PDA

View Full Version : New Folder in Windows 7 Home

W4BD
09-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Well how do you make new folders in Windows 7 Home. I want to use dosbox and Super Morse and I want to put them in a folder by themselves. I was able to do it on my XP puter and SM runs fine on it. Now I want to do it on the Win 7 machine and I have looked and looked but haven't found anything in help. So anybody know how to do this and by the way I don't want to use another OS.

kf0rt
09-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Bring up Windows Explorer and browse to where you want the new folder.
On the menu bar at the top of the window, there should be an item that says "New Folder."
Click that.

WØTKX
09-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Windows 7 has this "Libraries" feature that takes a little getting used to.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/08/05/how-to-disable-and-remove-libraries-from-windows-7-explorer/

Library provides conveniences such as searching in a library will automatically federates the query to the all folders included in the library, including those that located in remote systems, in addition to searching on the local system. Library also supports transparent saving of files and folders into library with the backing of physical location, where the default save location for a library can be configure by the user.

In Windows 7 Explorer, Libraries special folder is prominently displayed on the navigation pane, with four default libraries for different file types: Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos, which pre-configured to include the user’s profile folders for these respective file types, as well as the computer’s corresponding Public folders.

Not all users will like the Library feature in Windows 7 though. Some users may prefer to manage and organize their files with just normal folders. Furthermore, Library takes up a rather large area of screen estate in the Windows Explorer navigation pane, effectively causing regular folders tree harder to access and reach.

W4BD
09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Well the more I look at Windows 7 the less I like it. I got the new folder made and I got Super Morse copied into it. I have got to run and go do some work so I will play with it tonight.

Thanks for the quick come back on my question.

kf0rt
09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
automatically federates the query

That kinda talk makes me all tingly.

NQ6U
09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
That kinda talk makes me all tingly.

:lol: You're sick. I admire that.

WØTKX
09-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Yea, weird huh?

Found libraries to be useful at work, for various crap in shared network directories.
Using it for music and other media collections is pretty useful.

Learned a long time ago to do it "Bill's Way", though counter intuitive at times.

kf0rt
09-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Yea, weird huh?

Found libraries to be useful at work, for various crap in shared network directories.
Using it for music and other media collections is pretty useful.

Learned a long time ago to do it "Bill's Way", though counter intuitive at times.

I tried the library thing, and it seemed like it wanted to copy all the files into the library. Izzat how it works? I figured it would make pointers instead of copying the whole 160 Gig. I need a copy of Windows 7 for Dummies.

N1LAF
09-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Well the more I look at Windows 7 the less I like it.

You are not alone. Do a Google search on "Windows 7 sucks" and see the complaints galore. I see so many compatibility problems, less operational functionality, more blank space... what it comes to is that Windows 7 is nothing more than Vista 2.

WØTKX
09-20-2010, 02:13 PM
No, it's setting up the associations and other file info for searching and finding it easily. This gets saved to a library file.

Like a Linux symbolic link, kinda... but done visually.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-us/?Refinement=1002%2c107&Query=libraries

kf0rt
09-20-2010, 02:36 PM
You are not alone. Do a Google search on "Windows 7 sucks" and see the complaints galore. I see so many compatibility problems, less operational functionality, more blank space... what it comes to is that Windows 7 is nothing more than Vista 2.

Given the size of their user base, if only 50 million people think it sucks, they've done quite well. Most "in the know" see Win 7 as a vast improvement over Vista.

N1LAF
09-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Given the size of their user base, if only 50 million people think it sucks, they've done quite well. Most "in the know" see Win 7 as a vast improvement over Vista.

Even computer amateurs can tell you that Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista, no brainer there.

However, I have not determined that Windows 7 is a vast improvement over XP. XP wasn't a vast improvement over Windows 98SE until after service pack 1A. I have Windows operating systems from Windows 286, stayed with Win3.11 wfw until Windows 98, then jumped to XP SP1A. I also have experience with Win NT 3.5.1, 4, and 2K. I have put my own systems together from pieces bought from computer fairs. I still have a 486 running, first of the VESA local buses.

Today, I don't have the time to spend on computers as I have in the past, so Linux has always been on the back burner, and Macs, well I could never find specific files, such as simple bookmarks, but that was pre OS-X days.

XP very rarely crashes on anything, more noticeable on shut down on non-responsive Microsoft products. Other than those very rare occasions, XP is solid.

I do not appreciate Windows 7, designed for the dumb user. I rather organize my own file folders thank you, and do not like the new Start menu. I like the small icons on my quick launch bar, not the bloated spaces in Windows 7. Windows 7 has so many incompatibilities and inconsistencies it is not settling, to the point I don't know what I get. Programs that Windows 7 run on some machines, will not run on others. No Windows Classics option - Microsoft way or too bad...

The conclusion I am coming to is that Windows 7 is really Vista 2.0. No sir, I do not like Windows 7 very much

From "one in the know"....

kf0rt
09-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Even computer amateurs can tell you that Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista, no brainer there.

However, I have not determined that Windows 7 is a vast improvement over XP. XP wasn't a vast improvement over Windows 98SE until after service pack 1A. I have Windows operating systems from Windows 286, stayed with Win3.11 wfw until Windows 98, then jumped to XP SP1A. I also have experience with Win NT 3.5.1, 4, and 2K. I have put my own systems together from pieces bought from computer fairs. I still have a 486 running, first of the VESA local buses.

Today, I don't have the time to spend on computers as I have in the past, so Linux has always been on the back burner, and Macs, well I could never find specific files, such as simple bookmarks, but that was pre OS-X days.

XP very rarely crashes on anything, more noticeable on shut down on non-responsive Microsoft products. Other than those very rare occasions, XP is solid.

I do not appreciate Windows 7, designed for the dumb user. I rather organize my own file folders thank you, and do not like the new Start menu. I like the small icons on my quick launch bar, not the bloated spaces in Windows 7. Windows 7 has so many incompatibilities and inconsistencies it is not settling, to the point I don't know what I get. Programs that Windows 7 run on some machines, will not run on others. No Windows Classics option - Microsoft way or too bad...

The conclusion I am coming to is that Windows 7 is really Vista 2.0. No sir, I do not like Windows 7 very much

From "one in the know"....

Never got around to trying Vista here, but the reviews seemed bad out of the gate on that version. Not nearly as bad with Win 7. I do agree however, that new OS's don't seem to offer much more than a learning curve. Most of the problems we're seeing at work (we develop for the Windows platform) deals with the 64-bit version. The 32-bit version (what I run at home) appears to be every bit as solid as XP.

I'm really thinking the 64-bit stuff is mostly marketing ploy, and it really reminds me of Intel creating their HORRIBLE segmented processor architecture to allow 8/16 bit compatibility way back when. Microsoft has done something very similar (in premise) with their Windows-on-Windows (WOW, go figger) architecture that allows 32-bit apps to run on 64-bit Win 7. I'm sure 64-bit Vista did the same, and it's really ugly "under the hood." The one real advantage of the 64-bit OS is that it breaks the 4 Gig RAM barrier. Other than that, most apps can't use it. But, ya gotta start somewhere.

In general, I'm okay with how they did the look/feel in Win 7. Most of what I've run into is like going to the grocery store after they've rearranged the aisles. It's pretty much all all there, but you may have to hunt for it the first time or two if you're used to XP. I've also noticed a convergence between Windows, Linux and OSX. Textless task bar at the bottom, etc. I like that, and don't even use the "quick" thing any more. When I bought the parts to build this machine (home box) about 2 years ago, I bought a copy of Vista and never used it because it wouldn't work with my Epson 2450 scanner. Under Win 7, the scanner works again. And, everything I was running under XP seems to run fine under Win 7.

Outside of your general dislike of the user interface, I'm betting that the real problems lie in the 64-bit stuff. I kinda like Win 7 (been running it at home for over a year), but is it substantially better than XP? Probably not.

kf0rt
09-20-2010, 05:13 PM
No, it's setting up the associations and other file info for searching and finding it easily. This gets saved to a library file.

Like a Linux symbolic link, kinda... but done visually.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-us/?Refinement=1002%2c107&Query=libraries

I'll read that in a sec, but... Here's what I got.

Added a directory to the "Music" library. This is MY music library - about 160 Gig of MP3 files, organized in a directory tree. I point Windows Explorer to the new library and search for "Fleetwood." Yet, if I open the MP3 library, everything is there.

Here's the result:
http://westton.com/misc/win7lib1.jpg

No matter what I search for, the result is always the same: "No items match your search."

NQ6U
09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Most "in the know" see Win 7 as a vast improvement over Vista.

Of course, that's much like saying waterboarding is a vast improvement over actually drowning.

WØTKX
09-20-2010, 05:19 PM
It should index. Does that Mp3 folder have the "system" permission? :chin:

kf0rt
09-20-2010, 06:07 PM
It should index. Does that Mp3 folder have the "system" permission? :chin:

Yup.

Not real critical here, but maybe there's an aftermarket dealie that will just give me a GUI into a DOS-like search. :rofl:

kf0rt
09-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Of course, that's much like saying waterboarding is a vast improvement over actually drowning.

Can't disagree. If I had life to live over, I'da stayed the hell away from computers.

W3WN
09-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Naturally.

Windows 7 IS Vista 2.0. And it's really Windows 6.5.