PDA

View Full Version : It is over.

al2n
09-26-2010, 02:49 PM
If I were the kind of guy who gets drunk, today would be the day.

It is snowing outside.

Not a heavy snow, and it is not sticking, but snow nonetheless. Another Alaskan summer is officially over and it is time to dig out the snow shovels and put away the patio furniture and the lawn mower. This day always sucks.

On the bright side the first hint of freezing temps means that it is time to go hunting for the elusive and rare arctic hare.

kf0rt
09-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh, man... I didn't need to hear that!!!

82 here, Mike. I'm the Island's designated drinker today, too... :snicker::yes:

al2n
09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
82 here, Mike.

I hate you.

kf0rt
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
I hate you.

:rofl: :rofl:

It'll be here before ya know it. Mountain peaks are already starting to show more white.

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 02:57 PM
90° F here. Last time it snowed in the city of San Diego proper was about 40 years ago, although San Diego County gets snow in the higher elevations every winter.

al2n
09-26-2010, 03:00 PM
90° F here.

I hate you too.

Hand over the rum and I will think about liking you again.

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 03:02 PM
I hate you too.

Hootch is in the mail.

KG4CGC
09-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Yesterday was 89 but today it is 64 with a flood watch in place until Monday night. First rain in about, well, almost 3 weeks. September is usually very wet with a predictable zonal flow but last year we had south Georgia weather. This year it's starting to look like more of the same until December.

Good luck to you this year with your hibernation. How far underground do you have to go to reach 55 degrees? Around here, you could keep an underground dwelling at that temp year round starting at about 6 feet.

n2ize
09-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I hate you too.

Apparently you're living in the wrong place. If you like hot weather than you need to move to a hot place with long summers and very short mild winters. Just be prepared to get used to spending money on running cooling devices instead of heating devices.

N8YX
09-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Friday saw 92 degrees at the Akron-Canton airport.

Yesterday the temps struggled to make it out of the low 60s in places.

We did ~150mi on the two-wheelers to help a friend set the valve clearances on his bike. All of us wore more cow than usual for this time of year.

Supposed to be 56/46 next Saturday. At the moment I'm giving the "summer" bikes their last washing prior to storage...and I'm prepping their "fall-early winter" contemporaries for duty.

Hopefully I'll get to ride the C-14 throughout the winter.

al2n
09-26-2010, 03:29 PM
High yesterday was 50. Low was 33. In a month we will have highs in the 30's.

I hate the winters up here, but the summer is the greatest thing on earth. If I were rich I would have a home in southern Oregon or Northern California (did I just say that?) and another up here. Not too hot, not too cold.

w3bny
09-26-2010, 03:40 PM
On the bright side the first hint of freezing temps means that it is time to go hunting for the elusive and rare arctic hare.

Bring it bitches....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/Bunnieman/bringit.jpg

We'll be ready for you!

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Did I say 90° F in San Diego? My bad--it's actually 95°.

Snow is looking pretty good to me right now--we don't have A/C here.

al2n
09-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Did I say 90° F in San Diego? My bad--it's actually 95°.

Snow is looking pretty good to me right now--we don't have A/C here.

Dry 95 I can handle, humid 95 sucks.

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Dry 95 I can handle, humid 95 sucks.

That's one thing we got going for us here: dry heat. Dry heaves, sometimes too.

KC9ECI
09-26-2010, 04:10 PM
A balmy 60F here. Flood waters are receding. NWS has issued a frost warning. Couple more weeks and I'll have to rake the leaves out of the yard, do a final inspection on the antennas in preparation for the November SS and swap the lawn mower with the snowblower.

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 04:13 PM
If I were rich I would have a home in southern Oregon or Northern California (did I just say that?) and another up here. Not too hot, not too cold.

Southern Oregon is great. I lived up there for about five years and have spent my time since then trying to make it back. It's hard to make a living there so one either needs to be independently wealthy or have some sort of good gig of their own that doesn't require money from the locals, who don't have much. Pretty much the same in far northern California, although to a lesser extent.

Of course, you can always grow dope...

WX7P
09-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Cool, Mike.

It means it's snowing on my ex-wife.

Heh, heh, heh...

al2n
09-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Cool, Mike.

It means it's snowing on my ex-wife.

Heh, heh, heh...

Well if that is the case, it is not such a bad day after all. ;)

al2n
09-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Southern Oregon is great. I lived up there for about five years and have spent my time since then trying to make it back. It's hard to make a living there so one either needs to be independently wealthy or have some sort of good gig of their own that doesn't require money from the locals, who don't have much. Pretty much the same in far northern California, although to a lesser extent.

Of course, you can always grow dope...

I grew up in Southern Oregon. Lived a few miles outside of Myrtle Point. Once I graduated high school I left and rarely return. I agree with you that the area is great, but the job market sucks.

W2NAP
09-26-2010, 04:24 PM
65F here... couple days ago is was 94F

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 04:27 PM
I grew up in Southern Oregon. Lived a few miles outside of Myrtle Point. Once I graduated high school I left and rarely return. I agree with you that the area is great, but the job market sucks.

Know Myrtle Point well. I lived about ten miles outside of Cave Junction and would go over Medford way to get supplies that weren't available in that burg. The XYL loves Ashland and while it's a bit too tourist-y for me, I'd accept living there if it meant I were able to get the hell outta SoCal.

ka8ncr
09-26-2010, 05:01 PM
It is over. Was out collecting buckets of hickory nuts this morning and noticing that pretty much all the shrubs and vines have lost their leaves. That's partly due to the dry conditions, but maybe only by a week or two at best.

W3WN
09-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hear about the snow.

Did you get the 160 antenna up yet?

...I know, and I'm sorry, but I need to work AK on 160 to get it done & out of the way!

KG4CGC
09-26-2010, 06:12 PM

...I know, and I'm sorry, but I need to work AK on 160 to get it done & out of the way!
Good Evening Ron,
You may have mentioned it before but what do you use for 160m?

VK3ZL
09-27-2010, 01:51 AM

You should be looking for me on 160 Ron....The path from here to the US has been excellent for 4 weeks now....What do I have to offer as a bribe for the first Islander to work VK3ZL on Topband ?? Always QRV from 08:30Z until 12:30Z, Check cluster for spots generally between 1.822.5 to 1.826.5 CW....

Bob..VK3ZL..

W3WN
09-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Good Evening Ron,
You may have mentioned it before but what do you use for 160m?

The Inverted L is back up, although the vertical section is more of a sloper than I like.

I just hope it stays up this year. The neighbor has no problem with my using the tree as an antenna hanger, but the tree (a silver maple) is in the process of coming apart. It now has two big broken main branches hanging by some bark... both below the wire, but at some point that entire tree is going to have to come down.

No high power though, just an Omni VI+ barefoot. An amp is just out of the budget right now, so that is that.

W3WN
09-27-2010, 08:18 AM
You should be looking for me on 160 Ron....The path from here to the US has been excellent for 4 weeks now....What do I have to offer as a bribe for the first Islander to work VK3ZL on Topband ?? Always QRV from 08:30Z until 12:30Z, Check cluster for spots generally between 1.822.5 to 1.826.5 CW....

Bob..VK3ZL.. I'll have to get up early and listen for you. But I don't know. Outside of a (probably fluke) contest QSO with KH6ZM last year, the previous incarnation of the "L" didn't do too well for real DX.

WX7P
09-27-2010, 10:08 AM

Word.

The job market was one of (many) reasons we got the hell out of Tulelake (Modoc County).

W7NPN who was a straight A Chemistry major and is one of the most technically astute people I know, kept coming in second for jobs. She always lost out to guys. It was also due to outsider bias, ie, give the job to someone more local.

The final straw came when she came in 23 out of 35 for an operator job at Pacific Power. She aced the written test, said she thought she did well in the oral interview but that was the result. She got a job in Sacramento within a month.

Carl-You strike me as someone whose bumpkin tolerance might be pretty low. I don't know about Cave Junction, but the bulbs around Modoc were pretty dim.