PDA

View Full Version : Moving up the rum list: Zaya Gran Reserva

W3MIV
09-26-2010, 07:28 PM
This is strictly for sipping. Twelve years in used Kentucky bourbon barrels, blended by masters. This stuff is precious.

Deep, honey color and a wonderful nose that hints of vanilla beans and chocolate, of almonds and, maybe even a bit of apple. On the palette this stuff is awesome, smooth and velvety, almost buttery, with a strong presence of caramel and brown sugar. No burn at all, despite the 80 proof. Smoother than fine silk. It begs to be sipped neat, but I shall resort to a cube or two only to try it.

Pricey. My local Mafioso gets $42 for the 750ml.

Once a product of Guatemala, I believe, it is now being distilled and blended in Trinidad.

KC2UGV
09-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Stick a shot glass, or whiskey glass; in the freezer. Pour into it, rather than adding ice. The glass will keep the drink cool enough, long enough for you to enjoy it without bruising it with the ice when it melts.

W3MIV
09-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Stick a shot glass, or whiskey glass; in the freezer. Pour into it, rather than adding ice. The glass will keep the drink cool enough, long enough for you to enjoy it without bruising it with the ice when it melts.

No. The point will be to taste it on ice, not merely chilled. Some rums handle ice with aplomb, others not so nobly. Try, for example, three fingers of Pusser's Royal Navy in a jelly glass with two cubes and chase the meltdown.

KC2UGV
09-26-2010, 07:38 PM
No. The point will be to taste it on ice, not merely chilled. Some rums handle ice with aplomb, others not so nobly. Try, for example, three fingers of Pusser's Royal Navy in a jelly glass with two cubes and chase the meltdown.

Got ya. I thought you were just adding the ice because you don't like room temp drinks (I don't), but concerned about affecting the quality.

kc7jty
09-26-2010, 07:39 PM
does it come in the mini bottle for sampling?

W3MIV
09-26-2010, 07:44 PM
does it come in the mini bottle for sampling?

Interesting idea, but I doubt it. Seems that what you are likely to get in the miniature shelf is Ron Rico, Bacardi and the like. Strictly the mixer trade, I would imagine.

Forty-two skekels is a bit high for three-quarters of a litre, I'll admit, and the more so the way I could go through this stuff! It really is that good.

Next stop will be Pyrat XO, but my personal TARP means I have to wait a bit before finding out what "Luca Brazzi" will demand for the privilege -- if the bastard'll even get it for me.

kc7jty
09-26-2010, 07:49 PM
One review says Zaya tastes like Creme Brulee. You have my attention.

http://1000corks.com/search?page=3&st=Zaya

KG4CGC
09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
It looks like a fun bottle ... if nothing else. LOL!
My weekly shot was Dewars.

W3MIV
09-26-2010, 08:00 PM
One review says Zaya tastes like Creme Brulee. You have my attention.

I would say that is a sophisticated opinion, and one that I could agree with. There is, as I thought I pointed out, a very strong caramel, vanilla and sugar presence, particularly brown sugar or a rich molasses. Carrying the analogy further, the texture of a crème brulée, smooth and custardy, fits well with the sensation Zaya leaves on the palette.

I defer to that taster's judgment.

KC2UGV
09-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Well, I'm sold enough to check it out. Not too much of a rum person, but this seems a couple steps better than Bacardi or Cpt. Morgan...

W3MIV
09-26-2010, 08:35 PM
For the record, I do not like "mixed" drinks -- which I equate to alcoholic fruit salad with eye-endangering accoutrements added to get in the way. I like it neat. I like it sometimes with ice. I do not like most whiskeys, think most scotches taste like iodine with a hint of acetone, but I do like most brandies, even including such sweeties as apricot and peach. But neat. If it is worth drinking, it is worth sipping -- not adulterating with a bunch of fruit, vegetables and crap.

The only "mixed drinks" I will tolerate are a very spicy Bloody (shove the celery stick where the sun don't shine and add a bit more booze) Mary and a tonic made with a good gin (I love gin), but alas the damned myasthenia gravis has put quinine on the no-no list of "drugs." I am not looking for a fruit cup or a salad when I drink.

kc7jty
09-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Well, I'm sold enough to check it out. Not too much of a rum person, but this seems a couple steps better than Bacardi or Cpt. Morgan...

about 16 kazillion steps I was thinking. The color of the stuff alone is getting me anxious to try it but the Idaho booze board doesn't carry it. Have to look it up next time I'm back east at a Total Wine store.

kc7jty
09-26-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't like any mixed drinks anymore. Used to like 1/3 Drambuie with 2/3 Johnny Walker Black (no ice) and 1/4 Benedictine with 3/4 decent cognac in a snifter but no more. The good chit is best neat.
Zaya and Laphroaig are on my must taste list now.

kc7jty
09-26-2010, 08:55 PM
, think most scotches taste like iodine with a hint of acetone,
most do, but a quality single malt aged in used Sherry casks is a gift from the gods.

n2ize
09-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I'll take Nikolaiiii vodkllllaaaa ohhrrrr whatveverewr they calllll it.................................. slosh.........................

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
I do not like most whiskeys, think most scotches taste like iodine with a hint of acetone

I love the taste of fusil oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusil_oil) in the morning. It tastes like victory.