PDA

View Full Version : The Eagle Has Landed... In TN

W3WN
09-27-2010, 09:47 AM
At the Ten-Tec hamfest this weekend (and now I'm sorry that I passed up W3WH's offer to take a long drive with him to TN), the company introduced a new HF radio, the Eagle (Model 599)

It has the same physical footprint as the recently discontinued Argonaut V rig. It runs 5 to 100 W output adjustable, selectable roofing filters, built-inauto tuner, full QSK (of course), and loads more.

Of special note is that it will be using a USB port for computer access, and it will include 6 meters.

Pricing will begin at $1800. The unit is presently awaiting FCC certification (what we used to call "type acceptance" and the word is that as soon as it has the FCC's blessing, the Eagle will go on sale.

A copy of the Ten-Tec brochure can be found here: http://www.myrockport.com/Eagle_Brochure.pdf

And there is already a Yahoo group set up for those interested: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TenTec_Eagle/

W5RB
09-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Now on the TenTec website , also .
http://www.tentec.com/
http://tentec.com/img/promo/599_Eagle.jpg

N2CHX
09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Now accepting donations to the "Help N2KKM Update Her Rig" fund drive :yes:

kf0rt
09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Not enough knobs.

W5RB
09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
The inclusion of a zero IF is interesting . Puzzling choice of 2nd IF , and making AM and FM optional .

N2CHX
09-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Not enough knobs.

Perfect.

PA5COR
09-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Needs more knobs.
With the new Kenwood in the works i have too see it selling well.
Time will tell...

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Seems rather light on features for an $1800 radio. I think I'd go for an SDR instead.

KG4CGC
09-27-2010, 01:16 PM
I'll stick with my Corsair. That Eagle lacks a direct entry number pad which is a must for all modern rigs. The display is cool though. Blue is always cool. Just needs an analog meter.

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 01:18 PM
I'll stick with my Corsair. That Eagle lacks a direct entry number pad which is a must for all modern rigs. The display is cool though. Blue is always cool. Just needs an analog meter.

And more knobs.

KG4CGC
09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
And more knobs.
Well, it needs more knobs.
"They took our knerbs!"

PA5COR
09-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Just looked up some specs.
It doesn’t have transverter output, No IF port for a spectrum scope
either, no speech processor (equal to 5-6 dB), no second antenna port,
antenna tuner does not tune at 6 m, antenna tuner has no memories, no am
and no fm without additional filters, user interface more like a mobile
rig, NR with less functions and probably not as powerful, NB as an
option, lower sensitivity, specs say less dynamic range, no Quick
Memories etc.

The Bald Eagle has left the building ;-)

Ooops...

W5RB
09-27-2010, 02:53 PM

The pix indicate that the display can do several colors .

http://www.tentec.com/images/184t.jpg

http://www.tentec.com/images/183t.jpg

http://www.tentec.com/images/182t.jpg

W6EM
09-27-2010, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=KG4CGC;268561]....That Eagle lacks a direct entry number pad which is a must for all modern rigs.....[qUOTE]

And, the IC-7000 has one??

Besides, DEKs are fun PIC projects anyway. When you don't want them taking up space, you throw them in a drawer....

kf0rt
09-27-2010, 03:05 PM
....That Eagle lacks a direct entry number pad which is a must for all modern rigs.....

Besides, DEKs are fun PIC projects anyway. When you don't want them taking up space, you throw them in a drawer....

Can't you do direct entry on the microphone keypad on the IC-7K?

W6EM
09-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Ooops...

Yup, they got a dose of "severe-ville," and sounds like its deserved..... Don't they think hams look at specs and features? There are other US manufacturers, if someone is hung up on buy-American.

No match for a Flex or K-3, at $1800 a copy. Ouch.

KG4CGC
09-27-2010, 03:09 PM
[QUOTE=KG4CGC;268561]....That Eagle lacks a direct entry number pad which is a must for all modern rigs.....[qUOTE]

The Icom 7000 is a mobile rig. I don't think the Eagle was designed primarily as a mobile but I suppose if you are driving an RV then OK.
Looks like TT laid an egg and what they hatched is more like a turkey vs an eagle.

W6EM
09-27-2010, 03:10 PM

Don't know, as I don't own one. I have fat fingers anyway.

W2NAP
09-27-2010, 03:53 PM
it has hardly any knobs!

KG4CGC
09-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Heard a couple guys on 80 talking about this rig. Actually they were just repeating talk that they heard, just like I am doing now. Apparently, the Eagle is supposed to be a K3 killer and that next year Kenwood is going to reveal a K3 killer.
I hear a lot of guys on 718's these days. I can't tell the difference until it is mentioned. You can tell the differences in the big old Kenwoods on the air but mostly, radios out of the box mostly sound alike. Mostly.

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 04:15 PM

I checked--you can.

kf0rt
09-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I checked--you can.

Thought so... I've got one of those around here somewhere. :mrgreen:

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Thought so... I've got one of those around here somewhere. :mrgreen:

Nice rig.

If, as I fear, I'm forced back into OTR truck driving, I will probably sell off pretty much my entire shack to buy an IC-7000 and High Sierra HS-1800.

W3WN
09-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Just looked up some specs.
It doesn’t have transverter output, No IF port for a spectrum scope
either, no speech processor (equal to 5-6 dB), no second antenna port,
antenna tuner does not tune at 6 m, antenna tuner has no memories, no am
and no fm without additional filters, user interface more like a mobile
rig, NR with less functions and probably not as powerful, NB as an
option, lower sensitivity, specs say less dynamic range, no Quick
Memories etc.

Ooops...
It is a mobile rig.

KG4CGC
09-27-2010, 07:44 PM
It is a mobile rig.
Dimensions (HxWxD): 2.9" x 8.5" x 10.25" (excluding knobs and connectors)
Ah, I see.
http://www.tentec.com/index.php?id=360

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 07:49 PM
It is a mobile rig.

That excuses a lot of it's shortcomings but not the price. A K3 could just as easily be used mobile and has a lot more going for it. And last time I checked, an IC-7000 was "only" about $1200 (and an IC-706, if you can still find one new, is only about $900). Sure, the Ten-Tec probably has a better receiver but than either of the Icom rigs but I'm still not sure it's worth the extra cost for a mobile unit.

W3WN
09-27-2010, 08:57 PM
That excuses a lot of it's shortcomings but not the price. A K3 could just as easily be used mobile and has a lot more going for it. And last time I checked, an IC-7000 was "only" about $1200 (and an IC-706, if you can still find one new, is only about $900). Sure, the Ten-Tec probably has a better receiver but either of the Icom rigs but I'm still not sure it's worth the extra cost for a mobile unit.
C'mon guys. The radio hasn't officially hit the market yet, and already we have to shatner on it?

Yes, it's more expensive than the IC-7000. And we all know why. Manufacturing costs are lower overseas, in large part due to low salaries paid to workers and to currency fluctuations that do not favor the dollar compared to other currencies.

Do you want Ten-Tec (and Elecraft and Flex and whomever is left) to ship all of their manufacturing overseas? Or go out of business altogether?

There are also intangibles to figure in. If I need a part, I can call Ten-Tec on the phone, and as long as the part is available, I'll have it in a couple of days. If I need service, within reason, I can ship the rig to them and have it back in a very reasonable period of time under most circumstances. Or I can personally hand deliver it to the factory -- and in some cases have it back in a day or three. To say nothing that if I buy a new rig, and dislike it for any reason (or no reason), I can return it for a full refund on the purchase. Can you say ANY of that with the overseas manufacturers?

Is the radio perfect? No. Is it all things to all people? No. Is it the latest and greatest thing since sliced bread? No. Never said it was.

But geez! Isn't it just a bit early to bury the rig? Give it a chance already!

KG4CGC
09-27-2010, 09:41 PM
I'm sure it's a fine radio, Ron. I'm curious about a 0 IF.

W5RB
09-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Motorola was using the zero IF in cellphones when I was with them in 2001 . You mix the previous IF stage with it's fundamental freq , and the output is your audio . It's an IF , and it's the detector , as well . Dunno the finer points of the engineering , but I thought it was a slick trick when they told us about it .

W3MIV
10-04-2010, 07:26 PM
The pix indicate that the display can do several colors .

http://www.tentec.com/images/184t.jpg

http://www.tentec.com/images/183t.jpg

http://www.tentec.com/images/182t.jpg

Oh, hell, that's a deal-clincher.

W3MIV
10-04-2010, 07:28 PM
C'mon guys. The radio hasn't officially hit the market yet, and already we have to shatner on it?

Yes, it's more expensive than the IC-7000. And we all know why. Manufacturing costs are lower overseas, in large part due to low salaries paid to workers and to currency fluctuations that do not favor the dollar compared to other currencies.

Do you want Ten-Tec (and Elecraft and Flex and whomever is left) to ship all of their manufacturing overseas? Or go out of business altogether?

There are also intangibles to figure in. If I need a part, I can call Ten-Tec on the phone, and as long as the part is available, I'll have it in a couple of days. If I need service, within reason, I can ship the rig to them and have it back in a very reasonable period of time under most circumstances. Or I can personally hand deliver it to the factory -- and in some cases have it back in a day or three. To say nothing that if I buy a new rig, and dislike it for any reason (or no reason), I can return it for a full refund on the purchase. Can you say ANY of that with the overseas manufacturers?

Is the radio perfect? No. Is it all things to all people? No. Is it the latest and greatest thing since sliced bread? No. Never said it was.

But geez! Isn't it just a bit early to bury the rig? Give it a chance already!

Did I hear Kate Smith singing in the background as you typed this?

NQ6U
10-04-2010, 07:40 PM

It ain't over 'til...well, you know.

W3WN
10-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Kate Smith?
Do I look like a Flyers fan? Feh!

kb2vxa
10-07-2010, 01:19 PM
More like a Yankees fan. She used to sing in the 7th inning over Yankee Stadium but her tether broke and she floated away. She was last seen somewhere over the ocean white with foam, Kate that is, not the ocean.

W3WN
10-07-2010, 10:21 PM
More like a Yankees fan. She used to sing in the 7th inning over Yankee Stadium but her tether broke and she floated away. She was last seen somewhere over the ocean white with foam, Kate that is, not the ocean.
You're getting reality confused with a Harry Potter movie.

WØTKX
11-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Well, Rob at Sherwood Engineering has some interesting comments on the Interwebs, as always. The Eagle is pretty strong on specs, it's like the meaty bits of the Orion with a lot of stuff preset... less knobs and features. I'd been dreaming of an Omni VII, but I like this radio. Excellent computer control and a simple front panel. Killer front end with crystal filters and well developed IF DSP after that. A Ten Tec habit. It's pretty damn small too.

I'm honestly intrigued. Perhaps it is more of a competitor to the TS-590, rather than the K3. And the hints that this is a new style or family of radios from Ten Tec are interesting.

:clap:

KG4CGC
11-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Night before last, I heard a bunch of OFs on 160m dogging Ten Tec radios and the company and the other people in the group were eating it up.
They used every foul name and dirty trick in the book to accomplish their dirty deeds including to mention that TT does not honor warranties or work on their gear. Everything completely opposite of TT's reputation. They all lived in Tennessee and Kentucky so I'm wondering what their motives were.

I guess if the ringleader couldn't have a TT radio, he didn't want anyone else to have one either.

KG4CGC
11-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, Rob at Sherwood Engineering has some interesting comments on the Interwebs, as always. The Eagle is pretty strong on specs, it's like the meaty bits of the Orion with a lot of stuff preset... less knobs and features. I'd been dreaming of an Omni VII, but I like this radio. Excellent computer control and a simple front panel. Killer front end with crystal filters and well developed IF DSP after that. A Ten Tec habit. It's pretty damn small too.

I'm honestly intrigued. Perhaps it is more of a competitor to the TS-590, rather than the K3. And the hints that this is a new style or family of radios from Ten Tec are interesting.

:clap:
Keep your eyes on the prize. Go for the big rig!

WØTKX
11-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Night before last, I heard a bunch of OFs on 160m dogging Ten Tec radios and the company and the other people in the group were eating it up.
They used every foul name and dirty trick in the book to accomplish their dirty deeds including to mention that TT does not honor warranties or work on their gear. Everything completely opposite of TT's reputation. They all lived in Tennessee and Kentucky so I'm wondering what their motives were.

I guess if the ringleader couldn't have a TT radio, he didn't want anyone else to have one either.

Yes, and I've heard it too. But they do have an excellent test drive policy, some who complained loudest got their money back and still bitch. True Story. There were some rough times with the Orion I, and they had some dogs in the past, like the 6N2. But many of their rigs have superb RX performance. And a used Orion I is a damn cool radio for the money, now.

Sherwood Engineering... http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

P.S. OF's never get on my case for using the TS-850. :lol:

W3WN
11-17-2010, 08:36 PM
I've run into these types before. When I worked at Westech Electronics, back when Ten-Tec still had a dealer network, we had a local who passed up on no opportunity to trash Ten-Tec equipment. Didn't matter the make, model, or condition... as far as he was concerned, the equipment was garbage. Period.

I used to hate it when he was in the store. I can think of a few sales he personally killed off because of the way he'd rag on T-T. I didn't have the authority to ask him to leave the store... but the owner finally did just that.

This guy also took personal delight in destroying the reputation of the original analog Argosy and the digital Argosy II. He convinced people that Ten-Tec were liars, and that the radio was built in Mexico, not Tennessee. His "proof" was that (a) neither the box or the unit said "Made in USA" -- which was not legally required; and (b) some of the chips inside were marked "made in Mexico," ergo, so was the entire radio.

Anyway... there is an entire sub-culture out there to this day that trashes Ten-Tec. And Elecraft and Flex for that matter. Some of it also comes from the dealers of competitive gear. I've heard this happen at Dayton. Why? Because they make money selling the competition (mainly on the accessories not the actual radios), so if you buy one of the American 3, they make bupkus.

There used to be a ham who'd post complaint upon complaint on eHam. If you dug into the stories, though, you'd find out this guy had purchased several radios, returned ALL of them within 30 days, and then sometimes repurchased the same model a few months later. TT finally told him "enough!" and refused to sell him another radio. That's when his rants started.

Then there's an expatriate US ham in Thailand. He doesn't like me much anymore... anyway, he's another complainer. Found out that HIS story was that he had an amplifier severely damaged in a lightning strike, and he got upset when he was told it would cost too much to repair... especially since the warranty had expired years ago. But he felt that it should be fixed or replaced for free. Before I found out his full story, I tried to get him some help, and everyone (non TT employees) who tried to assist got rebuffed. Oh, and he used his K4 call in most of these tales, and didn't mention that he and what was left of the amp were overseas. He expected TT to pay for shipping, too. Both ways.

Has every radio Ten-Tec has ever made been perfect? Of course not. They've had some dogs. So has everyone else. But somehow, TT gets held to an unreasonably higher standard by these twits.

WØTKX
11-17-2010, 08:47 PM
I loved my PM2, a gift from an Elmer. Little booger went to scout camp with me, ran off of D cells. I had the tuner and swr meter too. Wish I still had it. QRP before it was popular.

N8YX
11-18-2010, 11:25 AM
The Omni VI+ and Paragon II are among Ten-Tec's finest efforts, as are the Orion II and RX-340.

Wanna throw stones at other U.S. and Japanese-built equipment? Here goes:

1) EVERY Kenwood HF transceiver of the late 80s to mid 90s was (and is) prone to VCO/PLL unlock issues, these caused by hygroscopic potting compounds or vibration-dampening foam which were placed in contact with the VCO components, PCB foil, etc.

2) An offering from Collins which in the early 80s cost $6300 stripped (no options whatsoever included). According to at least one ex-Cedar Rapids employee whom I know, the thing absolutely sucked WRT phase noise.

3) Certain models of Kenwood transceivers which utilized through-hole construction had a big problem with cold solder joints.

4) Certain models of Kenwood transceivers which utilized SMT construction had an even bigger problem with cold solder joints, and the home repairman sometimes couldn't remedy them.

5) More VCO fun in the form of failing trimmer capacitors which would result in a "warbling" characteristic being imparted to the transmitted and received signal.

6) Embedded CPU firmware which was contained in (of all things) volatile storage.

I could go on.

Most of these deficiencies can be fixed by the determined tinkerer, though Kenwood really screwed the pooch with the TS-950 line and its inherent SMT/cold solder fiasco. Supposedly they got 'em all but one never knows.

NQ6U
11-18-2010, 12:21 PM
The Omni VI+ and Paragon II are among Ten-Tec's finest efforts, as are the Orion II and RX-340.

Wanna throw stones at other U.S. and Japanese-built equipment? Here goes:[...]

Don't forget about Icom's brass bushing feedthroughs on some of their early double-sided circuit boards.

N8YX
11-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Don't forget about Icom's brass bushing feedthroughs on some of their early double-sided circuit boards.
Icom used so many questionable engineering practices in the past that I wonder how they ever hit such home runs as the IC-756 Pro, -706 and -7000.

Wait wut? The 756 has an unobtanium LCD display and the two mobiles run their RF PA driver transistor near its maximums without adequate cooling ??!!?? :shock:

I think I'll stick to my recent -751A acquisition(s). The BBRAM issue can be fixed via Piexx, WillCo or Nardo and the VCO trimmer issue (if it ever arises) can be fixed by Digikey, 'YX and a soldering iron.

ETA:

Add this and you have an instant band-change 500-700w rig:

http://swap.qth.com/segamida/thumb_861689.jpg

I still want a K3, panadapter and KPA-500, though.

NQ6U
11-18-2010, 12:34 PM
My IC-736 is a sweet little radio.

W5IEI
11-18-2010, 02:18 PM
My IC-736 is a sweet little radio.

Next time we meet on the air,I'll try to be running my Orion II.
Mike

W3WN
11-18-2010, 08:42 PM
I loved my PM2, a gift from an Elmer. Little booger went to scout camp with me, ran off of D cells. I had the tuner and swr meter too. Wish I still had it. QRP before it was popular.
I had a PM-2B in the mid-to-late 80's. Nice little rig, all things considered. Unfortunately for me, I got talked into loaning it to a friend (who was & still is a Novice) when she moved to DC for a job. When I finally got it back a few years later, it needed some repairs.

Repaired it, ended up selling (on CompuServe's HamNet) it to a dentist in upstate NY -- who complained that it didn't work. Told him I hadn't cashed the check yet, so just send it back and I'd return the check. A year later, I came across the stale check. Got ahold of him, and he'd conveniently forgotten about the whole thing, and "couldn't find" the rig. So I got a replacement check -- and immediately cashed it (and waited for it to clear before I returned the stale check to him)

Picked up another PM-2B about a year ago. It's been modified, one of these days I'm going to have to find a new (non hacked up) front panel to restore it. But it works!

Also had an Atlas 110 for awhile. Didn't know at the time how rare that rig is... it's the RX-110 receiver with a TX-110 exciter (uses the receiver VFO for full transceive). Nice, solid 10 watts out. There was an Atlas tech in Erie at the time, I tried to get the board to build the 100 W amp from him, but somehow he never had one... but he'd build me one. Had a lot of fun with that radio, but I let the (now) ex talk me into selling it. Wish I could get that one back.

W3WN
11-18-2010, 08:45 PM
< snip>
Don't forget the Corsair & Corsair II -- for their era & equipment class.

I enjoyed operating W3WH's Orion (1) when he had it, even though I never used most of the features. I would love to see what the Omni VII and now the Eagle are like, I hear a lot of good things. Not that I'd turn down an Orion or Orion II, but they have features I won't use... and the Omni VII has both 6 meters AND the capability for full remote control via Ethernet.

Anytime we ever manage to make a sked, you have your choice of rigs to listen to... the Corsair II or the Omni VI+. I plan to keep these for a long time... I sure hope I'm never forced by circumstances to sell off the shack again!