PDA

View Full Version : Silver coins

kc7jty
09-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Silver (and gold) keep going up. If silver hits $25/oz, I should sell those silver coins I've saved since high school.

kf0rt
09-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Unless you're real hungry, keep saving. :dunno:

W3MIV
09-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Unless you're real hungry, keep saving.

Agree.

kc7jty
09-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I have seen the value rise over the decades only to fall down again to about 50% of the high numerous times.
I should sell at $25 then buy back at $15

W4GPL
09-23-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm in the same boat.. I have lots of silver coins & bars of varying weight, my great uncle used to give me one for my birthday every year for 20+ years until he passed on and I've bought a few of my own. I've been looking at those prices and it's tempting to sell. I'll probably wait, it's a pretty solid investment, even if the price does drop a bit. :dunno:

NQ6U
09-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Silver (and gold) keep going up. If silver hits $25/oz, I should sell those silver coins I've saved since high school.

Young whippersnappers. There wasn't no such thing as your fancy silver coins when I went to high school. No sir, back in my day, coins was made of stone, like God intended, and about three feet in diameter. Had to roll 'em to the store to pay for for a pound of mammoth meat then roll the change back home and it was uphill both ways.

Kids these days have it too soft.

WØTKX
09-23-2010, 07:52 PM
http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/berger_grits_gold/

kc7jty
09-23-2010, 08:00 PM
pound of mammoth meat
Woolly?

NQ6U
09-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Woolly?

Whatever we could get. Couldn't be picky back in them days. We were lucky if we ate before a sabertooth tiger or cave bear ate us.

kc7jty
09-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I like the way the gold buyer commercials paint women's old gold jewelery as yucky, out of style, wouldn't be caught dead with that shit, old, dried, bodily secretions, unpleasant memories, dust mites, bed bugs, etc, etc.

al2n
09-23-2010, 08:22 PM
I sold my silver at $18. Bought most of it around 3 or 4 bucks and ounce. Waiting for the price to fall again to buy more.

Wishing I had bought some gold when it was around 300.

Found I get more selling on Ebay rather than going to a smelter or dealer.

W3WN
09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
If you must...

Have your gold and silver weighed before you do anything, so that you know what you have.

Check with several buyers. Don't settle for the first offer of cash.

Don't mail your stuff. If they short you, how can you prove it?

Do you have a friend in law enforcement? Ask them to accompany you, even if it's out of their jurisdiction (offer them coffee and a couple of doughnuts). Puts the fear of God in some of the less than reputable dealers.

Deal with an established shop, not someone working out of a hotel room. You'll usually get a better price.

Remember, they expect to make a profit, so they're not going to offer you full value.

My wife sold off some gold a few months back. Mainly odds and ends, busted chains and so forth... and ironically enough, hers and mine old wedding rings (from each of our first marriages). One outfit lowballed her for $250 or so; she ended up getting close to $800. But for the gold only; the old silver chains and jewelry, nobody wanted.

Oh, almost forgot. Gold and silver coins -- check with a coin shop. Often, especially if they're in good or better condition, you'll get more than they're worth in weight. Especially if you have something that collectors are seeking... supply and demand...

Of course, as always, YMMV, VWPBL(STn)

kc7jty
09-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Found I get more selling on Ebay rather than going to a smelter or dealer.

Thought of advertising on Craigs list, but then you run the risk of some goons getting your address and coming by for a freebie.

kc7jty
09-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Oh, almost forgot. Gold and silver coins -- check with a coin shop. Often, especially if they're in good or better condition, you'll get more than they're worth in weight. Especially if you have something that collectors are seeking... supply and demand...

Good advice, I have silver dollars that aren't rare but are in extra fine condition. Definitely worth more that the current 16/17x value.
http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1878_morgan_silver_dollar.jpg http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1921_silver_peace_dollar.jpg

n6hcm
09-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Oh, almost forgot. Gold and silver coins -- check with a coin shop.

check with more than one coin dealer. also, inventory your stuff (by year, condition, and mint mark--the mint mark appears in different locations on different coins). and *don't* clean them with anything that isn't water--"polished" and "shiny" don't enhance the value of your coins unless the lustre is natural.

kc7jty
09-26-2010, 01:03 AM
patina

N7YA
09-26-2010, 05:25 AM
Ive never sold any of my old coins, the age alone is the majority of the value to collectors. I say hang on to them unless your power is shut off or something.

n6hcm
09-27-2010, 02:08 AM
Ive never sold any of my old coins, the age alone is the majority of the value to collectors.

actually, that's not true. condition and rarity are more important ... for instance, the type of dollar coins shown above (the morgan and peace dollars) are pretty common for most years and mints ... a few years/mint mark combinations ("key dates") have great value, but most of those coins in average conditions are worth just a small premium over melt.

KC9ECI
09-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Whatever we could get. Couldn't be picky back in them days. We were lucky if we ate before a sabertooth tiger or cave bear ate us.

Lucky! They hadn't evolved yet when I was a kid. We just gnawed on rocks.

N7YA
09-27-2010, 02:55 PM
actually, that's not true. condition and rarity are more important ... for instance, the type of dollar coins shown above (the morgan and peace dollars) are pretty common for most years and mints ... a few years/mint mark combinations ("key dates") have great value, but most of those coins in average conditions are worth just a small premium over melt.

Very true. I was in a hurry yesterday and rushed my response. I know that limited production runs, errors, metal composition, "date over date", in ADDITION to age would have been a more intelligent answer. Basically, i was trying to encapsulate in one word...age. You are right for the correction.

N7YA
09-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Lucky! They hadn't evolved yet when I was a kid. We just gnawed on rocks.

....sooo, Tom....were we supposed to actually stop gnawing on rocks past a certain age? Where the hell have i been?

W5RB
09-27-2010, 08:33 PM
In any game , there are fun players , and serious players . When the Hunts tried to corner the silver market in '79 , as I recall , Dad sold many of his silver coins at 19x face value .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Bunker_Hunt