PDA

View Full Version : N2IZE, your librarian therapist is waiting...

WØTKX
09-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Relax on the couch, and tell us your deepest warped visions... your system, your strange loop. :mrgreen:

http://img.poptower.com/pic-482/lorraine-bracco.jpg?d=600

NQ6U
09-23-2010, 07:49 PM
First question: How often do you get on the air?

n2ize
09-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, for starters, I'm not very interesting. But that librarian is HOT! And probably more interesting than I.

n2ize
09-23-2010, 07:50 PM
First question: How often do you get on the air?

As soon at it takes to get some wire restrung into a tree.

WØTKX
09-23-2010, 07:53 PM
couple a years or so... :whistle:

NQ6U
09-23-2010, 07:54 PM
As soon at it takes to get some wire restrung into a tree.

Okay, then, when was the last time you were on the air?

kc7jty
09-23-2010, 07:55 PM
question already answered...

n2ize
09-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Okay, then, when was the last time you were on the air?

It's been a long time now. Probably about 5 years or so. When I do operate I work AM. Mostly on 160, 75 and 40 meters. Occasionally 20 and 10 meters pending conditions. But I generally stay below 7.4 Mc,

n2ize
09-23-2010, 08:03 PM
couple a years or so... :whistle:

Hopefully this fall. When the leaves are off the trees. Much easier to string wire when the leaves are down.

NQ6U
09-23-2010, 08:04 PM
Okay, then tell us about your job. You've said here you're a mathematician; how does that work? Are you part of a university staff or do you work in "the private sector," as they like to say?

n2ize
09-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Okay, then tell us about your job. You've said here you're a mathematician; how does that work? Are you part of a university staff or do you work in "the private sector," as they like to say?

I could fill a book with that. Well, at least a very very small one. :) I worked in academia mostly when i was in grad school but did some teaching and research afterwards. I've also been employed directly and as a consultant for both the private and public sector (i.e. government), insurance. .Current research... enhanced prime factoring, graphical analysis and probabilistic modeling. My most memorable employer ? The gambling industry,. :)

NQ6U
09-25-2010, 03:38 PM
When you're actually operating, what type of equipment do you run? I know you're a fan of boat anchors but which makes/models do you use?

n2ize
09-26-2010, 04:03 AM
When you're actually operating, what type of equipment do you run? I know you're a fan of boat anchors but which makes/models do you use?

Very vintage (1940's-50's) style of operation. First I mostly use AM and CW. Generally a hollow state transmitter alongside a general coverage receiver (kenwood or yaesu) and an external Dow Key. Antenna is a wire doublet antenna fed with balances line and coupled via a Johnson matchbox (link coupled) tuner.

I was on a lot during the late 1980's and 1990's. My operation during the 2000's so far has been sporadic and infrequent. I usually run a Johnson Viking 2 or a Valiant. The Viking 2 is incredibly reliable and has been a real workhorse. It is also somewhat modded out but the majority of it is still original. I also have a Globe King 500 which I've been putting back on the air for the past couple of decades or so. One of these days.... yeah. I mostly operate on the low bands... 40 meters and below. I rarely make appearances anywhere above 40 meters. Occasionally I will check out 20 and, when 10 metres was last wide open I was working some AM DX around 29.000 mc. The nice thing about working AM DX on 29.000 was that not too many people ventured up there, let alone onto AM. It made for some nice casual conversations with people in faraway places.

I am somewhat lacking in nice vintage boatanchor receivers. My receivers are all solid state. But the transmitting side is all old, vintage hollow state.

I'm thinking of adding on one of those software driven radios one of these days. However, when it comes to radio my main preference is for old stuff.

WØTKX
09-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Well, for starters, how long have you enjoyed trolling as a conservative on forums, and why? :snicker: :stickpoke:

http://reformimmigrationforamerica.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/colbert.jpg

N8YX
09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Are you still in need of the plans for the homebrew o-scope that I promised to you?

If so: I'll ship the original magazine, not just a photocopy.

ka8ncr
09-26-2010, 01:18 PM
C'mon, let's get to the skeletons in the closet.

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 01:29 PM

Okay: Who's the girl in the avatar? And have you had a sexual relationship with her?

n2ize
09-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, for starters, how long have you enjoyed trolling as a conservative on forums, and why? :snicker: :stickpoke:

http://reformimmigrationforamerica.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/colbert.jpg

Most people come to forums like this for light hearted discussions and for laughs, not for in depth academic style analysis and or dissertations. So, I like to stay on the edge a bit,

n2ize
09-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Okay: Who's the girl in the avatar? And have you had a sexual relationship with her?

She is dead. She passed in 1999. She is an actress/writer. She was in a couple of music videos, she was on an episode of Miami Vice, and she was in several semi-popular and cult movies. I also had the fortune of meeting her on a few occasions and talking with her a few times. Sexual relations with her ? No, not at all. But I am sure it would have been nice. I would have liked it. But she was a married woman. She has a website maintained by her ex-husband. I do have a great deal of admiration for her.

http://www.zoelund.com/

n2ize
09-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Are you still in need of the plans for the homebrew o-scope that I promised to you?

If so: I'll ship the original magazine, not just a photocopy.

yes, I could use it. Drop me an email or a PM

n2ize
09-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Not many skeletons round here. As I mentioned, I am not very interesting. It's like I tell people when they tell me that the police are doing more and more surveillance and probing into our personal lives. I always say, "if they want to be really bored they are welcome.to watch me".. LOL.

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Not many skeletons round here. As I mentioned, I am not very interesting. It's like I tell people when they tell me that the police are doing more and more surveillance and probing into our personal lives. I always say, "if they want to be really bored they are welcome.to watch me".. LOL.

Yeah, that's probably the case with most of us. While I had my share of excitement in my younger days, I'm sure watching videos of my current life would put most people to right sleep.

kf0rt
09-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, that's probably the case with most of us.

:agree: No shit. :lol:

Personal question you can ignore if you want, John. How old are you?

n2ize
09-26-2010, 03:25 PM
:agree: No shit. :lol:

Personal question you can ignore if you want, John. How old are you?

I'm 35 years old... in hexadecimal.

kf0rt
09-26-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm 35 years old... in hexadecimal.

I kinda figured in there somewhere. Seems like a lot of the Island population is about that age. I'm 66.
(octal)

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 04:03 PM
I kinda figured in there somewhere. Seems like a lot of the Island population is about that age. I'm 66.
(octal)

Seems to be the most common age bracket of the hams I've met. I'm 111000 (binary); I think we were the last bunch to get interested in the hobby.

KC2UGV
09-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Seems to be the most common age bracket of the hams I've met. I'm 111000 (binary); I think we were the last bunch to get interested in the hobby.

Nah, I'm only 30, and just turned it last month.

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 04:37 PM

Is that decimal or hexadecimal?

KC2UGV
09-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Is that decimal or hexadecimal?

I wanted to be different: Decimal :) And I got licensed about two years ago.

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Wow, a youngster among us!

I've only had my ticket for a year now--after saying I was going to get it for the past 40 years.

KG4CGC
09-26-2010, 07:55 PM
http://www.ascii.cl/conversion.htm

n2ize
09-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Statistically I have a quarter of a century (19 years in hex) of life left. Not bad. But to me death don't mean a thing. I'm a half a century old. And a half a century high.

NQ6U
09-26-2010, 09:01 PM
So, what's Yonkers like? I've passed through there on the NY State Thruway a few time but never stopped.

KJ3N
09-26-2010, 10:26 PM

Kids these days..... ;)

kc7jty
09-26-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm 27 (fractal)
http://www.abstractdigitalartgallery.com/artgallery-psion005-abstract-digital-art-fractal-Psytrip.jpg
The core value is equal to one over the perforation rate minus the decay time when the rate of gain is constant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0rAUsvU17A&feature=related

n2ize
09-27-2010, 05:56 AM
So, what's Yonkers like? I've passed through there on the NY State Thruway a few time but never stopped.

Hmmm.... that is hard to say. It varies tremendously depending on what part you are in. Southwest Yonkers (along the river) is mostly old dilapidated industrial remnants of a bygone era. Old factory buildings, warehouses, etc. that have long gone defunct, some subdivided into smaller modern businesses, others slated for demolition in hopes of plans to rebuild and revitalize the area. Yonkers used to be home to several large carpet manufacturers, Phelps-Dodge wire and cable Otis Elevator and others. Just north of Yonkers was the old Anaconda wire plant. Closed in 1975 you may still find parts of it standing to this date... Interspersed within all this are old neighborhoods, many of them low income, many of them crime ridden, and some of them quite dangerous others not so bad.. Much of south Yonkers is urban residential (low to -middle income). Lot's of old 3 - 6 story brick and frame apartments, with some larger buildings and small houses. Quality of life ranges from depleted, crime ridden to relatively safe, typical of any old urban residential area I suppose. As you go north of the racetrack Yonkers starts changing dramatically. It rapidly becomes less and less urbanized and more and more private, suburban, residential... When you get far enough north... to where I am it is very quiet. Mostly old (some very old) (and newer) residential homes, some quite large and fancy, others smaller and very quaint. Styles of homes varies from old Victorian and Tudor to old and new Colonials and even a few rural style and farmhouse style homes. Streets are generally quiet lined with large old trees, very low crime rate... Along with that are high taxes, high property values and even a foreclosure here and there, although not nearly as bad as in other places. Average income... upper middle to high income. Average composition... mostly white collar professional types in various capacities and self employed business persons and contractors.

That's about it. Not particularly interesting. Not quite as big, diverse and exciting as NYC but still relatively large and diverse and interesting in its own way. Along the Northwest side of Yonkers overlooking the Hudson you can still find remnants of the old estates that were built long ago by the great barons of the industrial era. Some you can only find old stone walls and gateways which led to the old estates. Others you can still find the old mansions and estate houses, some abandoned and in ruin, others in disrepair, others revitalized and serving as museums, still others converted into residence halls, or used as business offices for private companies and organizations. This type of landscape continues along the river well past Yonkers and into upstate New York. If your ever in the area its an interesting place to visit. Lots of old historic sites along the river. Very scenic as well.

BTW, if you happen to be along the Hudson on a weekend and spot a few helicopters overhead being controlled by some guys on the ground feel free to come on over. fair chance I might be there.

P.S. This site gives some pictures of some of the old haunts that lie along the Hudson.

http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/

N2CHX
09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
P.S. This site gives some pictures of some of the old haunts that lie along the Hudson.

http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/

Ooh! I love urban exploration. I think I've been to this site before, there's lots of great pictures and info on there. Thanks for the linky.

n2ize
09-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Ooh! I love urban exploration. I think I've been to this site before, there's lots of great pictures and info on there. Thanks for the linky.

Yeah, I always enjoyed urban exploration myself. There are some other great sites for this stuff as well.

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/?page_id=336

http://www.darkpassage.com/

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I always enjoyed urban exploration myself. There are some other great sites for this stuff as well.

Not shortage of that sort of thing in CA, even if, generally speaking, the buildings aren't as old:

http://mytechnologyworld9.blogspot.com/2010/09/abandoned-hotel-in-southern-california.html

kf0rt
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Cool stuff!

I bet Julia Solis is a hoot at parties.

n2ize
09-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Cool stuff!

I bet Julia Solis is a hoot at parties.

Unfortunately I've never met her, although I was invited to one of her events at the old Atlantic Ave. tunnel. Perrhaps someday I'll get the opporunity to meet her in person. She seems like an interesting sort of person.

Her group "Dark passage" has been known to have formal dinners in abandoned buildings and in subway tunnels. She has a peculiar fascination with abandoned hospitals.

w2amr
09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Very vintage (1940's-50's) style of operation. First I mostly use AM and CW. Generally a hollow state transmitter alongside a general coverage receiver (kenwood or yaesu) and an external Dow Key. Antenna is a wire doublet antenna fed with balances line , rolled up neatly under my bed.
Fixed.:snicker:

n2ize
09-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Fixed.:snicker:

I wish it were rolled up under the bed. I still have to buy the wire. The old wire was ripped to shreds and scatters among the treetops in that crazy Nor'easter last spring.

W1GUH
09-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Both you and Albi have threatened to actually get out and put up a dipole. Who's actually going to do it first? ;) Like I told Albi, the first thing you should do is post The Question - both here on and on the 'zed...

How do I make a dipole? You'll get all the helpful comments you need - especially here! Now...if there are going to be knobs on it....

Re: BA xmtr & SS rcvr using an external Dow-Key. Not sure I'd ever be brave enough to do that; I'd worry about zapping the front end of the receiver if the relay ever FU'd. But...I guess it's done all the time, so my fears are probably groundless.

Relevant for me because when the Magic Day comes that I get the AF-67 on the air and on the road, I might be using my rice box for a receiver.

w2amr
09-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I wish it were rolled up under the bed. I still have to buy the wire. Maybe if we took up a collection to help with costs.:stickpoke:

n2ize
09-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Maybe if we took up a collection to help with costs.:stickpoke:

That would help... Hi Hi :)

n2ize
09-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Both you and Albi have threatened to actually get out and put up a dipole. Who's actually going to do it first? ;) Like I told Albi, the first thing you should do is post The Question - both here on and on the 'zed...

How do I make a dipole? You'll get all the helpful comments you need - especially here! Now...if there are going to be knobs on it....

Re: BA xmtr & SS rcvr using an external Dow-Key. Not sure I'd ever be brave enough to do that; I'd worry about zapping the front end of the receiver if the relay ever FU'd. But...I guess it's done all the time, so my fears are probably groundless.

Relevant for me because when the Magic Day comes that I get the AF-67 on the air and on the road, I might be using my rice box for a receiver.

I'm very familiar with building and installing dipoles and wire antennas. I had a balanced fed doublet up at the top of a tall tree for 20 over years. It stood through the big nor'erasters of the 80's and 90's but couldn't survive this latest one. I last saw a piece of the feed line dangling from the top of a tall oak tree in the next yard.

The biggest pain about putting one up is getting the initial line up in the tree. I am going to have to start from scratch with fishing lines, sinkers, maybe a slingshot and, in a worst case scenario,a bow and arrow. Putting it up here is a delicate operation because the trees are right near the property line and the whole operation needs to be done entirely from my side of the fence and without crossing the property line at any time and with the neighbor standing over my shoulder the whole time, as he always does the second any work starts anywhere near that property line. The neighbor has some strange fear that I am going to assault his property.

Once I get through that headache and get a strong rope pulled through the rest is easy. I have the cable, the insulators, all I need is the balanced cable.

Being that all of my ham friends no longer live in the area I have to do this entire operation on my own. In any event I am not even going to begin until the leaves are off the trees.

I generally cut the antennas for 80 meters. Then when i feed them with balanced cable and use the matchbox I can tune it on any band from 80 thru 10 meters. It works like a champ. For 160 I tie the ends together and feed it directly from the transmitter and work it against a good ground. I don;t get great range on 160 but, on a cold, clear, winter night I'll make the normal 160 meter AM New England round table quite nicely. And on 80 and 40 meters with the antenna properly tuned it puts out a pretty darned good signal. With 100 watts carrier I'm not a tal ship but I'm far from a piss weaker.

Never had a problem with the Dow key. Even the one time I switched on the transmitter and the Dow Key didn't fire the solid state receiver was fine. At no time is the Dow Key allowing the transmitters output to connect with the receivers front end.

kf0rt
09-27-2010, 05:09 PM
The biggest pain about putting one up is getting the initial line up in the tree. I am going to have to start from scratch with fishing lines, sinkers, maybe a slingshot and, in a worst case scenario,a bow and arrow. Putting it up here is a delicate operation because the trees are right near the property line and the whole operation needs to be done entirely from my side of the fence and without crossing the property line at any time and with the neighbor standing over my shoulder the whole time, as he always does the second any work starts anywhere near that property line. The neighbor has some strange fear that I am going to assault his property.

Helicopter? :snicker::yes:

n2ize
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Helicopter? :snicker::yes:

Yes, I've thought of that possibility. And if I lived on a ranch or a farm maybe. But to do it here would require a large high powered heli that is relatively stable in wind. Down here that would mean a very narrow margin of error and incredible skill. Not to mention the attention it would draw and the pictures, anfd U-Tube videos if anything went wrong. Not to mention $600+ dollars worth of equipment down the tubes + lawsuits if anything goes wrong. Think I'll stick with the ol' slingshot... LOL

n2ize
09-27-2010, 05:34 PM
So now... as a reward for all this...where's my beloved librarian.... with glasses.... and that intellectual look ?... I'll even take her to dinner... and a nightcap.

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Here you go:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/299969/894439.png

I know you prefer brunettes but I figured you could adjust.

n2ize
09-27-2010, 06:04 PM
Here you go:

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/299969/894439.png

I know you prefer brunettes but I figured you could adjust.

Wow !! All those books !! We'll be very busy tonight. LOL

K7SGJ
09-27-2010, 06:43 PM
. <snip> Think I'll stick with the ol' slingshot... LOL You'll put your eye out.

NQ6U
09-27-2010, 08:19 PM
http://forums.hamisland.net/image.php?u=6&type=sigpic&dateline=1285617119

I love that car.

w2amr
09-28-2010, 04:23 AM
http://forums.hamisland.net/image.php?u=6&type=sigpic&dateline=1285617119

I love that car.I think the body is a 37 Ford . It's a copy of a Modified stock car , that was built and driven by a very popular South Jersey racer by the name of Budd Olsen back in the 70's

n2ize
09-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I think the body is a 37 Ford . It's a copy of a Modified stock car , that was built and driven by a very popular South Jersey racer by the name of Budd Olsen back in the 70's

Nice !! I'm not a major car buff but that is awesome stuff.

WØTKX
09-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Successful deflection of thread is successful. Pick somone else John...

I knew you would be boring... ***sigh***

:snicker:

KC2UGV
09-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Not shortage of that sort of thing in CA, even if, generally speaking, the buildings aren't as old:

http://mytechnologyworld9.blogspot.com/2010/09/abandoned-hotel-in-southern-california.html

Some of AO's in California share a lot in common with NYC. ie Huge, largely unexplored, sub basements, connecting tunnels, etc. Before I hit 35, I will make a trip to NYC to explore their tunnels.

w2amr
09-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Nice !! I'm not a major car buff but that is awesome stuff.
What was really awesome was seeing and hearing about 20 of them racing around a 1/2 mile dirt oval at 100 mph +. Run a couple of warm up laps, then turn em loose. Too bad this video doesn't have sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_VFc6rqyxE&feature=related

kf0rt
09-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Something a little more modern to get your heart "racing."

Try this in yer Ford Fiesta....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8

NQ6U
09-28-2010, 04:09 PM
"Similar to autocross, gymkhana courses are often complex and memorizing the course is a significant part of this type of motorsport."

Okay, that leaves me out...

NQ6U
09-28-2010, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=kf0rt;268837]Try this in yer Ford Fiesta....

In your 500BHP Ford Fiesta, no less. Whoopee!

EDIT: Pretty showy driving but nothing like the fastest way to get around the course.

w2amr
09-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Something a little more modern to get your heart "racing."

Try this in yer Ford Fiesta....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TshFWSsrn8
What is the point to all of that? :chin:
Very bizarre. He seems to spend quite a bit of time up against the rev limiter.

kc7jty
09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
My Versa could take that POS!

WA4TM
09-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Hell, I've seen little old grannies do that stuff at Walmart!!!:lol:

n2ize
09-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Some of AO's in California share a lot in common with NYC. ie Huge, largely unexplored, sub basements, connecting tunnels, etc. Before I hit 35, I will make a trip to NYC to explore their tunnels.

When you do pass through some of those tunnels remember, 30+ years before I was there. :)

n2ize
09-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Successful deflection of thread is successful. Pick somone else John...

I knew you would be boring... ***sigh***

Well, what do you expect from a guy who digs librarians... He He. Okay, so now who do I pick ?

kf0rt
09-28-2010, 06:36 PM
What is the point to all of that? :chin:
Very bizarre. He seems to spend quite a bit of time up against the rev limiter.

Hell, man. I figured the point was to kill a set of tires in the shortest possible amount of time without a tie-down to the pavement. :mrgreen:

kc7jty
09-28-2010, 06:46 PM
My dad used to take me to old abandoned places when I was a tyke (5/6/7). I think I was his ticket to BS his way to freedom in case he got caught trespassing.
The place I remember best was an old mill powered by a large water wheel (Glen Riddle, PA) that was connected to a shaft that ran the entire length of the stone building. It had some 20 machines tethered to it by 6" wide leather belts. Thanks for the memories pop.

w2amr
09-29-2010, 03:20 AM
Hell, man. I figured the point was to kill a set of tires in the shortest possible amount of time without a tie-down to the pavement. :mrgreen:It would be interesting to see what it could do on a rally course

W1GUH
09-29-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm very familiar with building and installing dipoles and wire antennas. I had a balanced fed doublet up at the top of a tall tree for 20 over years. It stood through the big nor'erasters of the 80's and 90's but couldn't survive this latest one. I last saw a piece of the feed line dangling from the top of a tall oak tree in the next yard.

Once I get through that headache and get a strong rope pulled through the rest is easy. I have the cable, the insulators, all I need is the balanced cable.

Being that all of my ham friends no longer live in the area I have to do this entire operation on my own. In any event I am not even going to begin until the leaves are off the trees.

I generally cut the antennas for 80 meters. Then when i feed them with balanced cable and use the matchbox I can tune it on any band from 80 thru 10 meters. It works like a champ. For 160 I tie the ends together and feed it directly from the transmitter and work it against a good ground. I don;t get great range on 160 but, on a cold, clear, winter night I'll make the normal 160 meter AM New England round table quite nicely. And on 80 and 40 meters with the antenna properly tuned it puts out a pretty darned good signal. With 100 watts carrier I'm not a tal ship but I'm far from a piss weaker.

Never had a problem with the Dow key. Even the one time I switched on the transmitter and the Dow Key didn't fire the solid state receiver was fine. At no time is the Dow Key allowing the transmitters output to connect with the receivers front end.

"I'm very familiar with building and installing dipoles and wire antennas. " Awww. that's no fun.. Guess I'm going to have to post the question myself in the rumpus room! :roll::evil::stirpot::stickpoke:

"...maybe a slingshot and, in a worst case scenario,a bow and arrow. "

Only way to go for anything over about 20'. I've got both, and if you're not paranoid about the criminality of a slinghsot with a wrist brace, you can have mine. They're illegal with a wrist brace, OK otherwise, or so I recently read. Also have a bow and arrow set, but I'd be pretty reticent about using one in suburbia.

"...Being that all of my ham friends no longer live in the area ".

WTF? There's at least one here on the Island who, I believe, lives closer to Yonkers than you do! Guess who?

How's your QTH for receiving? If it's good...heck...set up a rice box or even BA SSB or CW station there. AM'd be just asking for trouble. If I could receive, I long since woulda had one of my radios on the air. But...if ya can't hear em...:cry:

n2ize
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
"I'm very familiar with building and installing dipoles and wire antennas. " Awww. that's no fun.. Guess I'm going to have to post the question myself in the rumpus room! :roll::evil::stirpot::stickpoke:

"...maybe a slingshot and, in a worst case scenario,a bow and arrow. "

Only way to go for anything over about 20'. I've got both, and if you're not paranoid about the criminality of a slinghsot with a wrist brace, you can have mine. They're illegal with a wrist brace, OK otherwise, or so I recently read. Also have a bow and arrow set, but I'd be pretty reticent about using one in suburbia.

"...Being that all of my ham friends no longer live in the area ".

WTF? There's at least one here on the Island who, I believe, lives closer to Yonkers than you do! Guess who?

How's your QTH for receiving? If it's good...heck...set up a rice box or even BA SSB or CW station there. AM'd be just asking for trouble. If I could receive, I long since woulda had one of my radios on the air. But...if ya can't hear em...:cry:

It's fine for receiving last I checked. Only problem is somewhat higher background noise due to the greater numbers of computers and consumer grade electronics. I've always operated AM and CW from here and I have no plans of stopping. 160, 80 and 40 meter Am from here ?.. As Sarah would say... You Betcha !! With a Viking 2, a Valiant, and a Globe King 500 sitting up here anything short of AM would be a sacrilege. :)

back in the 80's and 90's I would run AM almost every day. A few of the neighbors claimed to occasionally hear me on their radios and one, coming through the telephone. But, nowadays, since the phone and internets around here are on fibre optics and most people are on cordless phones or cell phones I doubt phone RFI will be as serious a problem as back then.... Even the TV, most people these days are on cable or FiOS TV so TVI might even be less of a problem...

The only drawback is higher background noise on my receivers due to all the rfi from all the extra electronics in peoples homes nowadays. These days if anyone is going to take a hit in terms of rfi it will probably be me more than anyone else.

W1GUH
09-30-2010, 11:08 AM
It's fine for receiving last I checked. Only problem is somewhat higher background noise due to the greater numbers of computers and consumer grade electronics. I've always operated AM and CW from here and I have no plans of stopping. 160, 80 and 40 meter Am from here ?.. As Sarah would say... You Betcha !! With a Viking 2, a Valiant, and a Globe King 500 sitting up here anything short of AM would be a sacrilege. :)

back in the 80's and 90's I would run AM almost every day. A few of the neighbors claimed to occasionally hear me on their radios and one, coming through the telephone. But, nowadays, since the phone and internets around here are on fibre optics and most people are on cordless phones or cell phones I doubt phone RFI will be as serious a problem as back then.... Even the TV, most people these days are on cable or FiOS TV so TVI might even be less of a problem...

The only drawback is higher background noise on my receivers due to all the rfi from all the extra electronics in peoples homes nowadays. These days if anyone is going to take a hit in terms of rfi it will probably be me more than anyone else.

Disconnect.... I was talking about where you actually reside now. That's not in Yonkers, is it?

n2ize
09-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Disconnect.... I was talking about where you actually reside now. That's not in Yonkers, is it?

I am currently back in Yonkers but, a year ago at this I was in NYC. Actually I've lived in various locations but I never take my ham station with me. That has always remained in the Yonkers location that appears on my license.

W1GUH
09-30-2010, 01:50 PM
I am currently back in Yonkers but, a year ago at this I was in NYC. Actually I've lived in various locations but I never take my ham station with me. That has always remained in the Yonkers location that appears on my license.

Cool. Let's have a contest. Do you get your antenna up before or after I get my TR-3 or AF-67 on the air from the car for AM mobile?

but I never take my ham station with me.

Tha's why you need a rice box...something portable to take with when you live in the city!

NQ6U
10-04-2010, 05:01 PM
John, time for you to pick a new victim...er, I mean patient, for the couch.