:57 PM
You East coast guys may have the wedges, but ya gotta come this way for decent barbeque. :stirpot:

W5RB
10-14-2010, 09:46 PM
On the way home I picked up a couple of wedges, (aka sandwiches, hoagys, grinders, etc..) from a nice small family owned Italian restaurant not far away. I ordered a sausage and pepper Parmesan and an eggplant parm wedge... Awesome. Served on a loaf of Italin bread, plenty of sauce, cheese and sausage, eggplant. Absolutely delicious. The guy uses a good bread and makes an excellent sauce. It's not a big or fancy restaurant. Just one of those small, little neighborhood type places that makes some great food. It's small quality neighborhood places like this that really make the experience of ordering out worthwhile.

Too far for delivery , but when I was there in '95 , these people had the best sub that ever crossed my palate . Bread unlike I found anywhere in NY , soft , not chewy , and generous portions for an unbelievably fair price . Worth a drive sometime just to check out . We'd eat 'em on a park bench a few blocks away , lookin' at the beach .
http://www.zambonisdeli.com/

n2ize
10-19-2010, 10:29 AM
You East coast guys may have the wedges, but ya gotta come this way for decent barbeque. :stirpot:

Oh yes... I remember when I was down south having some of the best barbecue imaginable. I can just imagine it gets even better out in your neck of the woods. Sounds awesome. I love good barbecue.

n2ize
10-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Too far for delivery , but when I was there in '95 , these people had the best sub that ever crossed my palate . Bread unlike I found anywhere in NY , soft , not chewy , and generous portions for an unbelievably fair price . Worth a drive sometime just to check out . We'd eat 'em on a park bench a few blocks away , lookin' at the beach .
http://www.zambonisdeli.com/

Sounds good. Gotta try them one day.