PDA

View Full Version : Monitors and UPS Loads

n2ize
09-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I have a 25 inch flat screen LCD monitor. With the monitor turned off and the system at "idle" (not engaging in any heavy tasks) the UPS reports a 26% load and about a 20 minute run time on battery in the event of a power failure.

But, with the monitor turned on it shows around a 50-54% load and about 9 minutes battery run time. Wow... more of a jump than I like to see.

I would like to see a longer battery run with both computer and monitor on. I suppose I could invest in a bigger UPS. Or, in the event of a power failure I could always shut the monitor. Keeping these UPS's up and running is a bit of a PITA. On average sealed lead acid batteries are good for 2 - 3 years before they start going soft and require replacement. I suppose Lithium Polymer would be a better alternative but they are quite volatile. The idea of a large LiPo battery under the desk constantly charging / discharging is a but scary.

Anyone recommend any UPS's that will keep a typical desktop system + monitor up and running for at least 30 minutes.

Meanwhile the main purpose behind a UPS is to protect against momentary surges and those brief 2 - 3 second outages. Or, in the event of a long outage to give you time to save your work and enable the system to shut down cleanly so, in that sense my UPS's are doing their intended job. It has indeed saved me many a freeze up or crash so, who can complain.

KC2UGV
09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
What size is your current UPS? The 1KVA units aren't very pricey and will do that:

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=S10