PDA

View Full Version : What NOT to do When Going Away...

N2NH
09-17-2010, 04:43 AM
You'd think this would be an episode on The Simpsons, but it's not. You might as well call this "Come and get it!" More candidates for this years Darwin Award and this was just in some small town. Imagine a place like say, New York or Los Angeles...

If you plan to log into your Facebook account and announce to the world that you’re heading to the beach for the weekend, you might want to append the status update with a warning that your home is under 24-hour surveillance, you have a 140-pound Rottweiler who hasn’t eaten in a week and that you own a really good alarm system.

If you don’t, you personal belongings could be fodder for some tech-savvy burglars.

According to New Hampshire’s WMUR Channel 9 News, three local men, Mario Rojas, Leonardo Barroso and Victor Rodriguez, have burglarized more than 18 homes in the Nashua area of New Hampshire simply by checking status updates on Facebook and then pillaging the houses of victims who announced on the social network that they were not home.
:doh:

You know, that Sheriff Andy Taylor stuff* wouldn't have caught them here...

Burglars Said to Have Picked Houses Based on Facebook Updates (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/burglars-picked-houses-based-on-facebook-updates/)

*in the linked to story - you'll just have to click it.

n2ize
09-17-2010, 05:37 AM
It is very dumb to tell the world "I am not at home". I even remember someone suggesting that hams shouldn't mention they are going on vacation over the local vhf/uhf repeater. Noit only because some unscrupulous hams might here and act on it but, anyone with a scanner can listen in, look up your call, and show up when you're not home.

KC2SIS
09-17-2010, 06:31 AM
I never announce to the world weather on Facebook, Myspace and messageboards that I'm going to be away. Yeah there is usually always someone there and we have 2 S&W's strategically located if they really want to try.

W1GUH
09-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Especially if you've got an extensive collection of BA's that's plastered all over the net.

W3WN
09-17-2010, 08:08 AM
You should only announce your being on vacation when you return.

Then you'll find out if anyone actually missed you.

KA5PIU
09-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Hello.

Worse by far!
http://foursquare.com/

n2ize
09-17-2010, 11:46 AM
You should only announce your being on vacation when you return.

Then you'll find out if anyone actually missed you.

With the ol;' shotgun close at hand. LOL...

N7RJD
09-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Only announce leaving on vacation when you're actually not and want to spend a day or
two sitting with a shotgun waiting. Sure it's illegal to set someone up like that and shoot
them in most states but any great recreational activity has it's risks.

W3WN
09-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Worse by far!
http://foursquare.com/

What a horrible site! You'd think with a name like that it would have SOMETHING to do with a phased antenna array!

n2ize
09-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Only announce leaving on vacation when you're actually not and want to spend a day or
two witting with a shotgun waiting. Sure it's illegal to set someone up like that and shoot
them in most states but any great recreational activity has it's risks.

Well, when someone breaks into the home while you are in there I must be viewed as a threat. The person could be armed and dangerous. Not a good idea to take chances.

W4RLR
09-18-2010, 12:06 AM
Well, they could try. My actual physical address isn't posted anywhere. Look up my address on the FCC database, utility databases, etc, and you will get the address of where I get my mail. It's a packing and shipping service in the local shopping center.

If you DID find my actual physical address, and tried to look it up on Google Street View, you would again come up short. It shows a bunch of shrubbery taken from the main highway just to the west.