PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do you get high ?

n2ize
09-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Whether it be liquor, weed, or something else, the question here is...how often do you get loaded ?

kf0rt
09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
No more than once a day. Sometimes not even that much. :rofl:

kc7jty
09-21-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm into the loaded position daily, can't you tell?

KJ3N
09-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm into the loaded position daily, can't you tell?

Something you and Rudy have in common. ;) :lol:

W3WN
09-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Only about once every three years. I don't fly airlines all that often these days.

kf0rt
09-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Kinda tough getting a straight answer there, John. I wonder why that might be? :whistle:

ki4itv
09-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Just enough to worry that I might be sued for claiming it to be an altered state. :dunno:

KA5PIU
09-22-2010, 02:35 AM
Something you and Rudy have in common. ;) :lol:

Hello.

Actually that is the one thing I do not do.
I know a few people in the drug cartels and everyone says the same thing, 'Users are losers'.
Pretty much the prevailing attitude is that.
Amazing as this must sound, most want nothing to do with felons, getting busted is a massive blow, it means that you screwed up somehow.

W4RLR
09-22-2010, 03:09 AM
Like the song goes. "Once a day, every day, all day long". Vicodin is a wonderful thing. It takes the edge off chronic pain.

KG4CGC
09-22-2010, 03:14 AM
Like the song goes. "Once a day, every day, all day long". Vicodin is a wonderful thing. It takes the edge off chronic pain.
House fan?

VK3ZL
09-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Can't remember when I was last "normal"..I take so many meds each day for things the doc says will kill me if I don't, that I live in a state of absolute confusion all the time..I log on to the the Island often, to reassure myself that my general mental state is nearly on a par with even the most wacky of any of our members....Ultimately, this sometimes leads me to swallowing yet more meds to maintain some sort of lucidity, otherwise I will start thinking I am as insane as the rest of you..

There again I am probably correct..:hyper:

Bob..VK3ZL..

WØTKX
09-22-2010, 06:47 AM
^^^ I get "elevated" every day, by logging into the Island.

Second hand buzz from all these vermin thinkers.

:snicker:

W3MIV
09-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Last time I was snot-flinging drunk was about twenty years ago when a Dutchman friend who lives in Canada got married in my house. He and his fiancée (she from here) wanted a simple civil ceremony among friends and we let them use the hacienda for the ceremony and the festivities after. He arrived a few days before, and we sat and reminisced, spun yarns and killed off four or five bottles of vino veritas before launching into shooters of some sort. It remains very foggy to this day, but I well remember the consequences. Ooooooooooof!

I have been pretty much straight and sober since, though I do partake of the occasional imbibition. Daily, usually. Moderation is often a harsh lesson, but once learned is easily practiced.

I have never once been "high" on any drug. I have never smoked a joint, but passed many back and forth at gatherings during which I was sited betwixt a pair of indulging acquaintances. I have never sampled any of the popular paths to nirvana. I have used prescription pain meds on very rare occasions -- one not too terribly long ago -- but I have never gotten "high" on any that I was conscious of. I usually don't even have the prescriptions filled. Perhaps my usual state is such that it is hard to tell? My xyl thinks so, but that's another issue and we won't go there.

I have no moral aversion to their use, but never felt I needed a new "hobby" so to say. So, the poll does not include a category for which I can supply an answer.

ki4itv
09-22-2010, 09:04 AM
<snip>
I have no moral aversion to their use, but never felt I needed a new "hobby" so to say. So, the poll does not include a category for which I can supply an answer.

haha...hobby...good point.

One of the big things I try to get across to my kids about using drugs (other than health and social risk), is the incredible amount of time consumed by using them regularly. It waste A LOT of time. Mass quantities of time, time you will never get back, and probably won't miss until you turn around and look back.

An often overlooked side-effect with compounding consequences over the course of use.

w0aew
09-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Everything's been sorta blurry since 1970. But I was a real wreck before that.

Something about LBJ promising not to "send our boys" into SE Asia. I do remember that.

So what's been happening lately?

W3WN
09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Everything's been sorta blurry since 1970. But I was a real wreck before that.

Something about LBJ promising not to "send our boys" into SE Asia. I do remember that.

So what's been happening lately?
They came home.

ki4itv
09-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Some came home.

fixed. :)

PA5COR
09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
I missed the option: Never, i could have voted then...

NQ6U
09-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I have never once been "high" on any drug. [...] I have no moral aversion to their use, but never felt I needed a new "hobby" so to say.

That was the thing about unapproved supplements for me--it became a "hobby." Not only was I high as frequently as I could possibly manage, I spent a lot of time looking for new ways to get high. And I tried it all; some methods were good, most not so good. The problem was that I was spending so much time either high or trying to be that there were many other things I did not have time to do; getting a decent education was one of them. My life has been a lot harder than necessary for that, so you could say that I'm still paying the price for having fun thirty-five years ago.

So, while I'm with Albi in saying that I have no moral aversion to recreational drug use (and still think that it should be legal), I would say that it's a huge waste of time and human potential.

So, the poll does not include a category for which I can supply an answer.

Same here, really. I picked once a year, but that's not accurate either. Living with a recovering alcoholic, there is no booze kept in the house so I do what little drinking I do when I'm out at a restaurant. However, I do most of the driving in my family and because have a commercial drivers license, my allowable blood alcohol content is .04%--half of what people with regular drivers are allowed. That pretty much keeps a lid on my consumption.

kc7jty
09-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Krice, thanks for the tip. Not that I would anyway, but NO FANCY DRIVERS LICENSE FOR ME!

W3MIV
09-22-2010, 03:42 PM
The points about the waste of time are points well made. At some point, wasted time amounts to a wasted life.

My experience with drugs is vicarious, but that does not mean that I have not observed how the effects vary in detail by coincide in general. The dissolution of ambition and discipline seem universal in my acquaintances who have histories of what I shall euphemistically call "more than occasional social consumption." The few prodigies of my acquaintance (damned few) do not seem to have been influenced as badly in this regard, and I attribute that to the simple fact that they did not have to work as hard as did those less gifted. The average and less-than-average guys I grew up with, many of which are some few years younger than I and went through a more "focused" trial in the seventies than did I (I spent much of the sixties in the military before VN had time to destroy discipline, and I returned to civilian life far more mature than my confrères). Most seem to have struggled somewhat over the years since, and most still offer unconvincing defenses about their conduct and attitudes during that "missing" decade.

The "problem" then was far less daunting, and far less dangerous, than it seems now to be. The explosion of profit and competition to constantly raise the ante with newer and more fearsome addictives followed these "pioneers" of the illicit trades; back then, it seems to me, most of the available stuff was "softer" than now. Most of my friends did not dabble in heroin, cocaine or opium, but eagerly sought out marijuana and even hasheesh, which early on was harder to obtain than the former (which was everywhere). As the markets grew, however, the trade exploded exponentially. I would hate like hell to have kids to counsel now. Jack Weinberg famously said, "don't trust anyone over thirty" (a comment often wrongly attributed to either Jerry Rubin or Abby Hoffman), he was being facetious but expressing a reality that we all know to be true to the creed of nearly all adolescents.

Jeez, am I happy to be an OF that needs only to worry about the shit they're filling me with. That's enough of a task for me to handle.

kc7jty
09-22-2010, 04:01 PM
When I started in 1967 (age 17) hasheesh was as abundant as grass (suburban Philadelphia). I was getting the best black opiated (Firefox spell check doesn't like hasheesh or opiated) hash from my cousin. I remember it being $5/gram, $90/oz. When I could no longer get it I remember going through withdrawal.

It was black on the outside and pale green inside, and had the most wonderful sweet/resinous aroma (fresh and smoke). I think it was coming from Afghanistan.

kf0rt
09-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Some of my most ambitious times were times where chemical abuse of one form or another (alcohol, pot) were a daily "duty" so to speak. Decades ago... Of course, it's hard to rationally combine discipline and substance use and come to a positive correlation within societal norms, though I do believe that most regular pot users would admit to intense periods of focus (whether these periods are "wasted" or not is up to the individual). It also seems as if many of the "superstars" of our pop culture (ugh!) appear to be actually fueled by one narcotic or another, so it may not follow that the use itself drives the lethargy. At the same time, the standards of productivity here are purely subjective.

As strong as the correlation between substance abuse and lack of ambition/discipline seems to be, I've often pondered that much as the chicken and egg problem. Did the use create the lack, or might the truth be found in the reverse? After all, the more disciplined appear to be less inclined from the outset. Either way, there does appear to be a connection between the two. Further, are there enough samples at the ends of the spectrum (high-energy dopers and low-energy sobers) to maybe debunk the whole idea?

Maybe there have been some studies in this area.

n2ize
09-22-2010, 04:59 PM
That was the thing about unapproved supplements for me--it became a "hobby." Not only was I high as frequently as I could possibly manage, I spent a lot of time looking for new ways to get high. And I tried it all; some methods were good, most not so good. The problem was that I was spending so much time either high or trying to be that there were many other things I did not have time to do; getting a decent education was one of them. My life has been a lot harder than necessary for that, so you could say that I'm still paying the price for having fun thirty-five years ago.

So, while I'm with Albi in saying that I have no moral aversion to recreational drug use (and still think that it should be legal), I would say that it's a huge waste of time and human potential.

That's not nessesarily true. I guess you can argue that if someone is going to drink like a fish, day in and day out, and spend almost all their time either drunk or hung over then yes, that is a lot of time spent nursing a behavior while taking time away from other things. At the same time it's been shown that drinking prolongs life thus giving the person more time on average than non drinkers. Drugs like pot are actually a gift. Pot is actually more of a nutrient than a drug. It enables one to relax better, think better, become more creative, imaginative, etc. Some of our most brilliant computer geeks past and present were major potheads. Matter of fact pot and computers go together.

In college whenever I had very large amounts of work and studying to get through I used to use small amounts of codeine or hycodan. It actually helped me to study harder, longer, and remain very focused for long periods of time. Where I would have otherwise become distracted, restless, and laid the books down to do something else I found that under the influence of codeine or hycodan I could sit and work for the entire evening and into the morning without feeling edgy and restless bored, or distracted.. At the time I used these things in a careful and measured way taking care to make sure I allowed for periods of abstinence so as not to develop a habit. Even nowadays I might take a little codeine or a percocet or two when i need to sit and work on something that requires lengthy periods of extreme attention and focus.

I think how much time one "wastes" depends of how they go about their lives more than anything else. I have met people who argue that partying wastes too much of their time. the only thing is, were they not partying would they be doing anything productive or significant anyhow ? In many cases I could say ...NO. Of course there are people who probably party too much and would do better to spend a little more time getting something done. And, then, as a cited above there are circumstances where a little bit of partying can even enhance a persons creativity, productivity, focus, etc.

[

kf0rt
09-22-2010, 05:03 PM
That's not nessesarily true. I guess you can argue that if someone is going to drink like a fish, day in and day out, and spend almost all their time either drunk or hung over then yes, that is a lot of time spent nursing a behavior while taking time away from other things. At the same time it's been shown that drinking prolongs life thus giving the person more time on average than non drinkers. Drugs like pot are actually a gift. Pot is actually more of a nutrient than a drug. It enables one to relax better, think better, become more creative, imaginative, etc. Some of our most brilliant computer geeks past and present were major potheads. Matter of fact pot and computers go together.

In college whenever I had very large amounts of work and studying to get through I used to use small amounts of codeine or hycodan. It actually helped me to study harder, longer, and remain very focused for long periods of time. Where I would have otherwise become distracted, restless, and laid the books down to do something else I found that under the influence of codeine or hycodan I could sit and work for the entire evening and into the morning without feeling edgy and restless bored, or distracted.. At the time I used these things in a careful and measured way taking care to make sure I allowed for periods of abstinence so as not to develop a habit. Even nowadays I might take a little codeine or a percocet or two when i need to sit and work on something that requires lengthy periods of extreme attention and focus.

I think how much time one "wastes" depends of how they go about their lives more than anything else. I have met people who argue that partying wastes too much of their time. the only thing is, were they not partying would they be doing anything productive or significant anyhow ? In many cases I could say ...NO. Of course there are people who probably party too much and would do better to spend a little more time getting something done. And, then, as a cited above there are circumstances where a little bit of partying can even enhance a persons creativity, productivity, focus, etc.

Same here, really. I picked once a year, but that's not accurate either. Living with a recovering alcoholic, there is no booze kept in the house so I do what little drinking I do when I'm out at a restaurant. However, I do most of the driving in my family and because have a commercial drivers license, my allowable blood alcohol content is .04%--half of what people with regular drivers are allowed. That pretty much keeps a lid on my consumption.
Four words, John:

"Dancing With The Stars"

suddenseer
09-22-2010, 05:07 PM
You did not include "not enough" as an answer. Being diabetic, I have to really limit alcoholic drinks. I am trying to get my a1c under 6.0 (almost there). When I was on chemo last winter/spring I was smoking a very potent bud about twice a day. It really does stop the heaves. One of my dear friends kept me supplied. I would not mind more, but I stopped this summer. I practice kundalini yoga, so I can get very high from the serpent no costly chemicals.

N2NH
09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
No option that fits me. Once in 6 years and it didn't even work that time. Something's wrong when you go through over a half bottle of 151 and can't even get a buzz. And yes it was good as in not watered down. Can't exactly get high if you're on the meds, so drinking is regrettably off limits. With drug testing the way it is, I don't do anything illegal. Don't and will not.

KG4CGC
09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
You did not include "not enough" as an answer. Being diabetic, I have to really limit alcoholic drinks. I am trying to get my a1c under 6.0 (almost there). When I was on chemo last winter/spring I was smoking a very potent bud about twice a day. It really does stop the heaves. One of my dear friends kept me supplied. I would not mind more, but I stopped this summer. I practice kundalini yoga, so I can get very high from the serpent no costly chemicals.""
Ride the highway west, baby
Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake is long, seven miles
Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/doors/#share

kc7jty
09-22-2010, 06:46 PM
As strong as the correlation between substance abuse and lack of ambition/discipline seems to be, I've often pondered that much as the chicken and egg problem. Did the use create the lack, or might the truth be found in the reverse? After all, the more disciplined appear to be less inclined from the outset. Either way, there does appear to be a connection between the two.
:clap:

Why am I thinking of Jimi Hendrix?

al2n
09-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Last time I was snot-flinging drunk was about twenty years ago when a Dutchman friend who lives in Canada got married in my house. He and his fiancée (she from here) wanted a simple civil ceremony among friends and we let them use the hacienda for the ceremony and the festivities after. He arrived a few days before, and we sat and reminisced, spun yarns and killed off four or five bottles of vino veritas before launching into shooters of some sort. It remains very foggy to this day, but I well remember the consequences. Ooooooooooof!

I have been pretty much straight and sober since, though I do partake of the occasional imbibition. Daily, usually. Moderation is often a harsh lesson, but once learned is easily practiced.

I have never once been "high" on any drug. I have never smoked a joint, but passed many back and forth at gatherings during which I was sited betwixt a pair of indulging acquaintances. I have never sampled any of the popular paths to nirvana. I have used prescription pain meds on very rare occasions -- one not too terribly long ago -- but I have never gotten "high" on any that I was conscious of. I usually don't even have the prescriptions filled. Perhaps my usual state is such that it is hard to tell? My xyl thinks so, but that's another issue and we won't go there.

About the same here.

Got drunk once many years ago and have since enjoyed moderation. Gotten a buzz off of nicotine a time or two when trying a strong cigar, but is as far as it goes for me.

Been around friends and family when they have been doing drugs of one sort or another. I would be for making drugs legal. Would cut down the crime involved with them and then they could of course be taxed and regulated like alcohol and tobacco.

kc7jty
09-22-2010, 06:57 PM
""
Ride the highway west, baby
Ride the snake, ride the snake
To the lake, the ancient lake, baby
The snake is long, seven miles
Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold

More lyrics: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/doors/#share

One of my favs, "Look what they've done to our sister the Earth"...
Heathkit (tube) stereo hi fi, high end Koss headphones, The Doors on the turntable, and one smoked up kid.

kf0rt
09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
:clap:

Why am I thinking of Jimi Hendrix?

I was thinkin' Willie Nelson, but okay.... ;)

KJ3N
09-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I was thinkin' Willie "I've out-lived my pecker" Nelson, but okay.... ;)

Fixed. :rofl:

kf0rt
09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Fixed. :rofl:

"Used up" may apply more than "burnt out." :rofl:

suddenseer
09-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Don't like the drugs, but the drugs like me....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EefPcht54c&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EefPcht54c&ob=av2e

n2ize
09-22-2010, 09:33 PM
No option that fits me. Once in 6 years and it didn't even work that time. Something's wrong when you go through over a half bottle of 151 and can't even get a buzz. And yes it was good as in not watered down. Can't exactly get high if you're on the meds, so drinking is regrettably off limits. With drug testing the way it is, I don't do anything illegal. Don't and will not.

When I was working in the highly classified area (which i cannot discuss here) all drugs and drink were off. I was pretty much the same, i could down a quart of 200 proof and it had no effect. Guys and gals were doing it, and there was some crazy stuff going on and I could have been in on it. But I kept a clean head and steered clear of the lust and vices. These days we're exempt from drug testing so I can party with no worry of repercussions.. But in those formidable days all bets were off.

n2ize
09-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Four words, John:

"Dancing With The Stars"

I don;t know how this latter paragraph made it into my post.

Guess i forgot to snip snip or quote quote. In any event, it's not mine.

WØTKX
09-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Have you done your librarian lately?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fiXlIrVnxU

W4RLR
09-24-2010, 12:47 AM
House fan?Yup. But I don't pop them like candy. I only get 90 pills/30 days. The DEA frowns on my pain management doctor prescribing more.

KG4CGC
09-24-2010, 01:14 AM
That's good and bad.
I can't take drugs.
I build up a tolerance immediately.
They don't work after a couple of days.
Same with alcohol. If I want to drink at a party, I must plan ahead. Must go totally dry for at least 2 weeks. Not even a couple beers in the evening.

W7XF
09-24-2010, 01:50 AM
Hey....I'm straightedge.... so where's NEVER at?????

n6hcm
09-26-2010, 12:52 AM
there's no choice for me either. i don't use anything that i can't get from the pharmacy: it's not really my style ...

last week i had an unplanned visit to the emergency room which got me a fat lot of morphine (which relieved the pain but made me nauseous) and a few days' supply of vicodin and a muscle relaxant for what i thought was a kidney stone but turned out to be a muscle spasm (!!). that's as close to "high" as i get.

KG4CGC
09-26-2010, 04:22 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/4lhmaf.jpg

n2ize
09-26-2010, 04:36 AM
Hey....I'm straightedge.... so where's NEVER at?????

I didn't include a "never" option because I wanted the poll to be inclusive of people who do get "high" and exclude those who don't.

KG4CGC
09-26-2010, 04:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_AV7ghU5ZQhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_AV7ghU5ZQ

N7YA
09-26-2010, 05:20 AM
I dont touch cigarettes, hate em. I dont drink, save for VERY special occasions, then its one drink or a shot. No pills unless a doctor says i have to take them, and even then, i always think its just being pushed on me from some pharmie company. Ive done most drugs you can name, but no more. I do like weed and really dont give a rats ass who looks down on me for it...so far, nobodys given me much guff about it. But even then, i can do without it and i only smoke at the very end of the day when there is nothing important left to do.

Like right about now. :-D

n6hcm
09-27-2010, 02:12 AM
I do like weed and really dont give a rats ass who looks down on me for it...

see, i feel cheated. it just makes me sleepy ... although it's been about 20 years since i've had any, so things may have changed.

W3MIV
09-27-2010, 09:17 AM
see, i feel cheated. it just makes me sleepy ... although it's been about 20 years since i've had any, so things may have changed.

Alas, they have likely gotten worse. Other than spirits, few things improve with age.

N7YA
09-27-2010, 04:19 PM
From what ive observed over the 30+ years ive enjoyed weed (on and off, of course), its quality has gone through the roof! At least something didnt take the cheap shortcut route. Many old hippies have agreed with this. :)