PDA

View Full Version : Chase Online

W3WN
09-20-2010, 03:02 PM
If you're fortunate enough not to be a customer of JP Morgan Chase Bank, then you may not be aware of the problems they had with the chase.com website last week. It was down for something like 5 days.

Unfortunately, we have 3 accounts with them... 2nd mortgage (had been WaMu which Chase bought), credit card, and car loan (sold to them by Mazda credit). 2 of the 3 were due last week in the midst of the outage

Got the credit card payment in by phone via a human being on time without a problem, outside of a 15 minute wait. But I couldn't get ahold of a person on the mortgage side, so I had to use their "automated" telephone support... for which they charge a $15 fee. Outrageous, but I didn't want my payment to be late, that's a $35 fee. (I normally wait until the end of the grace period, that way the payment comes out of my 2nd paycheck for the month)

Site's back up, we've gotten numerous emails apologizing over and over for the inconvenience. And most say that they will waive any late fees.

This is where the "fine print" comes in. They won't give me the $15 phone charge back. See, it's technically not a "late" fee. Even though I had to resort to this with their site down due to no fault of my own -- which they acknowledge -- I'm now told I should have waited until the site was back up, accepted the late fee, and then asked for them to reverse it. Which they would have gladly done.

Right.

Did I mention, by the way, that during the course of the outage, my password got trashed by the web site? I was told it was up, but that wasn't entirely true, as I found out the hard way. So I couldn't have made the payment online anyway until it was too late.

So much for electronic banking. If they don't fix this, well then it's back to mailing them a check. Costs them more to process, but a $.44 stamp is much less aggravation to me.

Promises to fix all that went astray during their problem... and then using the fine print to weasel out of it. Wonder if Chase has BP as one of their clients?

W2NAP
09-20-2010, 03:35 PM
id just mail a check.

kf0rt
09-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Ugh. That's a mess, Ron.

Knock on wood, I'm still having better luck with e-banking than paper. Just got a past-due notice last week from the Waste Management folks. They're one of the few bills left that I pay with a check because they won't auto-charge to a credit card. Never saw the original bill. :dunno:

K7SGJ
09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Don't quit now. You just haven't found the "right" person to deal with. Obviously, the people on the phone don't have the authority to be creative. Try the branch manager, or if necessary, go over his head to a district manager. Keep going all the way to the home office if necessary. As long as you are calm and persistant, you will prevail. After all, $15 is nothing to them. In these times, to us it's a fortune.

NA4BH
09-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Sounds like you are having a problem with your ISP. Why not give us your PIN and username so some of us can try it on other providers. :lol: :lol: :whistle:

kc7jty
09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Chase (who took over WaMu) here has been trying to win over customers.

I'm with Wells Fargo, they treat me like a king, (they ought to, I'm getting something like .001% interest)
I can fire a paper check for any amount to anyone/business, for free, in the USA online via the keypad & the USPS.

W4GPL
09-20-2010, 08:26 PM
You know what I recently discovered the other day?

My "free" checking account from Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) is charging $2 to deposit ACH transfers. All direct deposits (for payroll), PayPal xfers, etc.. nice, eh? And this is all a result of the banking "reform" -- my ass.

N2CHX
09-20-2010, 08:48 PM
$15 is nothing to them.

Hey, that's some bank exec's hors d'oeuvres at his luncheon tomorrow. You really gonna deprive him of that?

N2CHX
09-20-2010, 08:49 PM
D works for HSBC, so you know where I do my banking...

Sorry for your Chase troubles, that sucks.

N2CHX
09-20-2010, 08:51 PM
And this is all a result of the banking "reform" -- my ass.

Banking reform = Mo money for the bank.

NA4BH
09-20-2010, 08:57 PM
You know what I recently discovered the other day?

My "free" checking account from Wachovia (now Wells Fargo) is charging $2 to deposit ACH transfers. All direct deposits (for payroll), PayPal xfers, etc.. nice, eh? And this is all a result of the banking "reform" -- my ass.

They're putting a fscking on you, they don't charge us a thing for stuff like that.

W4GPL
09-20-2010, 09:09 PM
They're putting a fscking on you, they don't charge us a thing for stuff like that.Have you checked since then new banking reforms went into play (August 16th)? This is happening on both my business & personal Wachovia accounts as of that date.

NA4BH
09-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Have you checked since then new banking reforms went into play (August 16th)? This is happening on both my business & personal Wachovia accounts as of that date.

Just asked the Wife about it (she takes care of that stuff), she said NO. Believe me, I would drop them like a hot turd. The ATM here is usually down and it costs me a couple of bucks to get money (which they don't refund). Pisses me off.

W4GPL
09-20-2010, 09:56 PM
I called them and my only option was to upgrade to a pay-per-month plan or what I'm on now.. Not sure why you'd be any different.

I can pretty much close my personal account with them, I have a credit union I use that is much more agreeable. Unfortunately, due to my merchant account and other hassles, it's a bitch to change the business account.

NA4BH
09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
I called them and my only option was to upgrade to a pay-per-month plan or what I'm on now.. Not sure why you'd be any different.

I can pretty much close my personal account with them, I have a credit union I use that is much more agreeable. Unfortunately, due to my merchant account and other hassles, it's a bitch to change the business account.

I don't know why either? But it is business as usual here. Maybe they haven't gotten to me yet. If and when they do, GOODBYE.

They hold my mortgage, savings, checking, and securities. Big loss for them, should they choose to "DO ME".

K7SGJ
09-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Hey, that's some bank exec's hors d'oeuvres at his luncheon tomorrow. You really gonna deprive him of that?

I'll bet you could stick some toothpicks in some pieces of dog shit and they wouldn't know the difference.

kc7jty
09-20-2010, 10:48 PM
I get all the perks because my SSD check is direct deposit. Never pay a fee or charge, I always transfer from one account to another electronically, pay all bills on line, get free checks, no min amount req in either account, and almost never have over $2k total in both accounts.

kf0rt
09-21-2010, 06:57 AM
Credit Unions rule. :whistle:

K7SGJ
09-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Credit Unions rule. :whistle:

Absoulutely. Changed over 30+ years ago and never looked back. All kinds of gratis services and very few problems compared to the other banking institutions I've used over the years. However, I do have a side business account at Wells Fargo that has been active for quite a few years, and they have been very good to me, too.

W3WN
09-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Chase Online hasn't replied to me yet. If I don't hear from them within the next 24 hours, I'll escalate this further.

Found another "gotcha" with them this morning. Wife forgot to mail the car payment... now we can do that online, but Chase charges $10 for the priviledge. Well, at least that's cheaper than a late fee.

So, go online, and I see that we can set up her banking account and then schedule a payment (as opposed to making an "instant" payment). So we do that. Guess what? You have to schedule a payment for a car loan at least 2 days in advance. The system won't let you make the schedule the same day or the day before... one way to gouge procrastinators out of another $10.

Nice.

n2ize
09-21-2010, 10:09 AM
The Tea party will put a stop to this... Just don't hold your breath.

W3WN
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
The Tea Party will soon collapse under it's own weight, as it is permitting itself to be manipulated by the media and infiltrators.

Or as they're asking in DE right now, "How do you know she's a witch?" (Anybody turned into a newt? And I don't mean Newt Gingrich)

n2ize
09-21-2010, 10:26 AM
The Tea Party will soon collapse under it's own weight, as it is permitting itself to be manipulated by the media and infiltrators.

Or as they're asking in DE right now, "How do you know she's a witch?" (Anybody turned into a newt? And I don't mean Newt Gingrich)

Well, lets put her on a scale and see if she weights the same as a duck. Anyone have any cement blocks and weights to donate ? :)

W4RLR
09-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Credit Unions rule. :whistle:Yuppers, but you usually can't run a business account with a credit union. None of the credit unions around here offer business accounts.

W3WN
09-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Received another message from Chase Online this morning. My follow-up comments did indeed to further up the food chain, and my request to have the $15 fee refunded is being "considered" and I should know something within 30 days.

But I'm not holding my breath waiting.

kf0rt
09-22-2010, 11:35 AM
It's 15 bucks. They spent more than that "considering" it.

KG4CGC
09-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Ron, our local CBS affiliate has a segment on their local (channel 7) news called, 7 On Your Side. People with problems dealing with companies that practice poor customer service or outright scams can call the station and answer a few questions and see if they want to run it on their consumer advocacy segment.
If they choose to run it, established companies like Chase suddenly want to bend over backwards to keep their image, chaste. Of course, you will have to sell the idea and explain how they can exploit it. Things like how they make obscene money freely with these practices etc etc. You will have to wait to call them so that Chase has a chance to either return or deny you money. Also remind the local station that if we allow this to continue unchecked ... got it!

K7SGJ
09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Ron, our local CBS affiliate has a segment on their local (channel 7) news called, 7 On Your Side. People with problems dealing with companies that practice poor customer service or outright scams can call the station and answer a few questions and see if they want to run it on their consumer advocacy segment.
If they choose to run it, established companies like Chase suddenly want to bend over backwards to keep their image, chaste. Of course, you will have to sell the idea and explain how they can exploit it. Things like how they make obscene money freely with these practices etc etc. You will have to wait to call them so that Chase has a chance to either return or deny you money. Also remind the local station that if we allow this to continue unchecked ... got it!

We have the same thing here, Ch 3. Those reporters are really something. They can even get the companies to bend over forward. Very few go unresolved of in favor of the company, but then if they did, we probably wouldn't watch.

W3WN
09-23-2010, 08:08 AM
No to worry. I have an "in" at one of the local TV stations, so I can get a foot in the door if I have to.

But you have to watch some of these reporters. There used to be a local guy using the name "Mike Bogasloski... and I'm in YOUR corner!" who suddenly left the air with little explanation. There were a lot of rumors of how he actually got some of the firms to bend over, and some were unsavory -- but those were rumors, nothing factual.

KG4CGC
09-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey, the guy had his career to think about.
LOL!
I don't know! Just looking for a smart ass thing to say!