PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my Alinco HT, sorta...

N2CHX
09-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Two years ago my cute little Alinco DJ-C7t got wet during a kayak trip. It was in a plastic bag no less... Anyway, the display went wonky and it was never the same. It's been in a plastic bag all ripped apart for two years now. I took it to work today and decided to try to revive it. Got it all working again and even repaired the plastic case which was cracked, by melting some plastic and filling in a missing part with it and then smoothing it down with an emery board. The display still isn't right, it's still missing part of some digits, but enough I can pretty much read it and it's a lot better than it was. I can't for the life of me figure out what is killing it, as I cleaned all the oxidation off and cleaned the contacts. Weird.

Anyway at least it works at all. I like it because it's tiny and it has 2m and 440, plus it can receive pretty much anything a scanner can up to 512 mHz I think, including the aircraft band.

K7SGJ
09-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I've got one of those, too. It's a nice tiny little radio. However, out where I live, there are no repeaters that I can work. I mainly use it around the house with another radio I put in cross band repeat mode. Works FB. I also picked up a DJ-X7T receiver that I use for an commercial FM and 900Mhz receiver. Very small and very cool.

W2NAP
09-18-2010, 04:13 PM
i got a alinco dj-DJ-580 biggest issue i have had with it is the bnc on top of the radio center lead breaks solder connection every couple of months and i have to take it apart and resolder it.

other then that decent radio, mainly listens to 146.580 and APD on the 440 side

KC2UGV
09-18-2010, 04:44 PM
i got a alinco dj-DJ-580 biggest issue i have had with it is the bnc on top of the radio center lead breaks solder connection every couple of months and i have to take it apart and resolder it.

And I thouht that was restricted to SMA connectors on ht's. My HTX-420 needs the same TLC.

W2NAP
09-19-2010, 07:59 PM
had a IC-T7A that died due to the BNC issue and this 580 same problems, just the 580 is easier to keep working.

N2CHX
09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
And I thouht that was restricted to SMA connectors on ht's. My HTX-420 needs the same TLC.

I had an HTX-202 that always needed the BNC soldered. The SMA on the Alinco is actually pretty solid.

KC2UGV
09-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I had an HTX-202 that always needed the BNC soldered. The SMA on the Alinco is actually pretty solid.

Ya learn something every day :)

NQ6U
09-19-2010, 09:03 PM
I picked up an Icom IC-T22 HT for fifty bucks because it had low RF output. I opened the case and found that the lead from the RF board to the center conductor of the BNC connector had broken. Two minutes with a soldering iron and all was well.

W2NAP
09-19-2010, 09:13 PM
tbh, i think the problem is the ducky antennas. both the t7h and this 580 had after market antennas installed (came that way when i got them used) they work quite well. but do to the length of it swinging back and forth when its on your side puts to much stress on the connection which eventually breaks.

i will say the icom i had lasted over a year b4 it failed (bnc connection) but i could never get it apart to fix the damn thing so i just sold it as parts. the 580 i can tear down repair and put back together in about 30 mins. just a pain in the ass having to do this every couple of months.

N2CHX
09-20-2010, 06:00 AM
Ya learn something every day :)

Well, the antenna on the DJ is also only about six inches long and very skinny. Not sure how much strain it could really put on the connector but it seems solid.

KA9MOT
09-20-2010, 09:10 AM

I had a DJ-580 that had the same problem. I took a resistor lead, bent it into a "U" cut it to length and very carefully soldered 1 end to the enter post and one end to the board. Never had a problem again.

W2NAP
09-20-2010, 07:07 PM
I had a DJ-580 that had the same problem. I took a resistor lead, bent it into a "U" cut it to length and very carefully soldered 1 end to the enter post and one end to the board. Never had a problem again.

next time mine snaps. ill try this