PDA

View Full Version : Gorram! ^&%$*& DAMN!!

KC2UGV
09-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Soldering here, and I had to switch hands. So, pass it under the antenna leads, feed the power wire for the iron, put it into my other hand, and...

CRAP!!@#!!#$*&^@$(*&!#!@#!@!!!!ELEVEN!!1

Somehow, I passed the iron in between my index finger and middle finger, grabbing a hold of it nice and tight with my knuckles.

Thank god for Aloe plants...

W3WN
09-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Ouch!

N2CHX
09-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Heh, done stuff like that a million times. First soldering iron burn was when I was about 8 years old. I have the scar on the bottom of my foot to prove it.

kc7jty
09-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Soldering with the feet is skill few possess.

K7SGJ
09-29-2010, 08:13 PM
You ever solder while wearing shorts and have some hot solder roll off the tip onto your inside upper leg? And when your instinct tells you to brush it off, it triples the burn area.

N2CHX
09-29-2010, 08:15 PM

LOL, actually it was simply that I had the soldering iron on the floor and proceeded to step on it. I was young and dumb, what can I say? :p

KC2UGV
09-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Heh, done stuff like that a million times. First soldering iron burn was when I was about 8 years old. I have the scar on the bottom of my foot to prove it.

You ever solder while wearing shorts and have some hot solder roll off the tip onto your inside upper leg? And when your instinct tells you to brush it off, it triples the burn area.

Both of those beat me...

KG4CGC
09-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Heal of hand, age 10.
May be too late now but for future note, there is burn spray with topical anesthetic. Works good.

N7RJD
09-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Somehow, I passed the iron in between my index finger and middle finger, grabbing a hold of it nice and tight with my knuckles.

First rule of soldering. It's a soldering iron, not a cigarette. The whole thing is hot, not just the end.

KA5PIU
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Hello.

I do very well with the soldering iron.
My adopted father, hay, not my choice, souls have been forbidden from anything electric.
He got a chandelier cheap and decided to install it.
I make sure that the light switch is off, and remove the fuse.
There are 2 ceiling fixtures on this one switch and he wants the other one on so he can see what he is doing.
Yes, he shorts out the wiring, but he got that chandelier up.

The 2 idiots, yes, that is what they were, decide to buy a smaller window A/C unit, but the plug is wrong!.
Ever see what happens to a 110 AC window unit in 220?

They decide to go ahead and buy a 220 unit after all.
They choose not to mount this unit with the provided brackets on the outside.
It ran for something like a week before it broke through the window.

But, the all time best was then they bought a soldering kit.
Now I can understand an average soldering iron, but an American Beauty?!.
Somehow he gets it hot, a miracle into itself, and touches a circuit on a 110 to 220 transformer that needed its socket changed.
Rule number one, unplug whatever you are working on!.
For whatever reason he end up grabbing hold of said transformer, dropping the soldering iron in his lap.
He is sitting there screaming as he is being both cooked and shocked.

We had a hedge, the OM (grandfather) wanted people to not see the heavy equipment from the street.
Normally I would trim the hedge but he wanted to impress the OM, so he cuts the cord with the trimmer.
Yes, please unplug the cord prior to attempting any repairs!

Disclaimer!
At no time was he ever allowed to operate heavy equipment!

w2amr
09-30-2010, 03:50 AM
I always enjoy soldering. I just put GPS trackers in all of the cars in our rental fleet. The manufacturer includes crimp connectors in the
kit, but I soldered all of the connections then used heat shrink tubing instead. Never have to worry about bad connections.

suddenseer
09-30-2010, 04:26 AM
$10 clamp system,allows both hands, flux, good solder, tin the tip, no time limit. I just ass kissed my way to the hot air soldering system, with magnifying video. This system can solder .014" diameter. I can now do surface mount technology, with my bad eyesight. Of course off the clock at work.

NQ6U
09-30-2010, 05:49 AM

Yeah, most of us hams save our feet for peeling bananas.

KG4CGC
09-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeah, most of us hams save our feet for peeling bananas.
...and breaking it off in some ... --- -- . / .- ... ... .... .- - ... / .- ... ...

w2amr
09-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah, most of us hams save our feet for peeling bananas.And hanging on to branches.

N2CHX
09-30-2010, 02:58 PM
...and breaking it off in some ... --- -- . / .- ... ... .... .- - ... / .- ... ...

Whoa!

NQ6U
09-30-2010, 03:06 PM

Have a hard night, Charles? ;)

N2CHX
09-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Have a hard night, Charles? ;)

His banana did, at least. :rofl:

NQ6U
09-30-2010, 03:37 PM
His banana did, at least. :rofl:

Hey--when a man's banana has a hard night, so does the man!

KG4CGC
09-30-2010, 03:40 PM
What? You've never heard the term, "I'm going to break my foot off in your a$$ if you don't etc etc etc?" Paul Senior from OCC fame brought it back into vogue after Red Foreman talk of making Eric and Kelso "wear your a$$ as a hat."