PDA

View Full Version : Hot Toddy... ??

n2ize
09-27-2010, 08:50 PM
What is a "Hot Toddy" ? These girls in a drug store today were wondering what it is ? I told them that it I think it is an alcoholic drink, generally served warm or hot. If I recall a mix of apple cider, liquor, and cinnamon. I also mentioned that it was a nickname for a young woman when I was in college. But I didn't go into detail about that. They laughed.

WØTKX
09-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Ask your girlfriend Sarah? :dunno:

KG4CGC
09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
I believe the drink described by the OP is also one of the many versions of wassail.
A toddy is more along the lines of something to drink for a cold or such.

1 tbsp honey
3/4 glass tea
2 shots brandy
1 slice lemon

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 10:13 PM
From da Wikipedia:

Hot toddy is a name given to a mixed drink, usually including alcohol, that is served hot. Hot toddies (such as mulled cider) are traditionally drunk before going to bed, or in wet and/or cold weather. They were believed to help cure the cold and flu, but the American Lung Association now recommends avoiding treating the common cold with alcoholic beverages as they cause dehydration.

Traditional Scottish recipe: Pour a shot of Whisky into a cup or mug, add boiling water to it. Add a spoonful of honey or sugar. Add a half slice of lemon, 2 cloves and, if you have one, a cinnamon stick. Let it brew for 3–5 minutes.

Depending on preference, you can remove the cloves and cinnamon stick before drinking, although leaving them in is often said to make a toddy even better for clearing a blocked nose and relieving a head cold.

W5RB
09-28-2010, 09:11 AM
And in a barely related tangent from the Ole Miss fan site , the well-known classic cheer , perhaps related to the drink , I dunno .

Are you ready? Hell yes! Damn Right!
Hotty Toddy, Gosh almighty
Who in the hell are we - Hey
Flim Flam, Bim Bam
Ole Miss By Damn!

W3MIV
09-28-2010, 09:55 AM
I believe the name "toddy" is a corruption of "tot" -- which is the old English slang (esp naval slang) for a ration of liquor, usually rum. Hot toddies can be compounded from virtually any whiskey, brandy or rum, and, as our trusted barman notes, usually include honey, lemon and spices such as cinnamon, clove, nutmeg or anise.

Sissy drink. Damn cinnamon sticks will put your eye out, like those damned umbrellas, and who needs to muck up good booze with a load of sweet crap? Grow a pair and drink it neat. Want it hot?, have at it, but don't dilute it with a lot of girlie gewgaws.

WØTKX
09-28-2010, 10:17 AM
http://www.austria-pur.at/faakersee/images/disco/Jagatee%20vol.9.jpg

W3MIV
09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
Sehr interessant.

kc7jty
09-28-2010, 04:18 PM
It's Scotch, also with a pat of butter on it. Always drank by the Scots for a cold.
First thing my Scotch grandmother said when she learned one had a cold, "make a hot toddy".

kc7jty
09-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Sehr interessant.

Muy interesante

KG4CGC
09-28-2010, 05:40 PM
A wee dram then?

ki4itv
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
And in a barely related tangent from the Ole Miss fan site , the well-known classic cheer , perhaps related to the drink , I dunno .
Ole Miss By Damn!
:agree:

Had some GREAT times in Oxford. Nice place, almost as nice as Natchez.

n2ize
09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Ask your girlfriend Sarah? :dunno:

Sarah and I are not going together anymore, ever since she dumped me for Glenn Beck. I'm now searching for that librarian of my dreams. LOL

n2ize
09-28-2010, 05:59 PM
From da Wikipedia:

Okay, so a Hot Toddy was sort of like a hombrew version of NyQuil...Only better. :) In the event of a cold or flu I'll bet it would go good with a tad of laudanum and and a good dreamy nights sleep.

In high school there was a girl in one of my classes who had a thing for codeine-ated cold remedies. I once asked her what she likes about them. She responded... it's so...so... dreamy.

NQ6U
09-28-2010, 06:14 PM
In the event of a cold or flu I'll bet it would go good with a tad of laudanum

Everything goes good with a tad of laudanum. And even if it doesn't, you won't care.

n2ize
09-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Everything goes good with a tad of laudanum. And even if it doesn't, you won't care.

Ah yes. Just ask Thomas de Quincey

kc7jty
09-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Sounds like a Valium and Demerol mix.

AA0CX
09-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Boiling hot water. Add rum to taste (I like a 1-1 rum/water mix). I teaspoon honey. Stir. BIG pat of butter on top. I drink it when I have a cold, or just want to mellow out.

I'm sure others have better recipies, but this suffices for me. Generally, one cup and it's night-night.

It beats the cough-syrup addiction that one friend of mine had, he woofed down one snort every night, at bedtime. It was the codeine-laced kind. This was in the old Navy days, when we were corpsman and my friend had a connection in the hospital pharmacy.
I settled for a can or two of warm Oly. Or, in a pinch, Ranier.

kc7jty
09-28-2010, 07:02 PM
A wee dram then?

That was always how it started...but once the opened bottle was on the table and asses were comfortably parked in close proximity thereto the wee dram became a good to the last drop'er.

kc7jty
09-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Boiling hot water. Add rum to taste (I like a 1-1 rum/water mix). I teaspoon honey. Stir. BIG pat of butter on top. I drink it when I have a cold, or just want to mellow out.

I'm sure others have better recipies, but this suffices for me. Generally, one cup and it's night-night.

That's hot buttered rum. A Toddy has to be hot tea, honey, and whisky for the base. The lemon juice and butter were optional.

AA0CX
09-28-2010, 07:11 PM
That's hot buttered rum. A Toddy has to be hot tea, honey, and whisky for the base. The lemon juice and butter were optional.

Oh! :)

W3MIV
09-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Ah yes. Just ask Thomas de Quincey

Or John Books.

W3MIV
09-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Muy interesante

Bueno.