PDA

View Full Version : Clothes Make the Felon

N2NH
09-16-2010, 11:49 AM
An oddity that seems to have no explanation...

Since 2000, more than 100 people who have been suspects or persons of interest in connection with serious crimes in New York City wore Yankees apparel at the time of the crimes or at the time of their arrest or arraignment. The tally is based on a review of New York Police Department news releases, surveillance video and images of robberies and other crimes, as well as police sketches and newspaper articles that described suspects’ clothing. No other sports team comes close.

The Mets, forever in the shadow of their Bronx rivals, are perhaps grateful to be losing this one: only about a dozen people in the same review were found to be wearing Mets gear.

“It’s a shame,” said Chuck Frantz, 57, the president of the 430-member Lehigh Valley Yankee Fan Club in Pennsylvania. “It makes us Yankees fans look like criminals, because of a few unfortunate people who probably don’t know the first thing about the Yankees.”

I think it's all the bootleggers out there. They know the Yankee brand is popular, and if you have to steal, you might as well make it a Bentley.

Crime Blotter Has a Regular: Yankees Caps (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/nyregion/16caps.html?src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB)

N8YX
09-16-2010, 11:53 AM
For some reason, Oakland Raiders jackets also attract their share of thuggery. Mostly by way of thieves wanting to steal them.

NQ6U
09-16-2010, 11:57 AM
For some reason, Oakland Raiders jackets also attract their share of thuggery.

Out this way, getting burgled, mugged, jacked etc. by a young man in a Raiders jacket is almost a cliché.

K7SGJ
09-16-2010, 12:00 PM
An oddity that seems to have no explanation...

I think it's all the bootleggers out there. They know the Yankee brand is popular, and if you have to steal, you might as well make it a Bentley.

Crime Blotter Has a Regular: Yankees Caps (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/nyregion/16caps.html?src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB)

It's really not that odd. The Yankees have been stealing bases for years.

KG4CGC
09-16-2010, 12:08 PM
The Raiders logo used to be a gang tag out here with the Bloods and Thug Life being a close second. Now we're seeing the Yankees logo making its way to overpasses and stop signs.

N2NH
09-17-2010, 01:46 AM
The Raiders logo used to be a gang tag out here with the Bloods and Thug Life being a close second. Now we're seeing the Yankees logo making its way to overpasses and stop signs.

Must be interesting to see in 4-land. The "interlocked" NY was designed by Tiffany & Co. in the 19th Century. The Yankees adopted it in 1909. That is the same Tiffany that invented the Tiffany Lamps and the famous store. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos_and_uniforms_of_the_New_York_Yankees)

And while most people think the color is Navy Blue, it's actually Midnight Blue which is even darker, about 1 notch off of black.
http://i53.tinypic.com/vifjwo.png

KG4CGC
09-17-2010, 02:07 AM
I am used to seeing it more in certain sections of town but bored teen males have adopted the symbols in more urbane areas.

n2ize
09-17-2010, 09:46 PM
What ever happened to the good old days when crooks wore pinstriped suits ?

KG4CGC
09-17-2010, 09:49 PM
What ever happened to the good old days when crooks wore pinstriped suits ?
An honest crook still shops at Men's Warehouse.

NA4BH
09-17-2010, 09:54 PM
I am used to seeing it more in certain sections of town but bored teen males have adopted the symbols in more urbane areas.

You got gang stuff up there?

Real question.

KG4CGC
09-17-2010, 09:59 PM
You got gang stuff up there?

Real question.
I think some of it is cop talk.
I think some of it is real.
I think some of it is bored teen males.
Everybody wants to wear a tag. Scars, tats, etc.

W4RLR
09-18-2010, 10:49 PM
I think some of it is cop talk.
I think some of it is real.
I think some of it is bored teen males.
Everybody wants to wear a tag. Scars, tats, etc.No scars, no tats, no etc. I prefer anonymity.

kf0rt
09-19-2010, 08:14 AM
No scars, no tats, no etc. I prefer anonymity.

Same here, but I'm leaving behind an incredible array of dental records.